AMD FX9590 Review

tabuburn

Kitguru has posted a review of AMD's 5GHz CPU, the FX-9590.

As far as gaming is concerned, it does pretty well but when it came to CPU intensive applications like 3D Rendering and Media Encoding, even on synthetics, they get beaten by a 4770K at stock speeds. That simulated Cinebench benchmark using the FX-8350 clocked at 5GHz was spot on though.

At the price point this thing is at, the 3930K/3960X/3970X would be a much better choice considering those CPU's dominated pretty much in the testing.

cinebench115.png

Source: http://www.kitguru.net/components/cpu/zardon/amd-fx9590-5ghz-review-w-gigabyte-990fxa-ud5/

Hmmm. interesting. Thanks for the share!

| CPU: INTEL i5 6600k @ 4.6Ghz @ 1.328v | Motherboard: ASUS Z170-AR | Ram: G.SKILL 2x8GB 2400Mhz | CPU Cooler : Corsair H100i V2

| GPU: GIGABYTE GTX980Ti G1 GAMING | SSD: SAMSUNG 840 EVO 250GB  Storage: WD 1TB GREEN | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit | PSU: FSP 650W AURUM S |

<<<<< BLK-Phant0m >>>>>

so its the same as a 8350 overclocked like everyone been saying? neat.

I don't know much about overclocking, so are all of those Intel CPUs at their max clock or are they at small overclocks? I wonder if the 9590 has any more room to overclock.

If only someone would try and oc this thing... Fo real.

Does no one have the balls?

My Rig: AMD FX-8350 @ 4.5 Ghz, Corsair H100i, Gigabyte gtx 770 4gb, 8 gb Patriot Viper 2133 mhz, Corsair C70 (Black), EVGA Supernova 750g Modular PSU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 motherboard, Asus next gen wifi card.

If only someone would try and oc this thing... Fo real.

Does no one have the balls?

Someone give me one and I will :)

Also my FX8120 @ 4.8 is faster then the one in the pic lol

FX8120 @ 5.0GHz | Sabertooth 990FX | Patriot Viper Xtreme 8GB @ 2133MHz | Powercolor HD7950 @ 1300/1800 | Bitfenix Shinobi XL Modded | Corsair AX850 | Mushkin 120GB & Seagate 2TB | Bitfenix Recon | 5X SP120 PE | 6X Yate Loon 120mm HS

Koolance 200 Res | 2X Koolance 360 Rads | Danger Den CPX Pro | EK 7950 Block | Koolance CPU Block | Bitspower & XSPC Fittings

Green Machine

Why don't they have the 8350 up there?

System specs:  CPU: AMD Phenom II x3 705e unlocked to x4 overclocked to 2.8GHz   |   MB: ASUS M5A78L-M LX PLUS   |   Cooler: Hyper 212+   |   GPU: MSI GTX 560ti OC to 910Mhz   |   RAM: 8GB PNY DDR3 1333   |   HDDS: WD Caviar Blue 320GB, Hitachi 500GB HDD   |   PSU: Cooler Master Extreme Power Plus 500W   |   Peripherals: Microsoft wireless mouse, old mac keyboard, ASUS VS238H, Gateway FPD2275W, some speakers, Logitech Driving Force Pro

Some of the benchmarks don't seem to scale much with clockspeed... did excellent in the gaming section; although it's a bit too much to pay for a gaming CPU.

What an absolute joke of a product. I always try to side with AMD as the underdog but at that price... no. $1050 here in Australia, no f*cking thank you.

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

This is a common pay to win product, you pay more and you get a 100% chance of winning the silicone lottery.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

here's the thing that i don't understand why is the price so expensive for that kind of cpu

i mean i don't mind paying 1000$ for intel core i7 3970x extreme cpu but 880$ for this come on COME OOOOONN

Manners Maketh Man

If it does hit retail there is a niche group of extreme overclockers who will be willing to pay for this; because of the guarantee they are getting the very best binned chips.

This can't be right? O.o because an 8350 @ 5 jiggahertz performs better than that?

Console optimisations and how they will effect you | The difference between AMD cores and Intel cores | Memory Bus size and how it effects your VRAM usage |
How much vram do you actually need? | APUs and the future of processing | Projects: SO - here

Intel i7 5820l @ with Corsair H110 | 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 1600Mhz | XFX Radeon R9 290 @ 1.2Ghz | Corsair 600Q | Corsair TX650 | Probably too much corsair but meh should have had a Corsair SSD and RAM | 1.3TB HDD Space | Sennheiser HD598 | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro | Blue Snowball

Would have liked to see how an overclocked 4670K stacks up.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

This can't be right? O.o because an 8350 @ 5 jiggahertz performs better than that?

Actually, it's within the region of what the FX-8350 @ 5GHz performs.

Bit-tech did a benchmark of what a FX-8350 @ 4.8GHz performs. It got a Cinebench score of 8.25 @ 4.8GHz so a 5GHz one would be within in the 8.30-8.35 range just like where the FX-9590 is at.

Haha, what a joke. Why would anyone buy this? You're not even getting the extra performance for the price, all the highly priced Intel chips beat it.

$1000 for this? *facepalm*

Going by Cinebench to determine the performance of an AMD CPU makes no sense what so ever, it's a heavily floating-point reliant benchmark, one area where AMD intentionally cut down from its CPUs because it's far more efficient to have it run on a parallel processor (GPU).

I love how the Core i5-2500K isn't much behind that 5GHz waste of silicon for a quarter of the price (give or take), come on AMD what are you doing.

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

Also why haven't they tried over-clocking it ? that's the area I'm most interested in, I want to know how much over-clocking headroom is left in it.

I can't see them being able to push it further, already at 220w

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

A $115 AMD 970 motherboard can push up to 275W of TDP, so that's definitely not what could be considered a bottleneck.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS/M5A97_EVO/13.html

Fair enough, it would be more of my bottleneck because that is an insane amount of heat to kick out

I remember when those graphs had AMD all at the top and intel struggling to punch half decent numbers.  Back in the days of the Winchester and Newcastle cores. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Going by Cinebench to determine the performance of an AMD CPU makes no sense what so ever, it's a heavily floating-point reliant benchmark, one area where AMD intentionally cut down from its CPUs because it's far more efficient to have it run on a parallel processor (GPU).

Cinebench or not, it's still a joke. $1000 for an 8350 at 5GHz? Hahaha.