Intel, AMD Form New Cross-License, Graphics Included

Why would you use of the word out of context?

The license itself is clearly for the typical cross-licensing of each others instruction sets. I doubt the source even bothered to check the date at the bottom of the license.

Reading a license agreement without any legal knowledge is like reading the bible, everyone has their own interpretation of it.

I didn't use it out of context. If you had read the agreement and actually remembered much of any of it, you'd have realized that was the only nail in the coffin required.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

I didn't use it out of context. If you had read the agreement and actually remembered much of any of it, you'd have realized that was the only nail in the coffin required.

That's the point is the agreement does not agree (see wat I dud thur) with any of your own statements.

That's the point is the agreement does not agree (see wat I dud thur) with any of your own statements.

Actually it does. If you had a shred of reading comprehension not blinded by your red shades you'd realize that.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Actually it does. If you had a shred of reading comprehension not blinded by your red shades you'd realize that.

Please do yourself a favor and take some advice I gave you a few posts back. You need to supply the community with hard evidence to backup your own claims. The license agreement is sitting right there for all of us to read. Pick it apart and show us exactly where did both sides forfeit their IP portfolios. The only shred of relevance I see in the license agreement is the refusal of legal obligation due to the use of said particular IP (instructions) in licensed products.

Please do yourself a favor and take some advice I gave you a few posts back. You need to supply the community with hard evidence to backup your own claims. The license agreement is sitting right there for all of us to read. Pick it apart and show us exactly where did both sides forfeit their IP portfolios. The only shred of relevance I see in the license agreement is the refusal of legal obligation due to the use of said particular IP (instructions) in licensed products.

I gave you exactly what you need. Don't believe me? Hire a lawyer. I'm not prostrating myself twice for someone who would never listen to me in the first place because of his irrational biases. I have paid my obligations in full. I haven't the time nor charitable notions to deal with your serpentine, misguided mind further right now and have a job to wake up for in the morning. Good day and good night Opcode.

Patrickjp93 is condescending and it is not what this community is about.

Don't be to focused on definitions of single words rather than using the legal context that these were written in. The way it is written "No other copyright license to AMD is provided by this Agreement other than as set forth in this paragraph, either directly or by implication or estoppel." 

The implication is instruction sets, what kind of instruction sets processor ones.

Patrickjp93 is condescending and it is not what this community is about.

Don't be to focused on definitions of single words rather than using the legal context that these were written in. The way it is written "No other copyright license to AMD is provided by this Agreement other than as set forth in this paragraph, either directly or by implication or estoppel." 

The implication is instruction sets, what kind of instruction sets processor ones.

He is a "certified genius" and wishes to seek others on his level of intellect. Good luck to him, I say. 

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

He is a "certified genius" and wishes to seek others on his level of intellect. Good luck to him, I say. 

futuramafry.jpg

Not sure if dissing him or everyone else.

Also your avatar looks like a cat guitar.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

futuramafry.jpg

Not sure if dissing him or everyone else.

Also your avatar looks like a cat guitar.

I'll give you a hint: it's not everyone else. I couldn't believe the arrogance when I initially read what he said.

The guitar is a Jackson SLATQH. It has a very thick quilted maple top (mahogany underneath).

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

This has been done for years and years. No one has all the patents they need to make their processors. This is only on instruction sets. Nothing less. Nothing more. As it has been for year.

Main Gaming PC - i9 10850k @ 5GHz - EVGA XC Ultra 2080ti with Heatkiller 4 - Asrock Z490 Taichi - Corsair H115i - 32GB GSkill Ripjaws V 3600 CL16 OC'd to 3733 - HX850i - Samsung NVME 256GB SSD - Samsung 3.2TB PCIe 8x Enterprise NVMe - Toshiba 3TB 7200RPM HD - Lian Li Air

Proxmox Server - i7 8700k @ 4.5Ghz - 32GB EVGA 3000 CL15 OC'd to 3200 - Asus Strix Z370-E Gaming - Oracle F80 800GB Enterprise SSD, LSI SAS running 3 4TB and 2 6TB (Both Raid Z0), Samsung 840Pro 120GB - Phanteks Enthoo Pro

Super Server - i9 7980Xe @ 4.5GHz - 64GB 3200MHz Cl16 - Asrock X299 Professional - Nvidia Telsa K20 -Sandisk 512GB Enterprise SATA SSD, 128GB Seagate SATA SSD, 1.5TB WD Green (Over 9 years of power on time) - Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2

Laptop - 2019 Macbook Pro 16" - i7 - 16GB - 512GB - 5500M 8GB - Thermal Pads and Graphite Tape modded

Smart Phones - iPhone X - 64GB, AT&T, iOS 13.3 iPhone 6 : 16gb, AT&T, iOS 12 iPhone 4 : 16gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 7.1.1 Jailbroken. iPhone 3G : 8gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 4.2.1 Jailbroken.

