DirectX 12 Gives A Boost of 330% To Old Hardware

TwistedDictator

Devs are not gonna spend time porting old games to new APIs. 

But can Linus' 72 thread rig and 2 Titan X run minesweeper with DX12? That is, if they decide to port it.

Quote me if you want me to see your message. Like my post if it helped. Click "Show More" to see things that I use.

Desktop (2014): CPU: Intel Core i5 4690k @ 3.50GHz | GPU: MSi GTX 970 Gaming 4G | Motherboard: MSi Z97 Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x4GB G.Skill RipJaws X 1600MHz + 2x4GB HyperX Black 1600MHz | SSD: Samsung 750 Evo 120GB | HDD: WD Black 1TB | Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212x | PSU: Corsair VS650 | Case: Cooler Master Elite 431 Plus | OS: Windows 10 Home

Laptop (2017): Model: Asus UX310U

Peripherals: Monitor: Samsung S24D300 OC@75Hz + Viewsonic XG2401 (144Hz) | Mouse: Logitech G305 | Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Chroma V2 | Headset: HyperX Cloud Core | Speakers: Logitech Z333 | Additional: Logitech G29

Mobiles: Samsung Pixon (2010-2012) | Samsung Galaxy Ace (2012-2013) | Samsung Galaxy S3 (2013-2016) | Samsung Note 4 (2015)(Lost) | Samsung Galaxy S7 (2016-2019) | Samsung Galaxy S10 (2019 - Current) | Additional: ASUS Zenwatch 2 (2016)

Sorry to say this, but that was a stupid decision. Game devs won't make any games compatible with dx12 if they aren't already because they should focus on making new games and just because dx12 can utilize multiple cores better than dx11 it doesn't mean that the games themselves will be more optimized towards a lot of cores.

DX12 and vulkan games will all be better optimized for multiple cores. At least the rendering part. Physics and AI is a question mark and that will depend on the individual game implementations. But the draw calls will be well multithreaded. That's also why AMD CPUs performed well with mantle. Now with dx12 again they definitely will not start beating Intel CPUs in gaming, but they will get a healthy boost and have their lifetimes extended.

Even single threaded interacting with vulkan/dx12 should be way faster then the classic APIs.

Also developers have to spend way less paintime fighting the retarded API limitations/bugs and can put more effort in the rest of the game. Which will be a huge win for the consumer as well.

Calm down kids, this means NOTHING for any game not developed under DX12 exclusively.

Which means Battlefront 3 MIGHT be the first title with such support, I can see BF5 being a DX12 title for sure. But apart from that? It's entirely different for programming. 330% more draw calls doesn't mean anything for old hardware right now and it might never materialize for a few years.

Let's not get too excited...

Too bad most of the games we play now won't get a DX12 patch. Thanks Obama.

Already knew about this. Thing is, how will properly coded games run is the question. Hoping for sensibly better performance.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Thing is this is still a benchmark not a full on game, i expect to see some decent gains once we can see some dx12 in-game tests but nothing near this substantial

CPU: i7 6700k @ 4.6ghz | CASE: Corsair 780T White Edition | MB: Asus Z170 Deluxe | CPU Cooling: EK Predator 360 | GPU: NVIDIA Titan X Pascal w/ EKWB nickel waterblock | PSU: EVGA 850w P2 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 Corsair Domintator Platinum 2800mhz | Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB | OS: Win 10 Pro x64 | Monitor: Acer Predator X34/HTC VIVE Keyboard: CM Storm Trigger-Z | Mouse: Razer Taipan | Sound: Audio Technica ATH-M50x / Klipsch Promedia 2.1 Sound System 

Even if it did, Nvidia and AMD would release a driver to heavily nerf their graphics cards so people keep upgrading

Or release a new gen of GPU so powerful it would render the titanX to the level of a 960...

It's entirely different for programming.

So it would be like the learning curve we noticed when the ps3 came out with its unusual programming, was weird at the beginning but will end up pretty clean over time..?

The R9 290X is supposed to produce as many draw calls as a Titan X in DX12, but it's not more powerful.

Draw calls are not a valid indicator of gaming performance.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

Its possible. Does definitely run better.

It's not the only game I've heard of people getting 20% more performance on Project Cars in Windows 10.

It could be that Windows 10 just handles many effects way better Windows 8.1 gives in some games increased performance Battlefield 4 as an example runs faster on Windows 8.1 compared to 7.

RTX2070OC 

It's not the only game I've heard of people getting 20% more performance on Project Cars in Windows 10.

It could be that Windows 10 just handles many effects way better Windows 8.1 gives in some games increased performance Battlefield 4 as an example runs faster on Windows 8.1 compared to 7.

Thats bazaar, wonder why that is. Maybe the OS gives better access to the hardware through Windows 8/10 optimised drivers?

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

Thats bazaar, wonder why that is. Maybe the OS gives better access to the hardware through Windows 8/10 optimised drivers?

I know that in Windows 8.1 it comes from DX11.1/DX11.2 on Windows 10 it could be that the drivers are coded differently now due to DX12 which effects the game performance even without the game supporting the API.

Maybe we should do some benchmarks and compare the results under Windows 7 vs 8.1 vs 10?

EDIT: Project Cars Windows 10 vs 8.1

RTX2070OC 

The R9 290X is supposed to produce as many draw calls as a Titan X in DX12, but it's not more powerful.

