Apple says Apple Watch heart rate reader failing to read is a feature, not a bug

GoodBytes

The Apple watch has a feature that is supposed to read your heart rate every 10 min.

But since the latest update, Apple has been editing it's support pages to reflect an issues that people reported where the heart rate monitor no longer measure the user heart rate every 10min. It is skipping the moment it is supposed to measure every now and then.

Apple says that this is a new feature of the watch, where the heart rate monitor only reads your pulse when you don't move at all. If you move your arm, it wont' measure your heart. The support pages of the Apple watch has been modified to reflect this claim.

DSC_8064-2040.0.0.jpg

An updated heart rate information page on Apple's website, first spotted by 9to5Mac, says that the device "attempts to measure your heart rate every 10 minutes, but won't record it when you're in motion or your arm is moving." The page was updated today, and it previously made no mention that certain movements would prevent a passive heart rate reading. (A separate feature, in the Workout app, can record your heart rate during runs or other physical activities.)

Source: http://www.theverge.com/2015/5/30/8691513/apple-watch-sporadic-heart-rate-readings-explained

So that just turned the Apple watch heart monitor totally useless. Not only you need to stop running, but you need to catch the 10min cycle for your heart rate to be read. So this render the entire feature pointless. Maybe they should rename it to "Heart Attack Confirmation Monitor", 'cause it is the only time I see it being useful.

If in doubt, make it a feature.

NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.

Apple = Thick as two planks of wood.

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

Apple = Thinks their customers are thick as two planks of wood.

FTFY

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

FTFY

Some of them are... surprisingly.

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

So that just turned the Apple watch heart monitor totally useless. Not only you need to stop running, but you need to catch the 10min cycle for your heart rate to be read. So this render the entire feature pointless. Maybe they should rename it to "Heart Attack Confirmation Monitor", 'cause it is the only time I see it being useful.

Did you actually read the text you quoted? "A separate feature, in the Workout app, can record your heart rate during runs or other physical activities."

"Same rules since the first man picked up the first stick and beat the second man's ass with it."

Widely misinterpreted (as always with apple reports)...

There's a workout mode where it'll constantly check your heart rate every 10 sec. The feature they're talking about here is passive one where it would check your heartbeat every 10 min regardless what you're doing

And I believe Android Wear doesn't have this continuous functionality rather on request or workout mode while the AW atleast takes every 10 minutes while you aren't doing anything to I guess make sure everything's ok

There's a workout mode where it'll constantly check your heart rate every 10 sec. The feature they're talking about here is passive one where it would check your heartbeat every 10 min regardless what you're doing

And I believe Android Wear doesn't have this continuous functionality rather on request or workout mode while the AW atleast takes every 10 minutes while you aren't doing anything to I guess make sure everything's ok

So how does the fact I'm moving my arm somehow invalidate the fact my heart might be doing funny things? I mean c'mon, its called a heart rate monitor for god sakes, clues in the name. I think most people are clever enough to look back at the numbers and realise that a high reading might be because of activity.

The whole process is rendered completely moot if your gonna stop monitoring because of movement.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Chances are it was destroying the battery life so they changed.

I feel like if you need to monitor your heart rate while exercising, you probably shouldn't rely on Apple for it.

4K // R5 3600 // RTX2080Ti

Wait, you're using facts? To the stake with you, heathen! 

I'll go a step further - if you're using a Apple Watch as a activity watch, you truly need assistance. 

Get a Basis Peak or Fitbit Surge (I lean towards Basis more and more, my Surge makes me sad). More robust tracking algorithms, passable HR, built in GPS and true running and cycling modes (along with various others) that actually spit out valid data. 

If Apple left it as is and people complained about the battery life being less than it should as a result, people would bitch. Apple took it out because you don't need constant HR outside of activity monitoring, people still bitch. I am convinced this is the Schrodinger's Cat of bitching. 

This is only in the normal, "resting" mode where it doesn't poll the HR sensor as much. In activity mode, it will be polling constantly. Its a battery saver. Not different to my Fitbit Surge which pulses every now and then, will actively sense HR when you go to the information page for HR, and otherwise is constant during an activity. 

Came here to say the same thing.

All actual sports watches have contentious monitoring, water proof, you can go swim with it, can track your strokes as you swim, and a lot more, and cost about the same as the Apple watch.

But regardless, the feature WAS working on the Apple watch, and stopped working properly after the update.

So what is the point?

All actual sports watches have contentious monitoring, water proof, you can go swim with it, can track your strokes as you swim, and a lot more, and cost about the same as the Apple watch.

But regardless, the feature WAS working on the Apple watch, and stopped working properly after the update.

So what is the point?

Like I said, passive tracking has been nerfed to poll less frequently. Active tracking is the same. 

I have a Suunto Ambit. Wonderful activity watch, although fairly pricey for a dedicated tracking watch. Its also exceptionally dumb and is only good at activity tracking. It doesn't look fashionable, it certainly isn't pairing well with business casual and it just isn't a all around watch. Its a very dedicated device. 

The Apple Watch, 360, G Watch; they're all smartwatches being sold in a niche that is still trying to justify its existence. They do a little of everything and excel at nothing. It just so happens that Apple charges the most and gets crap for it. Nothing new there.

Gotta love when products are uncovered for false advertisement, suddenly get extra kind of weird features.

this acutally makes sense since you are supposed to read your heart beat when you find yourself in a resting state.

Admit it, u never have been to your doctor to measure your heartbeat while biking/walking unless needed for medical research not?

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

this acutally makes sense since you are supposed to read your heart beat when you find yourself in a resting state.

Admit it, u never have been to your doctor to measure your heartbeat while biking/walking unless needed for medical research not?

The most valid (and really, the only truly accurate) time to get a resting heart rate is just before you wake up, which is what the Watch (and several watches) use to get their resting heart rate. Getting your HR when moving, its not as useful a number. You are moving, you're excited. It makes sense in activities, you want to know what it is continuously and the watch continuously tracks that. 

But when you're not in that, having a resting heart rate is far more valuable in diagnostic purposes. 

Even in research, we hook up to ECGs. Infinitely more accurate and far more detailed than a wrist based solution (at this point in time) will ever be. 

Like I said, passive tracking has been nerfed to poll less frequently. Active tracking is the same.

Doesn't mater. What is the point of the feature is now it will only track your heart rate when you are in front of your computer (basically). Just disable it.

Doesn't mater. What is the point of the feature is now it will only track your heart rate when you are in front of your computer (basically). Just disable it.

I don't think you're getting why its doing that. 

Constantly polling your heart rate, for any tracker, outside of activity purposes doesn't make sense. You're really interested in your RESTING rate, thats the one that is actually useful to have. So yes, the heart rate when you're in front of your computer or otherwise NOT MOVING is actually diagnostically crucial and the most useful to have. 

My doc actually used my HR logs to aid his process. My resting went from 65BPM all the way to 74BPM. That is not a insignificant increase. Nearly 10BPM more when I'm sitting around? Something is seriously wrong. That is useful information. 

My BPM when I am moving around doesn't tell anyone anything. Each person has different increases and decreases in the same activity. Everyone however will have diagnostically useful resting heart rates, which as I said is medically more important. 

Apple changing the behaviour to what it honestly should've been isn't a bad thing. 

Without the ten minute interval I could see it being a non issue -- I.e you could check your heart rate as soon as you stop moving...but the ten minute interval makes it hard (stupid) to time...so I just have one question, is it fixed at every ten minutes exactly, or does it wait ten minutes and then poll at the next moment of no movement?

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.