SENTRY: Console-sized gaming PC case project

10 minutes ago, TheGhzGuy said:

I'm sure this question has been asked many, many times, but your case caught my eye and I just thought I should ask a quick question. I assume this will use an SFX or SFX-L power supply, or is it something totally different? 

Thanks for building this awesome looking case and I hope to buy this for college and for my dad. 

Hi mate. Ask, ask and once again ask. You'll never know when Your question will help us solve some unexpected problems.

You can use SFX or SFX-L power supply. Go to http://zaber.com.pl/sentry/ and in the middle of the page You will find a Sentry configuration tool, which will give You more answers :)

7 minutes ago, ZombiPL said:

Hi mate. Ask, ask and once again ask. You'll never know when Your question will help us solve some unexpected problems.

You can use SFX or SFX-L power supply. Go to http://zaber.com.pl/sentry/ and in the middle of the page You will find a Sentry configuration tool, which will give You more answers :)

That's really awesome! Thank you for that information. 

BOINC Setup:
i5 7200U @ Stock

Core2Duo T6600 @ Stock

i3 2330M @ Stock

i5 3210M @ Stock

Can't wait for the review on this case, although honestly I'm pretty much completely sold on it already. I'm building a MITX rig for the first time and I'm trying to stuff as much into as little as possible and this seems like a perfect case for that. Not to mention the shear portability of the thing the possibilities are endless ha. Any idea on the timeline for shipments on this thing?

We'll have to see the reviews and what is the community response to that because there may be some crucial details that still require our attention before launch.

We also want to know how many people are interested (including ones that will register after seeing reviews) in the case before we finalise the launch timeline.

Can you contact him and insist that it should get priority over other stuff he has in his schedule? Just explain that many ppl are waiting for this whereas his other "projects" certainly are not to be rushed because there is no reason.

It's a high priority project for me.

Been waiting on some custom Cablemod cables for it so I can see what optimal cable management might look like (possibly a requirement for the Titan X I plan to install) in this case.

They arrived yesterday and I'm working on this review right now. There's often more to our scheduling than meets the eye.

Linus

1 hour ago, LinusTech said:

Been waiting on some custom Cablemod cables for it so I can see what optimal cable management might look like (possibly a requirement for the Titan X I plan to install) in this case.

They arrived yesterday and I'm working on this review right now. There's often more to our scheduling than meets the eye.

Linus

SoonTM

My profile... HERE

Join the Disqussions... https://disqus.com/home/channel/techinquisition/

4 hours ago, LinusTech said:

Linus

Awesome, can't wait to see this case pushed to the limit. I would assume you're also planning on pairing this with a i7 or higher? I was planning on at least a 6600k with a mild overclock but would really like to put a 6700k in there just to kill it dead.

Sebastian can you also figure out whether simple LED Customization is feasible? 

10 minutes ago, Sheepy7 said:

Sebastian can you also figure out whether simple LED Customization is feasible? 

That's Linus's surname, If you thought otherwise then you're mistaken :)

As for the LED customisation - you can easily swap out the power button with any other 16mm momentary switch (those come in many colours of LED and shapes) but you can't simply change the LED since it's embedded in the body of the switch.

That's Linus's surname, If you thought otherwise then you're mistaken 

Ahahaha wtf....

No, I meant LED Customization inside the whole case (LED Stripes, etc.). Did you two attempt it on your own?

Not really, Linus will have to check it out. I don't really think that's a kind of case you'd want to style out with led strips since the interior is quite tight.

4 minutes ago, Sheepy7 said:

No, I meant LED Customization inside the whole case (LED Stripes, etc.). Did you two attempt it on your own?

Hmmm.... no. We didn't. There are many things people are asking us, that we didn't think of while designing or benchmarking the case.

To be honest, when we asked Linus to draw the line which components will be the limit for such small case like SENTRY, we didn't think his first thought will be:

19 hours ago, LinusTech said:

Titan X

We'll see how it goes. Remember: Linus is Linus. Expect unexpected.

