Experiences with non-techies

On 11/27/2023 at 2:37 PM, WhitetailAni said:

Got told that any site without https is always wrong and that .org sites are always right today. 

Please check out my new blog at IStealYourCreditCardInfo.org! 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

Not a personal experience but I have seen people on Amazon that think 1tb flash drives for 25usd is real. Tech scams aimed at non tech people is horrible.

49 minutes ago, Milesqqw2 said:

Not a personal experience but I have seen people on Amazon that think 1tb flash drives for 25usd is real. Tech scams aimed at non tech people is horrible.

I encourage people in all areas to become at least basically educated because there are people who will scam you, especially if they perceive you as uneducated. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

28 minutes ago, da na said:

Might as well buy one of these:

USB-Pet-Rock-0

Not C tho, can't connect to my iPad that I bought for $30 on TaoBow.

2 hours ago, htimsenyawed said:

Everyone knows those are a scam. Too expensive. I picked up a 4TB from insert any Chinese wholesale website here for $3 with free shipping.

Clearly not if they're still selling them. Their business model might work well enough. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

Boss: We need to update all the passwords, I changed the password this weekend

Us: What password did you change?
Boss: The Password

Us: Which password??

Boss: I couldn't sign into my laptop so I had to change The Password

Us: Both PC's here use offline accounts, they're not linked to your Microsoft account

Boss: But I changed THE PASSWORD

Us: Did you change other passwords?

Boss: Yes

Us: WHICH PASSWORDS DID YOU CHANGE???
Boss: The Password

Us: Did you change any passwords besides the password to log into your laptop??????

Boss: No just that one but it's going to sign you out of everything here, it signed me out of everything at home.

Me: No, we use an offline account for MS accounts for the 2 PC's here to avoid that issue. If you changed any other passwords please update them with the office master password list. Otherwise if we get signed out of something then you can figure it out, don't mess with the business passwords please.

Coworker: Hey Avocado, I gotta prepare a bunch of identical USB thumb drives to hand out to course attendees. Do you have any idea how to do that quickly?

Me: Yeah, skip the thumb drives, host the files online and send everybody a link.

Coworker: We can't do that, the bigwig in charge really wants us to hand out these thumb drives.

Me: That's stupid. First off, it's kinda against policy, since most government agencies and departments have a clause that would forbid the use of unvetted thumb drives due to security concerns. But more importantly, you're giving out USB 2.0 speed drives. Nobody in their right mind would want to use that to transfer large files, it's gonna take an eternity to prepare all these drives for all your attendees. How's the boss ok with wasting all of your time that could be spent on more productive tasks?

Coworker: ...

Me: ...

Coworker: So yeah, I'm gonna go and copy those files now.

And now a word from our sponsor: 💩

-.-. --- --- .-.. --..-- / -.-- --- ..- / -.- -. --- .-- / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. .

ᑐᑌᑐᑢ

Spoiler

▄██████                                                      ▄██▀

▄█▀   ███                                                      ██

▄██     ███                                                      ██

███   ▄████  ▄█▀  ▀██▄    ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄██   ▄████▄

███████████ ███     ███ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀████ ▄██▀ ▀███▄

████▀   ███ ▀██▄   ▄██▀ ███    ███ ███        ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███

██▄    ███ ▄ ▀██▄██▀    ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄███  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██

▀█▄    ▀█ ██▄ ▀█▀     ▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀     ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀

▄█ ▄▄      ▄█▄  █▀            █▄                   ▄██  ▄▀

▀  ██      ███                ██                    ▄█

██      ███   ▄   ▄████▄   ██▄████▄     ▄████▄   ██   ▄

██      ███ ▄██ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ███▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ██ ▄██

██     ███▀  ▄█ ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███ ██  ▄█

█▄██  ▄▄██▀    ██  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██  ██  ██

▀███████▀    ▄████▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀ ▄█████████▄

Reminds me of the time several years ago when encryption blackmail stuff was taking off again. General IT department sent out an email cautioning everyone to be vigilant and not trust any unexpected emails, internal or external, and to not click on links or open any attachments. Fine.

They also stated that they had a new policy regarding this, "see attached pdf file".

No, that was not a test. No, they did not get the irony and were pretty annoyed all departments asked whether that PDF was save. Local IT had a good laugh.

