BlackBerry might be releasing an Android phone

Bouzoo

Reuters reports that this might be happening. This is not officially confirmed, so as always, salt. But since we're at rumours 1) I actually trust Reuters more than other sites, 2) I don't see why this wouldn't happen. BlackBerry wants to get back in the game, so using the most popular OS isn't that far fetched. But the interesting part is that if this turns out to be true, Apple may not be buying them in the end. 

The sources, who asked not to be named as they have not been authorized to discuss the matter publicly, said the move to use Android is part of BlackBerry's strategy to pivot to focus on software and device management. BlackBerry, which once dominated smartphone sales, now has a market share of less than 1 percent.

"We don't comment on rumors and speculation, but we remain committed to the BlackBerry 10 operating system, which provides security and productivity benefits that are unmatched," said the company in an email.

A Google spokeswoman declined to comment.

BlackBerry Chief Executive John Chen is banking on the company's new device management system, BES12, that allows corporate and government clients to not only manage BlackBerry devices on their internal networks, but also devices powered by Android, Apple's iOS platform and Microsoft Corp's (MSFT.O) Windows operating system.

Two sources said that by launching an Android-based device of its own, BlackBerry would be sending a signal to skeptics that it is confident that the BES12 system can not only manage, but also secure smartphones and tablets powered by rival operating systems.

BlackBerry will probably use Android on an upcoming slider device that is likely to be released this autumn, two sources said. The slider will combine a touch screen with a physical keyboard that users can use if they prefer.

BlackBerry briefly showed off the slider device on stage at Mobile World Congress in Barcelona in March, but it has provided little detail on it since then.

Do you think this is likely to happen?

Source

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

Well that might help then quite a bit. If they try to focus on security they might have something to work with.

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

I actually like BB10.

CPU i5 3570k MOBO Asus Maximus Gene V GPU Asus DCUII 670 CASE Corsair 350D (windowless) SSD Crucial M550 256GB msata CPU COOLER Noctua NH-D14 RAM Corsair XMS3 8GB 1600mhz PSU Corsair AX750 Display Asus PB287Q 4K (my review on it http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/380533-journey-into-4k-goodness-asus-pb287q-review/) & Asus VH236H 1080P

Keyboard Logitech G710+ MX Brown Mouse Logitech G502 (my review on it http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/299464-logitech-g502/ )

Proud owner of a BlackBerry Q10.

Please no. 

BBOS 10 is pretty good with its ability to install Android apps. Don't need the unoptimized mess known as Android on that kind of hardware. The Passport with its specs actually feels like a flagship phone in how smooth it runs. Don't need BBs hardware being crapped on by the same old Android nonsense. 

That would be pretty interesting. If it ran stock Android and had the same appearance of their more recent phones I'd at least take a look at them. There have been too many large phones for my taste lately.

Please no. 

BBOS 10 is pretty good with its ability to install Android apps. Don't need the unoptimized mess known as Android on that kind of hardware. The Passport with its specs actually feels like a flagship phone in how smooth it runs. Don't need BBs hardware being crapped on by the same old Android nonsense.

At his rate in the direction that they are going they might not last that long, so this might be one 1 or 2 phones just to get them back on their feet. Better to do that and not be owned by Apple or some other company or even worse, go in history.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

People already side-load Android apps onto blackberry 10 devices, and blackberry messenger works seamlessly on Android phones. I don't think this is a stretch at all, considering Android can be skinned a million different ways.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

That would be pretty interesting. If it ran stock Android and had the same appearance of their more recent phones I'd at least take a look at them. There have been too many large phones for my taste lately.

Perhaps if it had a 5.2" screen, I would rather it look like the Z10/Z30/Leap.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

Take Android, keep the core ability to install apps based on APK, and access to the play store if possible. Then replace the removed crap with the better Blackberry software, then proceed to keep the new mobile OS up to date and secure with Blackberry's own patches and updates-while still keeping the Android core intact. That would solve a lot of problems I think.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

please yes 

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

I hope so, I miss using a blackberry keyboard.... 

Blood-Box (Current) - 4790K @ 4.4GHz 1.175v | MSI Z97M GamingMSI R9 290 TF | 16GB ADATA XPG v1.0 CL9 | patiently waiting on the CoolerMaster MasterCase Pro 3 | Corsair RM650 | Noctua NH-U12S | OCZ Vertex 460 240GB SSD | Seagate 2TB HDD

Feishi (Gift to my bro) - 4770K @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte Z87 UD5H | Gigabyte GTX 760 WFx3 2.0 | 16GB Patriot Viper 3 CL9 | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 | Corsair AX750 | Noctua NH-C14 | Seagate 2TB HDD

I could care less if it's bulky, give use a 5" screen and a physical slide out keyboard!  I miss the OLD blackberry, but BBOS 10 was pretty good...

