school computer experiences

Pony080905

We have lenovos too. I set up a remote desktop connection on my PC at home, and was able to connect to it from the laptop. It was SOOOOO much faster. much recommend

eGPU Setup: Macbook Pro 13" 16GB DDR3 RAM, 512GB SSD, i5 3210M, GTX 980 eGPU

New PC: i7-4790k, Corsair H100iGTX, ASrock Fatal1ty Z97 Killer, 24GB Ram, 850 EVO 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD, GTX 1080 Fractal Design R4, EVGA Supernova G2 650W

At my current school, college rather, it's not the computers that are bad. It's the instructor. Each PC has an i7-3770, 16GB 1600MHz RAM, and an Nvidia Quadro card (unsure on model off hand), each with a fiber line as well. Two classrooms with these PCs, 25 in each room. Each room also has a dedicated fiber line from the ISP, each with an SLA in case of downtime/maintenance. Pretty solid machines, especially for the light virtualization and Cisco network configuration we do.

However... The teacher constantly refers to the computers as "true 8-core CPUs," when in reality, they only have 4 cores, 8 threads. He also thinks that each computer themselves has a dedicated fiber line to the ISP, which would be absolutely ridiculous. Not unheard of, but ridiculous. Then he goes as far as to say that they have the highest end Quadro and CPU available on the market, with the fastest RAM available (which it is, for the boards. But not in general like he assumes). He's a total moron when it comes to computer specs and hardware. When talking about Cisco equipment, he's spot on. But with desktops that are nearly 3 years old now, and calling them the latest and greatest, he's a facking idiot. Bugs the living hell out of me.

FX-8350 | GA-990FXA-UD3 | G.SKILL 2x8GB 1600MHz | 1TB WD RE4 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI R9 290x Lightning | Corsair AX860i | Silverstone FT05B-W

Pentium G3258 | MSI Z97 PC Mate | G.SKILL 4x4GB 1066MHz | 500GB Samsung 2.5" | Stock cooler | Pending GPU | EVGA 500B | Antec DF-35

GoPro Hero 3 Silver | Netgear R7000 Nighthawk with DD-WRT | HP Officejet Pro 8610 | Canon iP110 | AudioTechnica ATR2500 USB

Downdraft cooler for mITX board (new build) | Desk mount mic stand | Pop filter | Anti-vibration mount for microphone | mITX case | 3rd monitor (matching existing 23.1" | Intel Core i7-4790K (for mITX build)

We have both dell Laptops (Dell Latitude)(this except with like 300gb hdd, everything else is exact) and Computers (this except older), all of them are like about 7 years old, they all came with windows vista, then downgraded to windows xp, then due to recent state testing a majority of the computers were upgraded to windows 7.

We also recently got a small handful of these Lenovo's with Pentiums in them to go in one of our computer labs, they are rather a lot more decent then the other crap computers.

But my school board is only $12M in debt (really), so don't blame me.

meanwhile the county next to mine provides each one of their students with ipads...

Edit: I just realized lenovo changed their logo and website a bit...

Intel i5-6600k (Cooled by a 212 evo) - Asus Z170-A - Asus Dual OC GTX 1060 - NZXT S340 - WD 1TB (Getting SSD this month, hopefully) - 8GB DDR4-2400

LG G4 - Asus Zenwatch 2

The school uses mostly low profile HP machines. It's a mix of some with fairly beefy i5s and some with Core 2s. (I own a couple of the Core 2s. Guess where I got them. HP DC7800 and Elite 8000.) 

Speed is okay. They've been running 7 ever since they upgraded from XP. My school also gives out Chromebooks and ever since I got a Saturday school for using IRC on mine I just bring in my own laptop.

