Why are CPU's so small?

Guest Console Peasant

Why not make them bigger for full towers? Like I don't understand how the phsyicallity works but why is it such a small chip? A graphics card is much larger.. .why not cpu? Why not make RAM bigger? Wouldnt it help?

A GPU core is actually smaller you know.....

The BBQ: i7-4770 / 212x / Tri-X R9 290x 1075/1400 / MSI H87-G43 GAMING / EVGA G2 850W / Corsair Spec 03 / Samsung 840 EVO 250gb SSD / Toshiba 2TB HDD / 8gb Kingston DDR3 1600mhz

Peripherals: G710+ / G502 / Bose Companion 2 Series III / Audio Technica ATH-M40x / Sound Magic E50

Monitors: Dell U2414H 

The actual chip on the GPU is smaller than a CPU. When a transistor is 22 or 14 atoms across, it is going to be much smaller. 

And what is the point of a bigger CPU?

5800X3D - RTX 4070 - 2K @ 165Hz

The only reason a GPU is bigger is due to it's physical die size and that its essentially a motherboard with a massive cooler on it.

NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.

I think is just because CPU usually can make more data than the rest of the system can handle, so... If they had more computational power, you just wouldnt notice... also, the paths between chips inside the CPU needs to be as small as posible to process the information as fast as they can, so... yeah, the small factor just increase the performance.

I'm from Spain so English is not my main language but I'm trying to make my best not writing any typo.

For the people saying that the die on a GPU is smaller than a CPU die is wrong, I've delidded my i7 and it's about the same. One is rectangular and one is a square.

PEWDIEPIE DONT CROSS THAT BRIDGE

The actual chip on the GPU is smaller than a CPU. When a transistor is 22 or 14 atoms across, it is going to be much smaller.

And what is the point of a bigger CPU?

Bro they are not measured in atoms, there is a difference between a nano meter and a atom.

You can fit 5 silicon atoms in a nano meter.

I think it's all a matter of money. I don't know if this is true or not. So don't quote me on this. But we are essentially get souped up laptop/mobile chips. That's why it's small. I think it would be more expensive to manufacture chips independently of laptops from desktops. I might be totally wrong so yea... I know nothing.

Because todays size of CPU are infinately more practical then having to build a computer the size of a shopping mall. i mean, if you want to build a computer with a 1950s shopping mall sized CPU then great go for it. But i hope you're not planning to go to lan parties with that setup

Why not make them bigger for full towers? Like I don't understand how the phsyicallity works but why is it such a small chip? A graphics card is much larger.. .why not cpu? Why not make RAM bigger? Wouldnt it help?

A Graphics chip is as small (if not smaller) than a CPU.

It's just the cooler and all the memory on it that makes it bigger.

You're comparing a GPU vs. CPU.

You should be comparing a GPU with a CPU, RAM and a CPU cooler.

Those sizes are more similar.

(By the way, you have some bigger CPU's. I believe Xeons are bigger)

NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-980-Graphics-Card-Hea

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Dies are manufactured from silicon wafers that DO have constrianed size. Making dies larger is more expensive because more material is required to make a certain number of chips.

Increasing die size further reduces yield because there is more opportunity for something in the die to go wrong, requiring that it be binned lower. This further drives up price.

Finally, die size HAS increased - but it is far more economical and beneifical to shrink the transitors.

I think it's all a matter of money. I don't know if this is true or not. So don't quote me on this. But we are essentially get souped up laptop/mobile chips. That's why it's small. I think it would be more expensive to manufacture chips independently of laptops from desktops. I might be totally wrong so yea... I know nothing.

It's because the longer a electrical circuit is the longer it takes to send a signal across. Also the bigger a transistor is the more heat it produces while doing the exact same job.

You get more performance from having it be smaller.

It's because the longer a electrical circuit is the longer it takes to send a signal across. Also the bigger a transistor is the more heat it produces while doing the exact same job.

You get more performance from having it be smaller.

I said don't quote me god dammit xD

I don't think anyone who buys a Xeon E7 4850 is complaining of it's relatively small size.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

A CPU is rather useless without it's motherboard... 

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

why should they be big? if we can make them smaller then why not. it doesn't alter performance, well i guess the smaller the chip the faster since the data has got less ground to cover than if the chip was bigger. so it does alter performance (sorry i lied...  :ph34r:) - for the better.

Mainly material costs from my understanding at least in terms of die size, cause to make this it costs millions if not billions of dollars of equipment and R&D:

That's why wafers are also round if you were wondering.

265051_Produkcja-procesorow-i-polprzewod

It used to be big if you'd look up its history but then shrinking while improving it has more advantages from performance to cooling to physical size and so on.

| CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 | MoBo: MSI B450 Tomahawk Max | RAM: T-Force Delta RGB (2x8) 16GB 3200MHz (Black) | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1660 Ti OC | Case: NZXT H500 (Black) | HDD: WD Black 2TB + Seagate Barracuda 4TB | SSD: Crucial MX500 2TB | PSU: Seasonic GX-550 | Monitor: 3x Asus VC239H |

the smaller it is, the shorter distance the electrons have to travel - it becomes faster. thats why they have become smaller and smaller.

CPU: r7 2700x;  GPU: EVGA GTX 980 ti sli; RAM: 16GB DDR4; MoBo: ASUS CH VII HERO x470; PSU: Seasonic Prime 850 Titanium; Case: Be Quiet! Dark Base 900 PRO; SSD: Kingston 120 GB; HDD: 1x 500 GB 1x 2TB 1x 3TB;

My Anime List 300+ completed

1)Smaller chips need less material to produce = they're less expensive = good.

2)Smaller chips = smaller distance electricity has to travel = less heat = good.

Why would you want bigger chips?

CPU: Ryzen 3 3600 | GPU: Gigabite GTX 1660 super | Motherboard: MSI Mortar MAX | RAM: G Skill Trident Z 3200 (2x8GB) | Case: Cooler Master Q300L | Storage: Samsung 970 EVO 250G + Samsung 860 Evo 1TB | PSU: Corsair RM650x | Displays: LG 27'' G-Sync compatible 144hz 1080p | Cooling: NH U12S black | Keyboard: Logitech G512 carbon | Mouse: Logitech g900 

They often are.

2011-v3 is quite a bit larger than Haswell.

Those goofy 38 core processors are also a little bit bigger than that socket.

Anyway the focus for consumer CPU's isn't adding more cores or even offering performance improvements.  It's offering nearly identical performance (although still better) while using much less power to do it.

It's also about offering a decent iGPU capable of doing things most non-gamers use computers for.

Anyway, the cores keep getting smaller and the iGPU keeps getting bigger because Intel is not going to change their i3/i5/i7 lineup until they have to.

4K // R5 3600 // RTX2080Ti