Is Razer Kraken a piece of s**t?

danixdlolz

I used to have the kraken pros but they stopped working on one side right after the warranty ended. I don't mind it though as the sound quality was awful.

It's really interesting how Linus didn't completely hate the Kraken's

I had crossfade LP's for a while and I was happy with those until I got some HD 598's. You might want to look at those, V-Moda makes some pretty good stuff. If you need a microphone, they sell one that plugs into the headphones.

CPU : Intel Core i7 3960X, Mobo : X79-UD3, Memory : 4x4GB Vengeance Black Memory 1600MHz, GPU : Asus GTX 970 Strix, Case : Switch 810 Matte Black, Storage : 256GB Samsung 830 SSD, Seagate Barracuda 1TB, PSU : Thermaltake 750W 80+ Bronze, Displays : 3x Asus 1080p Screens, Cooling : Corsair H100i, Keyboard : Logitech G710+, Mouse : Madcat Cyborg R.A.T.7, Sound : Sennheiser HD598, V-Moda Crossfade LP, Logitech Z-5500, HMD : Oculus Rift CV1

I have used the Logitech G35 Headset, a cheap old Fatality Headset from Creative back in 2009, and that's about it really. I use these ones just fine, and they are surround sound so I hear noises perfectly from 3, 6, 8 o clock you name it. If I can hear it, I can typically always tell the direction, so much so I've been accused of walling in CS GO.

You can get much better at that price. And most games have a headset/surround mode, making the 7.1 built-in useless. (one example of this is CS:GO)

It's really interesting how Linus didn't completely hate the Kraken's

look at his forged review lol.

Intel Core i7 7770K | 32 GB's Ram 3000MHz | GTX 1080 Ti | 250GB SSD | 3TB 7400 RPM | Sound Blaster Z | ASUS ROG MG278Q | Razer Blackwidow Chroma | Final Mouse 2015 | Blue Yeti | Seinheiser HD 600's | Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro | Aune T1 MK2

I don't recommend you get any headset. A headset for 100 dollars is usually about as good quality and performance wise as a 5 dollar mic glued to 40 dollar headphones.

That most likely goes for the HyperX Clouds 2 as well (although I haven't used them or seen any frequency response curves for them, but it's a pretty safe bet).

I don't know which headphones under 100 dollars are good or bad, but if I were you I'd listen to the people recommending separate headphones and mics. In 99.9% of the cases you end up with a better setup that way.

I've never touched a cloud 2, but the clouds are pretty decent for what I got, can't complain for the 70 bucks I paid. Mic isn't stellar but I'm a quite SP gamer so it's not a problem for me.

Do not  as I  do, and  not  as I say. Instead do as you may..

HSS Revenir: CPU=i7 5960x @4.5GHz Heatsink=Corsair H100i MOBO=ROG Rampage 5 RAM=Kingston HyperX Predator 16GB @3000MHz SSD=Corsair Neutron GTX 480GB GPU=R9 295x2 PSU=Corsair AX1500i OS=Windows 7 Ultimate

I had crossfade LP's for a while and I was happy with those until I got some HD 598's. You might want to look at those, V-Moda makes some pretty good stuff. If you need a microphone, they sell one that plugs into the headphones.

And what abou the HD 558?

"Worth it," to me, means that I am getting what I paid for. If I pay $50+ on a mouse then it better be built well. Many, many reviews state how badly the mouse works after about 6 months of usage. Logitech has never failed me, for example, and I'm not afraid to spend the money on a nice G602 because I know it will last.

Listen, I don't like Razer, no, but I'm willing to admit when hate becomes stupidity. What you're doing is blindly following the "best gaming company ever" - and that is how they make so much money. Most of those people using Deathadders, Razer headsets, Blackwidows, etc in top-tier tournaments are sponsored. Most of the people using WMOs or Zowie mice are not.

