Experiences with non-techies

Indeed, if it touches the motherboard, yes. But since vacumm cleaners can suck up dust from several metres away, you can keep it at a safe distance to avoid static discharge.

several *metres* away? What kinda ball to the wall hoover do you have? Mine does a few inches.

Sorry Sort Of Off Topic But.... I hate it when companies think it is ok to take advantage of non-techies by selling them $100 USB hubs. This disgusts me, selling something so cheap for so much money to unsuspecting people. Companies like ChargeHub make money off of the ignorance of others. 

Links:

Walmart $90

ChargeHub Website

For Hahas an equivalent product from Monoprice for $14.36 

In Conclusion: A crummy product at a stupid price.

I encountered Something like this not even a year ago at staples. there was a 100ft CAT5e cable for $80+/- where you can get one online for $20 or less...

I'm Probably at work so expect a reply either really fast or really slow :D

I encountered Something like this not even a year ago at staples. there was a 100ft CAT5e cable for $80+/- where you can get one online for $20 or less...

i can get 500ft of cat6 for less than $100 lol  staples is ripping people off

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

Yes, the same goes for HDMI cables. $40 at the stores. 50 cents online.

Rich Purnell Is A Steely-Eyed Missile Man

Yes, the same goes for HDMI cables. $40 at the stores. 50 cents online.

oh really?  http://www.amazon.com/AudioQuest-Diamond-feet-Braided-Cable/dp/B003CT08E4

EDIT: the reviews are hillarious

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

oh really?  http://www.amazon.com/AudioQuest-Diamond-feet-Braided-Cable/dp/B003CT08E4

That's one of those super ridiculous ones marketed toward clueless rich audiophiles.  There are 3 tiers of HDMI cable: the ones you should buy, the $100 ones, and then these :D

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Or the expensive Ethernet cables for "better audio quality, me and my uncle laughed about that for hours on end. (I have never mentioned this but my distant uncle is a software dev)

Rich Purnell Is A Steely-Eyed Missile Man

I sell computers so I'm asked awesome questions every day. 

My favorite recently was simple. Someone buying a cheap laptop from me, saw my apple watch and said, "Oh is that the watch!? Does it work?"

I looked at him and said, ...."Yeah it turns on". 

Like, what else do I say? If it didn't work it wouldn't be on my wrist, I'd have returned it and gotten my money back. 

I sell computers so I'm asked awesome questions every day. 

My favorite recently was simple. Someone buying a cheap laptop from me, saw my apple watch and said, "Oh is that the watch!? Does it work?"

I looked at him and said, ...."Yeah it turns on". 

Like, what else do I say? If it didn't work it wouldn't be on my wrist, I'd have returned it and gotten my money back. 

lol "no, I wear a broken watch just for the looks, ya know?" or "no, they're just a big scam, but I like to help apple out" :D

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Another time that came to mind is when we had a $50 no name tablet on sale for $35. That's right. A literal $35 tablet. 

Customer asked why our demo unit was so slow and why the screen changed colors when looked at from different angles  :D

I was like, iPads are over there, Galaxy Tablets are over there, Surfaces are over there. Otherwise, $35. 

Another time that came to mind is when we had a $50 no name tablet on sale for $35. That's right. A literal $35 tablet. 

Customer asked why our demo unit was so slow and why the screen changed colors when looked at from different angles  :D

I was like, iPads are over there, Galaxy Tablets are over there, Surfaces are over there. Otherwise, $35.

I have one of those so-called 35USD tablets... It is now my desk clock...

I have one of those so-called 35USD tablets... It is now my desk clock...

Hmm... perhaps I could re-purpose my Xperia Z1 for that. I mean the phone itself is fine, but battery doesn't even last a single hour. (plus I lack the tools, skills, and brains, to change it)

I can conveniently purpose it into something like a desk clock, thanks to it coming with a charging dock which makes it stand upright in landscape orientation.

Never trust my advice. Only take any and all advice from me with a grain of salt. Just a heads up.

Hmm... perhaps I could re-purpose my Xperia Z1 for that. I mean the phone itself is fine, but battery doesn't even last a single hour. (plus I lack the tools, skills, and brains, to change it)

I can conveniently purpose it into something like a desk clock, thanks to it coming with a charging dock which makes it stand upright in landscape orientation.

Just keep it on the dock then... the battery shouldn't blow itself apart if it's made well...

Just keep it on the dock then... the battery shouldn't blow itself apart if it's made well...

The battery has expanded noticeably though... It bends the back cover a little, to a point where there is a gap that I'm pretty sure breaks the IP67 rating.

Most likely it won't blow up though.

Never trust my advice. Only take any and all advice from me with a grain of salt. Just a heads up.

The battery has expanded noticeably though... It bends the back cover a little, to a point where there is a gap that I'm pretty sure breaks the IP67 rating.

dayum... My really old Nokia phones had that problem before I had to decommission them...

That sounds like what the defective shield tablets were doing before nvidia issues that massive recall.. hm...

-snippy snippet-

Yeah, I saw that, there were even 'used' ones for sale

Computer's don't make errors. What they do, they do on purpose.

I like this part too:

post-265114-0-43208300-1448490339.png

My favorite part is the one single review which is either really good satire, or just someone who is really misinformed that thinks this cable is legitimately better than the competition. 

I've built 3 PC's, but none for myself... In fact, I'm using an iMac that my dad bought for me as my desktop. Awkward...

Please don't say "SSD drive." By doing so, you are literally saying "Solid State Drive Drive" and causing my brain cells to commit suicide. The same applies to HDD (Hard Disk Drive) and PCIe (Peripheral Component Interconnect Express).

People think that they can shove DDR4 ram into a DDR Slot . Come on , just buy new products..

Spoiler

System

• CPU
    i7-3960x
  • Motherboard
    generic x79
  • RAM
    ballistic ddr3 8gb @ 1600mhz
  • GPU
    sapphire r7 250 2 gb gddr3
  • Case
    Lepra, Some LED Fans and a glass window
  • Storage
    1 500gb wd blue hdd
  • 1 1tb toshiba hdd
    1 320gb wd blue
  • PSU
    seagate 400w 
  • Display(s)
    element tv, HNC 720p monitor 
  • Cooling
    2 LED fans 1 Fans
  • Keyboard
    LED vander life keyboard
  • Mouse
    LED vander life mouse
  • Sound
    RIG ps4 headset
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 , soon 10.13 hackintosh

People think that they can shove DDR4 ram into a DDR Slot . Come on , just buy new products..

Well, I do believe its entirely possible to shove one thing into another, but getting them to work together would be a different issue

My AMD Build:

Spoiler

FX 6300 @ 4.8GHz, Zalman CNPS14X, MSI 970 Gaming, 16gb 1866MHz AData Ram, 3D Club R9 280X, Corsair 600M Psu, Thermaltake V3 AMD Edition Case, D-link 1200AC WiFi, 240gb Mushkin SSD, 2tb WD HDD, 140gb WD HDD (recording gameplay), 5x CoolerMaster SickleFlow 120mm fans, Windows 10 64Bit

Sisters Intel Build:

Spoiler

I7 4790k @ 4.4GHz, CoolerMaster 212 Evo, Gigabyte Gaming 5, 16gb 1866MHz Corsair Ram, 3D Club R9 390, EVGA 650GS Psu, NZXT S340 Case, D-Link 1200AC WiFi Card, HyperX 240gb SSD, 2tb WD HDD, Windows 10 64 Bit

Indeed, if it touches the motherboard, yes. But since vacumm cleaners can suck up dust from several metres away, you can keep it at a safe distance to avoid static discharge.

Several meters away? that is pretty good to do that from 6+ feet away. I know no vacuum cleaner capable of doing that; maybe like 6inches (12-15cm) that I can swallow believe.

I was 10 when that happened and not techie at the time (as I mentioned).

*edited

Edited by SansVarnic

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER