Experiences with non-techies

7 minutes ago, matrix07012 said:

When I saw the campaign, I was like: "Oh, this is pretty cool". Then I thought about it for few seconds and even without doing math or having advanced physics knowledge, I figured out that it is useless bullshit. Come on people, do you even think for a second before pulling out your wallet?

that is exactly what people do.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

3 hours ago, NumLock21 said:

idiot just lost $2,000 by throwing away all that gold. :P

And my mom's monitor can do 900P.

Wow, yeah I just watched that and that is the most pathetic shredder I've ever seen.  It's built to look exactly like those uber shredders that'll take literally anything, but in reality it's weaker than your average paper shredder xD 

And I highly doubt there was $2000 worth of gold in there unless he started chucking in gold bricks towards the end that I didn't watch :P 

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

4 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Wow, yeah I just watched that and that is the most pathetic shredder I've ever seen.  It's built to look exactly like those uber shredders that'll take literally anything, but in reality it's weaker than your average paper shredder xD 

And I highly doubt there was $2000 worth of gold in there unless he started chucking in gold bricks towards the end that I didn't watch :P 

Of course it wasn't $2K, but you can get some out of it.

http://www.tomshardware.com/picturestory/576-gold-silver-cpu.html

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

1 hour ago, NumLock21 said:

Of course it wasn't $2K, but you can get some out of it.

http://www.tomshardware.com/picturestory/576-gold-silver-cpu.html

Yeah, some is more like it :P  Look at that huge pile of CPUs they melted down, and in the end, they had a ball of gold like 2 mm in diameter, which, if it's pure, is worth 0.4 cents $4.18 (correction below) by my calculation xD 

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

On June 8, 2016 at 11:19 AM, DirtyDane said:

okay im back again too lazy to read everything abck there but i will say that i found this gem. 

the title makes me cringe. "IT parts" lol

Why, why WHY?!?!? I mean those are some pieces of hardware I'd love to have.... Not sure what that first thing was though it looked like a ram stick, but then that AMD CPU.... Must have been an Athlon XP or something.... And I don't know what that second one was but I would have loved to have had that.... And there was an agp card that did who knows what and a ram stick that wasn't even DDR! Why......

And I don't know what that Intel thing was, but it looked like something awesome.....

Why can't these people have some respect for these old pieces of hardware.....

I cringed when I watched the two CPUs go through the shredder.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

1 hour ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Yeah, some is more like it :P  Look at that huge pile of CPUs they melted down, and in the end, they had a ball of gold like 2 mm in diameter, which, if it's pure, is worth 0.4 cents by my calculation xD 

Not really 0.4 cents.... By my calculations probably somewhere around 10-20 dollars ish depending on purity.

Of course, I could've made some mistakes :P but I think it's right.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Spoiler

9 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

Not really 0.4 cents.... By my calculations probably somewhere around 10-20 dollars ish depending on purity.

Of course, I could've made some mistakes :P but I think it's right.

I could have made a mistake... let's work it out:

• 2 mm diameter = 0.001 m radius
  • (4/3)pi(r3) = volume = 4.189 x 10-9 m3 
  • Gold price = 51632.53 $/kg
  • Gold density = 19320 kg / m3

You're right I did make a huge mistake: it should have been $4.18

Still, that's not much :P 

2 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Lol you just made me realize I also made a mistake.... I used 2mm as the radius xD.

So my calculations were off by a factor of 8, so it's more like 2-3 dollar ish.

Also, you forgot about purity in your calculations :P.

So it'd be around 3 dollars or so. That's a quite negligible amount of money.

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

1 minute ago, DocSwag said:

Lol you just made me realize I also made a mistake.... I used 2mm as the radius xD.

So my calculations were off by a factor of 8, so it's more like 2-3 dollar ish.

Also, you forgot about purity in your calculations :P.

So it'd be around 3 dollars or so. That's a quite negligible amount of money.

This is why engineers work in teams xD 

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

This is why engineers work in teams xD 

Yup, for sure :D 

Otherwise they would probably make so many mistakes that nothing would ever get done......

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

10 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

that's actually not enough, just the energy needed (they used a torch) to melt this and all the chemicals needed, that's underwhelming, you would need to process A LOT of chips to make that profitable!

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

back to the non-techies ...

So I talked about it, but there's a small used hardware / recycling shop I often look at in case they have a deal I might like, just saw that;

a Dell Optiplex 780, no RAM, no HD, also in the description it says "updated to Windows 10" ... updated, yet it doesn't have a HDD!!! lollll

And no, before anyone points it out, they don't do the update themselves, so it's not a "pre-updated before we removed the HDD" thing, I know because I've sent a few people their way and they actually wipe the drives, so there is no Windows install on these PCs!!!

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

23 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

that's actually not enough, just the energy needed (they used a torch) to melt this and all the chemicals needed, that's underwhelming, you would need to process A LOT of chips to make that profitable!

I know it's not enough :P  My point was that the huge pile of CPUs gets you hardly any gold at all :)

2 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Yeah, some is more like it :P  Look at that huge pile of CPUs they melted down, and in the end, they had a ball of gold like 2 mm in diameter, which, if it's pure, is worth 0.4 cents $4.18 (correction below) by my calculation xD 

At you get 418 shiny pennies. :D

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

On 8-6-2016 at 8:03 AM, Principis said:

They are just trying to scare people it's stupid... My country (Belgium) has a serious energy problem... We have to buy electricity from France...

But because of our uninformed population that is always whining about nuclear energy we are closing our reactors and are not building new ones which makes it even worse....

It's impossible to power a country with wind and solar alone...

In my town there's a power plant generating your electricity lol.

On 9-6-2016 at 10:19 PM, wkdpaul said:

back to the non-techies ...

So I talked about it, but there's a small used hardware / recycling shop I often look at in case they have a deal I might like, just saw that;

a Dell Optiplex 780, no RAM, no HD, also in the description it says "updated to Windows 10" ... updated, yet it doesn't have a HDD!!! lollll

And no, before anyone points it out, they don't do the update themselves, so it's not a "pre-updated before we removed the HDD" thing, I know because I've sent a few people their way and they actually wipe the drives, so there is no Windows install on these PCs!!!

There must have been people buying these things and go like "WTF THIS PC DOESN'T WORK"

I was very close to watching a guy get a Darwin award.

So I worked at an electronics store and we get all sorts of people bringing in half broken c*** that they thing our magic wizardly hands can fix for them.

I was sat at the back and this guy walks up-to the counter and it goes a bit like this:

Darwin nominee: "Can you help me out with this component I think its a called a capacitor?"

Myself: "Sure, do you have it with you so I can have look?" (At this point I was expecting him to pull out a small capacitor like the ones you would find on a motherboard)

Darwin nominee: (Reaches into pocket and pulls out a capacitor and hands it in my direction) "Here it is" he said

Myself: "Wow, that's a big capacitor" (I can't remember the exact values of it but It was something like 440v motor run capacitor) I then say "I'm assuming you have discharged it?"

Darwin nominee: And I s*** you not his response was "I'm not really sure? What do you mean?"

Myself: (Right now Im nervous) "Okay, don't touch the metal ends and put it on the table" 

At this point I proceed to find a screwdriver with a reasonably insulated handle.

I touch the two ends of the capacitor together with a screwdriver and it flashes and leaves some fairly obvious burn marks on the screwdriver head.

How this guy managed to get a fully charged capacitor from the equipment, into his pocket, and into my store without being electrocuted to death I do not know. 

So moral of that story, be very careful when you take anything mains powered apart! Especially ATX PSU's they have capacitors in them also.

My brother came up to me with a USB drive and said "where do I put your graphics card?"

✨PC Specs✨

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X | MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus | 16GB Team T-Force 3400MHz | Zotac GTX 1080 AMP EXTREME

BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | NZXT 750W | Phanteks Eclipse P400A

Extras: ASUS Zephyrus G14 (2021) | OnePlus 7 Pro | Fully restored Robosapien V2, Omnibot 2000, Omnibot 5402

2 hours ago, jonsmith9847 said:

-snip-

this is why i wonder how the hell the idiots of this world have not killed them selves off yet

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

2 hours ago, jonsmith9847 said:

snip

The effects of /k/, last night's barbecue, the engineer in me, and a bit of alcohol made this thought possible.

If I loaded a charged capacitor in a shotgun shell and fired it, could I make a long range tazer? Could I make a single-use cattle prod by taping a capacitor on the end of a stick? Could I take a M18 Claymore and replace the steel balls with capacitors that will shock anyone in the area of effect?

I should probably go to sleep.

Adults are just kids with bigger wallets.

My experience with non-techies is having a friend who decided at a birthday party to buy norton antivirus and also accidentally install a ton of adware and malware. I decided it was my duty to clean up and spent the birthday party cleaning his computer with some good anti-virus/malware tools. I wish I never went to the party. Mind you he also bought an i7-4790 with an R7 240.

Don't trust this maniac, I think he is a crazed tech addict on the loose.

Specs: none

Will upgrade l8r.

3 hours ago, J. Hammond said:

The effects of /k/, last night's barbecue, the engineer in me, and a bit of alcohol made this thought possible.

If I loaded a charged capacitor in a shotgun shell and fired it, could I make a long range tazer? Could I make a single-use cattle prod by taping a capacitor on the end of a stick? Could I take a M18 Claymore and replace the steel balls with capacitors that will shock anyone in the area of effect?

I should probably go to sleep.

All of them are possible.  But, most capacitors only stay charged for a brief period, hours or so.  It wouldn't be easy to keep them charged for those uses, and someone already made a taser shell for shotguns:

taser-shotgun-diagram1.jpg

Mystery is the source of all true science.

3 minutes ago, Sors said:

Most capacitors only stay charged for a brief period, hours or so.  It wouldn't be easy to keep them charged for those uses, and someone already made a taser shell for shotguns:

taser-shotgun-diagram1.jpg

Unless we're gonna start using this on people who forget where the start button is, this has gotten really off topic xD 

1 hour ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Unless we're gonna start using this on people who forget where the start button is, this has gotten really off topic xD 

Ah good use for this shotgun would be those people that reply "an Acer" to the question "what laptop do you have?"

"An Acer" isn't helping me a lot, Acer has been making laptops since I don't know how long and has released all kinds of different laptops.