NZXT Phantom|FX-8320 @4.4GHz|Gigabyte 970A-UD3P|240GB SSD|2x 500GB HDD|16GB RAM|2x AMD MSI R9 270|2x 1080p IPS|Win 10

Dell Precision M4500 - Dell Latitude E4310 - HTC One M8

$200 Volvo 245

At my school, we have a class that I take that all we do is edit video. The classrom has some crappy 2.8GHz Dual Core Pentium with Intel G41 graphics while the library has Intel HD 4000 and 3.4 GHz quad core i3s. All they do is browse the web on these computers in the library. Thankfully, our classroom is getting really nice computers with good video cards. Take that library! All of the computers are Lenovo.

My old school had a mix of i3/4GB and C2D/4GB machines which were easy as hell to brick the BIOS's of, along with some P3 and P4 machines. The CNC mill for electronics used to be ran off some old Toshiba with 32MB RAM since it was the fastest thing around that had a parallel printer port and I was a bit sad when it got replaced.

College has a mix of old C2D/2GB machines about to hit their refresh time soon, some Pentium E2XXX/2GB machines dotted around with a little bit to go before refresh, but the bulk are Ivy i3/4GB complimented with i5/4GB laptops and god awful chromebooks, and a few i3/4GB ultrabooks. Everything is Dell, everything is Optiplex, but the new machines have SSDs, they're actually really snappy machines and they don't get loud at all

LTT's fastest Valley 970, slowest Valley Basic and Extreme HD scores

Desktop || CPU - i5 4690k || Motherboard - ASUS Gryphon Z97 || RAM - 16GB Kingston HyperX 1866MHz || GPU - Gigabyte G1 GTX 970 *Cough* 3.5GB || Case - Fractal Design Define R5 || HDD - Seagate Barracuda 160GB || PSU - Corsair AX760

We have old Lenovo PC's with "i5's" at my college, but they have the network setup some weird way so everything is farking slow no matter what you do.

You know what's fun? Having 300 computers all connect to a single server running VMs.

At my current school, college rather, it's not the computers that are bad. It's the instructor. Each PC has an i7-3770, 16GB 1600MHz RAM, and an Nvidia Quadro card (unsure on model off hand), each with a fiber line as well. Two classrooms with these PCs, 25 in each room. Each room also has a dedicated fiber line from the ISP, each with an SLA in case of downtime/maintenance. Pretty solid machines, especially for the light virtualization and Cisco network configuration we do.

However... The teacher constantly refers to the computers as "true 8-core CPUs," when in reality, they only have 4 cores, 8 threads. He also thinks that each computer themselves has a dedicated fiber line to the ISP, which would be absolutely ridiculous. Not unheard of, but ridiculous. Then he goes as far as to say that they have the highest end Quadro and CPU available on the market, with the fastest RAM available (which it is, for the boards. But not in general like he assumes). He's a total moron when it comes to computer specs and hardware. When talking about Cisco equipment, he's spot on. But with desktops that are nearly 3 years old now, and calling them the latest and greatest, he's a facking idiot. Bugs the living hell out of me.

my english teacher is like that, he lames the laptops for being slow on the windows updates

The weird kid in the corner eating glue
“People think that I must be a very strange person. This is not correct. I have the heart of a small boy. It is in a glass jar on my desk.” - Stephen King

You know what's fun? Having 300 computers all connect to a single server running VMs.

I wanna say that's what ours is, more or less.

virus, virus everywhere, i hate school pcs

almost lost my important file due to this doom pcs

Some crappy HP computers that have Windows 7 on them but they really can't handle Windows 7 well. They run first gen i5's or something. I never saw the specs because oh wow the school blocks it. Yet I can run batch files and bypass security blocks on CMD no problem.

We also have these shit samsung chromebooks. They suck really, really bad. Honestly I bet a Raspberry pi would have better performance than one of those. They're also weak and parts of them become dislocated or loose with general use. (Screen hinges)

Also if you hold the fullscreen button with chrome open the screen starts to glitch out because of how slow they are. And if you run a Javascript script that is too long, it crashes the system.

At my old high school the moden computer lab used IE as the default with firefox as an option using the slowest core i3 ever and the mobile lab was using dell latitudes that had no battery life, what I did was just used my laptop when ever I needed a computer much faster and less issues.  At my university I only use computers that are only accessed by Computing and Digital media Majors

LjyvT1J.jpg

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

I am dating myself here, but...

