AMD Carrizo Launched (~15% IPC, GCN 1.2, HSA)

Opcode

Source

AMD has officially launched their latest Carrizo APUs at Computex 2015 and detailed additional bits and pieces about their next generation mobility processors. The AMD Carrizo mobility processors come in two packages, the power optimized 15W variants and the more performance oriented 35W variants which will be shipping in several notebooks later this month.

3GD0lrV.jpg

yOSS1u9.jpg

When specifically talking about Excavator cores, we get improved and larger cache sizes that allow prefetch improvements and lower latency. Better branch prediction leads to 50% increase in branch target buffer size (512 to 768 Entry)) and accelerated flush in the FPU. New instruction support include AVX2, MOVBE, SMEP and BMI1/2 along with more power gating options to cut down power when the chip remains dormant or doesn’t gets utilized to full extent. The most significant gains in frequency come to 15W models while the 35W models actually able to push IPC with around 0-5% clock speed bumps. The 15W variants need a 25-45% frequency push to increase IPC by 10%.

GTnroQ6.jpg

EZSL7Hw.jpg

AMD is also giving a boost update to the GCN architecture with their 3rd generation GCN cores integrated inside Carrizo. These are the same architectural enhancements as featured on Tonga and the soon to be released Fiji graphics card. The iGPU has 512 KB L2 cache, 819 GFlops of compute performance and HSA acceleration via ATC. Some features such as DirectX 12 (Level 12), improved tessellation performance, loss less delta color compression, updated ISA instruction set, high quality scaler unit, cache coherent fabric interface are available on the new GCN unit.

EtpmCYj.jpg

nyRLFn0.jpg

VVEtCKJ.jpg

OQ2YEAa.jpg

S7azLhQ.jpg

AMD has done quite a remarkable job with Carrizo fitting 70-80% performance of a 95w APU into a 15w envelope. One thing worth noting is we now know the iGPU frequency on Carrizo thanks to the above performance rating. 819 GFLOPS would mean the iGPU comes clocked at 800 MHz (512 x 2 x 0.800).

The author made a number of weird mistakes though, linking IPC to clock rates. Be careful taking the article at face value based on the thread title.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

AMD:"We're launching NEW APUs!!!!!"

"Oh, and we'll launch at some point during this month a GPU that is supposed to wreck the Titan X, but meh...APUs!!!!"

MARS_PROJECT V2 --- RYZEN RIG

Spoiler

CPU: R5 1600 @3.7GHz 1.27V | Cooler: Corsair H80i Stock Fans@900RPM | Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3 | RAM: 8GB DDR4 2933MHz(Vengeance LPX) | GPU: MSI Radeon R9 380 Gaming 4G | Sound Card: Creative SB Z | HDD: 500GB WD Green + 1TB WD Blue | SSD: Samsung 860EVO 250GB  + AMD R3 120GB | PSU: Super Flower Leadex Gold 750W 80+Gold(fully modular) | Case: NZXT  H440 2015   | Display: Dell P2314H | Keyboard: Redragon Yama | Mouse: Logitech G Pro | Headphones: Sennheiser HD-569

APUs are good and all but... y no performance ceepeeuuzzzzzzzzzzz? ;c

AMD please less awesome GPU more boring APU!

MAKE IT HAPPEN LISA SU!

Nvidia is to Dr Dre Beets as AMD is to KFC.

One makes you broke, the other you can get more of and have a midnight snack from the fridge when hungry again. Once you go Nvidia, you go broked, turn into an Elitist, or get the incorrect amount of VRAM.

- WCCFTECH

I was only 9 years old. I loved Fifflaren so much, I had all the NiP merchandise and matches pirated. I prayed to Fifflaren every night before bed. Thanking him for the life I have been given. Fifflaren is love I say. Fifflaren is life. My dad hears and calls me a fuckhead. I knew he was just jelly of my passion for Fifflaren. I called him a Sw@yer. He hits me and sends me to go to sleep. I'm crying now, and my face hurts. I lay in bed and it's really cold. A warmth is moving towards me. I feel someone touching me. I feel someone touching me. It's Fifflaren. I am so happy. He whispers in my ear; "this is my pyjama". He grabs me with his powerful Swedish hands and puts me on my hands and knees. I'm ready. I spread my ass cheeks for Fifflaren. He penetrates my butt-hole. It hurts so much but I do it for Fifflaren. I can feel my butt tearing as my eyes start to water. I push against his force. I want to please Fifflaren. He roars a viking roar as he fills my butt with his love. My dad walks in. Fifflaren looks straight into his eyes and says; "He is a ninja now". Fifflaren is love, Fifflaren is life 

The author made a number of weird mistakes though, linking IPC to clock rates. Be careful taking the article at face value based on the thread title.

