R9 290 with Corsair CX600M

Eyesthetics

Between the Corsair RM650 and Seasonic x650, I would go with the Seasonic. I wouldn't consider anything less than an HX series for Corsair in my gaming rig, so I can't recommend it.

With that said, the RM is a brick and mortar store product. You will have little problem finding it at a local store like Fry's or Microcenter. Probably not at Best Buy though.

Is there a reason you're not looking into a 700w or 750w unit? Just curious.

Also, I just checked newegg.com for the 290's specs. Multiple manufacturers recommend a minimum 750w power supply for a single 290 card. It's quite conservative, but it's something to consider.

Just because others have good luck running an overclocked cpu and a 290 with a CX600 doesn't mean that you're going to also. Sample variation is a hard card to be dealt. I'm sure it's one reason why manufacturers recommend higher capacity psu.

Between the Corsair RM650 and Seasonic x650, I would go with the Seasonic. I wouldn't consider anything less than an HX series for Corsair in my gaming rig, so I can't recommend it.

With that said, the RM is a brick and mortar store product. You will have little problem finding it at a local store like Fry's or Microcenter. Probably not at Best Buy though.

Is there a reason you're not looking into a 700w or 750w unit? Just curious.

Ok then, think I'll go with the seasonic if the problem still persists even after RMA.

Well, 750watt is a lot for a single card. It's really overkill, waste of $$

Ok then, think I'll go with the seasonic if the problem still persists even after RMA.

Well, 750watt is a lot for a single card. It's really overkill, waste of $$

Having a little overhead is not a bad thing. It's like extra gas in your tank. A few extra dollars in the bank. You only use it when you need it.

Having a little overhead is not a bad thing. It's like extra gas in your tank. A few extra dollars in the bank. You only use it when you need it.

Can it be the graphics card that's causing trouble instead of the psu? It doesn't have artifacts though.

Can it be the graphics card that's causing trouble instead of the psu? It doesn't have artifacts though.

GPU troubles most often cause crashes to desktop or BSOD. They don't normally turn off your system.

Your system is suddenly shutting down, right?

Why do i always get ignored

Because this isn't text messaging. We do other stuff than sit on LTT forums all day lol

Your solution is pretty simple. You need a higher output power supply. You can RMA your current CX600, but there isn't anything actually wrong with it.

Yes tried re-plugging them like 5 times already, each time this occurs I gotta reconnect the pcie cables for the gpu to work again otherwise when i turn on the pc the graphics card doesn't seem to be turning on, the fan doesn't even spin and the pcb doesn't get warm at all

Maybe something is shorting the card or board. Maybe you have a bad PCIE power cable.

I'm using a 650w PSU with my 290x overclocked to 1180mhz@+100mv without any problem. 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

GPU troubles most often cause crashes to desktop or BSOD. They don't normally turn off your system.

Your system is suddenly shutting down, right?

Only my exhaust fan and gpu turn itself off, my h100i led still turned on..my pc is still on.

With the oc off it takes around an hour or so before the screen suddenly turned black and showed the dreaded "no signal detected" text and my gpu fan stopped spinning as well as the exhaust fan, but my cpu cooler is still working. So no not the whole system shuts itself down

Except one time when i was playing fc4 the screen suddenly turned black without the "no signal detected" text and it made some "HNGGGGGGGG" noise from the speaker idk how to explain it, the graphics card fan stopped spinning. I reseted my pc, replugged the pcie cables and it worked just fine until another hour or so

If i was to reset the pc without reconnecting the pcie cables, the graphics card isn't even turned on like it's not receiving any power at all, i can tell because the pcb area right above the die is cold to the touch, it's usually a tad warm. Only after i replug the pcie cable will the graphics card work normally. So weird... But no, there aren't any signs of artifacts, bsod and whatnot...

600W should be way enough.

There is something else wrong here, it might be a bad psu.

Or a short cirquit somewhere in the system.

I'm so afraid that i might have killed my card

There is something else wrong here, it might be a bad psu.

Or a short cirquit somewhere in the system.

I bought my psu in late October, been working just fine on my old 660 ti with pentium g3258 before i upgraded to an i5 4690k, my friend's 970 also works just fine with my i5 overclocked.

I bought my psu in late October, been working just fine on my old 660 ti with pentium g3258 before i upgraded to an i5 4690k, my friend's 970 also works just fine with my i5 overclocked.

Then it might be a bad card.

RMA the gpu then.

Then it might be a bad card.

RMA the gpu then.

But it worked just fine for 2 days before it started this...

Also the 970 uses what, 50% less power than the 290..also i don't think a graphics card can cause a case fan to stop spinning. The 290 can consume as much as 400 watt under load

Not enough amp on the 12V rail?

Gonna try rma'ng my psu, if the problem persists gonna get a seasonic x650, if it's still doing that then it is certainly the gpu..

Damn i wish i had a spare psu to test

R9 290 max power draw is 437watt

My cpu is 150 watt

Also the 970 uses what, 50% less power than the 290..also i don't think a graphics card can cause a case fan to stop spinning.

Gonna try rma'ng my psu, if the problem persists gonna get a seasonic x650, if it's still doing that then it is certainly the gpu..

Well depends on what GTX970 you talk about, but a GTX970 can roughly take upto 180W / 200W

a R9-290 with 8+6 pin is a 250W card, so the diffrence isnt that big.

If the fan on the card stops spinning, then i assume there is something wrong with that.

Cards runs hot without cooling, and shuts off sounds logic.

Your CPU is taking at least 200w to drive with that clock. Your card takes around 300w give or take. That leaves ~100w for everything else not to mention he card could take a bit more away from that. No wonder it doesn't work your running it to the max.

Z77A-G43 LGA 1155, Intel I5 3450s, Radeon R9 290 (non-X), Cooler Master V750 Gold (750W) PSU, 2x4GB Ripjaws X 1866 MHz, 1x4 Crucial 1866 MHz, Samsung 840 Evo 500GB, Thor V2 Full-tower Case, Acer 1920x1080 Monitor

Your CPU is taking at least 200w to drive with that clock. Your card takes around 300w give or take. That leaves ~100w for everything else not to mention he card could take a bit more away from that. No wonder it doesn't work your running it to the max.

THANK YOU!

i would call that totaly nonsense.

Watch the video below. :)

There is obviously something else wrong with his sytem.

If a GTX970 works totaly fine, then i can only think of a faulty GPU.

Also the 970 uses what, 50% less power than the 290..also i don't think a graphics card can cause a case fan to stop spinning. The 290 can consume as much as 400 watt under load

R9 290 max power draw is 437watt

My cpu is 150 watt

Nope, 970 use under 40% less power compare to 290. R9-290 400watts peaked load don't even last a second(that's where you need a good quality PSU), average when gaming the 290 only draw around 220w.

Your PSU 46A +12v rail is definitely enough. 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

I Have the R9 290x and when I tried to start up my pc today My mointer said no signal, could this be because my psu is not powerfull enough.

I Have the R9 290x and when I tried to start up my pc today My mointer said no signal, could this be because my psu is not powerfull enough.

It's a 600w PSU, the 290x is a 300w card, the CPU would be ~100-120 (just a guess) so there must be close to 200w left for everything else, there should easily be enough power. I'm guessing it's a PSU problem tbh. That or the rail is just taking a dump.

Just got my replacement unit... Problem solved for now..