Experiences with non-techies

3 minutes ago, dcb-z said:

A guy on another forum I'm a part of is complaining about iTunes running terribly. He has an i7 4770 and only 2GB of RAM. We told him that his RAM was probably the bottleneck, and he said that RAM was too expensive and he has other things to spend money on.

lol like a 4770 that's useless because he doesn't have enough ram to run any program that needs it :P

Honestly, I'm impressed he managed to even find a machine with that combination.  I never would have believed that anyone would pair that with less than 4 GB, so either he really shopped around or it's a (terrible) custom build :D

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

lol like a 4770 that's useless because he doesn't have enough ram to run any program that needs it :P

Honestly, I'm impressed he managed to even find a machine with that combination.  I never would have believed that anyone would pair that with less than 4 GB, so either he really shopped around or it's a (terrible) custom build :D

I asked him about it and he's saying that Amazon messed the order up.

QUOTE when replying to others / Quality over Quantity in your posts / Avoid ambiguous topic titles

Desktop: "Shockwave" Core i7-5820K / GTX 970 SSC / ASUS X99 Deluxe / 16GB DDR4 / 120GB Samsung 850 EVO / 2TB WD Black Caviar
Laptop:  "Archippos"  Dell XPS 15:  Core i7-7700HQ  /  GTX 1050  /  16GB DDR4  /  512GB NVMe PCI-E SSD

5 minutes ago, dcb-z said:

I asked him about it and he's saying that Amazon messed the order up.

I wouldn't call it "messing up an order"

*buys a 4170 and gets a 4770* = amazing xD

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

Just now, wkdpaul said:

I wouldn't call it "messing up an order"

*buys a 4170 and gets a 4770* = amazing xD

He apparently ordered an "i5 33something" and wound up with an i7.

QUOTE when replying to others / Quality over Quantity in your posts / Avoid ambiguous topic titles

Desktop: "Shockwave" Core i7-5820K / GTX 970 SSC / ASUS X99 Deluxe / 16GB DDR4 / 120GB Samsung 850 EVO / 2TB WD Black Caviar
Laptop:  "Archippos"  Dell XPS 15:  Core i7-7700HQ  /  GTX 1050  /  16GB DDR4  /  512GB NVMe PCI-E SSD

On ‎2016‎-‎01‎-‎21 at 2:55 PM, woofpack said:

When I was building my first computer my dad was watching me pick out parts to make sure I didn't go way out of budget. When I put the video card in the cart and he realized that it was about 70% of my budget he protested saying "aren't graphics cards the type of part that's really expensive when they come out and then cost like $100 less in a year?" 

I replied "Often yes"

"Then why are you spending so much on a graphics card when it's gonna cost $100 less next year?"

He kept repeating that no matter what graphics card I showed him and it took an absurd amount of convincing to get him to approve of my choice.

To this day he thinks that nobody should ever buy graphics cards since they lose value over time

WTH? That's your money, you did the research and all that stuff, if you want to spend it he shouldn't have a word to say. At least that's how I was raised. not sayihng your father is not a good father thought, it's just that if he would have said that to me I would had said "HEY, THAT CAR YOU BOUGHT LAST WEEK HAS ALREADY LOST HALF ITS VALUE' U MAD FATHER!?!"

I'm taking this way too seriously.

53 minutes ago, dcb-z said:

Omg that's awesome :D

Regardless, unless amazon left out half or more of the RAM he ordered, the 2 GB is his fault for being dumb and he should get more... :P it's really one of the cheapest PC parts you can get, especially when you're buying 8 GB or less of it!

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

10 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Omg that's awesome :D

-snippy snippet-

this has nothing to do with your post, but for the longest of times I've tried to find out what that racoon 6:1 thing is about, but all the google indexes go to this forum, care to tell us?

Computer's don't make errors. What they do, they do on purpose.

3 hours ago, matjojo said:

this has nothing to do with your post, but for the longest of times I've tried to find out what that racoon 6:1 thing is about, but all the google indexes go to this forum, care to tell us?

Lol yeah I'm not surprised that didn't come up anywhere :D

Ever seen/heard or a show called Dragon's Den?  Basically people pitch business ideas to 5 possible investors in hopes of getting a deal.  Well on one episode, some one was pitching a business centred around a new trash compactor that they claimed could do 6:1, vs the typical ones on the market that could only do about 3:1.  Someone brought up the concern of what happens if an animal gets into it, but the inventor discounted that saying nothing can get into it, and basically at the end of that segment as the guys walking away, Kevin said "I still want to hear what a racoon sounds like compressed 6:1" :P  I always thought it would be a great quote because of how strange it would sound out of context, especially considering who it's coming from.  In case you're wondering, the other one I got the same way :)

15 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

It sounds like you are mirroring your phone's display - that's the only way the resolution or shape of your "host" device could affect what you see on the TV.  You're supposed to just hit the "cast" button (honestly a bad and confusing name), which does't actually send the image from your device to the chromecast - it just tells the chromecast what you were watching (which youtube video, etc.) and it then starts playing it on it's own.  If that doesn't look right, then your TV has some overscan or aspect ratio setting set wrong.

nope i used cast it still does it...

“I am Holo the Wise Wolf. I know that there are things in this world that I do not know and that makes me wise!”

Spoiler

Use the following style specs for your profile!
Screeninator:  Asus GeForce GTX 750Ti 2GB
Powermathingy: EVGA 500W
Stickaminator: Crucial 16GB 「4x4GB」DDR3-1600
Procrastinator: Intel i5-4460 3.2ghz
Holdametalicizor:  Corsair 200R 
Noisoundacreator:  Razer kracken pro
Attatchamajiggy :  Asrock H97 Anniversairy ATX LGA1150
Remembrerthing:  i've got a-lot of drives
Flat-Colorful-Thing:  LG not actually sure the model of it
See-A-Move-O: Razer Mamba 2012
ButtonBoard:  Razer Deathstalker 

My old teacher used to tell us this story about his time working in a call center (No way to see if its real or an urban legend). He explained that a caller rang to say that her complimentary mug holder had broken and that she needed a replacement. After 30 mins of searching for the supposed product he called the manager as at this point the woman was shouting at him. The manger said there was no such offer on the system and they company did not supply mug holders. At this point she said it came built in with her computer. Intrigued the manager put the call on loudspeaker so the other technicians could help solve the problem. When the woman explained that the mug holder came out of the computer when a button is pressed on the from of the computer all the technicians supposedly laughed so hard the woman on the phone got really mad. The manager had to transfer the call to his office and explain what the mug holder was really for (CD ROM Drive) and that she wouldn't be getting a replacement.

We never believed his but boy did we get a laugh from his stories.  

MSI Nightblade MI2

CPU: Intel i7 6700. Motherboard: MSI B060. RAM: 16GB HyperX Impact. GPU: MSI Geforce GTX 970. Case: Nightblade MI2. Storage: 2x 1TB WD Blue, OCZ 120GB and 125GB M.2. PSU: Custom 350w Bronze. Display(s): BenQ 24" & 50" Samsung TV. Keyboard: Logitech G15. Mouse: Logitech MX Revolution. Operating System: Windows 10 Pro x64

47 minutes ago, Ruhel said:

My old teacher used to tell us this story about his time working in a call center (No way to see if its real or an urban legend). He explained that a caller rang to say that her complimentary mug holder had broken and that she needed a replacement. After 30 mins of searching for the supposed product he called the manager as at this point the woman was shouting at him. The manger said there was no such offer on the system and they company did not supply mug holders. At this point she said it came built in with her computer. Intrigued the manager put the call on loudspeaker so the other technicians could help solve the problem. When the woman explained that the mug holder came out of the computer when a button is pressed on the from of the computer all the technicians supposedly laughed so hard the woman on the phone got really mad. The manager had to transfer the call to his office and explain what the mug holder was really for (CD ROM Drive) and that she wouldn't be getting a replacement.

That's a real classic joke. I would guess it's not a true story from your teacher... but it is a brilliant one!

16 hours ago, dcb-z said:

My friend ordered an i5-4690K and got an i7-4790K from Amazon. I thought he was the only one, but apparently not.

Spoiler

Future build:

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/kGgNJx

Current build: (laptop)

Specs:
Screeninator: Intel Graphics 5500
Stickaminator: Hyandai 12GB DDR3 RAM (1x8GB, 1x4GB)
Procrastinator: Intel i5-5500U @ 2.2 GHz
Noisoundacreator: TURTLE BEACH PX4
Remembrerthing: WD 1TB Blue HDD
Flat-Colorful-Thing: Samsung SyncMaster 2323Y
See-A-Move-O: Tecknet M288

4 hours ago, DirtyDane said:

nope i used cast it still does it...

Then I have to imagine something on the TV is not set quite right... how do things look if you plug a computer in through HDMI?

4 hours ago, Ruhel said:

Oh I would definitely believe that one.  There's pictures like this for a reason! :D

Capture.PNG

2 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Then I have to imagine something on the TV is not set quite right... how do things look if you plug a computer in through HDMI?

Oh I would definitely believe that one.  There's pictures like this for a reason! :D

Capture.PNG

thanks for the great solution! I was looking for something to hold my drink so I wouldn't spill it on my PC!!!!!!!! THANKS!!!!!!!! ;)

Was having a coffee at the local Tim Horton's reading on my tablet when this older lady walked up and asked me if I could help her with her phone. (I dont look techy, but do get questioned all the time)

Apparently she was given directions to a family members house, but did not know how to enter it into her phone to use the GPS. I asked her for her phone (looked like a s4 on easy mode), proceeded to hold home, said, OK Google... Take me to this bla bla bla address, blam done.

She was amazed...

My AMD Build:

Spoiler

FX 6300 @ 4.8GHz, Zalman CNPS14X, MSI 970 Gaming, 16gb 1866MHz AData Ram, 3D Club R9 280X, Corsair 600M Psu, Thermaltake V3 AMD Edition Case, D-link 1200AC WiFi, 240gb Mushkin SSD, 2tb WD HDD, 140gb WD HDD (recording gameplay), 5x CoolerMaster SickleFlow 120mm fans, Windows 10 64Bit

Sisters Intel Build:

Spoiler

I7 4790k @ 4.4GHz, CoolerMaster 212 Evo, Gigabyte Gaming 5, 16gb 1866MHz Corsair Ram, 3D Club R9 390, EVGA 650GS Psu, NZXT S340 Case, D-Link 1200AC WiFi Card, HyperX 240gb SSD, 2tb WD HDD, Windows 10 64 Bit

49 minutes ago, ShiftHitTheFan said:

Was having a coffee at the local Tim Horton's reading on my tablet when this older lady walked up and asked me if I could help her with her phone. (I dont look techy, but do get questioned all the time)

Apparently she was given directions to a family members house, but did not know how to enter it into her phone to use the GPS. I asked her for her phone (looked like a s4 on easy mode), proceeded to hold home, said, OK Google... Take me to this bla bla bla address, blam done.

She was amazed...

Google now is pretty impressive in that regard.

My grandma's hard drive in her desktop failed and the computer was booting directly into bios. She started yelling at me to "get out of that and boot the computer". I tried to tell her that she couldn't. Determined that she could boot into windows, she took the mouse and started messing with the fan speed for about 20 minutes. It was the most frustrating thing I've ever had to watch. 

Spoiler

Gtx 980ti | Amd Fx-8350 | 2x8g Kingston Hyperx Fury | Samsung 850 evo |

2 minutes ago, 406House said:

My grandma's hard drive in her desktop failed and the computer was booting directly into bios. She started yelling at me to "get out of that and boot the computer". I tried to tell her that she couldn't. Determined that she could boot into windows, she took the mouse and started messing with the fan speed for about 20 minutes. It was the most frustrating thing I've ever had to watch. 

That's pretty funny... in my experience, people who don't know what they are doing (and know that they don't) generally are too afraid to try anything new, which can be terrible since it means they tend to never learn anything on their own, but it can avoid situations like this :D

5 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Capture.PNG

okay first off yes i have tried that and its fine and second off. i think we should make this a thing. someone needs to manufacture disk drive like cup holders for desktops that look like disk drives but function like a really good cup holder and reinforce it and everything. i would totally get one

“I am Holo the Wise Wolf. I know that there are things in this world that I do not know and that makes me wise!”

Spoiler

right now im more busy trying to figure out what the hell is going on with my mouse. its a razer mamba and its response time while connected to the rear i/0 is 17ms yet my laptop gets 1-3.5ms and for the longest time my desktop did too im still trying to figure out if its hardware or software thats causing it since its really getting on my nerves lol i play osu! a really freaking percise rythm game where being as much as 1ms can mean the difference between a perfect score on that song or taking a lower score.

and because there will always be non beleivers ... this is the kinda shit i put up with 

well not quite at this level but im pretty good at it so i kinda need that response time. so im religated to playing on a laptop with a screen that flashes ........... because theres some kind of internal error with a wire somewhere and im too lazy to replace it

i mean  guuuuessssss i could get a drawing tablet ... but those...i... what would i do with it aside from that 

Spoiler

11 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Lol yeah I'm not surprised that didn't come up anywhere :D

Ever seen/heard or a show called Dragon's Den?  Basically people pitch business ideas to 5 possible investors in hopes of getting a deal.  Well on one episode, some one was pitching a business centred around a new trash compactor that they claimed could do 6:1, vs the typical ones on the market that could only do about 3:1.  Someone brought up the concern of what happens if an animal gets into it, but the inventor discounted that saying nothing can get into it, and basically at the end of that segment as the guys walking away, Kevin said "I still want to hear what a racoon sounds like compressed 6:1" :P  I always thought it would be a great quote because of how strange it would sound out of context, especially considering who it's coming from.  In case you're wondering, the other one I got the same way :)

Wait is it called Dragon's Den in Canada?! In the US there's a show on ABC called Shark Tank where some startups propose new products and services to 5 extremely wealthy people, and one of them is named Kevin O'Leary. He has gray hair, going bald, and is nicknamed "Mr.Wonderful". Is there ABC in Canada? That'd be weird.

10 hours ago, Ruhel said:

Dude this happens way more often than it should. It happens wayy too often. To be frank though, I'm a little surprised that 8 year olds aren't making this same mistake and that elderly people are

3 hours ago, 406House said:

Maybe the magic fairy dust is too hot! Better turn up the fan to cool it down! Better yet, I'll put some ice in it!

43 minutes ago, DirtyDane said:

okay first off yes i have tried that and its fine and second off. i think we should make this a thing. someone needs to manufacture disk drive like cup holders for desktops that look like disk drives but function like a really good cup holder and reinforce it and everything. i would totally get one

You know what, I'm sure SOMEONE somewhere has thought about making a cup holder into your 5.25in tray

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

9 minutes ago, Fgtfv567 said:

Wait is it called Dragon's Den in Canada?! In the US there's a show on ABC called Shark Tank where some startups propose new products and services to 5 extremely wealthy people, and one of them is named Kevin O'Leary. He has gray hair, going bald, and is nicknamed "Mr.Wonderful". Is there ABC in Canada? That'd be weird.

Dude this happens way more often than it should. It happens wayy too often. To be frank though, I'm a little surprised that 8 year olds aren't making this same mistake and that elderly people are

Maybe the magic fairy dust is too hot! Better turn up the fan to cool it down! Better yet, I'll put some ice in it!

You know what, I'm sure SOMEONE somewhere has thought about making a cup holder into your 5.25in tray

oh im sure. BUT are they selling?

Spoiler

Just now, DirtyDane said:

oh im sure. BUT are they selling?

http://www.amazon.com/Thermaltake-A2021-Beverage-Cigarette-Lighter/dp/B0002F8WLM/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8

Well they do exist. Seeing how it's unavailable and how 5/6 reviews are 5 stars and 1/6 reviews are 4 stars, I think it's doing pretty well 

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

2 minutes ago, Fgtfv567 said:

http://www.amazon.com/Thermaltake-A2021-Beverage-Cigarette-Lighter/dp/B0002F8WLM/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8

Well they do exist. Seeing how it's unavailable and how 5/6 reviews are 5 stars and 1/6 reviews are 4 stars, I think it's doing pretty well 

one problem ...

Currently unavailable. 
We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock.

Spoiler