Experiences with non-techies

also my family thinks i am the guy who doesn't know anything about computers and i will break them just cause i keep playing with new os and i open my case every once in a while to clean up or upgrading ...

and they think my sister is better than me in computers just cause she let them skype ...  and open some web sites for them T_T 

look at the bright side of it, if your family knew you were good with computers you'd be fixing theirs all the time ^^

AMD FX8320 @3.5ghz |  Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3  |  Corsair Vengeance 8gb 1600mhz  |  Hyper 412s  |  Gigabyte windforceR9 290  |  BeQuiet! 630w  |  Asus Xonar DGX  |  CoolerMast HAF 912+  |  Samsung 840 120gb

2 WD red 1tb RAID0  |  WD green 2tb(external, backup)  |  Asus VG278He  |  LG Flatron E2240  |  CMstorm Quickfire TK MXbrown  |  Sharkoon Fireglider  |  Audio Technica ATH700X

#KILLEDMYWIFE

look at the bright side of it, if your family knew you were good with computers you'd be fixing theirs all the time 

me and my sister are the only one with computers other people don't know even how to turn the computer on 

CPU: Fx 8350 | CPU Cooler: Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo Now  AMD STOCK CPU COOLER | Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3 (rev 1.1)   NOW MSI 990FXA-GD80 | Ram: Corsair Vengence 8GB DDR3 Motherboard detects 7gb for some weird reason | Graphics Card: SAPPHIRE HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB GDDR5 |  HDD: 1 TB samsung 

Case: CM elite 310 | Monitor: Aoc e2050S

OS: Windows 8 Professional 64 Bit NOW  Wndows 10 Professional 64 Bit

Power Supply: Cooler Master Thunder 500W NOW GX 650W v2

I actually do have a story now I'm thinking about it.. Let me sum it up A coworker of mine (I work at a supermarket) sees himself as a tech fanatic. Once he was talking about a build he wanted to do. He started talking about getting all top tier Asus ROG stuff, 7970's, H100 (at the time).. All massively overpriced stuff. And.. four 250GB harddrives in a Raid 0. So I asked him why would you do that? Raid 0 is a stupid raid, just get one big fast drive and a SSD for boot and stuff, much more reliable that way. But he didn't move one bit. Some time after that we we're having a break and we started talking computer again. I asked him why he wants to go AMD in stead if Nvidia for a GPU. He replied: ''No, Nvidia cards are made by Intel, and I dislike Intel!''. I told him Intel only makes integrated graphics and not discrete ones and that Nvidia and Intel are in no way affiliated, but he wouldn't change his mind. After that he started talking about coolers. He said he had a H100 once before. ''Yeah, that thing is so nice the temps of my CPU we're lower than the temperature of my room!'' I tried to teach him a small lesson in physics on why that would be entirely impossible, but he kept yammering about. One time after that he started talking about thermal compound and how he always spreads it over the entire CPU instead of a single blob in the mid. I tried to tell him why that method is shit, to which he replied ''I always do that and I have the lowest temps of all my friends!'' (Obviously made up). Usually I don't care if people believe things that aren't optimal/true/good in any way, but this guy was so immensely dense it was unbelievable, and a complete tool too. Every word you tried to throw at him just bounced off.

can u explain it to me ?? that why could not  a cpu can get lower than room temperature with cooler "? 

i am happy to learn hope u do not mind explaining it to me 

thanks in advance 

CPU: Fx 8350 | CPU Cooler: Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo Now  AMD STOCK CPU COOLER | Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3 (rev 1.1)   NOW MSI 990FXA-GD80 | Ram: Corsair Vengence 8GB DDR3 Motherboard detects 7gb for some weird reason | Graphics Card: SAPPHIRE HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB GDDR5 |  HDD: 1 TB samsung 

can u explain it to me ?? that why could not  a cpu can get lower than room temperature with cooler "? 

i am happy to learn hope u do not mind explaining it to me 

thanks in advance 

My guess Physics, but I would like to know the full explication as well so could someone explain it in more detail.

My guess Physics, but I would like to know the full explication as well so could someone explain it in more detail.

pretty much if his temps were cooler than ambient than it would cool down his room so they would be the same

<p>Wires Suck :angry:
!fY0|_|(4|\|R34[)7#!5PMM37#3(0[)3:1337 70833|\|73R3[)!|\|49!\/34\|/4Y 4|\|[)93741!f3

I had a friend that bought a Dell computer to try and game on. <- A fail in it's self... And after installing Battlefield he realized it wasn't ever going to play with acceptable frame rates. So he rang me up asking 'what's wrong with my computer? it wont run the game'. I just suggested to buy a new graphics card, common practice right?, a couple days passed by before he rang again and asked 'WTF, you don't know what you're talking about... it still will not play'. I went over to investigate. He had bought a GTX 670! (Still using the garbage retail computer, dual core, 2 gigs of ram) Not making any remark to the bottlenecked computer I looked at the IO shield, he was still using the integrated graphics... /facepalm He is still using VGA cables on a 1080p monitor too.

can u tell me whats wrong with vga cable please :? sorry i am a noob at this 

i am using my 7870 with a vga cable 

but my pc does not have a inbuilt video card 

pretty much if his temps were cooler than ambient than it would cool down his room so they would be the same

It's got to be more complicated then that...

i used to believe this guy u know ... now i know how much of an idiot i was 

It's got to be more complicated then that...

it really isn't its like when you put your hand on a rock your hand will cool down and the rock will heat up

!fY0|_|(4|\|R34[)7#!5PMM37#3(0[)3:1337 70833|\|73R3[)!|\|49!\/34\|/4Y 4|\|[)93741!f3

Linus hates it therefore its bad.

why whats so wrong with the vga cable its just a vga  port u know and ...  there nothing i could do as there is only a vga port on my monitor as well

why whats so wrong with the vga cable its just a port u know and ... 

its fine but there are better alternatives

its fine but there are better alternatives

yes i know but i just cant change it as vga cables are cheap and they do the job also my monitor only have a vga port 

yes i know but i just cant change it as vga cables are cheap and they do the job also my monitor only have a vga port 

I'm not telling you to change...

I'm not telling you to change...

i didn't said i will change did i :P 

maybe i will if i bought a new pc in usa ! 

u seem like a nice person be my friend please *.* also what does this means 为什么所有的东西是英语 or i could just google translate it xD 

i wonder if any one thought this was for real and tried it out xD just cause they did not saw full video ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnyoJtv9Cx0

also what does this means 为什么所有的东西是英语 or i could just google translate it xD 

Why is everything here english

oh yeah and i forgot when i asked my teacher how to clean thermal paste he told me to remove it with hand or finger nail

but i did what a wise guy do  i use micro fiber cloth !

also we didn't have isopropyl alcohol here ... so i just rubbed it with cloth and it came off 

same goes for the TIM  on gpu i used cotton swabs to clean there 

A few times I have facepalmed soooo hard in front of non-techies, it's not even funny.

When I wasn't a techie, about when I was 5. "Why did the Gateway logo try to take me to the Internet?"

Then I caught the tech bug, and it now goes like this:

My dad when drunk (he's 58) is like: Grabs the Xbox controller, and takes himself out of Netflix and winds up to the Connect to Windows menu in Settings, and I have to say, "Put down the controller, and give it to Mom, please."  He gives to my mother, who then leaves the living room, and he grabs the controller again.

My mom be like: "Connor, why did the computer do this?" Windows XP memory leak. I just told her to hold in the power button, and then restart the PC. She does, and it BSODs again. "What did you do?" "I clicked on the ad thing."

@acepro71

It's similar to cooking a roast. You put the joint in the oven at say 200°C. The joint can't get any hotter than the air surrounding it because the air only has so much heat energy to give to the joint. So once the joint gets to 200°C the air can't give any more energy to the meat.

Cooling is the reverse. The cooler has a certain amount of heat energy as does the surrounding air, the cooler can only give so much heat energy away to the air before they become the same temperature and the cooler will no longer be able to put any more heat out into the air.

Hopefully this cleared it up for you.

Just my 2 pence worth.

Also my bad @ElfFriendv for quoting at you.

And to think I failed Higher Physics   :angry: 

"Everybody wants a happy ending, right? But it doesn’t always roll that way." - TS

@acepro71

It's similar to cooking a roast. You put the joint in the oven at say 200°C. The joint can't get any hotter than the air surrounding it because the air only has so much heat energy to give to the joint. So once the joint gets to 200°C the air can't give any more energy to the meat.

Cooling is the reverse. The cooler has a certain amount of heat energy as does the surrounding air, the cooler can only give so much heat energy away to the air before they become the same temperature and the cooler will no longer be able to put any more heat out into the air.

Hopefully this cleared it up for you.

Just my 2 pence worth.

Also my bad @ElfFriendv for quoting at you.

thank u it did explain everything clearly

thank u it did explain everything clearly

No problem!

And to think I failed Higher Physics  :angry: 

"Everybody wants a happy ending, right? But it doesn’t always roll that way." - TS