Why did nvidia skip 800 series?

MaximusX

In the the title.  Does it have to do with them already having a 800m series?

Desktop 1: CPU: Intel Core i7 4770  GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 960 Ram: Crucial DDR3 2x8GB 1600 MHz  Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB and Segate 1TB Hard drive  Desktop 2: CPU: Intel Pentium G3258  GPU: AMD R7 250  Ram: Corsair Vengance DRR3 2x8GB 1600 MHz  Mobo: MSI H81M-E33  PSU: Corsair CX430M  Case: Rosewill MicroAtx Mini Tower

no one really knows.

its jsut like how they skipped the 300 series, and intel skipped the ix 1xxx

Watch out for each other. Love everyone and forgive everyone, including yourself. Forgive your anger, forgive your guilt. Your shame. Your sadness. Embrace and open up your love, your joy, your truth, and most especially your heart. 
-Jim Hensen

In the the title.  Does it have to do with them already having a 800m series?

It's to do with their mobile chips, I believe.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

I bet they wanted to have them on the same series or they didn't have an idea for the next gen mobile chips.  I don't think they wanted to have a 1000s series mobile card.

Desktop 1: CPU: Intel Core i7 4770  GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 960 Ram: Crucial DDR3 2x8GB 1600 MHz  Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB and Segate 1TB Hard drive  Desktop 2: CPU: Intel Pentium G3258  GPU: AMD R7 250  Ram: Corsair Vengance DRR3 2x8GB 1600 MHz  Mobo: MSI H81M-E33  PSU: Corsair CX430M  Case: Rosewill MicroAtx Mini Tower

It was because they wanted Maxwell to be the same on Desktop as on Mobile. Kepler had 3 Generations (600m,700m,800m) on mobile while Desktop had 2 (600, 700). To prevent confusion they skipped 800.

Just remember: Random people on the internet ALWAYS know more than professionals, when someone's lying, AND can predict the future.

i7 9700K (5.2Ghz @1.2V); MSI Z390 Gaming Edge AC; Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB 3200 CAS 16; H100i RGB Platinum; Samsung 970 Evo 1TB; Samsung 850 Evo 500GB; WD Black 3 TB; Phanteks 350x; Corsair RM19750w.

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 4K 9750H GTX 1650 16GB Ram 256GB SSD

Spoiler

sex hahaha

my theory I call this the nvidia theory: 9 - nine is 6 flipped over which makes it 69 for some reason people at nvidia like the number 69. 

3 tips to have a good time on the LTT forums | 1. When you reply to someone please quote them | 2. Please follow your threads | 3. Follow the C.o.C 

If you follow these 3 tips you should have a blast.

i'm rather proud of this for some reason. http://imgur.com/6ttS5XZ

Because its Nvidia.

Its the type of company which launches a 970 and 980 before a 960... A type of company which skips a 790... 

Well thereya go.

(/S)

I don't see the issue with releasing high end cards first and then scaling down.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Because its Nvidia.

Its the type of company which launches a 970 and 980 before a 960... A type of company which skips a 790... 

Well thereya go.

(/S)

why would they make a 790 in the first place?

its like when people just assume that a 980TI is going to come out. 

FRIKKEN 780 TI WAS THE ONLY X80 TI TO EVER COME OUT. CALM THE FK DOWN. .-. nvidia is not your slaivs. 

Watch out for each other. Love everyone and forgive everyone, including yourself. Forgive your anger, forgive your guilt. Your shame. Your sadness. Embrace and open up your love, your joy, your truth, and most especially your heart. 
-Jim Hensen

they skipped the desktop 800 series to keep the naming scheme synchronised with the mobile chips

this way when someone says "900" you know both the mobile and desktop chips are on the same architecture

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

why would they make a 790 in the first place?

its like when people just assume that a 980TI is going to come out. 

FRIKKEN 780 TI WAS THE ONLY X80 TI TO EVER COME OUT. CALM THE FK DOWN. .-. nvidia is not your slaivs. 

Well because you are supposed to use all the second numbers so the product seems better.

Pretty sure if the 790 was even a 5% increase in performance, people would still buy it because of it having 10 more in its name

Lets all ripperoni in pepperoni

Well because you are supposed to use all the second numbers so the product seems better.

Pretty sure if the 790 was even a 5% increase in performance, people would still buy it because of it having 10 more in its name

It would probably be a dual GPU card.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

It would be logical for them to jump the 800 series so the Pascal could have the 1000 series name.

Corsair 760T White | Asus X99 Deluxe | Intel i7-5930k @ 4.4ghz | Corsair H110 | G.Skill Ripjawz 2400mhz | Gigabyte GTX 970 Windforce G1 Gaming (1584mhz/8000mhz) | Corsair AX 760w | Samsung 850 pro | WD Black 1TB | IceModz Sleeved Cables | IceModz RGB LED pack

It would probably be a dual GPU card.

Yeah like the 690.

It would have been really cool though, something to better hold the frontier against the 200 series

Lets all ripperoni in pepperoni

• 1 year later...
On 4/15/2015 at 9:42 AM, Enderman said:

they skipped the desktop 800 series to keep the naming scheme synchronised with the mobile chips

this way when someone says "900" you know both the mobile and desktop chips are on the same architecture

I'm on a 920M and I found out only it and the 910M were Kepler GPUs instead of the 930M (and so on) which were Maxwell.

My Daily Driver:

Acer Predator Helios 300
»« Intel Core i5-8300H »« 16GB DDR4 RAM »« NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6 GB »« Silicon Power A60 512 GB M.2 SSD »« 
Toshiba PC L200 1 TB HDD »« Microsoft Windows 10 Home »«