The definitions section defines what constitutes a "Processor" as it pertains to this agreement.

Section 3 spells out which IP's related to processors, as defined, are being licensed. So any processor that fits the definition is a valid source for Instruction sets, mnemonics, opcodes, etc.

Neither Processors themselves, nor the architectures that make them up, are being licensed, so far as I have seen anyway. There is a lot of redacted text though so we cannot say for sure what terms, that could be pertinent, are simply unknown to us.

Neither Processors themselves, nor the architectures that make them up, are being licensed, so far as I have seen anyway. There is a lot of redacted text though so we cannot say for sure what terms, that could be pertinent, are simply unknown to us.

This last sentence sums it up for me,  Too much redaction and I am not a lawyer (even though some in this thread act like they are), it does read to me that they can make the chips how ever they want so long as it isn't physically compatible. Which actually makes sense from a business perspective. 

AMD can develop and sell microprocessors compatible with Intel’s x86 instruction set architecture and featuring various extensions,

Just because AMD have always had a license to build x86 compatible CPU's doesn't mean this new deal doesn't go further. After all, why would they need to draw attention to this:

the companies are not allowed to build processors that are compatible with competitor’s infrastructure (e.g., sockets, mainboards, etc.).

If it was the same old IP agreement that didn't allow it before?

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

If Intel goed into manufacturing Gpus... This is going to be Very interesting

- snip-

I can't see them being interested in GPU's as we gamers know them, but I can see them getting very interested in GPGPU's on chip for machines that do real time analysis of large data like Medical imaging or military grade radar and automated defense machines.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Even if they don't intend to enter the gaming market, I see nothing major stopping them from entering fields like scientific compute

I can't see them being interested in GPU's as we gamers know them, but I can see them getting very interested in GPGPU's on chip for machines that do real time analysis of large data like Medical imaging or military grade radar and automated defense machines.

It's a shame though, if all 300 series cards are a rebrand (let's not get into it) but it would be great if a company as powerful as Intel to shake things up for us consumers.

- snip-

Intel making discrete graphics cards is something they simply cannot do. Reason for that is they are too far behind both AMD and Nvidia when it comes to drivers. It would take years for Intel to catch up with the driver optimization in games that both the red and green team hold. In that time span both of them companies would continue to make leaps on Intel. The only place Intel can be some what competitive in the consumer market is their integrated graphics.

Intel making discrete graphics cards is something they simply cannot do. Reason for that is they are too far behind both AMD and Nvidia when it comes to drivers. It would take years for Intel to catch up with the driver optimization in games that both the red and green team hold. In that time span both of them companies would continue to make leaps on Intel. The only place Intel can be some what competitive in the consumer market is their integrated graphics.

As I said, even if they would have a hard time entering the gaming market, what prevents them from entering fields like scientific compute?

So Intel just gained every Radeon IP? How is this good for AMD, they loose the edge they had with APU's or am I missing something?

So Intel just gained every Radeon IP? How is this good for AMD, they loose the edge they had with APU's or am I missing something?

I think everyone in this thread is missing something :lol: . 

But seriously, even though AMD are struggling, they aren't stupid (although some of their recent purchases then disbanding created a few questions).  I honestly think they know what they are doing, they just have an uphill battle regardless of what direction they choose to take.

Finally something moving for intel graphics, and possibly HSA lets see whats going to happen.

I think everyone in this thread is missing something :lol: . 

But seriously, even though AMD are struggling, they aren't stupid (although some of their recent purchases then disbanding created a few questions).  I honestly think they know what they are doing, they just have an uphill battle regardless of what direction they choose to take.

Yeah, I'm sure they know what they are doing but I just can't figure them out.  :D

Maybe they are pushing for faster adoption of HSA or just want to strengthen OpenCL's future.

Yeah, I'm sure they know what they are doing but I just can't figure them out.  :D

Maybe they are pushing for faster adoption of HSA or just want to strengthen OpenCL's future.

Without a doubt, they are quite invested in openCL and need it to take of or they stand to loose again with investment into yet another dithering technology.