15 minutes ago, GarlicDeliverySystem said:

Reminds me of the time several years ago when encryption blackmail stuff was taking off again. General IT department sent out an email cautioning everyone to be vigilant and not trust any unexpected emails, internal or external, and to not click on links or open any attachments. Fine.

They also stated that they had a new policy regarding this, "see attached pdf file".

No, that was not a test. No, they did not get the irony and were pretty annoyed all departments asked whether that PDF was save. Local IT had a good laugh.

My IT department has sent out sketchy emails to people to see who would click on it, and who wouldn't. 

1 minute ago, Godlygamer23 said:

My IT department has sent out sketchy emails to people to see who would click on it, and who wouldn't. 

Oh, the IT department at my workplace has a whole system for this, including a single button in outlook to report stuff and random test mails.

That example though, that was not that. The people who sent out that stuff literally didn't get why everyone were laughing and/or calling them.

Recently I bought a used PC for F@H (which came with its own metric ton of unpleasant surprises, but that's another story), and had to convince my mom that it won't grind our home internet to a halt.

She thougth that it would use too much bandwith and leave none for our other devices, while in fact it uses somewhere around 500MB of data per month and we have an unlimited data plan.

English is not my first language, so please excuse any confusion or misunderstandings on my end.

I like to edit my posts a lot.

F@H-Stats

The Folding rig:

CPU: Core i7 4790K

RAM: 16 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3-1600

GPU 1: RTX 2070 Super

GPU 2: GTX 1060 3GB

PSU: Gigabyte P450B EVGA 600BR EVGA 750BR

Cooling: 2x Delta GFB1212VHG w. PWM

Linux let me down.

.- -- --- --. ..- ...         

Hello!

17 minutes ago, Schnoz said:

LOL, nice! If I may ask, what are the specs of that thing?

Sure!

Intel Core i7 4790K

16GB of DDR3-Something RAM, mismatched edition

no GPU, the seller decided to sell that separately

PSU kicked the dust during configuring, I am currently waiting for the new unit to be shipped (a Gigabyte P450B, not the greatest by a long shot but the best I could get without spending too much money)

Edit: the issues I was talking about were:

Many many missing screws (the mobo was only held on by 4 screws), missing covers, a disgustingly sticky and dusty case and the mentioned trash PSU.

English is not my first language, so please excuse any confusion or misunderstandings on my end.

F@H-Stats

The Folding rig:

Linux let me down.

.- -- --- --. ..- ...         

Hello!

6 minutes ago, Schnoz said:

Ooo, nice! I personally love Haswell. Though, I'd strongly buying a $20 eBay CPU delidding tool to reapply thermal paste. 15-20 C drops in temperature are the norm with Haswell i7s running at stock speeds.

Sorry to hear that that the computer's physical condition ain't the best, though. Though I'm sure that with enough TLC, you can turn it into a very respectable system!

Also, get a GPU and put it in there. Even used GTX 1060 off eBay will outperform the CPU in F@H by several orders of magnitude.

The condition was significantly improved by rebuilding it with spare screws from my container of random screws, and running cinebench r23 for 10 minutes made it heat up to around 60-70°C.

I'll definitely look into getting a GPU, thanks for the advice!

F@H-Stats

The Folding rig:

Linux let me down.

.- -- --- --. ..- ...         

Hello!

At least once a week i have to help my boss reorganize his Outlook layout because he clicked on some random arrow that hides the sidebar etc. and he can't figure out how to get it back.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

4 hours ago, Average nerd said:

Recently I bought a used PC for F@H (which came with its own metric ton of unpleasant surprises, but that's another story), and had to convince my mom that it won't grind our home internet to a halt.

Man I have that same situation at my home. Whenever I play video games on my computer and my parents are trying to stream something on the smart TV and it buffers, they blame me for, "hogging all the bandwidth". 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

• 2 weeks later...

Happened today: A friend nervously calls me, saying: "The PC you built for me isn't working anymore".

I, now nervous, grab some tools and spare parts and maneuver myself the around 30km drive over to his place, only to find out he had plugged the HDMI cable into the mobos integrated graphics port, which his i3 13100F doesn't support.

One swapping the HDMI cable over to the graphics card later, his computer was "fixed".

F@H-Stats

The Folding rig:

Linux let me down.

.- -- --- --. ..- ...         

Hello!

11 minutes ago, Average Nerd said:

Happened today: A friend nervously calls me, saying: "The PC you built for me isn't working anymore".

I, now nervous, grab some tools and spare parts and maneuver myself the around 30km drive over to his place, only to find out he had plugged the HDMI cable into the mobos integrated graphics port, which his i3 13100F doesn't support.

One swapping the HDMI cable over to the graphics card later, his computer was "fixed".

You guys really should've Video called first or had him send you pictures of the Back of the PC and stuff. At least you got to see your friend in Person again.

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

I'm Swiss and my Mother language is Swiss German of course, I speak the Aargauer dialect. If you want to watch a great video about Swiss German which explains the language and outlines the Basics, then click here.

If I could just play Videogames and consume Cool Content all day long for the rest of my life, then that would be sick.

1 minute ago, soldier_ph said:

You guys really should've Video called first or had him send you pictures of the Back of the PC and stuff. At least you got to see your friend in Person again.

Or just ask what's going on with it lol.

Just now, soldier_ph said:

Looking back that would have been a good idea, but we made the best of it and spent the day gaming together, so there's that.

F@H-Stats

The Folding rig:

Linux let me down.

.- -- --- --. ..- ...         

Hello!

12 hours ago, Average Nerd said:

"The PC you built for me isn't working anymore".

This is why I don't build or work at friend's PCs anymore. Every time something breaks, you'll end up on the hook for support. And they always expect you to treat it as an emergency and do it pro bono.

And now a word from our sponsor: 💩

-.-. --- --- .-.. --..-- / -.-- --- ..- / -.- -. --- .-- / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. .

ᑐᑌᑐᑢ

Spoiler

▄██████                                                      ▄██▀

▄█▀   ███                                                      ██

▄██     ███                                                      ██

███   ▄████  ▄█▀  ▀██▄    ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄██   ▄████▄

███████████ ███     ███ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀████ ▄██▀ ▀███▄

████▀   ███ ▀██▄   ▄██▀ ███    ███ ███        ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███

██▄    ███ ▄ ▀██▄██▀    ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄███  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██

▀█▄    ▀█ ██▄ ▀█▀     ▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀     ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀

▄█ ▄▄      ▄█▄  █▀            █▄                   ▄██  ▄▀

▀  ██      ███                ██                    ▄█

██      ███   ▄   ▄████▄   ██▄████▄     ▄████▄   ██   ▄

██      ███ ▄██ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ███▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ██ ▄██

██     ███▀  ▄█ ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███ ██  ▄█

█▄██  ▄▄██▀    ██  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██  ██  ██

▀███████▀    ▄████▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀ ▄█████████▄

I was going around trying to see if i could desolder a laptop gpu and add a new one (couldn't find anything, also probably don't have the tools), and I can across this gold mine of laughs. 

im 90% sure the guy was messing with them but you can never be too sure.

Forum Thread

Sorry if i misinterpret or say something rude, i'm on the spectrum and have a hard time with anything social. I do my best to make sure i don't but sometimes i just cant tell.

SYSTEM SPECS

ASUS ROG STRIX B450F-II Gaming

AMD Ryzen 7 5700g

8GB Trident Z Neo RAM - 3200 MHZ

2 TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe SSD + other ssd drives totaling to 2 tb

Seagate 750W PSU Platinum Rated

Gigabyte RTX 3060 Gaming OC 12G rev 2.0

VERY FIRST COMPUTER SPECS

Broadcom BCM2711, Quad core Cortex-A72 (ARM v8) 64-bit SoC @ 1.8GHz

2GB LPDDR4-3200

2.4 GHz and 5.0 GHz IEEE 802.11ac wireless, Bluetooth 5.0, BLE
Gigabit Ethernet

yeah it was basically a raspberry pi 4 model b 2gb. I do have a 4gb now cause the 2 gb one shorted out. Still love absolutely everything about that tiny computer as its the reasons i like computers so much now and the reason i know so much about computers and how to use them.

"If debugging is the process of removing software bugs, then programming must be the process of putting them in." - Edsger Dijkstra

5 minutes ago, Grant M said:

I was going around trying to see if i could desolder a laptop gpu and add a new one (couldn't find anything, also probably don't have the tools), and I can across this gold mine of laughs. 

im 90% sure the guy was messing with them but you can never be too sure.

Forum Thread

YOU GUYS HAVE TO READ THIS.

And some people put ram in the wrong slots and call the wrong slots the wrong channels. 

Everyone makes dumb mistakes. 

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?