GTX 980ti $1000+ In AU - "Australia tax" how much does it cost in your region?

TrigrH

It's all Nvidia's fault.

Totally.

Nvidia is the devil for forcing people to buy high end cards they don't even need but have to give up the ability to eat good food or have vacation money for. Totally.

Prices listed on eu.evga.com

http://eu.evga.com/products/prodlist.asp?family=GeForce%20900%20Series%20Family

Seems to be the lowest I could find. These prices include sales tax, add 8€ shipping to most destinations in Europe.

€739 for a reference card which would be $811 (US) or £532. Without 20% sales tax (they ship from Austria I believe) that would be €616 or $676 (US), so it seems pricing here is pretty fair.

I've listed my 780ti on a few second hand websites and seeing what I can sell it for. 980ti sounds like a beast and worth the upgrade.

Desktop:     Core i7-9700K @ 5.1GHz all-core = ASRock Z390 Taichi Ultimate = 16GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @ 3600MHz = Asus ROG Strix 3060ti (non LHR) = Samsung 970 EVO 500GB M.2 SSD = ASUS PG279Q

Notebook:  Clevo P651RG-G = Core i7 6820HK = 16GB HyperX Impact DDR4 2133MHz = GTX 980M = 1080p IPS G-Sync = Samsung SM951 256GB M.2 SSD + Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD

The Canadian price seems somewhat reasonable for the 980Ti compared to the total bullshit prices of the Titan X. Just going by the NCIX preorder numbers...

US price is $649... convert to CAD.... $811... NCIX has some up for $829.99.  That's pretty bang on considering there must have been at least some tariffs coming into the country.

This is an improvement over the TItan X by far, where I could order direct from the US and save almost $200 after the import taxes compared to buying it from a shop a kilometer from my house.

ExMachina (2016-Present) i7-6700k/GTX970/32GB RAM/250GB SSD

Picard II (2015-Present) Surface Pro 4 i5-6300U/8GB RAM/256GB SSD

LlamaBox (2014-Present) i7-4790k/GTX 980Ti/16GB RAM/500GB SSD/Asus ROG Swift

Kronos (2009-2014) i7-920/GTX680/12GB RAM/120GB SSD

No official word on 980 Ti pricing in South Africa, but the a Titan X costs ~$1500 (R18'000) here. So we can probably expect the 980 Ti to also be really expensive.

1 USD equals 12.27 ZAR

Source: http://www.evetech.co.za/PC-Hardware/msi-geforce-gtx-titan-x-1088.aspx

We do have confirmation on pricing in SA, Check out Rebeltech, its R10999 for the MSI Reference one and R11999 for the Gigabyte one, so for all you non South Africans its roughly $900 for the 1st one and $982 for the second. Shocking but hey, thats what you get for living here.

http://www.rebeltech.co.za/315-geforce-gtx-980-ti

UK has 20% VAT, Australia has 10% GST.

US cost of living is significantly lower, including median house price compared to Australia.

Our wages are higher before tax, but we also pay significantly more tax as a percentage... equals much lower disposable income.. so no it doesn't work out.

^ This.

Living in the UK and having a 20% tax on everything, a 'poor economy' (not really just an excuse) so most companies can pay really poor wages and being taxed to hell on our wages too.

Cost of living and price of houses/renting is much more expensive here than in the US.

Also I've noticed that sometimes (not always) some companies way of converting US$ to GBP£ is to just swap the symbol, which puts the price at 1.6x what it should be.

As here: http://puu.sh/i9ImN.pngThe 980ti should be around £550, but more likely it will be around £800-900 for no real reason.

As previously mentioned we understand if it's a bit more because of the import taxes and such, but it seems a lot of things take the piss with it and hike the prices up (more than required) just because they can.

Like 1.8k here, damn 980s are over a grand!

- snip-

Every time some new piece of technology comes out in Australia, there is always one person who complains about the lack of "equality" pricing against the Australians.

Australians get paid more than Americans. Australians pay more for technology than Americans because we import off them.

Australians have a much higher standard of living compared to Americans. (Hello? Free health care?) for example.

I dare any Australian that complains about the lack of equality to go on a US Tech shopping site, buy a 980Ti, ship it to a US mail forwarding service, then ship it to Australia and see how much better off you are.

For example: Buy a 980Ti off NCIXUS.com ($649) then ground shipping to ShipIto.com ($9.95) then pay the mail forwarding centre ($1) then pay for the USPS postage over to Australia (~$75)

649+9.95+1+75 = $734.95

Convert that to AUD (@$1.29) = $948.78

Hey! Look at that. You saved $100, wasted a week (or more) waiting for the damn thing to arrive and imagine if you need to send your card off for warranty. 

TL;DR: Why the heck is this in the News sub forum?!

It is the fault of consumers who will pay the ridiculous prices that allow for Nvidia to continue to charge what they charge.

Lol.

For one, what I said was a joke.

Two, you can put the blame elsewhere.

I dare any Australian that complains about the lack of equality to go on a US Tech shopping site, buy a 980Ti, ship it to a US mail forwarding service, then ship it to Australia and see how much better off you are.