They are, it's just they have to do with CPU performance, but yeah, if you're GPU-bound you won't benefit from the extra draw calls. For example, in GTA V looking at the Trevors house in the desert, I get 50 fps with the 290X, 65 fps with the GTX 970. Both GPUs score the same in GPU-bound benchmarks. But because there's less CPU overhead with the Nvidia's driver, more draw calls can be made which results in higher framerates.

i7 9700K @ 5 GHz, ASUS DUAL RTX 3070 (OC), Gigabyte Z390 Gaming SLI, 2x8 HyperX Predator 3200 MHz

Heyyo,

I have a Q6600 &8600GT system

LOL! Classic! I loved my Intel Core2Quad Q6600. That thing was made of magic and that Core2 series saved intel from the mess of the Pentium 4 and D and ever since then? Intel has been just making CPU amazeballs. :) 

Why is this surprising? Heck why is this even news? We all know DX12 increases draw call limit by an absurd amount. Whether that actually translates to real world performance is a different question.

Also how's that even old hardware?

If that 2700k is overclocked, it'll perform on par with a 4790k...

Too true... people who don't understand draw calls does not equal performance though lol... too funneh.

You mean, other than the reports and benchmarks on Anandtech, PCPer, Techreport, Techspot, TomsHardware, OC3D, Gamernexus, Guru3D?  Definitely not enough tests done, obviously. /s

*SNIP*

LMFAO! Dude... draw calls does NOT equal framerate... It's a given that AMD GPUs are more efficient with computing. Look at Cryptocoin mining. AMD R9 290X spanks the NVIDIA GTX 780ti... but in gaming? The exact opposite story. Compute does NOT equal gaming performance.

They are, it's just they have to do with CPU performance, but yeah, if you're GPU-bound you won't benefit from the extra draw calls. For example, in GTA V looking at the Trevors house in the desert, I get 50 fps with the 290X, 65 fps with the GTX 970. Both GPUs score the same in GPU-bound benchmarks. But because there's less CPU overhead with the Nvidia's driver, more draw calls can be made which results in higher framerates.

Too true, open-world games like GTA V will definitely get yeild better performance gains that closed-off games like Call of Duty but at the same time? There's no guarantees that GTA V will get a DirectX 12 patch unless Rockstar releases some DLC like GTA IV's Episodes From Liberty City. That DLC for PC meant an upgraded Rage engine that was properly optimized unlike the original janky GTA IV release.

There's only a few games that come to mind that got 3D API upgrades post-release. like Battlefield Bad Company 2 with DirectX 11 or Call of Juarez with DirectX 10...

Heyyo,

My PC Build: https://pcpartpicker.com/b/sNPscf

My Android Phone: Exodus Android on my OnePlus One 64bit in Sandstone Black in a Ringke Fusion clear & slim protective case

Devs are not gonna spend time porting old games to new APIs. Still hopefully by this time next year I expect DX12 or Vulkan to be used on all the big AAA game releases.

Depends when they felt comfortable enough about the new APIs to begin developing games for them in earnest - can't have been that many months ago, considering none of them are actually finalized even today. Developing a game takes a while, not least an AAA game.

Graphics cards do not produce any draw calls.

come on, it's a synthetic benchmark... games will NEVER be as well optimized or even close.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I bet at the end of the day,  none of this shit will deliver what's promised.  It's like a presidential run

I know that in Windows 8.1 it comes from DX11.1/DX11.2 on Windows 10 it could be that the drivers are coded differently now due to DX12 which effects the game performance even without the game supporting the API.

Maybe we should do some benchmarks and compare the results under Windows 7 vs 8.1 vs 10?

Wow, thats quite a difference. What black magic is Microsoft using for Windows 10?

EDIT: Just been looking and its something to do with the way Microsoft has made Windows 10 overall. The new kernel and obviously direct x reduces overhead between the GPU and CPU and improves performance even though the game is on DX 11.

System Specs:

That moment when a 2600k is called "old hardware" :(

i LOVE my 2600k   : )))

6600k is just around the corner m8

Seriously tho CPU upgrades are overrated

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

I noticed there was a difference I just didn't notice it was that big 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Wow, thats quite a difference. What black magic is Microsoft using for Windows 10?

May not be that simple. AMD pushed some unique drivers for windows 10 through windows update. It's not available for download on their website. It's possible this driver has some optimizations which are only going to be officially released in this weeks catalyst.... the catalyst 15.5 beta which is supposed to optimize for witcher 3 and project cars. That's the only thing I can thing of anyway...

The strange part is however that there seems to be anecdotal evidence from both Nvidia and AMD users that Windows 10 is faster for games.

:) Not complaining...

May not be that simple. AMD pushed some unique drivers for windows 10 through windows update. It's not available for download on their website. It's possible this driver has some optimizations which are only going to be officially released in this weeks catalyst.... which is supposed to optimize for witcher 3 and project cars. That's the only thing I can thing of anyway...

The strange part is however that there seems to be anecdotal evidence from both Nvidia and AMD users that Windows 10 is faster for games. Not complaining...

Yes I am playing Witcher 3 on my 970 right now and its running so smoothly. Far better than it did on Windows 7 with its constant crashing. Using Windows 10 specific driver 352.84 I think it is.

System Specs: