7.1 vs brain

mixup

I find it very Important to let you know that Stereo+Brain > 7.1/Dolby atmos

Just grab HEADPHONES (otherwise it can't work) and just listen to it :

Used to Record:

http://3diosound.com/images/homePage/slide1.jpg

Why did the console player cross the road?......To render the building on the other side.

The perfect system is one with no users.

slowpoke_pokemon.gif

Awesome though, i love it! :)

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

yep 7.1 "gaming" headsets are bullshit, I learned the hard way.

Hardware: 4790k @ 4.6 GHz w/ H100i - MSI GTX 970 - Define R5 - MSI Z97 PC Mate - 840 EVO - G.Skill 2x4 GB

Peripherals: G402 - ATH-AD700x - Asus VG248QE 144 hz

I don't hear it that detailed in rl....

24 fps for that "cinematic" feel

After a couple weeks of behavioral sciences at my school I can easily conclude my parents need to grow up.

these things are awesome, a while back one on facebook where you got kidnapped, that one was scary as hell

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

Two ears. 7.1 speakers make sense, headphones not really.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

these things are awesome, a while back one on facebook where you got kidnapped, that one was scary as hell

Yes I know what you mean aweful.

Why did the console player cross the road?......To render the building on the other side.

Yes I know what you mean aweful.

found it!

scary shit guys, listen at your own risk

found it!

scary shit guys, listen at your own risk

This Scared the shit out of me! No Horror Movie before but this.....

This Scared the shit out of me! No Horror Movie before but this.....

yup... i remember why.... that's a sleepless night now...

I did this with the HyperX Cloud 1's and it worked perfectly lol

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

I did this with the HyperX Cloud 1's and it worked perfectly lol

Sure as Long you dont use mono Headphones there should be no problem

Two ears. 7.1 speakers make sense, headphones not really.

that really depends on the signal going to the headphones.  7 speakers have to have the signal specifically attenuated and positioned in a very specific order in order to work, while headphones do not.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Sure as Long you dont use mono Headphones there should be no problem

I just hooked up some Kraken Pros I had around, "With 7.1 Surround sound" and it sounded even worse lol

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe

that really depends on the signal going to the headphones.  7 speakers have to have the signal specifically attenuated and positioned in a very specific order in order to work, while headphones do not.

I know. Headphones surround in stereo just works plain better. Speaker or virtual surround is much harder to make right.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Is there a good example of a game that does this well?

Previously Trogdor8freebird

5800x | Asus x570 Pro Wifi (barely enough for 64GB apparently given it's 2133 and still crashes sometimes) | 64GB DDR4 | 3070 Ti 8GB | Love that whole weeb shit

I just hooked up some Kraken Pros I had around, "With 7.1 Surround sound" and it sounded even worse lol

The 7.1 software propably messed it up

The 7.1 software propably messed it up

Wouldn't doubt it lol, When I get my new PC (Hopefully before the end of the year since Im getting an average $20 or more a week plus B-Day and Christmas Ect Ect) Im gonna have a 6 Speakers. I enjoy them much more when I am home alone and can blast them.

pretty much every game. mostly fps since it matters the most here.

Spoiler

Most FPS games do it pretty good, just set your audio settings to headphones.

Also some racing games do it well, I remember in GRID I could tell if another car was coming from the left or right, pretty sweet with cockpit view.

The stars died for you to be here today.

A locked bathroom in the right place can make all the difference in the world.

Those are called binaural recording. Just search youtube with that keyword, lots of hits.

Here's some examples:

The key is on the microphone recording it. It must be stereo, and each channel must be placed separately. Preferably at average human's head width apart, but can be closer or further, depending on the application.

Once you got a basic grip on how the microphone works, it's easy to replicate, even under $10!! http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/362157-diy-make-a-binaural-mic-system-yourself-image-heavy/

Oh, and that differs from gaming sounds. The different is, gaming sound have HRTF (head related transfer function), while those recordings are just that, recordings. Put it simple, the recordings will ALWAYS sound like that, while gaming sound changes according to our interactions, like moving the mouse around/looking around. That's where the virtual surround comes in. Basically virtual surround applies some algorithms based on the interactions, and alter the sounds accordingly. In-game audio engines are also virtual surround, same principles as those virtual surround dongles, just different algorithms.

I would take 5.1/7.1 speakers over binaural headphones any day of the week, 7.1 headphones (the ones with actual discrete speakers) are a gimmick but simulated surround in a headset isn't that dis-similar to binaural (when done right... as with anything).

It'll be nice when game engines use binaural encoding because it definitely has a slight edge over simulated surround but IMO people get overly excited about it (there's a reason its been around, unused, for many years), it'll be even better when VR and AR HMDs add tracking into the equation but that will benefit headphones in general.

I don't know of a game that has like... a binaural sound engine and I certainly don't play one that does. The sound engines of some games is kindda wonky... in that the sound doesn't really spread out like real life. You'd hear a door opening and only hear it on your left ear and none at all on your right ear and that's just weird. In my limited experience, virtual surround can try to even that out a bit in a way that hopefully makes things sound more like real life.

Listing a binaural recording is not complete evidence than 7.1 headphones are a gimmick.

In Placebo We Trust - Resident Obnoxious Objective Fangirl (R.O.O.F) - Your Eyes Cannot Hear
Haswell Overclocking Guide | Skylake Overclocking GuideCan my amp power my headphones?

It'll be nice when game engines use binaural encoding because it definitely has a slight edge over simulated surround but IMO people get overly excited about it (there's a reason its been around, unused, for many years), it'll be even better when VR and AR HMDs add tracking into the equation but that will benefit headphones in general.

That might be a problem, using binaural recording for game sounds. They must have each and every recording for when you turn your head to the left 5 degrees, 10 degrees, 15 degrees, to the right, tilt up 5 degrees, etc. A simple FPS might have to take tenths of gigabytes for sound data only.