Poor RAM management from Lollipop affecting the Galaxy S6 and S6 edge - Other devices as well?

D8661r7.jpg

This is with 4 apps open, Clock, a Chrome Tab, WhatsApp and Multimonitor (the app which I monitored it with in the screenshot)

It could be lower but it isn't so bad.

On my ASUS A3H- 168MB idle (Xubuntu). On my legacy rig with Lubuntu, just over 100MB RAM usage (Lubuntu).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

On my ASUS A3H- 168MB idle (Xubuntu). On my legacy rig with Lubuntu, just over 100MB RAM usage (Lubuntu).

idle huh.... Let me try idle. I hope you mean with no apps open. :P

idle huh.... Let me try idle. I hope you mean with no apps open. :P

Yep, and its still sub 500MB with several tabs open on firefox (I just killed the wireless drivers however, so I can't post a SS just yet-the pain of old hardware)

PMSL

rCyDTBk.jpg

Y u do this to me Android :(

It is using more with less apps open and 36% with more apps open? Ehh

Could be Android, could be the monitor. Anyway, I myself haven't experienced problems. Nor have my friends who all run it.

Not sure If it matters when it isn't inhibiting performance but oh well.

Suck on this Google (tethered over my tablet-screw wifi adapters):

post-155575-0-08053100-1430277484_thumb.

PMSL

Yeah that's certainly good. :P

On that note, my tablet with 4.4-on idle and runing the tether-uses 738MB with 236MB free. (and certain games such as angrybirds transformers crash randomly)

PMSL

Lollipop is full of massive memory leaks. We've had to plug them ourselves before building AOSP ROMs.

On that note, my tablet with 4.4-on idle and runing the tether-uses 738MB with 236MB free. (and certain games such as angrybirds transformers crash randomly)

So it is not isolated to Lollipop. Interesting.

(or perhaps It is an isolated incident with your tablet, I can't tell of course)

But I need to go now, sleep and all that + Victorious doesn't like me. :P

Lollipop is full of massive memory leaks. We've had to plug them ourselves before building AOSP ROMs.

So I'd need to fix it if I updated my tablet?

PMSL

So I'd need to fix it if I updated my tablet?

If you experience the issue then you would need to find a fix. There are a few around that are actually open source from the XDA forum such as this Xposed module. Android 5.1.1 is suppose to fix this issue once it rolls out to devices.

If you experience the issue then you would need to find a fix. There are a few around that are actually open source from the XDA forum such as this Xposed module. Android 5.1.0 is suppose to fix this issue once it rolls out to devices.

I'll just wait and see then-though it would never hurt me to learn a bit more about Android while fixing 5.0

PMSL

Did the samsung galaxy S5 had the same problem?

Or is it just a recend android OS issue?

Unless it did the OT is just sensationalizing the issue to make android phones look bad.

I own a Nexus 5, can confirm memory issues with Android Lollipop. This isn't a Galaxy S6 exclusive, the Nexus devices were having problems before the release of the S6.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

I own a Nexus 5, can confirm memory issues with Android Lollipop. This isn't a Galaxy S6 exclusive, the Nexus devices were having problems before the release of the S6.

Well, as a Nexus owner, you're pretty much the free beta testers for Google. So, you and every Nexus owner should report issues to Google so that your own people won't experience it once it rolls out to all the other devices. Google isn't going to read up the issue on LTT.

People still will refuse to believe that iPhones are using their 1GB very good ^^

Hey i only got 128MB RAM on my iPhone 3G......it lags all the time(somewhat), probably my fault for Jailbreaking it and adding some features that take up RAM. 

And here I am with my old WP with its lowly 1GB ram still rocking fine. Even my fairly new Lenovo android tablet (4.4.2) with 2GB ram can't operate smooth enough without the intermittent sluggishness/lag feeling. It uses close to 1GB ram at idle with no apps open. Need to clear the memory every now and then or some apps will just crash while running it. By the look of it its going to take a while before I'll be getting Lollipop upgrade from the manufacturer.

Android 5.1.0 is suppose to fix this issue once it rolls out to devices.

The bugtracker says it's fixed in 5.1.1

But 5.1 seems to work better too. My tablet uses now up to 95% of its ram while the ram usage of android itself increases very slowly.

Linus's review of the Galaxy S6 Edge (on Vessel) makes me interested in upgrading from my S4. But if Lollipop has this much problems with memory leaks I don't know....

Hey i only got 128MB RAM on my iPhone 3G......it lags all the time(somewhat), probably my fault for Jailbreaking it and adding some features that take up RAM. 

Or because the iPhone 3G is so old that those new kids don't even know it

CPU: Xeon 1230v3 - GPU: GTX 770  - SSD: 120GB 840 Evo - HDD: WD Blue 1TB - RAM: Ballistix 8GB - Case: CM N400 - PSU: CX 600M - Cooling: Cooler Master 212 Evo

Update Plans: Mini ITX this bitch

Or because the iPhone 3G is so old that those new kids don't even know it

Yep, funny this. I prefer iOS 5 and below. iOS 6 is trash, don't like the new interface on iOS 7 and up.

Yep, funny this. I prefer iOS 5 and below. iOS 6 is trash, don't like the new interface on iOS 7 and up.

Yeah, before I got the iPhone 6 I made the mistake to upgrade to iOS 7 with my iPhone 4, damn it was slow as hell, but for the form factor I still prefer the 4. It is just so easy to hold and use.

CPU: Xeon 1230v3 - GPU: GTX 770  - SSD: 120GB 840 Evo - HDD: WD Blue 1TB - RAM: Ballistix 8GB - Case: CM N400 - PSU: CX 600M - Cooling: Cooler Master 212 Evo

Update Plans: Mini ITX this bitch

Yeah, before I got the iPhone 6 I made the mistake to upgrade to iOS 7 with my iPhone 4, damn it was slow as hell, but for the form factor I still prefer the 4. It is just so easy to hold and use.

Yeah, and I was used to using iOS 5 on a iPod Touch 4G.

And I can't use WiFi on my 4S because of software problems, it worked on iOS 5 but not on 6 and up :/

Not occurring on my M7... Just messages app crashing very frequently.

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

Isn't this like really old news?

Actually yes