And Corsair, Asus, Steel Series, MSI, fuck I can keep going, where they say Pro Gamers, or Professionals use their stuff. It's called Marketing

And also, you hear the vast majority of the time about all the bad shit from various companies. Like how bad AMD processors and Graphics Cards are, or how bad the Asus RMA process is (which isn't, just need patience, I got a new board out of it), or how badly built Razer products are, yet I've dropped my Chroma on the street twice going to a LAN, and it still works, I've had a Deathadder before that since 2011 and it's beaten to shit on the outside.....still works.

So, yea, if you spend your money on something you should expect a quality product, but you as the consumer should know how to shop smart, looking at reviews, taking care of your stuff, and understanding that yea, every now and then you will have defects. And I am speaking out of for Razer because I honestly do not believe I am lucky enough to get a product from them that never breaks with their reputation of having cheap mice.

It's a bunch of negative press, and people always listen to that more than positive or good reviews.

look at his forged review lol.

Yeah I know, but he didn't seem to hate the regular Kraken's

Yeah I know, but he didn't seem to hate the regular Kraken's

look at his cloud review, he was enthusiastic about that one. I think it was because he has a relationship with razer, you can tell he wasn't enthusiastic about them like he was in the clouds video.

Intel Core i7 7770K | 32 GB's Ram 3000MHz | GTX 1080 Ti | 250GB SSD | 3TB 7400 RPM | Sound Blaster Z | ASUS ROG MG278Q | Razer Blackwidow Chroma | Final Mouse 2015 | Blue Yeti | Seinheiser HD 600's | Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro | Aune T1 MK2

look at his cloud review, he was enthusiastic about that one. I think it was because he has a relationship with razer, you can tell he wasn't enthusiastic about them like he was in the clouds video.

True

They are great (at least in my experience). Idk of a ton of headphones under $150 that sound that good. Although many forum members are much more well-informed than I am in that category. @ShearMe and @SSL for starters. 

And Corsair, Asus, Steel Series, MSI, fuck I can keep going, where they say Pro Gamers, or Professionals use their stuff. It's called Marketing

And also, you hear the vast majority of the time about all the bad shit from various companies. Like how bad AMD processors and Graphics Cards are, or how bad the Asus RMA process is (which isn't, just need patience, I got a new board out of it), or how badly built Razer products are, yet I've dropped my Chroma on the street twice going to a LAN, and it still works, I've had a Deathadder before that since 2011 and it's beaten to shit on the outside.....still works.

So, yea, if you spend your money on something you should expect a quality product, but you as the consumer should know how to shop smart, looking at reviews, taking care of your stuff, and understanding that yea, every now and then you will have defects. And I am speaking out of for Razer because I honestly do not believe I am lucky enough to get a product from them that never breaks with their reputation of having cheap mice.

It's a bunch of negative press, and people always listen to that more than positive or good reviews.

Razer build quality is great. The tiamats had some breaking issues, but other than that they were fine. The build quality was never the discussion. 

Again, your old Razer mouse is built better as is most of their older stuff. Look at the scroll wheel system within your Chroma and tell me you still believe that thing is made even halfway decently. "Every-now-and-then" yes, a product breaks, but it seems that Razer's every-now-and-thens are more common. The vast majority of the reviews you read out there have been made within a few days of buying a product. Very few are posted within 6 months of ownership of a product which is the nice, rounded cutoff point for Razer products to start developing problems.

And the Kraken's price tag cannot be justified for the sound quality of them, I'm sorry.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

Razer build quality is great. The tiamats had some breaking issues, but other than that they were fine. The build quality was never the discussion. 

Exactly what he said, they are built nice, have good marketing, amazing packaging but their price to performance is the problem.

If it's the audio quality, well yea, you can more for better audio quality headsets but I never saw the point.

I've never spent more than 120 on my headset with tax, and I don't see a point in doing so when I mostly use it for gaming. If the op wants a ridiculous audio quality solution he's looking at a lot more to spend.

Again, your old Razer mouse is built better as is most of their older stuff. Look at the scroll wheel system within your Chroma and tell me you still believe that thing is made even halfway decently. "Every-now-and-then" yes, a product breaks, but it seems that Razer's every-now-and-thens are more common. The vast majority of the reviews you read out there have been made within a few days of buying a product. Very few are posted within 6 months of ownership of a product which is the nice, rounded cutoff point for Razer products to start developing problems.

And the Kraken's price tag cannot be justified for the sound quality of them, I'm sorry.

As I've said before I've dropped my mouse on solid concrete from about chest level, I'm 5 "11, almost 6 feet tall, and it still works. So, I really don't understand how you can call the quality cheap when this thing still works even if I rage and bang it on the desk or spill a little dr pepper on it. 

And you say vast majority of reviews, well on Amazon and Newegg so far I'm seeing an average of 4-4.5 stars. And if it's within a few days, most of these stores have warranties for the first month, so there is no excuse to take them back and get an exchange if by chance your stuff is DOA. And if you're talking about months after you buy it, as I have said before, I've had my stuff for a long time, my Chroma is about 5-6 months old now, still doing it's job.

So, I am not going to say they are without fault or anything, but I do think Razer gets a lot of hate, and a lot of it just seems to be because it's the popular thing to do. I've never been screwed by Razer so yea, consider me a fan boy if you like.

And as far as price goes, right now, the Deathadder Chroma is about 60 bucks, in line with most stuff in it's category. Same thing with Kraken Chroma, 100 bucks along with the Hyper X and G930

If it's the audio quality, well yea, you can more for better audio quality headsets but I never saw the point.

I've never spent more than 120 on my headset with tax, and I don't see a point in doing so when I mostly use it for gaming. If the op wants a ridiculous audio quality solution he's looking at a lot more to spend.

That's just it... You can get MUCH BETTER AUDIO FOR CHEAPER. I'm not talking about spending beyond $120. You can get better headphones for $60 and a better mic for $20 or $30. Or a better headset for the same price.

It's not that, it's about having your money go farther, having a better price to performance. Sure you can splurge a bunch of money on Razer gear and have mediocre audio quality or you can turn around and get something far better for the same amount of money. More money doesn't always mean better, some products are just simply better for the same price. Such as Clouds or HD 558's with a mic. It's about getting the most for your money.

In my experience the Kraken 7.1 has been a really good headset with a really good quality microphone and the same goes for the sound quality. But i do find that because the headset is noise cancelling and the foam is made of a really good material, having both earcups on can make you feel like your ears are going to pop (this being because the ear cup creates an airtight environment around your ear). Hope this helped.

RPOWELL

I can't say anything one way or the other, haven't used them. I will say that I dislike wireless. I had a few issue with G930s a while back, had to have some dongles replaced, had a microwave interfere with them every day, etc.

Oh right, I tried them in a retail store, they also sound very good. At this point, it depends if you like bass heavy headphones, if not, go for the 558's. An other thing to keep in mind, is that the LP's get unconfortable after 2-3 hours.

CPU : Intel Core i7 3960X, Mobo : X79-UD3, Memory : 4x4GB Vengeance Black Memory 1600MHz, GPU : Asus GTX 970 Strix, Case : Switch 810 Matte Black, Storage : 256GB Samsung 830 SSD, Seagate Barracuda 1TB, PSU : Thermaltake 750W 80+ Bronze, Displays : 3x Asus 1080p Screens, Cooling : Corsair H100i, Keyboard : Logitech G710+, Mouse : Madcat Cyborg R.A.T.7, Sound : Sennheiser HD598, V-Moda Crossfade LP, Logitech Z-5500, HMD : Oculus Rift CV1

Oh right, I tried them in a retail store, they also sound very good. At this point, it depends if you like bass heavy headphones, if not, go for the 558's. An other thing to keep in mind, is that the LP's get unconfortable after 2-3 hours.

Have you had any experience with Corsair headphones/headsets?

It's not that, it's about having your money go farther, having a better price to performance. Sure you can splurge a bunch of money on Razer gear and have mediocre audio quality or you can turn around and get something far better for the same amount of money. More money doesn't always mean better, some products are just simply better for the same price. Such as Clouds or HD 558's with a mic. It's about getting the most for your money.

The Hyper X Cloud you mean? It's the same price as the Kraken Chroma right now, 100 bucks, and the HD 558 is 200 or so.