AMD FX9590 Review

tabuburn

I don't disagree, but I tend to think of the 9590 as AMD's homage to the Ghz race, rather than an overclocked 8350, it's a symbol more than it is a product.

Fair enough.

I don't disagree, but I tend to think of the 9590 as AMD's homage to the Ghz race, rather than an overclocked 8350, it's a symbol more than it is a product.

It doesn't mean they can charge 1,000 dollars. 1,000 dollars for a "symbol"? Instead of focusing on GHz, they need to focus on improving their IPC and power consumption. They also be putting in better quality thermal sensors, and allow for a higher thermal toleration.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

It doesn't mean they can charge 1,000 dollars. 1,000 dollars for a "symbol"? Instead of focusing on GHz, they need to focus on improving their IPC and power consumption. They also be putting in better quality thermal sensors, and allow for a higher thermal toleration.

A 1000 dollars (it's actually 800$) for a collectors item, a symbol whatever you want to call it isn't unheard of, Titan & the 780, 3970X & the 3930K, but when AMD does it, it's somehow bad ? give me a break.

A 1000 dollars (it's actually 800$) for a collectors item, a symbol whatever you want to call it isn't unheard of, Titan & the 780, 3970X & the 3930K, but when AMD does it's somehow bad ? give me a break.

Here's my response to that: Performance. Those CPUs absolutely crush AMD's "symbol." A stock 4770K beats it. That 5GHz chip has no value at all. Isn't AMD supposed to be about value now? That chip failed. It was bad for Intel before, but now it's really bad for AMD considering there's no price to performance ratio.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

I love how the Core i5-2500K isn't much behind that 5GHz waste of silicon for a quarter of the price (give or take), come on AMD what are you doing.

And the 2500K is already two gens behind! 

I bet these will still sell like hot cakes to all the AMD extreme overclockers. 

CPU: AMD 3950x Mobo: MSI B550 RAM: 32GB DDR4 GPU: Asus 3080 Strix PSU: Superflower Leadex 3 720w Case: BeQuiet 500DX

Storage: 2TB SSD + 4TB HDD Audio: SMSL 793ii -> HiFiman HE-400 + Mission MS-50 Speakers

Here's my response to that: Performance. Those CPUs absolutely crush AMD's "symbol." A stock 4770K beats it. That 5GHz chip has no value at all. Isn't AMD supposed to be about value now? That chip failed. It was bad for Intel before, but now it's really bad for AMD considering there's no price to performance ratio.

Value isn't the point of this CPU at ALL , it's meant to be sold to extreme overclockers to break records, so your argument is absolutely invalid, if you want value get an FX 8320, AMD still provides the BEST value.

Also the FX9590 is NOT a competitor to the 4770K, however the FX 9370 IS priced to go against that 4770K.

They will and I find it pretty annoying how they can charge that amount of money for something that isn't much more than that 2 year old CPU, is it looking more likely that AMD is in trouble?

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

Value isn't the point of this CPU at ALL , it's meant to be sold to extreme overclockers to break records, so your argument is absolutely invalid, if you want value get an FX 8320, AMD still provides the BEST value.

Also the FX9590 is NOT a competitor to the 4770K, however the FX 9370 IS priced to go against that 4770K.

Breaking records with a power hog. The argument that its for breaking records is illogical. And, in regards to your 9370 comment...it performs even worse than the 9590, so it's price to performance ratio is again lower to a 4770K.

I really hope this is just a "limited edition" thing and SR will have similar prices to PD.

FX8320 4.2Ghz@1.280v& 4.5 Ghz Turbo@1.312v Thermalright HR-02/w TY-147 140MM+Arctic Cooling 120MMVRM cooled by AMD Stock Cooler Fan 70MM 0-7200 RPM PWM controlled via SpeedfanGigabyte GA990XA-UD3Gigabyte HD 7970 SOC@R9 280X120GiBee Kingston HyperX 3K2TB Toshiba DT01ACA2001TB WD GreenZalman Z11+Enermax 140MM TB Apollish RED+2X Deepcool 120MM and stock fans running @5VSingle Channel Patriot 8GB (1333MHZ)+Dual Channel 4GB&2GB Kingston NANO Gaming(1600MHZ CL9)=14GB 1,600 Jigahurtz 10-10-9-29 CR1@1.28VSirtec High Power 500WASUS Xonar DG, Logitech F510Sony MDR-XD200Edifier X220 + Edifier 3200A4Tech XL-747H 3600dpiA4Tech X7-200MPdecent membrane keyboardPhilips 236V3LSB 23" 1080p@71Hz .

