Are PC gamers subsidising Mac OS & Linux game development?

Master Disaster

In my mind we must be.

The market share for Mac OS & Linux is around 5% combined (taking the best estimates into consideration) which is miniscule, considering how much game studios spend on developing games these days I find it hard to believe they're making the extra expense of 2 development cycles running SBS back on such a small market.

I'm all for diversity and I really hope Linux gaming takes off and gets anywhere close to its Windows counterpart however I'm not sure how I feel about paying more at the till so a version of the game I'm never going to play can exist.

Games had a fairly hefty price hike right around the time of the current gen console launch, I find myself wondering if (at least part of) the reason might have been because of the industries current transition to 2 new gaming platforms and the risk:reward plus expense:profit ratios.

What d'yall reckon?

I'm asking everyone to be please be respectful and only post if you've got an opinion on the topic, LvWvM has been done to death and always ends badly. Let's not go there.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

linux sure! mac no!

How come? Both use the same API.

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Hopefully SteamOS speeds it up but really Linux needs to be updated faster with new drivers before it goes anywhere.

That's the thing, driver and hardware support achieving parity still won't make the market rapidly grow overnight.

SteamOS will certainly help though.

Drivers relatively come out pretty quickly on Linux. I think developers just need to develop for the Unix environment - that way it caters to both Mac and Linux Kernels.

Right now, considering the marketshare of the two is so low overall, and a lot lower for gamers, there really isn't any point for teams to spend money on something like that. What needs to come first, I think, is larger companies recognizing Linux and giving it the drive it needs for consumers and teams to latch on. I doubt this is going to happen within this decade though.

Graphics drivers are oooooooold and missing features on Linux. I personally think a large company needs to invest and work with devs to make a one-and-only debian based OS. Ubuntu is close but underfunded.

blackshades on

That's the thing, driver and hardware support achieving parity still won't make the market rapidly grow overnight.

SteamOS will certainly help though.

I'd switch back to linux right away if they supported newer graphical drivers.

blackshades on

Obviously. Anything a company does that is not profitable is paid for by something that is. Or if you're an ISP you're paid to do it by the government, and then don't bother anyway.

While we're at a point in time where devs and publishers can barely get their games on the PC at all, it'd be stupidly optimistic to believe we'll be getting OS X support (let alone Linux) support any time soon. Maybe in a time where publishers and triple A games don't matter, but I honestly don't see that happening any time soon.

Normandy - Intel Core i5 3470, 8 GB Corsair Vengenace LP, EVGA GTX 960 SSC, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, WD Blue 1 TB, Seagate 320 GB (steam), Seagate 320 GB (experimental, second OS, etc), Windows 8.1 + Ubuntu 14.10

Garrus - HP Stream 11

the sad truth is that i installed linux yesterday, and both steam and wine refused to work, today wine magically worked, but steam continues to refuse operation.

I would kill to move my main rig back over to #!++ and game on that - but I game a lot and that's just not practical when like <5% of games are compatible with that strange OpenGL API (or quite whatever the API is)

I'd happily spend time sorting out the adobe suite, and any other programs to function - or using Linux friendly varients of said tools - but if I can't have near 100% game support, there's just no way I can move over on my gaming PC

Sleepy: |  R7 1700@ 3.7GHz (NHD-15) | MSI B350 Tomahawk Arctic | GIGABYTE Windforce GTX 1080 | 16GB of RAM | 8TBs of HDD | 128GB SSD| S340 Tempered Glass | XFX 550w Bronze 80+ PSU | 40" 4K panel, and 3 1080p bois

While we're at a point in time where devs and publishers can barely get their games on the PC at all, it'd be stupidly optimistic to believe we'll be getting OS X support (let alone Linux) support any time soon. Maybe in a time where publishers and triple A games don't matter, but I honestly don't see that happening any time soon.

How so? Getting games on the PC is easier than any other platform, since it's not controlled by anyone. Not to mention, getting on Steam has never been easier.

How come? Both use the same API.

two words.

Thermal Throttling.

How so? Getting games on the PC is easier than any other platform, since it's not controlled by anyone. Not to mention, getting on Steam has never been easier.

Corporate malarkey from MS and Sony about exclusivity. They already don't want to support PC gaming (even though MS basically OWNS PC gaming), and they DAMNED sure aren't going to sit back and allow the growth of Linux gaming.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

I'm more talking about stuff like the controversies surrounding Ubisoft. I feel that I may have been better off saying that they don't want to get their stuff on the PC, not so much that they can't

Normandy - Intel Core i5 3470, 8 GB Corsair Vengenace LP, EVGA GTX 960 SSC, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, WD Blue 1 TB, Seagate 320 GB (steam), Seagate 320 GB (experimental, second OS, etc), Windows 8.1 + Ubuntu 14.10

Garrus - HP Stream 11

The reason why game studios develop very few games for Mac and Linux is that they both have an extremely low share among gamers. The reason why Mac and Linux have an extremely low market share among gamers is that game studios develop very few games for Mac and Linux.

