Experiences with non-techies

@LinusTech PLZ REPRESENT US ON PAGE 1K!!!

Because we all know you also hate non-techies (See Scrapyard Wars Season 3).

Christian 

Use the following style specs in your sig to spread the LTT revolution!

Rig Specs:

Screeninator: Gigabyte GeForce GTX960

Powermathingy: Corsair CX600W

Stickiminator: 2x G.Skill ARES 4GB DDR3-1866

Procrastinator: AMD FX-8350 @4.1GHz 1.3V

Holdametalicizor: DIYPC Gamemax-BK

Noisoundacreator: Cyber Acoustics CA-3072 (loudamagargle) Onn Wireless FM Radio Headset (earamagargle)

Attachamathingy: ASRock 990FX Extreme9

Remembrerthing: Western Digital 1TB Blue, Western Digital 40GB Blue

Flat-Colorful-Thing: Acer K272HL

See-A-Move-O: Logitech Hyperion Fury G402

ButtonBoard: Cooler Master CMSTORM Devastator Blue

Talkamagargle: Blue Snowball Ice

Lol everyone's like "we're so close"... There are still almost 40 pages to go; most than most threads ever even hit! :)

Sort of like how hard drives used to be like 40 GB, and that was a lot, but we don't bat an eye at "losing" more than that on a 1 TB drive.

Everything is relative I guess...  :rolleyes:

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

So - as a friend was troubleshooting his PSU this week I got several gems from him.

Him: My shuts off after a bit of gaming and PSU is hot to the touch!

Me: Likely overheating - try cleaning - the fan is normally enough to cool it though.

Him: Fan ain't spinning

Me: Hmm - better get a new one then - yours is a cheapo and poking around inside is hazardous

Him: I'll just change the fan, don't worry.

Me: No, no you don't just open a PSU with 0 knowledge.

Him: Dude, chill.

#2 - 1 hour later

Him: *sends link* is this a good PSU?

Me: *looks at 5$ used cheapo* Fuck no! - get this *links a 20$ DeepCool (he has a VERY small budget)

Him: 20$? Fuck off. Not paying 20$ for a PSU TopKek!

Me: Don't cheap out on it - this one is decent, has the needed connectors and is 80+ so less heat

Him: Are those PCs good btw?

Me: What PCs?

Him: The ones on the page - listed for 80-90$ - can they run CS:GO?

Me: Friend - those are just cases

Him: WTF? 80$ FOR A CASE? BULLSHIT!

#3 On the next day

Him: I'm buying a new PC - is 3GHz dual core, 4GB RAM and 1GB GPU good?

Me: What exact models?

Him: I don't know - I'm looking at this *sends link to 300$ pre-built from local version of Best Buy or Walmart*

Me: Fuck no, that's an iGPU and a Celeron!

Him: But is it good?

Me; NO!

Him: Will it run CS:GO??

Me: No.... Let me build you a decent PC with an A10 for CS:GO and such

Him: Dude, chill. I got this.

Me: No, no you don't...

Him: I'll just change my PSU's fan!

Me: I told you already, it's dangerous!

Him: Dude, chill!

He may or may be one of those people where it's just better to let him open up the PSU and let natural selection take its course

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

My friend opened his PC case, he found lots of dust. Alright he found his problem, but he cleaned the motherboard with water, he also cleaned the PSU with water.

Me: "Are you sure man?? Let me clean it up for you...."

18CY4.jpg

Now he can't turn his PC on, he's still wondering why he can't turn it on. I don't have the balls to tell him, I doubt he'll accept the truth.

Where I hang out: The Garage - Car Enthusiast Club

My cars: 2006 Mazda RX-8 (MT) | 2014 Mazda 6 (AT) | 2009 Honda Jazz (AT)

PC Specs

Indonesia

CPU: i5-4690 | Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 | Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB | Power Supply: Corsair CX500 | Video Card: MSI GTX 970

Storage: Kingston V300 120GB & WD Blue 1TB | Network Card: ASUS PCE-AC56 | Peripherals: Microsoft Wired 600 & Logitech G29 + Shifter

Australia 

CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G | Motherboard: MSI - B450 Tomahawk | Memory: Mushkin - 8GB (1 x 8GB) | Storage: Mushkin 250GB & Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB
Video Card: GIGABYTE - RX 580 8GB | Case: Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower | Power Supply: Avolv 550W 80+ Gold

My friend opened his PC case, he found lots of dust. Alright he found his problem, but he cleaned the motherboard with water, he also cleaned the PSU with water.

Me: "Are you sure man?? Let me clean it up for you...."

18CY4.jpg

Now he can't turn his PC on, he's still wondering why he can't turn it on. I don't have the balls to tell him, I doubt he'll accept the truth.

Dont tell me it was expensive as well

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

It was only a few years ago that I found a tech channel on youtube named 'Thio Joe' and became a victim of it..let me put it in this way..''I WAS A OBLIVIOUS about technology at that time". You guys should check it out and you'll understand what I'm trying to say.. :)

He may or may be one of those people where it's just better to let him open up the PSU and let natural selection take its course

I have an old PC which wouldn't boot at all, turns out the PSU was too dusty, I cleaned it with a vacuum cleaner :P It works perfectly now.

I have an old PC which wouldn't boot at all, turns out the PSU was too dusty, I cleaned it with a vacuum cleaner :P It works perfectly now.

Actually, water is better. And if you plug it in and turn it on, it will dry faster.

Actually, water is better. And if you plug it in and turn it on, it will dry faster.

add salt for greater effect... salt is a very powerful cleaning agent for electronics...

I am not liable for any damages done to people or their properties should they push through with the stated method.

add salt for greater effect... salt is a very powerful cleaning agent for electronics...

I am not liable for any damages done to people or their properties should they push through with the stated method.

I hear that scrubbing with metal dust helps get a better clean.

I am not responsible for any damage you do to your electronics...

I hear that scrubbing with metal dust helps get a better clean.

I am not responsible for any damage you do to your electronics...

You need to shot blast it. Works great for stripping paint and for cleaning sensitive electronics. 

I really did clean it with a vacuum cleaner, no joke. The computer wasn't cleaned from a long time, last time it was powered on was 2 years from the time I cleaned the PSU.

You going for the ThioJoe award?  :P

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

pls no more puns

ohh puns. brikster have you ever "bricked" a phone? (wink wink nudge nudge) sorry couldnt help myself

“I am Holo the Wise Wolf. I know that there are things in this world that I do not know and that makes me wise!”

Spoiler

Use the following style specs for your profile!
Screeninator:  Asus GeForce GTX 750Ti 2GB
Powermathingy: EVGA 500W
Stickaminator: Crucial 16GB 「4x4GB」DDR3-1600
Procrastinator: Intel i5-4460 3.2ghz
Holdametalicizor:  Corsair 200R 
Noisoundacreator:  Razer kracken pro
Attatchamajiggy :  Asrock H97 Anniversairy ATX LGA1150
Remembrerthing:  i've got a-lot of drives
Flat-Colorful-Thing:  LG not actually sure the model of it
See-A-Move-O: Razer Mamba 2012
ButtonBoard:  Razer Deathstalker 

So my friends challenged me to speak only in video game quotes. My chemistry teacher a few minutes later asks me a question about electrons. I reply because war, war never changes. Then this one prat starts laughing at me calling me a cod fanboy, out of everyone my teacher corrects him saying that its from the fallout series. Apparently she used to play fallout 1 and 2.

Me and some friends used to play D&D and Magic with one of our 8th grade L.A teachers.

Not my grandma... She knows how to suck up 8GB of RAM.

That's not the only thing she knows how to suck up if you catch my drift, NYAAAAAAAA! (Sorry I insulted your grandma, I'm a very bad person, opportunity was too good for me to resist, ill go to the corner now...)

That's not the only thing she knows how to suck up if you catch my drift, NYAAAAAAAA! (Sorry I insulted your grandma, I'm a very bad person, opportunity was too good for me to resist, ill go to the corner now...)

6GJWk.gif

:D

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler

I am sorry.

I'm just joking around :)

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler

Oh....

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

My moms always complains about her computer being quite when she is trying to watch videos. I always tell her to get a new one and she says "I dont need a new one its just fine". smh

My moms always complains about her computer being quite when she is trying to watch videos. I always tell her to get a new one and she says "I dont need a new one its just fine". smh

Much like how my mother refuses to replace her phone which is already malfunctioning...