SENTRY: Console-sized gaming PC case project

19 hours ago, Sheepy7 said:

you talk too much bruh..

Lol well I needed to catch up on a year of not being here :P

17 hours ago, SaperPL said:

How can you misinterpret this??

Hey chill out, I wasn't criticising your diagram, I was just making sure.

It might be useful to add a dimension for the length of the oversize area, to show what the length cutoff is to use the oversize width. I.e whether e.g. a 270mm x 120mm card would fit or be simultaneously too long and wide.

The Length of the oversize area depends on how long the card itself is - the space at the end is required so you can fit the PEG plugs and bend the cables inside the case.

it has been 2+ weeks now since he got the package, still nothing?

4 hours ago, Sheepy7 said:

it has been 2+ weeks now since he got the package, still nothing?

You must be patient with god.

Maybe out on vessel? I heard done people on the forum taking about a cool expensive mini-itx case that Linus showed off in a video

The Dan-A4 video is what they're probably talking about which released on Vessel a few days ago. Since Linus was still experimenting with the Sentry on Saturday, Id expect a video on Vessel some time early next week if I had to guess,  since they would still need to write a script, shoot a video with the necessary B-roll footage, and then edit it. If we want a thorough review of the case, instead of a rushed one, it's going to take time to properly evaluate it. 

14 minutes ago, amd4200 said:

Toasty. But in all honesty, while this is siting idle it will be fine and will most likely have tolerable temps while gaming just fine. Excited to see the full test.

In such configuration during heavy, synthetic load, those temperatures are something we expected. "Torture" config, means very cold TITAN-X + some also very cold LGA2011v3 cpu :D (according to one of Linus last tweets):

31 minutes ago, ZombiPL said:

43 minutes ago, amd4200 said:

Toasty. But in all honesty, while this is siting idle it will be fine and will most likely have tolerable temps while gaming just fine. Excited to see the full test.

In such configuration during heavy, synthetic load, those temperatures are something we expected. "Torture" config, means very cold TITAN-X + some also very cold LGA2011v3 cpu :D (according to one of Linus last tweets):

Yeah under most loads this should be fine, I'd like to see if there is any room at all to squeeze some slim profile fans or small MM fans. Even still, with most hardware the GPU, CPU, and PSU fan will be more than enough.

There's no room under the gpu to squeeze in the fans, it's around 9mm depending on the gpu and slim fans start from 10mm for small fans up to 70mm and 12mm for bigger ones. Even if you subtract the thickness of the card which is around 42mm from 66mm of the case, we've had to put the gpu in the middle of the chassis to have enough room for the hard drives above the riser, and there would also be problems with mounting the gpu too close to the edges.

Looks like Linus put there parts that have like 400W TDP in total (140W i7 Extreme/Xeon E5 CPU + 250W Titan X GPU + SSD) and went with some kind of burn-in synthetic tests on that.

This is a case where you should probably go for something around 225W TDP in total (65W non-K i7/E3 + 150W RX480/GTX1070 GPU + SSD) to have it running at proper temps. Hopefully Linus will draw the line on what you should get for it to be safe and we'll use that as a recommendation.

5 hours ago, Sheepy7 said:

WHERE IS THE REVIEW....................

Somewhere in the LTT servers lol. or on someones desktop in parts waiting to be edited.

It is a little disappointing I think that you cannot mount any fans, not even like 80mm or the "slim" kind. I don't have GPU with blower style cooler either right now. Another thing I think has been left out in most HTPC cases is a window because I've  always wanted a case with one.

10 hours ago, Okjoek said:

It is a little disappointing I think that you cannot mount any fans, not even like 80mm or the "slim" kind. I don't have GPU with blower style cooler either right now. Another thing I think has been left out in most HTPC cases is a window because I've  always wanted a case with one.

If you want a case with a window, I'm not sure you know what an htpc is. It's supposed to blend seamlessly both in appearance and size with other home theater gadgets including Blu-ray players and receivers. Neither of which are dripping in gamer swag like windows, flashy case badges and leds.

However, if you must show off your system I believe saper or zombi mentioned a while ago, perhaps on Hard forum, that they would supply specs for you to make your own side panel with a window. Or you could have a local shop use a laser cutter to cut out a window, though you'll lose the perfect painted finish. 