AMD presented them numbers although they gave a range instead of a set value like they did at FAH of 5%.

AMD-Carrizo-APU_Excavator-Core.jpg

I'm guessing the IPC uplift will vary by task and instructions used. Although I agree that the source shouldn't be using clock frequencies to dictate IPC.

High performance CPUs are in the works slated for next year. AMD is pushing Carrizo because of their lack of a footprint in the mobile market.

~15% IPC is pretty good and IF  Zen does have a 40% IPC improvent over this then 2016 will be interesting

Yeah, but are they going to come in decent notebooks?

If the only product you can get them with are some thrash HP consumer laptops, I don't care how good the chips are by themselves.

Flops = (Hz) * (SPs) * (ops per cycle)

(((0.819*10^12)/512)/2) = 799804687.5 Hz, or 799.8 MHz. Oddball number for AMD... Rounded to 800 MHz would result in 819.2 GFlops.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Am I the only one excited to see more AMD products being announced and launched no matter what product they are?

No, I am excited to!

For some reason, some people (Not all) on this forum believe that APUS are bad. That is why Intel cpus are superior. But they dont get that an Intel cpu is also an apu...

Lets all ripperoni in pepperoni

AMD presented them numbers although they gave a range instead of a set value like they did at FAH of 5%.

-snip-

I'm guessing the IPC uplift will vary by task and instructions used. Although I agree that the source shouldn't be using clock frequencies to dictate IPC.

High performance CPUs are in the works slated for next year. AMD is pushing Carrizo because of their lack of a footprint in the mobile market.

I can understand giving ranges to be specific about tasks. Hassan seems to have lost something in translation though. I'll message him about it.

I'm sure Intel isn't overstating Skylake being as big as Conroe to Nehalem, but the focus is probably on virtualization and SIMD rather than legacy SISD instructions most consumer software is built on. That said, the consumer benchmarks we've seen so far show a 4-8% performance gain over the 4790K.

I just really hope DX 12 doesn't make the BD/Vishera chips so powerful they stop bottlenecking altogether. In that instance Zen just won't sell to gaming enthusiasts who can get FX 8/9 for cheaper. And in the server space with Intel having now bought out Altera and willing to go fully custom in servers, 2016 is going to be one long uphill battle for AMD.

YAY another apu from amd 

Skylake 

YAY another apu from Intel

Please stop bitching about apus, because in that sense, the 4690k or the 4790k are also apus and should also be bitched about

AMD:"We're launching NEW APUs!!!!!"

"Oh, and we'll launch at some point during this month a GPU that is supposed to wreck the Titan X, but meh...APUs!!!!"

AMD please less awesome GPU more boring APU!

MAKE IT HAPPEN LISA SU!

Lets all ripperoni in pepperoni

No, I am excited to!

For some reason, some people (Not all) on this forum believe that APUS are bad. That is why Intel cpus are superior. But they dont get that an Intel cpu is also an apu...

To be fair, AMD's APUs are a bit more refined and have tighter integration than Intel's MPUs, though Intel and AMD have different design philosophies and see the future differently. Intel has had a great amount of success with OpenMP/OpenACC in the HPC world and doesn't see HSA taking off. I for one don't like programming in HSA either, but we'll see which way chips fall.

No, I am excited to!

That reason being that discrete graphics are always a better value proposition. No matter how you look at it, it's always more cost efficient to pair something like an Athlon or a Pentium cheap cpu with a cheap discrete card like a 750 or a 260x and this is by no small margin better, it's way better and more powerful for similar or even lower price level.