The first experience I had in school with computers was in college. They had two of them. A CDC 3600 and a CDC 6500. We communicated with them using 80 column punch cards and if we were lucky we got two turn-arounds a day. There were no such things as desktop computers.

So as old and outdated your school's equipment is, it is getting better. Who knows, your kids will probably be complaining about out of date technology that doesn't even exist yet. -P

Sgt. Murphy says, "Never forget that your weapons and equipment were made by the lowest bidder."

I don't think my old school had a single pc not built by dell. They were all crap.

We're using Dell Wyse thin clients to connect using RDP to VMs on overdedicated servers. 6 of them, each has 240GB of RAM and some old Xeon. 1.5GB per VM.

My high school did something similar my senior year. I job shadowed the IT guy and it turned out that they were great at the other schools in our district that all had fiber connections to the servers (each of which supposedly had 1TB of ram). But in the main server room there was a box drawn in sharpie on the wall that said "future fiber for high school" since it is much further away than the other schools. 

We also had a ton of old dell desktops with 512mb of ram and pentium 4 cpus. 

My college is a different story. We have mostly dell desktops with core i7s and 16gb of ram. Not sure about graphics. The engineering building has a gigabit internet connection. For the rest of the university it is pretty much i3s or i5s and 4-8gb of ram with about a 15-60mbps internet connection. 

In every school, there's one fool called system admin and the guy simply doesn't care about the systems at all...  :angry:

There's always a way...

The first experience I had in school with computers was in college. They had two of them. A CDC 3600 and a CDC 6500.

Two! All to themselves.  Jings you were spoiled.

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

In my day we used ZX Spectrum's with the rubber keyboards and BBC model B's, but that was the 80's so there was no internet for us, the BBC's where connected via LAN so we played MUD.

Cry Havoc!

LjyvT1J.jpg

what do you mean

The weird kid in the corner eating glue
“People think that I must be a very strange person. This is not correct. I have the heart of a small boy. It is in a glass jar on my desk.” - Stephen King

My high school did something similar my senior year. I job shadowed the IT guy and it turned out that they were great at the other schools in our district that all had fiber connections to the servers (each of which supposedly had 1TB of ram). But in the main server room there was a box drawn in sharpie on the wall that said "future fiber for high school" since it is much further away than the other schools. 

We also had a ton of old dell desktops with 512mb of ram and pentium 4 cpus. 

My college is a different story. We have mostly dell desktops with core i7s and 16gb of ram. Not sure about graphics. The engineering building has a gigabit internet connection. For the rest of the university it is pretty much i3s or i5s and 4-8gb of ram with about a 15-60mbps internet connection. 

We still have some machines with Pentium 4s, we're slowly phasing them out. And the 'teacher computers' that we have are fat clients - they're actually running on the machine. These are terrible. The best have a Pentium D and 2GB of RAM, the worst some sort of Celeron and 1GB. The failure rates are surprisingly low though. Whenever I do a speedtest on a VM, I'm getting about 60mbps down and about 30 up. However, the CCTV probably archives to the cloud, using up some of the upload bandwidth. The connection's fast enough for however many computers though.

And you're lucky to get those machines.

Sig under construction.

The first experience I had in school with computers was in college. They had two of them. A CDC 3600 and a CDC 6500. We communicated with them using 80 column punch cards and if we were lucky we got two turn-arounds a day. There were no such things as desktop computers.

So as old and outdated your school's equipment is, it is getting better. Who knows, your kids will probably be complaining about out of date technology that doesn't even exist yet. -P

In jr High my older brother had the punchcards but when I got there they had 300 baud teletypes hooked up to a mini computer at some collage. There was a game called lander that was awesome. You typed in thrust changes to land a lander you could not see. Just distance, gravity and velocity on the teletype. It took me weeks and i may have failed the class but I did land that thing on the moon! It was more fun then not learning Cobol and fortran:) Our computers were slow but our music rocked!