Experiences with non-techies

Your avatar is scaring the absolute sh*t out of me.

The fact that you replied and quoted a message from 11. July makes me want to hide under the bed...

Tor
Corsair Obsidian 650D - Intel 4770K CPU - Gigabyte G1 Sniper 5 - ASUS GTX 780 Direct CU 2 - Kingston Beast Hyperx Beast 16 GB RAM -  Corsair AX 1200i PSU - Samsung EVO drive 750 GB - Corsair AF series 120mm fans - Corsair H100i - Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 edition - Razer Ouroboros - Razer Manticor - Windows 7 - Beyerdynamic MMX 300

When I got my 7850 my dad asked how much graphics it had xD

Fuk...

CPU: Fx 8350 | CPU Cooler: Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo Now  AMD STOCK CPU COOLER | Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3 (rev 1.1)   NOW MSI 990FXA-GD80 | Ram: Corsair Vengence 8GB DDR3 Motherboard detects 7gb for some weird reason | Graphics Card: SAPPHIRE HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB GDDR5 |  HDD: 1 TB samsung 

Case: CM elite 310 | Monitor: Aoc e2050S

OS: Windows 8 Professional 64 Bit NOW  Wndows 10 Professional 64 Bit

Power Supply: Cooler Master Thunder 500W NOW GX 650W v2

dont joke about ur DAD ! 

but i had something similar with my dad 

Everyone jokes about their dads...

Tor
Corsair Obsidian 650D - Intel 4770K CPU - Gigabyte G1 Sniper 5 - ASUS GTX 780 Direct CU 2 - Kingston Beast Hyperx Beast 16 GB RAM -  Corsair AX 1200i PSU - Samsung EVO drive 750 GB - Corsair AF series 120mm fans - Corsair H100i - Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 edition - Razer Ouroboros - Razer Manticor - Windows 7 - Beyerdynamic MMX 300

Everyone jokes about their dads...

not me :(

CPU: Fx 8350 | CPU Cooler: Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo Now  AMD STOCK CPU COOLER | Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3 (rev 1.1)   NOW MSI 990FXA-GD80 | Ram: Corsair Vengence 8GB DDR3 Motherboard detects 7gb for some weird reason | Graphics Card: SAPPHIRE HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB GDDR5 |  HDD: 1 TB samsung 

not me :(

Then you better start doing so ;)

Tor

I consulted a friend who wanted a gaming PC, told him what to buy and said I charge a 10% flat rate for the first day and hourly after that with free repairs.  On the day I go over to his house to build the PC he tells me he also invited another friend who knows a bit about computers.  I don't know if you know the feeling of being around another tech head, but just the thought got me excited because I know nobody else irl that enjoys PCs as much as I do.  I go over there and explain what's going in the PC, just a simple APU build.  He knew nothing except for basic identification of the parts.  I was super disappointed, so I spent the next 2 hours putting it together while simultaneously explaining and answering questions.  I had a great time doing it, don't get me wrong, and to their surprise it booted up first time, at which point the one friend said, "Hey, I thought this was going to be quiet, you lied to me."  Then I had to explain to him that I had to change the settings in the BIOS, he then proceeded to say the computer didn't come with a BIOS and looked in the case's box.  I was thoroughly amused.

Available from 3pm to Midnight Eastern Time (GMT-5). (>'-')> <('-'<) ^(' - ')^ <('-'<) (>'-')> You can't stop the kirby dance. 

4770k | Gigabyte GTX 970 Mini | Lian Li PC-TU100B | MSI Z87I 2x8GB G.Skill Sniper | Noctua NH-L9i Silverstone Strider 450W SFX | Windows 10 | 2x 250GB 840 Evo Rad 0 1x 1TB WD 2.5" | 25% gaming, 25% CAD and rendering, and 50% web browsing.

Then you better start doing so ;)

sorry cant do it as i respect him he might be a non techie but he is my father !

