DirectX 12 Gives A Boost of 330% To Old Hardware

TwistedDictator

LMFAO! Dude... draw calls does NOT equal framerate... It's a given that AMD GPUs are more efficient with computing. Look at Cryptocoin mining. AMD R9 290X spanks the NVIDIA GTX 780ti... but in gaming? The exact opposite story. Compute does NOT equal gaming performance.

When did I mention anything about compute power?  The whole OP is about the DX12 draw call benchmark.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

- snip - 

This is a VERY significant increase in frames ... holly schnitzel! 

I am really tempted to dual boot both OSes and doing a comparison of various titles. Man, I wish I had more time for shit like this. 

does this mean ac unity might function

Only if they re-code the game for DirectX 12.

They were too lazy to code the game properly before, so chances that they would actually go back and do the work over again in a new API seem pretty damn remote.

Only if they re-code the game for DirectX 12.

They were too lazy to code the game properly before, so chances that they would actually go back and do the work over again in a new API seem pretty damn remote.

Tested it a couple hours ago on Windows 10 out of curiosity. Doesn't seem to run any worse or better than it did on Windows 7... I think that game (unfortunately) is screwed.

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

Heyyo,

This is a VERY significant increase in frames ... holly schnitzel! 

I am really tempted to dual boot both OSes and doing a comparison of various titles. Man, I wish I had more time for shit like this.

I'm pretty sure it's an anomaly dude... Windows 10 uses the same kernel as Windows 8.1 or Windows 7... the only differences is WDDM driver support versions, DirectX feature version support (11.0, 11.1, etc) and how optimized the operating system is. So far I haven't noticed any performance differences between Windows 7 SP1 64bit and Windows 10 build 10122 64bit. Then again, no games or performance benchmarks yet for DirectX 12 minus an article on from Andandtech on early test versions... My guess is AMD Mantle's performance will be slightly slower than DirectX 12.

Tested it a couple hours ago on Windows 10 out of curiosity. Doesn't seem to run any worse or better than it did on Windows 7... I think that game (unfortunately) is screwed.

Exactly. Want a prime example of game getting screwed due to updates? Red Faction Guerrilla or Saints Row 2. Anyone remember that shit? The fast-forward bugs? It was unplayable without mods for the longest time until that one company bought the rights to the games and fixed them up and even added DirectX 11 support.

When did I mention anything about compute power?  The whole OP is about the DX12 draw call benchmark.

What do you think Draw Calls are? Why did the CPU compute draw calls if it wasn't 3D rendering? Draw Calls = Computations. :P

If you look at the Andantech benchmarks of star swarm? DirectX 12 is similar to AMD's Mantle...

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8962/the-directx-12-performance-preview-amd-nvidia-star-swarm/5

Then again their D3D11 run seems fucked as the GTX 750ti spanks even the AMD R9 290X and challenges the GTX 680... unless maybe AMD never optimized their D3D11 drivers on Star Swarm I dunno... that point aside? Battlefield 4's benchmarks should offer some relation to the performance improvements of DirectX 12 or Vulkan right? Well, Vulkan will be based on AMD's Mantle so it might also receive another little performance boost on top of current numbers.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nvidia-geforce-gtx-980-970-maxwell,3941-8.html

AMD Mantle is still in beta much like on these Battlefield 4 results so it probably doesn't reflect the true benefits of Vulkan or DirectX 12, but it still gives us an idea what to expect.

Another prime example... my GTX 680 can do more draw calls per second than an AMD R9 290X in that Star Swarm benchmark under D3D11 of 2.2 vs 1.1... so does my NVIDIA GTX 680 do double the framerate of an AMD R9 290X? Fuck no lol. I'm pretty sure my GPUs which are getting old with age get spanked by the AMD R9 290X so that Star Swarm benchmark is odd garbled stuff...

There's also my example compared to the OP's post:

http://www.3dmark.com/aot/25524

I get higher Draw Calls per second than the guy with GTX 670 SLI in with i7-2600k DirectX 11... yet his DirectX 12 is higher than mine? Does that mean his GTX 670 SLI i7-2600k will spank my GTX 680 SLI with i7-3770k @ 4.2GHz? :P

We both ran the same version of 3DMark and probably the same WHQL drivers.

Heyyo,

My PC Build: https://pcpartpicker.com/b/sNPscf

My Android Phone: Exodus Android on my OnePlus One 64bit in Sandstone Black in a Ringke Fusion clear & slim protective case

Well, will see if I can't get another 2 or 3 years from my 465.

My profile pic is the game i'm currently playing. I hope i remember to change it..

What do you think Draw Calls are? Why did the CPU compute draw calls if it wasn't 3D rendering? Draw Calls = Computations. :P

I don't think you understand draw-calls... Draw-calls is when the GPU requests the CPU to process certain information.  Everything a GPU does still has to go through the CPU, and when there is too many "draw-calls" made to the CPU, the CPU cannot process all requests and therefore becomes the major bottleneck.  It has nothing to do with how powerful the GPU is at compute.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

I don't think you understand draw-calls... Draw-calls is when the GPU requests the CPU to process certain information.  Everything a GPU does still has to go through the CPU, and when there is too many "draw-calls" made to the CPU, the CPU cannot process all requests and therefore becomes the major bottleneck.  It has nothing to do with how powerful the GPU is at compute.

You have it backwards. The CPU makes the draw calls to tell the GPU what to... draw. Because GPU performance has scaled up drastically while CPUs are only improving incrementally, developers have had to use the draw calls more efficiently to avoid having the GPU stall waiting for draw calls from an overburdened CPU. That's why Nvidia was already telling developers to batch, batch, batch many years ago, in the Geforce FX days.