Intel, AMD Form New Cross-License, Graphics Included

As I said, even if they would have a hard time entering the gaming market, what prevents them from entering fields like scientific compute?

Nothing's stopping them from the HPC ecosystem. That's why I specified for the consumer market.

So Intel just gained every Radeon IP? How is this good for AMD, they loose the edge they had with APU's or am I missing something?

The thread is misleading and the original post/source contain statements that are untrue. Intel doesn't have their hands on any AMD company IP and vise versa. The license is merely for x86 and x64 instruction sets that was signed back in 2009.

The thread is misleading and the original post/source contain statements that are untrue. Intel doesn't have their hands on any AMD company IP and vise versa. The license is merely for x86 and x64 instruction sets that was signed back in 2009.

Except the agreement which was signed in 2009 included Intel getting access to  ATI patents, and this new agreement includes amendments that don't seem necessary if the details haven't changed.

There is so much we don't know, no one can say they did or didn't.

Intel, on the other hand, now has access to patents of ATI, graphics business unit of AMD.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/display/20091115115331_AMD_s_Partners_Welcome_New_Pact_with_Intel.html

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Except the agreement which was signed in 2009 included Intel getting access to  ATI patents, and this new agreement includes amendments that don't seem necessary if the details haven't changed.

There is so much we don't know, no one can say they did or didn't.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/display/20091115115331_AMD_s_Partners_Welcome_New_Pact_with_Intel.html

Care to distinguish where in the license you found such terms?

P.S. There is no new agreement, they are basing their article off of a 2009 license.

Oh who cares? You can read the original source. I provided the news and my short opinion on it. There's not much to say beyond this anyway.

Read the "TN&R Posting Guidelines" below this to find out why.  ;)

Having problems with your fresh Windows 10 install? PM Me!
Windows 10- Want To Disable Telemetry, Disable Cortana, Disable Windows Updates? Look at my guide HERE
LTT Beginners Guide  | Community Standards | TN&R Posting Guidelines

He is a "certified genius" and wishes to seek others on his level of intellect. Good luck to him, I say. 

The forums ignore feature works wonders. one can quickly forget someone even exists.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

Care to distinguish where in the license you found such terms?

P.S. There is no new agreement, they are basing their article off of a 2009 license.

Was this not good enough for you?

Intel, on the other hand, now has access to patents of ATI, graphics business unit of AMD.

2009 is the latest agreement, you seem to be arguing that Intel don't have access to Radeon IP, while this article says they do.  Also the Filed agreement (I'll replace "new" for "latest" although it doesn't sound any more right given it's 6 years old) Doesn't actually say GPU IP is not part of it, at least not that I have found. 

On top of that, Kitguru has gone to measure to report the fact that each company cannot manufacture a chip that is compatible in the other companies infrastructure. If that is not an update from the 2001 agreement or an update from AMD regarding the current agreement in place that doesn't seem necessary to report/confirm,  then I don't what is.

Given how burden of proof works, and that I say we don't know, while Xbit says they have access, Kit guru seems to think they have more than just CPU IP, Which only leaves you making counter claims and thus the burden of proof is on you. Show us where in that license it stipulates Intel does not have access to AMD GPU IP. And I'll cease posting claiming we don't know.

Personally I don't really care and it really is a moot point if they have access or not anyway, Intel made it clear they wanted to go with Nvidia's IP and happily paid $1.5B for it. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Intel making discrete graphics cards is something they simply cannot do. Reason for that is they are too far behind both AMD and Nvidia when it comes to drivers. It would take years for Intel to catch up with the driver optimization in games that both the red and green team hold. In that time span both of them companies would continue to make leaps on Intel. The only place Intel can be some what competitive in the consumer market is their integrated graphics.

It has less to do with drivers, and more to do with Intel lacking a tessellation license, no? Without the means to handle tessellation, anything they do gaming wise will always be crippled compared to Nvidia/AMD. That being said, i agree that Intel's iGPU drivers have been garbage for me in the past, especially when trying to configure them to work on a Xen hypervisor. Having to constantly patch them to work as the GPU handling the main ubuntu OS is always frustrating.

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

Wouldn't this be a turn off for companies that may seek into acquiring AMD? From what I read, the agreement was already in effect, but they just made it so it will be terminated once ownership of one of the company changes. For a company seeking in acquiring AMD, they would either have to make a new agreement which may not even work out or make up their own IPs, in which case you will be investing too much.

Wouldn't this be a turn off for companies that may seek into acquiring AMD? From what I read, the agreement was already in effect, but they just made it so it will be terminated once ownership of one of the company changes. For a company seeking in acquiring AMD, they would either have to make a new agreement which may not even work out or make up their own IPs, in which case you will be investing too much.

That is exactly what i was thinking. I even mentioned it in the first page of this thread. I cannot see AMD being acquired so shortly after this agreement was made. 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

Wow what a partnership. Intel is making some serious moves.

it isn't a partnership, its a renewal of their long standing ISA cross license.

Let's think about this for a minute...

We've seen in the past how DirectX12 allows GPUs of all sorts work together to increase performance.  So if Intel and AMD can take advantage of this deal/renewal/whatever it is, then maybe down the line they can improve upon this feature DX12 allows to further increase their synergy together.  Let's face it, most people have an Intel CPU with a Radeon GPU, so this type of synergy will actually be widespread.

[witty signature]

Nvintemd IGPAPCPU in 10, 9, 8.....

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

forgive me if im just not understanding this and this might sound incredibly tin foil hat. But if AMD was going to be acquired by a larger company, couldnt this agreement have been made to pre-emptively cripple intel? After they start using AMD's technology if AMD does not use Intel's tech in return the larger company buys them nulling the contract leaving intel completely unable to continue manufacturing all applicable processors. Again my understanding of the matter isn't incredibly vast so maybe if someone could explain it to me.

forgive me if im just not understanding this and this might sound incredibly tin foil hat. But if AMD was going to be acquired by a larger company, couldnt this agreement have been made to pre-emptively cripple intel? After the start using AMD's technology if AMD does not use Intel's tech in return the larger company buys them nulling the contract leaving intel completely unable to continue manufacturing all applicable processors. Again my understanding of the matter isn't incredibly vast so maybe if someone could explain it to me.

Eh, Intel could turn the entire industry towards Itanium in a heartbeat. It might take a few months of microcode revisions, but Intel could do it. AMD would be the one not surviving such a schism.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd