Experiences with non-techies

1 hour ago, deXxterlab97 said:

Actually with all those mining stuff going on I would say that is a fair price

I've seen 480 go for $350, so while I agree that miners are rising the price, $350 for a 470 is way too much IMO

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

1 minute ago, wkdpaul said:

I've seen 480 go for $350, so while I agree that miners are rising the price, $350 for a 470 is way too much IMO

4 months ago ive seen every 480 at $480.

welcome to canada ! 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

2 minutes ago, themctipers said:

4 months ago ive seen every 480 at $480.

welcome to canada ! 

Fuck ... Really???

Damn it! Wasn't checking the used market recently. :(

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

Just now, wkdpaul said:

Fuck ... Really???

Damn it! Wasn't checking the used market recently. :(

new.

new 480s for $480 in everywhere.

amazon, newegg, ncix, canada computers ..

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

46 minutes ago, themctipers said:

new.

new 480s for $480 in everywhere.

amazon, newegg, ncix, canada computers ..

but how much are they worth used

Just now, NovaMan01 said:

like i fucking know:

https://www.ebay.ca/ there you go.

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

1 hour ago, NovaMan01 said:

Probably less than they're going for.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

On 5/30/2017 at 7:50 AM, dsv1999 said:

So at my shcool we have 2 computer rooms. The one we have IT in has 12 thinstations connected to a server, 3 HP computers with C2D and with 17" CRT monitors, 2 HP EliteBook 8440p laptops without drivers, because the teacher said - "Who needs drivers? Windows has everything, you don't need to install any drivers!". When she couldn't connect to the internet - "Wired internet doen't work? What, no drivers? You don't need drivers for the cable! The latop can't connect to WiFi because the WiFi port is broken. He broke it because he touched the sticker on the laptop" 'He' is one of my classmates and he had touched the Windows 7 sticker on the laptop. Well you understand how much she knows. But there's more. All of the mentioned computers and my personal HP latop (specs in sig) are connected to a maybe 10 year old cheap router from Tenda. And guess what happens when everything is turned on and tries to connect to the router at the same time. Well the router crashes. And finally yestarday I told one of my classmates, who's a friend of mine, what the problem was. Then I told him that if we truned on the PCs one by one eveything would work. During the class he told the teacher and she agreed to try it. It worked. So today she came to us and told us - "You're right. When all the PCs try to connect at the same time it crashes, that's why the server needs more RAM!". Yes the server needs more RAM, because the router is old and crappy? And all of those thinstation PC's are using 1024x768 res on widescreen monitors with 1366x768 res, because "it looks good, else the text is too small". She just doesn't want to listen or she hears things the way she likes. She'll hopefully retire after about a month when we finish the school year.

i would drop out

On 5/15/2017 at 10:01 AM, matrix07012 said:

ow6zDk3.png.6db1473993f4170d3dcd6902281621ce.png

Uhm. UHM... U H M...

If you get 5 FPS in a game, lets assume its safe to say your PC just can't really run it.
And if you are fine with 5 FPS then you gotta come over here and see a better world

56 minutes ago, NovaMan01 said:

Uhm. UHM... U H M...

If you get 5 FPS in a game, lets assume its safe to say your PC just can't really run it.
And if you are fine with 5 FPS then you gotta come over here and see a better world

No, it's really the thing that says "I have a faster perception of time". That's not normal. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

1 minute ago, Jamiec1130 said:

No, it's really the thing that says "I have a faster perception of time". That's not normal. 

265371322866073601.png

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

Just now, Drak3 said:

AMD needs to get into the vacuum business, and name their first line Ryzen as well. Woowie has their marketing for them.

Screen Shot 2017-06-09 at 8.38.24 PM.png

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

Just now, themctipers said:

I side with AMD in this scenario, especially if they can make Lawrence from Ratchet & Clank Future real, for my loyalty.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

4 hours ago, themctipers said:

I would go and work for AMD now. This seems interesting and fun. Everyone shall be my slaves.

Build

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1600, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Gigabyte X470 Gaming 7. TeamGroup Viper 4133mhz 16gb, XFX RX 480 8 GB (1000mhz cause dying), Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB M.2 SSD, An old 1tb 5400 rpm 2.5" HDD, TeamGroup 480gb & Kingston 480gb ssds (May RAID 0), 1TB Western Ditigal HDD, EVGA 750W G2 PSU, Phanteks P400s

----------X-----------X------------

My experience as a non-techie from 10 years ago. 

I got a single slot XFX GeForce 8800 GT Alpha Dog in a pre-built HP (no airflow, a single small fan on CPU) the card already hits near 100°C in FurMark, I'm thinking this is normal, starting to overclock, I remember trying to game at 104-106°C, basically, the motherboard got fried and that was the beginning of my custom PC building journey.

I had a discussion with a coworker the other day where they stated that they prefer consoles over PC because consoles have a better frame rate...

I had a debate with a friend who said amd has worse quailty gaming because of more power compustion and higher thermals. Saying that my r9 380 died because of this low quailty gaming. Well if u have a heavily overclocked nvidia gpu and your computer starts boot looping and u dont realize u have dead gpu fan, it is gonna go up in flames too. 

Though i still dont know what actual happened though. But i know i had a corrupt bios. Maybe that shot a lot of voltage through the PCI-E slot when starting up because when ever I try and install the display drivers, windows crashes with display driver stuck something...(dont remember the error message). But it works fine on the Microsoft stock drivers.

Build

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1600, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Gigabyte X470 Gaming 7. TeamGroup Viper 4133mhz 16gb, XFX RX 480 8 GB (1000mhz cause dying), Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB M.2 SSD, An old 1tb 5400 rpm 2.5" HDD, TeamGroup 480gb & Kingston 480gb ssds (May RAID 0), 1TB Western Ditigal HDD, EVGA 750W G2 PSU, Phanteks P400s

6 hours ago, MysticLTT said:

My experience as a non-techie from 10 years ago. 

I got a single slot XFX GeForce 8800 GT Alpha Dog in a pre-built HP (no airflow, a single small fan on CPU) the card already hits near 100°C in FurMark, I'm thinking this is normal, starting to overclock, I remember trying to game at 104-106°C, basically, the motherboard got fried and that was the beginning of my custom PC building journey.

i have an 8800GT, never goes above 50C in furmark lol. has a pretty big passive heatsink on it :P 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

1 minute ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

i have an 8800GT, never goes above 50C in furmark lol. has a pretty big passive heatsink on it :P 

I have a 8400 GS

we don't talk about it. 

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

5 hours ago, DeezNoNos said:

I had a debate with a friend who said amd has worse quailty gaming because of more power compustion and higher thermals. Saying that my r9 380 died because of this low quailty gaming. Well if u have a heavily overclocked nvidia gpu and your computer starts boot looping and u dont realize u have dead gpu fan, it is gonna go up in flames too. 

Though i still dont know what actual happened though. But i know i had a corrupt bios. Maybe that shot a lot of voltage through the PCI-E slot when starting up because when ever I try and install the display drivers, windows crashes with display driver stuck something...(dont remember the error message). But it works fine on the Microsoft stock drivers.

make a power board out of it, its pretty fun to do IMO. 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

1 hour ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

it is still under warranty

Build

Spoiler

Just now, DeezNoNos said:

it is still under warranty

then return it

Builds:

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

then return it

But first i need to get to canada because the shipping from pakistan is like $300 USD

Build

Spoiler

5 hours ago, DeezNoNos said:

But first i need to get to canada because the shipping from pakistan is like $300 USD

Do you do it by road? (Ignoring the imaginary road between europe or africa to canada....)

Ryzen 7 3700X / 16GB RAM / Optane SSD / GTX 1650 / Solus Linux

On June 8, 2017 at 5:46 AM, wax2142 said:

Ok maybe let me help you on that. what determines the power of a graphics card is most often the GPU ( as in the actual GPU chip die on the graphics card itself) essentially, you can think of a Graphics Card as a secondary computer that is purpose build to handle floating point calculations and transformation matrices and other heavily parallelised tasks, it has it's own "CPU" (actually the GPU itself) and RAM (VRAM in this case).

But how can we use an analogy to illustrate this point? Well consider this. if you have a system with a Core 2 Duo E4700 with 8GB of DDR2 vs a system with an i7-7700K with only 4GB of DDR4 all other things being equal. Well surely in scenarios where we use less than 4GB of RAM the i7 will completely destroy the core 2 duo. Same concept. What VRAM size does affect is the resolution and detail setting that you can effectively use the card for before it starts to take a penalty to performance. In essence, the VRAM is there so that relevant information is quickly addressed and accessed by the GPU itself. much like RAM having excess does nothing for performance, but having insufficient will tank performance.

In essence, what happens when VRAM limit is exceeded is that the leftover information has to be cached in system RAM instead. Now system RAM will be slower because A-it is clocked slower that VRAM and B- that information has to travel a long way from System memory through all the various motherboard bus lanes and PCI-e lanes before reaching the GPU itself to be processed. 

If you're interested, check out this video by gamers nexus, it should give you a better understanding on comparing GPU performance.

I think a lot of what's in that video is above my understanding..  ?

I'm still unclear what all affects GPU performance.  

On June 9, 2017 at 1:46 AM, DeezNoNos said:

YOU WANT TO KNOW WHAT TRIGGERES ME?

THIS IS?

random person: Heeey, MAN, can you give me a USB.  

Me: Sure, just give me a few million dollars and I WILL GIVE YOU USB. 

A usb what?  lol

On June 9, 2017 at 1:59 PM, wkdpaul said:

Jesus I can't believe some people ... was in the classified section of a Canadian forum, saw a post for a Strix RX 470.

Somehow this guy thinks his 470 is worth $350 (Canadian pesos) because he found an ebay auction where people (over)bid that same card to $425 CAD.

W T F !?!??!

For $350 CAD I can buy a brand new 8GB RX 580, WHY, JUST WHHYYYYYY would I pay that much for a USED RX 470?????

It's like any time someone is selling used hardware they think they've won the lottery and can charge whatever they want.  lol

20 hours ago, DeezNoNos said:

I would go and work for AMD now. This seems interesting and fun. Everyone shall be my slaves.

Can kitties work at AMD?  ?

11 hours ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

What's that?