Did it last year on a new EVGA 780 6GB with Amazon (who ship direct to Oz, no forwarding req.), saved a couple hundred versus local pricing.

Looks to be the same difference again with the 980ti,

East coast Oz pricing is also a it cheaper, so I either need to pay for shipping anyway, or cop the additional markup of local WA retailers.

Lack of stock availability is another big reason I buy from overseas.

It is the standard thing about Aussies are so stupid. The Asus card the OP listed: Asus 12gb Titan X is only $1049.00 in the US.

I always find it hard to understand as the majority of this stuff is made in ASIA? a LOT closer to Australia yet, we pay MORE.

The net here is equally as bad, Signtel OWNS Optus but people in Singapore get BETTER speeds for MUCH less than Aussies.

The net here is equally as bad, Signtel OWNS Optus but people in Singapore get BETTER speeds for MUCH less than Aussies.

Singapore is super small (716.1km2). The country is smaller than the Melbourne metropolitan area (7694km2) and has about a million more people (Melbourne [2011]: 4.1m. Singapore [2013]: 5.399m). It's easier to maintain a high quality service in a smaller area.

780€ without VAT - Slovakia

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5-4690K | Mobo: MSI Z97 Gaming 3 | RAM: Kingston Savage 4x4GB | GPU: Asus Strix GTX970 | PSU: Seasonic M12II-620 Evo | Storage: MX100 128GB + WD Blue 1TB | Cooling: CM Hyper 212 evo | Case: NZXT H440

Gst shouldn't be payable on Internet purchases under $1000.

As such it should be a lot cheaper to get this shipped into aus than buy it locally.

Gst shouldn't be payable on Internet purchases under $1000.

As such it should be a lot cheaper to get this shipped into aus than buy it locally.

Read up on my calculations:

For example: Buy a 980Ti off NCIXUS.com ($649) then ground shipping to ShipIto.com ($9.95) then pay the mail forwarding centre ($1) then pay for the USPS postage over to Australia (~$75)

649+9.95+1+75 = $734.95

Convert that to AUD (@$1.29) = $948.78

Hey! Look at that. You saved $100, wasted a week (or more) waiting for the damn thing to arrive and imagine if you need to send your card off for warranty.

Is saving $100 worth: 1) The wait for it to be shipped. 2) What if your card is DOA or has an issue that requires it to go back to the store you brought it from?

snip

I just saw your post. Based on what my friends tell me, living in WA sucks because of how isolated Perth is from the rest of the country. Also I thought Amazon didn't ship to Australia? Everything I seem to buy has to go through a mail forwarding centre.

I'm in the US, but more specifically where I live (Tennessee) has sales tax from 7.0%-9.75% D:

today the GTX 980 Ti reference showed up in stores here, in Romania

961.97 USD using google conversion rate, including 24% VAT  :o

it may actually be cheaper to buy it from Amazon US, including transport

What is 1150 Aus dollar so I don't know why the hell Aussies are alwats complaining about their taxes when everyone is paying the same or more. People should really start to realize that 650$ MSRP does not mean that you will get a 1 to 1 conversation in currencies and call it a day. Every nation will charge import tax, and other sales taxes, etc. 

Well I paid €769.90 for my EVGA 980Ti Superclocked cards from Caseking.de in Germany.

EVGA are selling them at €759, although their stock doesn't even last long enough to complete the checkout.

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

According to review sites its gonna be 750 euro's here.

Probably a combination of the crappy conversionrate (1 euro = 1.09 USD) and 21% tax.

Having 21% tax sucks but we're accustomed to include tax in store prices so at least we know how mich we actually have to pay. Secondly our public services are much better than the US (when I went to California i was shocked by how bad the roads are).

This all day long.. Their is more than just sales tax.. There is import duty. Costs of doing business for the retailer and supply chain and so on..

Does stuff cost less in the states.. Yes but you need many more things to live with some sort of security, health insurance, dental, education and such for a start.

Also, the roads in america are shockingly bad.. I currently live in Kiev andi think its on par and this is 2nd world country as far as economics go...

I don'T PreSS caPs.. I juST Hit THe keYboARd so HarD iT CriTs :P

Quote or @dzzope to get my attention..

Well I paid €769.90 for my EVGA 980Ti Superclocked cards from Caseking.de in Germany.

EVGA are selling them at €759, although their stock doesn't even last long enough to complete the checkout.

hahaha so true... they got stock few days ago... I was literally on their page when the email came in... and couldn't complete the checkout (wasted tad bit of time on registering) before it runs out

On topic here -> what are those cards in ebay? selling for 700$ on stock cooler... First how the heck did these guys got their hand on one? Second why would they sell it? Third it can't be fakes... not all atleast because some of them comes from seller who has over thoudsands sales with perfect review/scores....

PLEASE QUOTE OR TAG (WITH @) ME IF YOU REALLY REALLY REALLY WANT ME TO REPLY!!!!!!!

Also if your issue is solved don't forget to mark the thread as solved!
Peace!!! from a random person in the tech's god forsaken land (named Finland or as I like to call it sarcastically FUNland)