Sorry for my English....

220W TDP and doesn't perform as well as a 4770k. I see absolutely no reason to buy this processor. 

AMD, what are you doing? :(

Case-NZXT H440 | Motherboard-Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H | RAM-Kingston HyperX Blue 2x8GB 1600MHz | CPU-Intel 3770K @ 4.3GHz at 1.215v | Heatsink-Coolermaster Hyper212 Evo | GPU-EVGA GTX660 SC | SSD-MX200 250GB | HDD-Seagate Barracuda 3TB | PSU-EVGA GS650

Mouse-Logitech G600 | Keyboard-Ducky Shine 3 MX Blue. white backlight | Headphones-Audiotechnica ATH-M50s. Beyerdynamic DT990

Here's an idea AMD, Why don't you put all of that money that you've been getting from Sony and Microsoft and MAKE A CPU THAT CAN FUCKING COMPETE.

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

Here's an idea AMD, Why don't you put all of that money that you've been getting from Sony and Microsoft and MAKE A CPU THAT CAN FUCKING COMPETE.

I'm trying not to piss off the AMD fanboys but AGREED, I miss the Phenom days :(

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

Nvidia did it lmao

Console optimisations and how they will effect you | The difference between AMD cores and Intel cores | Memory Bus size and how it effects your VRAM usage |
How much vram do you actually need? | APUs and the future of processing | Projects: SO - here

Intel i7 5820l @ with Corsair H110 | 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 1600Mhz | XFX Radeon R9 290 @ 1.2Ghz | Corsair 600Q | Corsair TX650 | Probably too much corsair but meh should have had a Corsair SSD and RAM | 1.3TB HDD Space | Sennheiser HD598 | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro | Blue Snowball

At least the 2500K performs well. I bet they won't sell like anything. They're just binned higher that's all. AMD is at least 3 gens behind Intel!

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

Nvidia did it lmao

Except it had the performance to back up the price. Sure it was not worth $1000, but at least the performance was there.

CPU: AMD 3950x Mobo: MSI B550 RAM: 32GB DDR4 GPU: Asus 3080 Strix PSU: Superflower Leadex 3 720w Case: BeQuiet 500DX

Storage: 2TB SSD + 4TB HDD Audio: SMSL 793ii -> HiFiman HE-400 + Mission MS-50 Speakers

I can't wait to see what kind of people actually put $1,000 into this instead of the Core i7-3930K or other Intel's, might be worth a giggle or two.

I don't understand how AMD can be neck and neck with NVIDIA in the graphics department but so far behind Intel in the Processing department. 

Hail Sithis!

I can't wait to see what kind of people actually put $1,000 into this instead of the Core i7-3930K or other Intel's, might be worth a giggle or two.

Someone with more money than brains. Or someone looking to make their room toasty in the winter time. Shit this thing is gonna kick out some heat. 

Hail Sithis!

If AMD don't get a grip soon I can't see how they'll stay in the CPU market in the medium to long term by making shit like that, in my opinion it isn't the way to fight.

Someone with more money than brains. Or someone looking to make their room toasty in the winter time. Shit this thing is gonna kick out some heat. 

That's before overclocking lol, looking at the chart I think I'll put a quarter of that price down on a Core i5-2500K and get most of the performance of that 5Ghz waste of time.

EDIT: Just been thinking, get a decent cooler and OC the 2500K to 4.8/5.0GHz (being Sandy Bridge, it should take it) and I wonder how it'll fair against that.

That's before overclocking lol, looking at the chart I think I'll put a quarter of that price down on a Core i5-2500K and get most of the performance of that 5Ghz waste of time.

2500k's have been known to go up to 5.5+

so it kicks the shit out of this piece of garbage.

Hail Sithis!

2500k's have been known to go up to 5.5+

so it kicks the shit out of this piece of garbage.

5.5GHz without any liquid nitrogen or anything?

EDIT: LINUS, if you see this thread, for shits and giggles, one of those AMD FX-9590 and an OC'ed Core i5-2500K clocked to the same and see what the difference is :)

5.5GHz without any liquid nitrogen or anything?

EDIT: LINUS, if you see this thread, for shits and giggles, one of those AMD FX-9590 and an OC'ed Core i5-2500K clocked to the same and see what the difference is :)

5.5 liquid cooled, some even do it air cooled. 2500k is still a serious beast. 

Hail Sithis!

5.5 liquid cooled, some even do it air cooled. 2500k is still a serious beast. 

I still think Sandy Bridge was the last great Intel unless they get their act together and solder Haswell instead of that shit excuse for thermal paste