If all game studios started to invest more money into developing for Mac and Linux it would directly cause their market share to rise and Microsoft would hopefully loose it's monopoly for operating systems for gamers. I really hope that Vulkan will get more acceptance among game devs than DX12, because that would lower the additional costs of developing for other operating systems.

GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming CPU: i5-4570 RAM: 2x4gb Crucial Ballistix Sport 1600Mhz Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme3 PSU: EVGA GS 650 CPU cooler: Be quiet! Shadow Rock 2 Case: Define R5 Storage: Crucial MX100 512GB

The reason why game studios develop very few games for Mac and Linux is that they both have an extremely low share among gamers. The reason why Mac and Linux have an extremely low market share among gamers is that game studios develop very few games for Mac and Linux.

If all game studios started to invest more money into developing for Mac and Linux it would directly cause their market share to rise and Microsoft would hopefully loose it's monopoly for operating systems for gamers. I really hope that Vulkan will get more acceptance among game devs than DX12, because that would lower the additional costs of developing for other operating systems.

Interesting point. With the way MS have been going I really wouldn't he surprised to see DX libraries for Linux & Mac OS in the future. They've added Mac OS & Linux support to Visual Studio recently.

Its a good business choice to Open Source DX, once it gets full support in Linux & Mac OS PC gaming gets a huge boost, that drives more sales in both games and hardware which in turn gets MS more money and they lose nothing cause everyone who was already gaming on PC still will be anyway.

Graphics drivers are oooooooold and missing features on Linux. I personally think a large company needs to invest and work with devs to make a one-and-only debian based OS. Ubuntu is close but underfunded.

Latest Nvidia drivers for windows is 353. Latest currently for Linux is... 352. The Nvidia Linux drivers are pretty much the same as windows and are updated very quickly. Performance is pretty much the same as well. AMD Linux drivers are hit and miss. Performance in generally worse than windows and it depends on which card you have as well. 

With DX12 and Vulkan, this is all slated to change, however. We can expect to see proper, up-to-date drivers on Linux with equal to windows DX12 performance in the near future with Vulkan. 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

Everyone understands that SteamOS is Linux only, right? Gaming was never the forte of Linux, but if everyone agreed on OpenGL especially Microsoft, we wouldn't be needing DirectX, or AMD Mantle ... 

This is a competitive landscape, the best solution will hold the highest market share.

The only time when PC Gamers subsidize the development/porting of games to OSX or Linux is when the game fails to earn enough revenue to cover the cost. Yes this is after the fact, but so to is any invest-return scenario.

Generally if the developers/publishers see no possibility of a profit on a port with a given title, then no port will be made.

I don't think Linux or Mac gaming Candy Crush Saga ESports will ever take off. Windows is genetically the superior gaming platform.

well thankyou for suggesting opengl/sdl/opencl is inherently useless and incompetent...(windows is the one guilty for limiting opengl development in the firstplace due to direct3d optimization)

Everything you need to know about AMD cpus in one simple post.  Christian Member 

Wii u, ps3(2 usb fat),ps4

Iphone 6 64gb and surface RT

Hp DL380 G5 with one E5345 and bunch of hot swappable hdds in raid 5 from when i got it. intend to run xen server on it

Apple Power Macintosh G5 2.0 DP (PCI-X) with notebook hdd i had lying around 4GB of ram

TOSHIBA Satellite P850 with Core i7-3610QM,8gb of ram,default 750hdd has dual screens via a external display as main and laptop display as second running windows 10

MacBookPro11,3:I7-4870HQ, 512gb ssd,16gb of memory

While we're at a point in time where devs and publishers can barely get their games on the PC at all,

what? That's not the curren market situation at all. PC gaming is doing well.

Hard to say. Maybe we do subsidize to an extent. But the cost of porting a windows game to Linux is just a fraction of the overall cost of making the entire game from scratch. With the direction game engines like UE4, unity, source2, frostbite etc are heading porting to Linux should be less time consuming in future.

Games had a fairly hefty price hike right around the time of the current gen console launch, I find myself wondering if (at least part of) the reason might have been because of the industries current transition to 2 new gaming platforms and the risk:reward plus expense:profit ratios.

You're looking at too small a time frame. Let's not forget, many games cost $50–60 back in the 90's, and our money is worth a lot more today than it was twenty years ago.

And honestly, I can't remember the last time I paid $59.99 for any game. I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest games have actually never been cheaper than they are today.

Calling it subsidizing is a little too far in my opinion. Game studios that develop for Linux are likely anticipating SteamOS being a force in the future. Businesses too stuck in the now can die quickly. Look at Xerox, look at Blockbuster Video, look at Kodak. It's especially funny with Xerox and Kodak, since they actually invented the products that destroyed them, namely the GUI PC and the digital camera.