I consulted a friend who wanted a gaming PC, told him what to buy and said I charge a 10% flat rate for the first day and hourly after that with free repairs.  On the day I go over to his house to build the PC he tells me he also invited another friend who knows a bit about computers.  I don't know if you know the feeling of being around another tech head, but just the thought got me excited because I know nobody else irl that enjoys PCs as much as I do.  I go over there and explain what's going in the PC, just a simple APU build.  He knew nothing except for basic identification of the parts.  I was super disappointed, so I spent the next 2 hours putting it together while simultaneously explaining and answering questions.  I had a great time doing it, don't get me wrong, and to their surprise it booted up first time, at which point the one friend said, "Hey, I thought this was going to be quiet, you lied to me."  Then I had to explain to him that I had to change the settings in the BIOS, he then proceeded to say the computer didn't come with a BIOS and looked in the case's box.  I was thoroughly amused.

Well at least you had fun in teaching them ;) Always fun to see the non-techies get amused by technology :)

Tor

Well at least you had fun in teaching them ;) Always fun to see the non-techies get amused by technology :)

They learned nothing though.  The one friend, while I accidentally clicked yes to updating windows, listened to me talk about all this computer stuff and it was in one ear and out the other.

Available from 3pm to Midnight Eastern Time (GMT-5). (>'-')> <('-'<) ^(' - ')^ <('-'<) (>'-')> You can't stop the kirby dance. 

4770k | Gigabyte GTX 970 Mini | Lian Li PC-TU100B | MSI Z87I 2x8GB G.Skill Sniper | Noctua NH-L9i Silverstone Strider 450W SFX | Windows 10 | 2x 250GB 840 Evo Rad 0 1x 1TB WD 2.5" | 25% gaming, 25% CAD and rendering, and 50% web browsing.

when i was getting my new pc my dad came with me to local store cause he does not trust me with money :(

so when i decided the parts  the shop keeper was assembling it for free :P so my dad keep asking him how much ram does this pc has ?  is this a good pc ? 

after then shopkeeper said u should buy an full HD monitor as u have bought a good gpu my dad was in tension then that whether our 1600x900 monitor will work or not with the new pc 

~~~~~~~~~~~~

and  when ever i change TIM of my gpu or open the case my dad thinks i am voiding the warranty and i will break the pc ! just cause i open it like every once in a week 

~~~~~~~~~~~~

also when my friends and neighbours / other family members came and said is this a server or why did i bought an 1500 $ pc my dad could not answer ,,, so now my dad thinks i wasted there money on a super machine :(

My dad wanted me checked when I gave him the list for my computer with the pricing on it (30000 Norwegian kroner which accounts to around 5K USD... Things are more expensive in Norway :( ) so you are not alone being accused of wasting ;) And the worst part is: I spent months planning this computer and still he thinks I know nothing about the parts :(

But my dad buying lenses each costing 1000+ USD for his 2000+ USD camera just because he doesn´t like the "tint" and "zoom functions" of his current ones, my mother spending thousands of dollars a year on Yoga and finding her inner energy, my brother subscribing to 10 different magazines about gardens, my sister exclusively living of nothing but the most expensive vegetables and marinated chicken/turkey is just logic spending of money...  -_-

I guess in times like these we want to f*** logic hard  :(

Tor

They learned nothing though.  The one friend, while I accidentally clicked yes to updating windows, listened to me talk about all this computer stuff and it was in one ear and out the other.

We all have this problem :( They just don´t want to listen since they think that they will never need it...

Tor

My dad wanted me checked when I gave him the list for my computer with the pricing on it (30000 Norwegian kroner which accounts to around 5K USD... Things are more expensive in Norway :( ) so you are not alone being accused of wasting ;) And the worst part is: I spent months planning this computer and still he thinks I know nothing about the parts :(

But my dad buying lenses each costing 1000+ USD for his 2000+ USD camera just because he doesn´t like the "tint" and "zoom functions" of his current ones, my mother spending thousands of dollars a year on Yoga and finding her inner energy, my brother subscribing to 10 different magazines about gardens, my sister exclusively living of nothing but the most expensive vegetables and marinated chicken/turkey is just logic spending of money...  -_-

I guess in times like these we want to f*** logic hard  :(

ur like my brother u know we get each other so much 

ur like my brother u know we get each other so much 

Yeah I feel you bro :) Nice to know that there is someone else out there struggling with the same things as you are ;)

Tor

The fact that you replied and quoted a message from 11. July makes me want to hide under the bed...

Agreed, I was like huh! What is this quote about! From Ages ago :D

Your avatar is scaring the absolute sh*t out of me.

hahah D: how? xD

PROFILEYEAH

What do people even put in these things?

Well it's just sad, but one time my mom forgot she hid her laptop in the oven and baked it and didn't remember until the plastic had melted and you could smell it 

Motherboard - Asus Z97-WS ll Processor -Intel i7-4790K ll Cooling- Custom Loop ll RAM - Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB(2x8) @2400 ll Graphics Card  - EVGA GeForce GTX 980 TI ll PSU - Corsair AX 1200 Watts ll SSD - Samsung 840 Pro 256GB ll HDD - seagate barracuda green 2TB & Seagate 4TB ll Case - Silverstone TJ11 ll Audio - Asus Xonar Essence STX  ll OS- Win 10 PRO 64-bit ll Keyboard- CM Storm QuickfireTK Green Switchesll Mouse- Logitech G502

My supervisor at work calling the PC "CPU".

I had a teacher last year and she was talking about computers, I told her that I build one and then she told me that she always buys new computers on ebay, and she tells her husband to upgrade the RAM, I asked her "why?" and she said "to make the computer faster, and when I can't add more RAM I just sell it and buy a better one." What a waste of money, I didn't explained her that RAM doesn't make a PC faster by adding more, because I'm sure she was going to ignore me anyway. She just uses the PC for browsing and using Microsoft Office.

I had a teacher last year and she was talking about computers, I told her that I build one and then she told me that she always buys new computers on ebay, and she tells her husband to upgrade the RAM, I asked her "why?" and she said "to make the computer faster, and when I can't add more RAM I just sell it and buy a better one." What a waste of money, I didn't explained her that RAM doesn't make a PC faster by adding more, because I'm sure she was going to ignore me anyway. She just uses the PC for browsing and using Microsoft Office.

Who would buy our shit on Ebay if we didn´t have people like that around the place? ;)

Tor

so this one time I was hanging out with my friend who is the manager at a tech shop by where I live and a girl comes in and buys a 2tb hard drive. we let her know that we install hard drives for $1 (the cost of the sata cable we use) and she says "just because I am a woman does not mean I cant work on computers" and leaves in a huff. two days later she comes back in saying that the HDD is not working so we take the computer in to look at it, we open it and the HDD is nowhere to be seen, so we ask her where it is. and it turns out that she scanned it and put the scanned image on her desktop to install the drive. and to top that off she threw away the drive she paid almost $200 for and she wanted us to give her a new one.

This can't be real. I don't want to believe!

She may not know how computers work, but are you sure she doesn't make a profit when she sells it?

One time my grandma complained that her computer was slow. So I ran Malwarebytes. IT FOUND 115 VIRUSES!!!!

My new rig build log:http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/80801-m-itx-pc/?p=1158887 Now finished with  970!                          Can anybody give me a freelancer?                  I need to transport more HYPBP.               Butt Imperium games                     RAINBOW .                   840 EVO still awesome                    The evil that is verizon has been vanquished!      ܝܘܚܢܢ ܒܝܬ ܐܦܪܝܡ

I used to work at a computer shop for IT support and service. Whenever something is wrong with the machine, they'll always ask if it's a virus or not. If the shortcut on the desktop is gone, they would think all of their data on the computer are gone. My mum isn't non-techy but she just double clicks on EVERYTHING she wants to open. That includes links and buttons on the web browser. She would double click on the Google searches to open them too and I got really annoyed watching her using the computer at some point of my life. I have another one but it's not really non-techies. My friend is a photographer but not much of a computer guy so he bought a netbook(yes, those 10-inches) and brought it to college. Apparently he actually used that netbook to edit photo and do his work. I remember him posting a comment which he thinks tiny computer are less powerful(true to some extent).

That is what my sister dose. Apparently she did computer science in collage for `4 years. I still doubt it. The only actually tech people are in my family: Me, Uncle (engineer at KLA_Tencor) and Cousin (of another uncle). Uncle is pretty respected though, worked for AMD, checks machines, wafers etc. Still not as tech as far as actual computers go (pc/ibm); thinks desktops are dying for 'home users'...'

To love is to risk not being loved in return. To hope is to risk pain. To try is to risk failure, but risk must be taken because the greatest hazard in life is to risk nothing.