Experiences with non-techies

Just now, Str_Mape said:

indeedio, if they open a store down here I'll jump on that super quickly.

I live there as-well, but that would cost quite a lot to get a store here.

1 hour ago, Str_Mape said:
*points at 980 ti*
"My laptop has 16GB, can I put one of these in it and make it gaming"

-_-

Actually if the laptop can connect to an eGPU enclosure like the razer core, then yes it is possible

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

1 hour ago, Fgtfv567 said:

Actually if the laptop can connect to an eGPU enclosure like the razer core, then yes it is possible

well, that's coming, but that wouldn't be "in" it now would it ;)

Besides, we all know what was really going on: they thought they could install a 980ti in their laptop.  Just no. :P

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

its 2:06 am im tired and still trying to have this poor woman who is having trouble with her first ever computer (she really screwed it up in the one month shes had it) i dont even want to read the posts before this i cant pay attention to it im that tired. it wont allow me to do a fresh install of windows. a boil down of some of the issue i had that lead me to my sleep deprived state im in now is over here >>>> 

and i mean its just... i dont know anymore it scares me how much damage people can do yet i go to challange myself to see how much shit malware etc i can get on a vm in 10 minutes and i cant even get 20........... 

its all fun and games to talk about non techies till your actually fixing their stuff..... 

but i swear there was like the strangest stuff on that thing at first, she must have hit an ad telling her to install this program and then go forward from there or something. 

as long as i have my blade and soul, subnautica, and youtube. i should be able to keep my sanity through this night of whatching progress bars for installations that are bound to fail and repeat

“I am Holo the Wise Wolf. I know that there are things in this world that I do not know and that makes me wise!”

Spoiler

Use the following style specs for your profile!
Screeninator:  Asus GeForce GTX 750Ti 2GB
Powermathingy: EVGA 500W
Stickaminator: Crucial 16GB 「4x4GB」DDR3-1600
Procrastinator: Intel i5-4460 3.2ghz
Holdametalicizor:  Corsair 200R 
Noisoundacreator:  Razer kracken pro
Attatchamajiggy :  Asrock H97 Anniversairy ATX LGA1150
Remembrerthing:  i've got a-lot of drives
Flat-Colorful-Thing:  LG not actually sure the model of it
See-A-Move-O: Razer Mamba 2012
ButtonBoard:  Razer Deathstalker 

i think im suffering from that late night troubleshooting depression or low. that feeling where you wish you had just gotten into knitting or something but no your stuck with 4 laptops a desktop and harvest moon on your ds trying to fix someones pc by a deadline you said you could meet but didnt realize you where no where near being able to accomplish

“I am Holo the Wise Wolf. I know that there are things in this world that I do not know and that makes me wise!”

Spoiler

IM FINNALY DONE!!!!! its 8:37 am and i have had the One Punch Man theme on repeat the entire time. i think that was the one thing keeping me from loosing my sanity through this endevor but it is done... i can now collapse on the ground and soak in the glory as i have Liberated this machine from its owner and am now basking in the IT mans (or womans whichever floats yer boat) high that you get after a long night of tourbleshooting and finding success! i have made it through 2 years in harvest moon and managed to pull 19 dungeons in blade and soul. i have managed to break subnautica and even start setting up my secondary laptop.

the only thing i havent accomplished is my homework...

*dies 

Spoiler

I mentioned to my friend the other day that just got an i7-4790k / 970 / 8gb ram build that I had 12Gb of RAM in my new laptop because I was getting really annoyed at my school's desktops only having 1gb of ddr2 memory, that can barely run anything, and he turns to me and goes:

"WOW! 12Gb of RAM!! you could run GTA V on that!"

*facepalm*

BTW my laptop is nowhere near capable of running GTA V, with a i5-5500U and integrated graphics.. 

Spoiler

Future build:

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/kGgNJx

Current build: (laptop)

Specs:
Screeninator: Intel Graphics 5500
Stickaminator: Hyandai 12GB DDR3 RAM (1x8GB, 1x4GB)
Procrastinator: Intel i5-5500U @ 2.2 GHz
Noisoundacreator: TURTLE BEACH PX4
Remembrerthing: WD 1TB Blue HDD
Flat-Colorful-Thing: Samsung SyncMaster 2323Y
See-A-Move-O: Tecknet M288

Just now, cferns1 said:

I mentioned to my friend the other day that just got an i7-4790k / 970 / 8gb ram build that I had 12Gb of RAM in my new laptop because I was getting really annoyed at my school's desktops only having 1gb of ddr2 memory, that can barely run anything, and he turns to me and goes:

*facepalm*

BTW my laptop is nowhere near capable of running GTA V, with a i5-5500U and integrated graphics.. 

NAH MAN THAT THERES A BITCOIN MINING RIG ITS JUST AMAZING I MEAN LOOK AT THOSE GRAPHICS you and i both know the strongest graphics cards in the world cant compete with built in integrated genuine graphics i mean just WOW you know i play crisis on a pentium at 320000 fps DUDE i mean theres nothing stronger.

lol in all seriousness those are one of the things i would just kindly try to correct them on then move on. 

i still have that homework to do and im still looping the One Punch Man theme .... is that sad

Spoiler

15 minutes ago, cferns1 said:

*facepalm*

Reminds me of my friend that thinks his GT610 is as good as my HD7870 because his 610 and my 7870 both have 2GB of VRAM! lol

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

52 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

Reminds me of my friend that thinks his GT610 is as good as my HD7870 because his 610 and my 7870 both have 2GB of VRAM! lol

noice

but seriously though i dont know what it is about this song but i can just play it in the background on loop and never get bored of it hell i dont even notice it looping 

Spoiler

All the god damn fuck tards that keep trying to say 1 GB = 1024MB

when 1GB = 1000MB

and 1GIB = 1024MIB

4 minutes ago, Arty said:

All the god damn fuck tards that keep trying to say 1 GB = 1024MB

when 1GB = 1000MB

and 1GIB = 1024MIB

JEDEC standards dictate 1GB as 1024MiB, though. Notice how a 4GB stick of RAM isn't 4 billion bytes, but rather 4,294,967,296 bytes.

DAYTONA

PROCESSOR - AMD RYZEN 7 3700X
MOTHERBOARD - ASUS PRIME X370-PRO
RAM - 32GB (4x8GB) CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX DDR4-2400
CPU COOLING - NOCTUA NH-D14
GRAPHICS CARD - EVGA NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 980Ti SC+ ACX 2.0 w/ BACKPLATE
BOOT and PROGRAMS - CORSAIR MP600 1TB
GAMES and FILES - TOSHIBA 2TB
INTERNAL BACKUP - WESTERN DIGITAL GREEN 4TB
POWER SUPPLY - CORSAIR RM850i
CASE - CORSAIR OBSIDIAN 750D

Just now, daniellearmouth said:

JEDEC standards dictate 1GB as 1024MiB, though. Notice how a 4GB stick of RAM isn't 4 billion bytes, but rather 4,294,967,296 bytes.

Look at the units you used

you right 100%

Just need more people to learn the units. 

24 minutes ago, Arty said:

Just need more people to learn the units. 

And for the all too prevalent (mis)use of "MB" (for example) to mean 1024^2 bytes to come to an end :)

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

im super confused whats this whole thing about

Spoiler

1 hour ago, DirtyDane said:

im super confused whats this whole thing about

Which, the thread in general or the recent debates?  The thread is just supposed to be people sharing funny/ridiculous things they've experienced with people who don't know much about technology :)

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Which, the thread in general or the recent debates?  The thread is just supposed to be people sharing funny/ridiculous things they've experienced with people who don't know much about technology :)

no the GB vs GIB thing please explain it for me i want to make sure im using things the right way lol

Spoiler

10 hours ago, cferns1 said:

Actually my friend has a Dell Inspiron 15-7558, which has an i5 5200u, and he can play GTA V at 800x600, lowest settings, with shadows disabled, at 30fps. I guess if you wanted to you probably could.

MAIN RIG: Dell Precision T5500 -CPU: Intel Xeon W5580 (4c,8t@ 3.2ghz,turbo 3.46) -MOTHERBOARD: Dell Precision T5500 OEM -RAM: 16gb ECC DDR3 FBDIMM (Hynix) -GPU: Gigabyte GTX 770  OC WINDFORCE X3 -Case: Dell Precision T5500 OEM -STORAGE: 240gb ADATA Premier SP550 (OS, Programs), 2x 500GB WD Caviar WD5000AAKS (Games, Files) (RAID 0) -PSU: Dell Precision T5500 OEM (875w) -DISPLAY(S): Primary: Acer AL2016w (1680x1050), Left and Right: Gateway FPD1976W (1440x900), Extra displays around the room: 42" Vizio TV (1920x1080) -COOLING: Dell Precision T5500 OEM -KEYBOARD: Logitech G710+ -MOUSE: Logitech G502 Proteus Core -SOUND: Logitech x320 and Razer Electras -OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows 10 Pro x64