24 minutes ago, ZombiPL said:

Hmmm.... no. We didn't. There are many things people are asking us, that we didn't think of while designing or benchmarking the case.

To be honest, when we asked Linus to draw the line which components will be the limit for such small case like SENTRY, we didn't think his first thought will be:

Curious about how a Polish company gets their experimental case tested by the all-mighty Linus, hoping for the best for you guys, give us some recognition xD

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

9 hours ago, Morgan MLGman said:

Curious about how a Polish company gets their experimental case tested by the all-mighty Linus

It's not exactly our company's but a community project (mostly people from [LTT] and [H]ard forum) which we made in our free time. Linus is a member of this community, and at the beginning he declared he want to help us with it. Now he has the opportunity, and we're happy he and also many other people are still interested in our small project:) And that's all. 

5 hours ago, ZombiPL said:

Allows for the opportunity to derive a v2 case with modifications to suite the "bling my rig" crowd ;)

My profile... HERE

Join the Disqussions... https://disqus.com/home/channel/techinquisition/

You guys think a mini card such as: "6144MB Inno3D GeForce GTX 1060 Compact" as opposed to a reference card would help improve thermals within Sentry?

Hi guys - just wanted to say that I've just stumbled across this and I'm mightily impressed. If I ever get around to doing a media/gaming box for the telly, this is at the top of my list for cases.

Wishing you guys a ton of success with it; given the work you've put in, you deserve it.

(Also hoping someone turns it into a Portal turret and posts that up on LTT).

17 minutes ago, Sheepy7 said:

You guys think a mini card such as: "6144MB Inno3D GeForce GTX 1060 Compact" as opposed to a reference card would help improve thermals within Sentry?

There's a chance that if you use such short itx card and mount a fan in front of it (where the rest of the full length card would normally be) you can some airflow clearing out the hot air by positive pressure.

This looks just great!  Such a shame there's no space for ODD and 3.5" hdd with a full sized gfx card, but I guess that's the nature of space savings!

Came across the Sentry via this useful post with a list of console form factor cases btw, never would have found it otherwise: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/forums/topic/55093-list-of-cases-for-steam-machinebox#cx1882264

Have seen the thread on Hardforums too,  

...and then also saw the thread on Eurogamer - what a difference in the attitude! On LTT and [H] it's positivity and outright glee at this unique project that pushes the boundaries, whereas on Eurogamer it was immediately met with insults, ignorance (people seemed to think there are dozens of cases this size and smaller?!) and facile criticism! Embarrassing.

If I can justify not having an ODD and copying my hdd onto a 2.5" to fit in with my ssd, I'd take this case in a heartbeat.  It's like the Node 202 but better.  I love the almost industrial design, it doesn't look like I'm going to scratch it by accident, but still looks sleek.  Otherwise it will be the ML08.  I was looking at the ML08/FTZ01/Node202, but I think the Sentry has replaced the Node.

My question would be, the dimensions show 112mm plus 18mm clearance for gfx card width.  My MSI gtx970 is 269x141x35 - so will this not fit, or have I misinterpreted the available dimensions?

Looking forward to the Linus review :) 

7 hours ago, PPX14 said:

My question would be, the dimensions show 112mm plus 18mm clearance for gfx card width.  My MSI gtx970 is 269x141x35 - so will this not fit, or have I misinterpreted the available dimensions?

How can you misinterpret this??

GPU.svg

The sole reason for this image is that you can measure your card and know if it'll fit or not.

The problem is that manufacturers are not taking card measurements seriously and you never know which dimensions they are displaying in the specs. We can do nothing about it so we're providing this image. If you already have a gpu then measure it for yourself. Otherwise don't buy an oversized card if you don't know the real dimensions.

That is a very useful graphic, looks like there is plenty of room for cards in there.