As for laptops and such yeah: it's still pretty binary on that area: you either don't game at all or you have to go into the 1000 to 1500 range to get any sort of decent gaming experience (similar performance level to the aforementioned 750) and it also becomes way less practical when it comes to battery life. AMD doesn't needs to improve their efficiency by only 15% or whatever this improves, they'd need to improve their efficiency by like 150% before it becomes feasible to have discrete graphics and strong CPU on a chip low powered enough to decently run on a laptop. Only they just don't have the tech to produce that, intel does but simply do not care.

-------

Current Rig

-------

No, I am excited to!

They have their uses but we can all agree AMD is the king of teasing.....

Nvidia is to Dr Dre Beets as AMD is to KFC.

One makes you broke, the other you can get more of and have a midnight snack from the fridge when hungry again. Once you go Nvidia, you go broked, turn into an Elitist, or get the incorrect amount of VRAM.

- WCCFTECH

I was only 9 years old. I loved Fifflaren so much, I had all the NiP merchandise and matches pirated. I prayed to Fifflaren every night before bed. Thanking him for the life I have been given. Fifflaren is love I say. Fifflaren is life. My dad hears and calls me a fuckhead. I knew he was just jelly of my passion for Fifflaren. I called him a Sw@yer. He hits me and sends me to go to sleep. I'm crying now, and my face hurts. I lay in bed and it's really cold. A warmth is moving towards me. I feel someone touching me. I feel someone touching me. It's Fifflaren. I am so happy. He whispers in my ear; "this is my pyjama". He grabs me with his powerful Swedish hands and puts me on my hands and knees. I'm ready. I spread my ass cheeks for Fifflaren. He penetrates my butt-hole. It hurts so much but I do it for Fifflaren. I can feel my butt tearing as my eyes start to water. I push against his force. I want to please Fifflaren. He roars a viking roar as he fills my butt with his love. My dad walks in. Fifflaren looks straight into his eyes and says; "He is a ninja now". Fifflaren is love, Fifflaren is life 

Please stop bitching about apus, because in that sense, the 4690k or the 4790k are also apus and should also be bitched about

I'm not really bitching, but really, nobody cares about past APUs because they were marketed based just on their integrated GPU performance.

On the CPU side they are bad.

Also...4690K and 4790K are "APUs" just because they have an iGPU, but they are not marketed based on that. You just can't make that kind of comparison.

Spoiler

CPU: R5 1600 @3.7GHz 1.27V | Cooler: Corsair H80i Stock Fans@900RPM | Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3 | RAM: 8GB DDR4 2933MHz(Vengeance LPX) | GPU: MSI Radeon R9 380 Gaming 4G | Sound Card: Creative SB Z | HDD: 500GB WD Green + 1TB WD Blue | SSD: Samsung 860EVO 250GB  + AMD R3 120GB | PSU: Super Flower Leadex Gold 750W 80+Gold(fully modular) | Case: NZXT  H440 2015   | Display: Dell P2314H | Keyboard: Redragon Yama | Mouse: Logitech G Pro | Headphones: Sennheiser HD-569

I'm not really bitching, but really, nobody cares about past APUs because they were marketed based just on their integrated GPU performance.

On the CPU side they are bad.

That's not the case here as Carrizo should out perform (or at least match) the mobile Core i3 in both ST and MT.

It's not the concept of an APU people bitch about.

People bitch about AMD's APUs because they sell based on their better-than-iGPU-but-far-from-dGPU graphics and not high performance x86 cores, which is what people really want to see from them.

wait a second... 819 GFlops on a iGPU. Man we've come far. 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

That's not the case here as Carrizo should out perform (or at least match) the mobile Core i3 in both ST and MT.

That's exactly why I said past APUs.

Carrizo seems nice, and it should be a good choice for a multimedia/casual gaming laptop.

Spoiler

This should do fairly well in laptops. Decent graphics with low power.

Going with an APU means more space for a larger battery.

I was never bitching, just disappointed that they aren't making any performance CPUs. They've just been focusing on APUs lately. I don't give a fuck what Intel does, I want a CPU (or high performance APU) I can slap in my PC along with crossfire 280x's and not have a bottleneck. But Intel is the only one providing that atm.