LAPTOP: Dell Precision M6500 -CPU: Intel Core i7 920xm (4c,8t@2.0ghz,turbo 3.2ghz) -RAM: 12gb DDR3 -GPU: ATi Firepro M7820 -STORAGE: 240gb ADATA Premier SP550 (OS, Programs), 500GB Seagate STL500LM000 SSHD (Games, Files) -DISPLAY: 1920x1200 17.3” -OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows 10 Pro x64

SECONDARY RIG: -CPU: 2x Intel Xeon x5450 (4c, 4t ea., 8c, 8t @3ghz total) -MOTHERBOARD: Corvalent BDPEX -RAM: 14GB ECC DDR2 (Mix Match of Brands) -GPU: Nvidia Quadro NVS 285 -CASE: No Case (Everything is mounted on the wall in my closet) -STORAGE: 160GB WD Caviar SE WD1600AAJS (OS, Programs, Files) -PSU: 450w BFG -DISPLAY: Samsung UN22D5000 (1920X1080) -COOLING: Dell Precision T5400 Heatsinks and some random fans -KEYBOARD: Logitech G105 -MOUSE: Logitech M215 Wireless Mouse -OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows 7 Professional x64

NAS: -CPU: Intel Pentium e2180 (2c, 2t@2ghz) -MOTHERBOARD: HP Compaq DC5800 OEM -RAM: 2GB DDR2 (Unsure of Brand) -CASE: No Case (Everything is mounted on the wall in my closet) -STORAGE: 500GB HGST (Backup) -PSU: HP Compaq DC5800 OEM (300w) -DISPLAY: Samsung UN22D5000 (1920X1080) -COOLING: Cooler Master Hyper 101a (Zip Tied) and some random fans -OPERATING SYSTEM: FreeNAS 9.10 (Running From USB Flash Drive)

FOLDING RIG: Dell Precision T5400 -CPU: 2x Intel Xeon X5450 (4c, 4t ea., 8c, 8t @3ghz total) -MOTHERBOARD: Dell Precision T5400 OEM -RAM: 32gb ECC DDR2 (Hynix) -GPU: Nvidia Quadro NVS 290 -CASE: Dell Precision T5400 OEM -STORAGE: 250gb WD 250ABYS (OS, Programs, Files) -PSU: Dell Precision T5400 OEM -DISPLAY: Dell 1707FP (1280x1024) -COOLING: Dell Precision T5400 OEM -OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows 10 Pro x64

PHONE: iPhone 7 32GB Matte Black (Sprint)

1 hour ago, DirtyDane said:

no the GB vs GIB thing please explain it for me i want to make sure im using things the right way lol

MB & GB is decimal (base 10)

MiB & GiB is binary (base 2)

http://physics.nist.gov/cuu/Units/binary.html

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

I figured out that my aforementioned TP link fail is due to Windows 10 not detecting my Ethernet port. I still havnt been bothered to find out how to fix it yet though.

Linus is my fetish.

1 hour ago, wkdpaul said:

MB & GB is decimal (base 10)

MiB & GiB is binary (base 2)

http://physics.nist.gov/cuu/Units/binary.html

True.  It doesn't help though that Windows uses 1024 but uses the MB, GB, etc labels.  In fact, I think that might be the cause of all the confusion people have had (and continue to have) over the years.

3 hours ago, Samsonsuperco said:

Actually my friend has a Dell Inspiron 15-7558, which has an i5 5200u, and he can play GTA V at 800x600, lowest settings, with shadows disabled, at 30fps. I guess if you wanted to you probably could.

Well, I wouldn't call that "playing" so much as executing the code successfully, but to each their own ;)

My friend bought a BlackWidow Chroma for a ridiculous $300 at JB HI FI when you can get the keyboard and the Deathadder Chroma for $294 at mwave. 

Epic fail.

Evidence Of Evil

9 minutes ago, HyperHertz said:

My friend bought a BlackWidow Chroma for a ridiculous $300 at JB HI FI when you can get the keyboard and the Deathadder Chroma for $294 at mwave. 

Epic fail.

$6 isn't that big of a deal.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch