NASA's Accidental Warp Field

Fusion reactors, warp fields, telomeric manipulation, fiber internet--man. This is a good time to live in. Let's get the Mass Effect relays operational and start colonizing the universe. China can keep Earth. They earned it.

knowing china they most likely be the ones to be more aggressive into colonization, i mean they are close to getting into conflict with japan and therefore the US for a small piece of land between the two

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

Oooh, amazing! Too bad I won't live long enough to see any real benefits from this discovery. Unless our people dig up an ancient alien city on the moon that harbors advanced technology...

Soon ill be moving to another planet im sick of earth's people,ill go live with the aliens.

♫Fuck Earth, I want to live on Mars so I'm closer to the stars

And farther away from dumb civilization with no mental stimulation♫

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

Worth noting this is VERY skeptical and still needs a LOT of more experimenting and validating before this can be considered a major discovery, there are a lot of things that could be skewing the data that aren't warp fields

- i7-2600k @ 4.7GHz - MSI 1070 8GB Gaming X - ASUS Maximus V Formula AC3 Edition - 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws @ 1600Mhz - Corsair RM1000 - 1TB 7200RPM Seagate HDD + 2TB 7200 HDD + 2x240GB M500 RAID 0 - Corsair 750D - Samsung PX2370 & ASUS ROG SWIFT -

"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not 'Eureka!' but 'That's funny..."  - Isaac Asimov

I wish that story was the same for our school experiments

(example's)

'That's funny it burns'-teacher charges in-

'That's funny, this bacteria shouldn't be able to live on this plate'-teacher charges in-

'that's funny these two acids react with each other'-teacher charges in-

well... you get the point.

but go team science!

With a warp drive, our bodies dont have to be able to handle it as it's standing still, space is what's moving around. At least that's my understanding

that is the thing i can't grasp/understand, that space somehow is able to be moved while we basicly stand still, while being stuck inside it. it makes my head go "whuuutt" and then kinda BSD for a few mins before working again.

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

I wish that story was the same for our school experiments

(example's)

'That's funny it burns'-teacher charges in-

'That's funny, this bacteria shouldn't be able to live on this plate'-teacher charges in-

'that's funny these two acids react with each other'-teacher charges in-

well... you get the point.

but go team science!

that is the thing i can't grasp/understand, that space somehow is able to be moved while we basicly stand still, while being stuck inside it. it makes my head go "whuuutt" and then kinda BSD for a few mins before working again.

It's quite simple to understand it if you think about it. Think of three slices of cake, the first one is [                                          ] the second is [     |     ] (this is where your ship is, and the third one is []

so..

[                                                             ][   |   ]{}

The first piece is stretched out, the second is "normal" and it's where you are.. that's the uncompressed or unaltered piece of space where you're able to reside, and the piece in front is the compressed piece to make it so you travel faster. Like taking the east coast and slamming it into the west coast so that a trip across the middle is faster? :P

Heaven's Society - Like Anime? Check us Out Here!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's quite simple to understand it if you think about it. Think of three slices of cake, the first one is [                                          ] the second is [     |     ] (this is where your ship is, and the third one is []

so..

[                                                             ][   |   ]{}

The first piece is stretched out, the second is "normal" and it's where you are.. that's the uncompressed or unaltered piece of space where you're able to reside, and the piece in front is the compressed piece to make it so you travel faster. Like taking the east coast and slamming it into the west coast so that a trip across the middle is faster? :P

yeah i get that piece, but somehow i can't wrap my mind around the fact that it is able to help us move, while we(the ship) bisaclly don't move and space outside outside the bubble gets compressed and stretched around it without ripping a new black (ass)hole or cuasing some other trouble, somewhere my mind cant comprehend it, guess it's the limit of my brain or I just didnt watch enough docu's/programs about it to understand it properlly.

The speed thing is a non issue because inside the warp bubble the 'ship' is essentially not moving the space is moving around it

one step closer to futurama being reality

Abigail: Intel Core i7-4790k @ 4.5GHz 1.170v / EVGA Nvidia GeForce GTX 980 Ti Classified  / ASRock Z97 Extreme6 / Corsair H110i GT / 4x4Gb G.Skill Ares 1866MHz @ CAS9 / Samsung 840 EVO 250Gb SSD / Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200RPM / NZXT H440 Blue / EVGA SuperNOVA 750w G2

Peripherals: BenQ XL2411z 24" 144hz 1080p / ASUS VG248QE 24" 144Hz 1080p / Corsair Vengeance K70 RGB / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD650 / Schiit Audio Modi 2 / Magni 2 / Blue Yeti Blackout

yeah i get that piece, but somehow i can't wrap my mind around the fact that it is able to help us move, while we(the ship) bisaclly don't move and space outside outside the bubble gets compressed and stretched around it without ripping a new black (ass)hole or cuasing some other trouble, somewhere my mind cant comprehend it, guess it's the limit of my brain or I just didnt watch enough docu's/programs about it to understand it properlly.

Well if you think about the fact that space is expanding itself constantly (stretching outward) than think of it as a malleable substance like puddy, makes it a lot easier to understand our ability to control its expansion and contraction on a localized level.

Heaven's Society - Like Anime? Check us Out Here!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well if you think about the fact that space is expanding itself constantly (stretching outward) than think of it as a malleable substance like puddy, makes it a lot easier to understand our ability to control its expansion and contraction on a localized level.

weird enough that helps quite alot.

thanks!

How we will be able to actually travel in a vehicle that goes this fast? will we vomit? will we even be able to perceive we are moving?

P.S I know nothing about this stuff.

ohh man, if this is true, IF NASA created a warp field by accident it shows yet again that the greatest discoveries are closley related to accidents or just side effects.

more serious:

with the ability to travel faster then the speed of light, i guess we should be sure of the fact that our bodies and tech are able to handle it because admit it, FTL seems like a very nice and interesting thing to have, but since our bodies already got trouble with 0 gravity or the force's on our bodies what are included with reaching the 0 gravity point(outer/outside athmosphere) and imagine what would happen with all atoms, molecule's and their bonds when basicly fired away FTL i truelly doubt that we are able to make use of FTL travel without negative effects on our bodies.

So FTL travel might be a way to discover the galaxy/universe with robots and drone's alike, but when it comes to going there ourselves there will be a major problem, unless ofcourse there comes a solution to that(cryo sleep?) so until that point i doubt humanity will be able to leave the solarsystem and explore the galaxy.

All I have to say is this. Relativity

- snip-

people who listen to justin beiber

I dunno why, but this part really stands out to me.

Anyway, if this is real, it's AWESOME! :D

Why is the God of Hyperdeath SO...DARN...CUTE!?

Also, if anyone has their mind corrupted by an anthropomorphic black latex bat, please let me know. I would like to join you.

How we will be able to actually travel in a vehicle that goes this fast? will we vomit? will we even be able to perceive we are moving?

P.S I know nothing about this stuff.

The short answer is this: If the drive works the way they theorize, then no, passengers inside the bubble will not be able to perceive any movement, at least no inertia, acceleration or deceleration, changes of velocity, etc. Because, as far as "physics" is concerned, everything inside the bubble is stationary.

We'll see if that actually turns out to be the reality though.

Others have theorized that the drive does not propel the occupants solely through compression of space. This alternate idea states that it compresses space, and then you also use a more conventional propulsion mechanism. The combination of the two mean that you're physically traveling less distance, because the space in front of you is compressed, and therefore a "shorter" distance. Depending on how big the compression of space is, and your relative velocity, you could easily pass the "speed of light" from outside perspective.

As it is, we don't even know the limitations - if there are any - if this type of technology. Perhaps there is some "hard" limit on how much space can be compressed, which may in turn place a hard limit on how fast you can go. Or perhaps not.

In any case, more study is definitely needed. This experiment needs to be performed in a vacuum ASAP, and more investigation needs to be done. If this is real, then this will change the face of science.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Excellent Job writing the article.

1. GLaDOS: i5 6600 EVGA GTX 1070 FE EVGA Z170 Stinger Cooler Master GeminS524 V2 With LTT Noctua NFF12 Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB 3200 MHz Corsair SF450 850 EVO 500 Gb CableMod Widebeam White LED 60cm 2x Asus VN248H-P, Dell 12" G502 Proteus Core Logitech G610 Orion Cherry Brown Logitech Z506 Sennheiser HD 518 MSX
  2. Lenovo Z40 i5-4200U GT 820M 6 GB RAM 840 EVO 120 GB
  3. Moto X4 G.Skill 32 GB Micro SD Spigen Case Project Fi

Others have theorized that the drive does not propel the occupants solely through compression of space. This alternate idea states that it compresses space, and then you also use a more conventional propulsion mechanism. The combination of the two mean that you're physically traveling less distance, because the space in front of you is compressed, and therefore a "shorter" distance. Depending on how big the compression of space is, and your relative velocity, you could easily pass the "speed of light" from outside perspective.

Thats the only way for you to travel using a warp drive. You physically cant get anywhere by just warping space, as soon as the bubble pops, youd be right back there. but if you use a conventional ion drive or something to move you through that compressed space, then youre actually traveling. :) 

unless you were to compress the space throughout the craft, in which case one could travel using this, but i think the point of this discovery is to reduce energy taken by the warp drive through means of not having to use it to travel directly

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

just like elite dangerous. but the real question is if a company launches a settlement on a new world, is it theirs or the governments?

4790k @ 4.6 (1.25 adaptive) // 2x GTX 970 stock clocks/voltage // Dominator Platnium 4x4 16G //Maximus Formula VII // WD Black1TB + 128GB 850 PRO // RM1000 // NZXT H440 // Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 (MX Blue) // Corsair M95 + Steelseries QCK // Razer Adaro DJ // AOC I2757FH

just like elite dangerous. but the real question is if a company launches a settlement on a new world, is it theirs or the governments?

United Nations have control of the land until a council decides on the rightful owner (probably the colonists who went there) who then establishes a city-state. And the rest is history

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

wow. This is absolutely insane if this turns out to be true. I still dont think travel with this kind of tech wil happen in my lifetime though. Its one thing to do it with a massless particle and another to do it with quite allot of weight.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

United Nations have control of the land until a council decides on the rightful owner (probably the colonists who went there) who then establishes a city-state. And the rest is history

That seems strange to me, if a corporation does the work on their own i think it should be their world to grow. but i guess from a political perspective it makes sense to avoid corruption

4790k @ 4.6 (1.25 adaptive) // 2x GTX 970 stock clocks/voltage // Dominator Platnium 4x4 16G //Maximus Formula VII // WD Black1TB + 128GB 850 PRO // RM1000 // NZXT H440 // Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 (MX Blue) // Corsair M95 + Steelseries QCK // Razer Adaro DJ // AOC I2757FH

Not a single Star Trek reference; I'm disappointed. 

OT: neat  

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

That seems strange to me, if a corporation does the work on their own i think it should be their world to grow. but i guess from a political perspective it makes sense to avoid corruption

No single already existing entity should have access to something akin to a planet. Imagine a private military contractor being able to claim a planet made of uranium as their own. 

Or a company claiming a perpetually spring planet as their own. crops prices (and with that food) would be dominated by them

No single already existing entity should have access to something akin to a planet. Imagine a private military contractor being able to claim a planet made of uranium as their own. 

Or a company claiming a perpetually spring planet as their own. crops prices (and with that food) would be dominated by them

You're completly right. My mind was kind of wandering about our awesome race and what we've done and then I remembered a corporation is still a corporation. Thanks for the info!

You're completly right. My mind was kind of wandering about our awesome race and what we've done and then I remembered a corporation is still a corporation. Thanks for the info!

anytime :) I find space exploration incredibly amazing, and have high hopes for the warp drive. Really dont want to be stuck on this rock for the rest of my days. just give me tumblr and i will go boldly where no human has ever gone (you know the rest) :P

*insert resulting gundam wars here.*

anytime  :) I find space exploration incredibly amazing, and have high hopes for the warp drive. Really dont want to be stuck on this rock for the rest of my days. just give me tumblr and i will go boldly where no human has ever gone (you know the rest)  :P

I'll be in charge of the hydroponics/aeroponics bay.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Glad to see there was an explanation on how warp tech actually works, many don't know though :)
And yeah, Mass Effect style fast travels awesomeness ^^

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |