Poor RAM management from Lollipop affecting the Galaxy S6 and S6 edge - Other devices as well?

I didn't make that title. The source did. I'm not responsible for the sensationalist titles of my source articles. 

I did more reading on my own, updated thing accordingly. Something the source hasn't done. so really, I'm a better reporter than the source because I'm updating as more information is being made available. 

touche. ah well. internets and all. no biggie really. its all coll just wanted to support the otehr guy cause the title IS sensationalist so. he wasn;t completely wrong even tho you didn;lt write it out

Sounds like Samsung modified the kernel to kill apps quicker, I'd wager its a deliberate act and not a bug.

Thats pretty common on a multi process kernel.

You have a priority queue and some idle tasks sometimes are killed or placed on a queue with less priority to give space for more prioritized tasks.

Like it has been said apple has  probably a more to the metal approach on their IOS.

I still think that saying 1 GB = 3 GB because optimizations is very naive and far fetched and probably not the only thing in play here.

I actually studied multi process kernels in college and scheduling algorithms.

Also iOS uses a variant of C which is much more low level than java which is used in android , could also be a factor.

Android has memory management problems? I am shocked I tell you, absolutely shocked to my core.

/s

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

its samsung . in this video in the second round m9 has everything running in the backround while s6 restarts every app. same ram capacity on both

however it is the fastest at launching apps.maybe an update will do something about it

The issue is still present on the M9, it is just affects the Samsung devices more than the One. People are reporting the same issue with the Note 4.

running lollipop on my N7 2013 made multitasking impossible. Once I left an app, it would crash when I went back to it. I could have maybe 3 tabs open at once without them having to refresh when I switched between them, faptime was impossible ;-;

Switched back to 4.4.2 and don't have any issues now

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

Wasn't that fixed, along with a slew of other bugs in the 5.1 release? I am fine with 5.1 on my Z2 :)  #CyanogenModMasterRace

MacBook Pro 15' 2018 (Pretty much the only system I use)

I mean look at the recent post, S6 3GB has issues with multi tasking or keeping apps in background, iPhone 6, I have one myself, handles it like a charm

Apple does have a lot more experience with OS than Google don't forget. And since the range of iOS devices have a very specific set of specifications its quite easy for Apple to optimize iOS for 1GB RAM (tbh, if you can get a PC linux distro that's fully fledged, less than 50MB in size and uses less than 100MB RAM, Google has no excuse for the way Android runs. 256MB RAM usage+ poor management of what's left. And a lot of the storage space is taken up by the OS).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Didn't notice any problems on my G2 with 5.0.2, except that RAM usage is slightly higher than 4.4.2, but still have plenty left. The only app crashing since the update is facebook... but it's facebook so yeah, nothing new there.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

Lollipop turned my M8 into a useless turd. It's slow and built in apps crash almost every time I use them.

I have to wait 10 seconds between when messaging opens to when I can start typing. And even then, if I type too fast it crashes.

Combine that with several other small bugs including some serious ones for calling and picking up the phone when someone calls...

So I'm going back to Apple.

Turnip OC'd to 3Hz on air

Looking at what people are saying, I should try Lollipop on my tablet with 1GB RAM.

PMSL

Haven't had this problem on stock Nexus 7 2013 so I kinda doubt it's all Lollipop.

same my nexus 5 seems to be running fine

Its all about those volumetric clouds

same my nexus 5 seems to be running fine

My M8 and the Nexus 5 of 2 friends and the M8 of one friend are all running Lollipop and doing fine. Asked. 

Strange.

i think it might be a touchwiz problem because when my note 4 was on touchwiz android 4.4.4 it will use 2.2GB of ram consistently even when i have barely anything open but after i flashed cyanogenmod 12 android 5.0.2 it never used more than 1.7GB even when i had basically all my 36 apps open

Reading this thread is making me consider keeping around my Nokia phone in case things don't go so well with Android.

I can confirm terrible ram management from Lollipop, 1.8gb's accross the board.

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

I can confirm terrible ram management from Lollipop, 1.8gb's accross the board.

Really? 4.1/4.2/4.4 are no where near as bad.

PMSL

Really? 4.1/4.2/4.4 are no where near as bad.

1.0gb with no apps open. then ramps up with stuff open.

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

1.0gb with no apps open. then ramps up with stuff open.

:blink: That's how much Win 7 64bit uses when idle on my overclocking rig!!!

PMSL

Yeah lollipop has been a really shitty update to Android, it adds some cool stuff, i like the battery saving feature a lot, but at the same time is a mess of a OS, so buggy, i swear, ill switch to a windows phone when my G is due for a replacement if ms manages to improve the app situation and google doesn't get its shit together an optimizes android properly, if ms can make their os run like a charm on 512MB devices i don't understand how Google can't

Since im rambling a bit about android, i would like to know how thought it was a good idea to use a java interpreter (or however is supposed to be called) instead of using machine native code like C++ or even better make their own version of C#, and call it android C or something like that, so much better that make something that all it does is eat system resources just to use a less complicated language that was designed to run on a virtual machine

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

Yeah lollipop has been a really shitty update to Android, it adds some cool stuff, i like the battery saving feature a lot, but at the same time is a mess of a OS, so buggy, i swear, ill switch to a windows phone when my G is due for a replacement if ms manages to improve the app situation and google doesn't get its shit together an optimizes android proprelly, if ms can make their os run like a charm on 512MB devices i don't understand how Google can't

Since im rambling a bit about android, i would like to know how thought it was a good idea to use a java interpreter (or however is supposed to be called) instead of using machine native code like C++ or even better make their own version of C#, and call it android C or something like that, so much better that make something that all it does is eat system resources just to use a less complicated language that was designed to run on a virtual machine

Easy portability and low entry difficulty for independent developers who want to make Android apps would be my guess.

Turnip OC'd to 3Hz on air

I love how everybody is doomsaying again.

It will probably be fixed if brought to attention of Google. In fact, a user here said it might have been fixed already.

Also it doesn't seem to affect everyone. A lot of people are doing fine with Lollipop, but I guess the loudest screamers get noticed more.

Calm your tits.

its time for android to do some cleaning imo. Adding more RAM has covered a large problem, but we are getting to the point where we cannot add more RAM to cover up the issues anymore. Time to clean up some code and/or rework the OS entirely to be more efficient with RAM usage

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

its time for android to do some cleaning imo. Adding more RAM has covered a large problem, but we are getting to the point where we cannot add more RAM to cover up the issues anymore. Time to clean up some code and/or rework the OS entirely to be more efficient with RAM usage

I should really put up a SS of the RAM usage on another Linux distro-Android really gets put to shame in the weight department. Especially when running on a sub 1GHz single core x86 CPU.

PMSL

I should really put up a SS of the RAM usage on another Linux distro-Android really gets put to shame in the weight department. Especially when running on a sub 1GHz single core x86 CPU.

D8661r7.jpg

This is with 4 apps open, Clock, a Chrome Tab, WhatsApp and Multimonitor (the app which I monitored it with in the screenshot)

It could be lower but it isn't so bad.