Not really sure why you'd want a window in this case. If you think about it, the components are so tightly packed there's nothing to see. All you'll see is cpu fan, ssd, psu fan, and the back of your gpu. It's basically just fans and pcb. There's no good way to show anything off. That's what 40 liter, tower cases are for. 

59 minutes ago, ej24 said:

If you want a case with a window, I'm not sure you know what an htpc is. It's supposed to blend seamlessly both in appearance and size with other home theater gadgets including Blu-ray players and receivers. Neither of which are dripping in gamer swag like windows, flashy case badges and leds.

However, if you must show off your system I believe saper or zombi mentioned a while ago, perhaps on Hard forum, that they would supply specs for you to make your own side panel with a window. Or you could have a local shop use a laser cutter to cut out a window, though you'll lose the perfect painted finish. 

Not really sure why you'd want a window in this case. If you think about it, the components are so tightly packed there's nothing to see. All you'll see is cpu fan, ssd, psu fan, and the back of your gpu. It's basically just fans and pcb. There's no good way to show anything off. That's what 40 liter, tower cases are for. 

Yeah good points. I guess I just like the size and shape of the HTPC and wanted it to be shape of my desktop, but maybe a standard mini itx case would be a nice compromise for me between this large ATX case I use currently and the tiny HTPC form factor.

On 8/11/2016 at 2:37 AM, LinusTech said:

It's a high priority project for me.

Been waiting on some custom Cablemod cables for it so I can see what optimal cable management might look like (possibly a requirement for the Titan X I plan to install) in this case.

They arrived yesterday and I'm working on this review right now. There's often more to our scheduling than meets the eye.

Linus

Oh really? He got the case at around the start of August and has released a lot of videos like the recent "5000$ GPU" video that could have been released at any time because no1 actually cares. I'm not here to tell him how to manage his business but since this case's release date is bound to the review and since I'm literally looking at his videos every day to finally find this Sentry video so i can eventually buy it, it is certainly also my business. I would also be totally fine with buying the case now, i don't need any reviews.

•  

1 hour ago, Sheepy7 said:

Oh really? He got the case at around the start of August and has released a lot of videos like the recent "5000$ GPU" video that could have been released at any time because no1 actually cares. I'm not here to tell him how to manage his business but since this case's release date is bound to the review and since I'm literally looking at his videos every day to finally find this Sentry video so i can eventually buy it, it is certainly also my business. I would also be totally fine with buying the case now, i don't need any reviews.

•  

Dude shut the heck up! It takes time to make a video, not only that it take time to plan, tinker, script, film, b-roll, edit, render, upload, then it goes to vessel for a week, then to YouTube. So its going to be a little bit of time before you see it. Not only that, he might just be giving these guys some tips, and make a review on the final version of the case. Its up to @SaperPL and @ZombiPL to do what they want with their product. They want to make sure that someone they trust can tell them how to improve upon the case. So please stop being so Toxic on this thread. Thanks hun ;)

1 hour ago, Sheepy7 said:

•  

Calm down.

First of all Linus doesn't have to do anything, he runs his own business and plans to optimise his income. You should also know that a 15-minute video like the ones made by LTT is made out of few hours of footage that is cut down to the best footage you get to give you only the crucial info while maintaining the quality and entertaining aspect of those videos. It takes time to go through that and meanwhile, I can assume, guys at LTT are going over and over the scripts for this and other episodes in the making, double and triple check that etc. So even if testing is done, there's still whole lot of work to do.

Secondly I think You're misunderstanding our statements from before. We said that we'll be launching the sales after the LTT release their review but that doesn't mean the launch date is the video release date. The thing is, while we can of course launch blindly and go with small batches, we'd want to rather sum up whole volume of sales for people interested at once, initially, rather then ordering tiny batches sequentially. The reason for that is if we go with big contract for 500 units then we have better control over the quality because of the contract scale and if there's some returns to be made we go with them once rather than going over and over at each 100 or 50 units batch. So we want to have subscription numbers, views, likes etc to approximate and start talking about terms with metal subcontractor to optimise our business.

Finally we're a bit out in the field with sales handling since rules at payment processors changed quite a bit over the crowdfunding era, forcing such projects/startups as ours to go through crowdfunding, if we don't have the stocked product initially. There's also tons of stuff on the legal side of payment processing we have to check out to make sure everything's going to work fine.