I'm Batman!

Steam: Rukiri89 | uPlay: Rukiri89 | Origin: XxRukiriXx | Xbox LIVE: XxRUKIRIxX89 | PSN: Ericks1989 | Nintendo Network ID: Rukiri

Project Xenos: Motherboard: MSI Z170a M9 ACK | CPU: i7 6700k | Ram: G.Skil TridentZ 16GB 3000mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 850w G2 | Case: Caselabs SMA8 | Cooling: Custom Loop | Still in progress 

A phone with android and good physical keyboard? Yes please.

If its too expensive you could always ask Nokia for a better E63....still with BT keyboard support.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

I could care less if it's bulky, give use a 5" screen and a physical slide out keyboard!  I miss the OLD blackberry, but BBOS 10 was pretty good...

i remember it having an awful web browsers but great hardware keyboard(bb bold 9000)

Everything you need to know about AMD cpus in one simple post.  Christian Member 

Wii u, ps3(2 usb fat),ps4

Iphone 6 64gb and surface RT

Hp DL380 G5 with one E5345 and bunch of hot swappable hdds in raid 5 from when i got it. intend to run xen server on it

Apple Power Macintosh G5 2.0 DP (PCI-X) with notebook hdd i had lying around 4GB of ram

TOSHIBA Satellite P850 with Core i7-3610QM,8gb of ram,default 750hdd has dual screens via a external display as main and laptop display as second running windows 10

MacBookPro11,3:I7-4870HQ, 512gb ssd,16gb of memory

#BlackberryMasterRace

JK, but I have a tiny feeling this isn't going to do well.

Blue Jay

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k (OC'd 4.4GHz) Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo Mobo: MSI Z170A Gaming Pro Carbon GPU: EVGA GTX 950 SSC RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (1x8GB) SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB Case: NZXT S340 Black/Blue PSU: Corsair CX430M

Other Stuff

Monitor: Acer H236HL BID Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Keyboard: I don't even know Mouse Pad: SteelSeries QcK Headset: Turtle Beach X12

GitHub

Damn, I hope at least someone else makes a flagship grade smartphone with a qwerty KB, I miss the physical keys.

- snip-

Damn, I hope at least someone else makes a flagship grade smartphone with a qwerty KB, I miss the physical keys.

Only if they make an azerty one too.  #azertyMasterRace

I've got the Z30 and damn am I impressed with this thing ! ! 

I for one hope they stick with BB10, just sort out some of its issues 

Redstone:
i7-4770 / Z97 / GTX 980 / Corsair 16GB  / H90 / 400C / Antec EDGE / Neutron GTX240 / Intel 240Gb / WD 2TB / BenQ XL24

Obsidian:

MSI GE60 2PE i7-4700HQ / 860M / 12GB / WE 1TB / m.Sata 256gb/Elagto USB HD Capture Card

Razer Deathadder Chroma / Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma / Kingston Cloud2's / Sennheiser 429 / Logitech Z333

BB Passport with W10 sounds more feasible and would be an instabuy for me. Don't know if the hardware will support Continuum though.

Won't happen with all the requirements of the Open Handset Alliance in regards to User Interface, bundled apps and all the nice thing that keeps Android from being more "fragmented" that n what it is. BB10.3.1 is fine the way it is and unlike the other fruit company phones, my 200$ Z3 got better and smoother EVERY UPDATES so far. 

People are still put off from BlackBerry from the horrid BBOS days but those days are loooong gone, and after 2 years BB10 is not the same as it was. And what's the point actually, BB10 phones can install Amazone app store and even Google Play (un-officially). If it walk like a duck, looks like a duck and quack like a duck then it is a duck. BB10 for me now is a "better" Android than the real Android due to the simple UI (no buttons at all, all done with  swipes), great security and the HUB. 

System Spec: H87 mobo from Zotac, I3 4130, 4GB ddr3 1600mhz Cas 11, WD green 2TB all in side of a Cooler Mater Elite 120

Pointless.

By selling their devices with their own OS they can differentiate themselves from the monotonous world of Android. By throwing Android on their phones they throw out their biggest unique selling point which makes their phones worthwhile and interesting. Instead of wasting their money and time making a silly move like this they should focus on making BB10 better and market it to high hell.

And bring us a bloody dark theme option for the hub already!

"Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted
Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials | Members of Staff