Is it worth it to upgrade from 780 to 980 ti?

johnnyTheMac
Hello,

My question is pretty much what the title asks. I have a Gigabyte Windforce 780 GHz Edition 3GB GPU. I am thinking about upgrading to a 980 ti. Would it be worth it or should I wait for the next gen of GPUs? I play at 1080p @ 60 Hz and will not be moving to a higher resolution or refresh rate anytime soon.

I would be selling my MacBook Pro in order to upgrade. I am in school (Video and Motion Graphics major), so another reason I was looking to upgrade is my PC will be more powerful than my MacBook Pro. I can just use an external drive or a flash drive to transfer project files from school to home. The degree program uses Macs, though.

Thank you in advance for any and all responses, suggestions and help.

CPU: Intel i7 3770K | Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UDH4 | RAM: 8 GB Blue Ares | GPU: Gigabyte Windforce 780 GHz Edition | Case: Corsair C70 Vengeance Arctic White | Storage: 250 GB SSD Corsair Neutron - 128 GB SSD Kingston - 1 TB WD Black | PSU: Corsair 850 watt | Display: 3 x Dell S2340M 23-Inch IPS 

Sure, i will pay for shipping to my address of the 780 once you pick up your beautiful new shiny 980Ti :)

AMD Phenom II B55 Quad / unlocked dual core 4.3ghz CB R15 = CB 422
XFX R9 390 8GB MY RIG: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/MVwQsY
Fastest 7770 on LTT . 3rd Fastest Phenom II Quad on LTT

PCSX2 on AMD CPU? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/412377-pcsx2-emulator-4096x2160-amd-phenom-ii/#entry5550588

-snip-

At 1080p 60Hz? No.

Especially if you are okay with the fps you're getting now.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

For 1080p 60hz, no, absolutely not. If you really aren't satisfied with the performance (although I don't see how that would be possible) it would be a much better idea to get a second 780 than ditch the one you have for a brand new 980ti. By the way, if you have a 780 your pc is already much more powerful than your macbook pro.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

No benefit when playing 1080p and 60hz.

Core i7 4820K  |  NH-D14 | Rampage IV Extreme | Asus R9 280X DC2T | 8GB G.Skill TridentX | 120GB Samsung 840 | NZXT H440  |  Be quiet! Dark Power Pro 10 650W

I don't think you need to upgrade at all if you aren't running 144Hz 1440p or 4k. 1080p is more than good enough for the 780, so I'd wait until you have bigger requirements from a higher res monitor or are struggling for fps. Pascal and fiji look like they're going to be some damn good architectures, so wait up for those is my opinion.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

no a 780 should still serve you fine at 1080p 60hz

The Y.E.T.I. is in progress?Whaaat? (modding aproach&build log)->http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/355618-project-yeti-first-build/

[READ THE COC BEFORE POSTING][Check twice cut once][NZXT rules:D][Dremel is Love Dremel is Life][COOKIES ARE GREAT][LOGIC]

Thank you everyone for the responses!

I guess I don't have to sell my MacBook Pro lol. I know that my PC is more powerful, but I guess the rMBP is good for portability and compatibility for my degree program. As far as gaming goes, I take it that the 780 will run 1080p @ 60 games for a good while then, huh?

CPU: Intel i7 3770K | Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UDH4 | RAM: 8 GB Blue Ares | GPU: Gigabyte Windforce 780 GHz Edition | Case: Corsair C70 Vengeance Arctic White | Storage: 250 GB SSD Corsair Neutron - 128 GB SSD Kingston - 1 TB WD Black | PSU: Corsair 850 watt | Display: 3 x Dell S2340M 23-Inch IPS 

Thank you everyone for the responses!

I guess I don't have to sell my MacBook Pro lol. I know that my PC is more powerful, but I guess the rMBP is good for portability and compatibility for my degree program. As far as gaming goes, I take it that the 780 will run 1080p @ 60 games for a good while then, huh?

we can't see the future. if you're willing to turn down settings a bit it may last you anywhere from 4 to 8 years, depending on what new gpus come out and how fast games get harder to run. Think of it this way: if a console can run it, your pc can run it significantly better. the rule is always the same, buy what you need right now and upgrade when you need to.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Well i'll attatch to this topic but with a plot twist.

Since im also gaming in 1080p @60Hz is there a point in switching from my 770 to a higher tier card? I was also thinking about 980ti.

Also i would like to try and mod the living fuck out of Oblivion and play it for the first time. Advice.

nah a gtx 970 is enough

Well i'll attatch to this topic but with a plot twist.

Since im also gaming in 1080p @60Hz is there a point in switching from my 770 to a higher tier card? I was also thinking about 980ti.

Also i would like to try and mod the living fuck out of Oblivion and play it for the first time. Advice.

The Y.E.T.I. is in progress?Whaaat? (modding aproach&build log)->http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/355618-project-yeti-first-build/

[READ THE COC BEFORE POSTING][Check twice cut once][NZXT rules:D][Dremel is Love Dremel is Life][COOKIES ARE GREAT][LOGIC]

Hello,

My question is pretty much what the title asks. I have a Gigabyte Windforce 780 GHz Edition 3GB GPU. I am thinking about upgrading to a 980 ti. Would it be worth it or should I wait for the next gen of GPUs? I play at 1080p @ 60 Hz and will not be moving to a higher resolution or refresh rate anytime soon.

I would be selling my MacBook Pro in order to upgrade. I am in school (Video and Motion Graphics major), so another reason I was looking to upgrade is my PC will be more powerful than my MacBook Pro. I can just use an external drive or a flash drive to transfer project files from school to home. The degree program uses Macs, though.

Thank you in advance for any and all responses, suggestions and help.

The 980 Ti is a waste of money at that resolution and refresh rate. Doesn't the 780 perform on par with the 970? And my 970 plays everything ultra 60 fps at 1920x1080. I wouldn't upgrade for a while if I was you, unless you have like a 30" monitor where running MSAA would be pretty important at 1080p.

Interesting. I'm curious tho. How long will 970 stay valid performance wise. When the time comes, i want to upgrade and be 1,2 steps ahead of me. I have upgraded too late last time (770) and now i'm already serving weaker punches in games. It also doesn't mean i'm disappointed or something with my gpu. Solid framerate at 1080p. Im just looking for the right moment to jump forward. It's kinda hard these days.