Experiences with non-techies

On 2/17/2016 at 7:38 AM, Fgtfv567 said:

Oh no, so I guess you can't learn from watching videos on the internet like I did!! Ahahahahaa

I learned by looking at written guides when I was 10 xD

CPU: i7 5820K 4.0GHz @1.15V | MOBO: Asus X99 Sabertooth | GPU: Gigabyte Windforce GTX 980Ti, LTT Orange | CASE: NZXT H440 Black 2015 | COOLER: Noctua NH-D15S w/ LTT Fans | RAM: 32GB Patriot 3000MHz | STORAGE: 512GB Samsung 950 Pro, 960GB Sandisk Ultra II 3 x 8TB Seagate HDD's | PSU: 750W Seasonic X series, black / orange cablemod cables| Monitors: 3x Asus VX24AH's | AUDIO OUT: Microlab SOLO 8C, Sennheiser HD 650's, Audio engine D1 Amp / DAC | AUDIO IN: Blue Snowball | Keyboard: CM Storm QuickFire TK MX Green | Mouse: Logitech G900 Proteus Spectrum + RSI Extended Mouse Pad | PCPP Linkhttp://nz.pcpartpicker.com/list/hPjFd6

2 hours ago, Fgtfv567 said:

I actually have all 30-40 game shortcuts on my desktop. Yes 30-40 games, and then another like 10-20 for my other programs.

I like it this way, I don't have to open steam to launch a game, I can switch between games super easily and super quickly

That's why I mentioned "quick launch", I also have tons of shortcuts and instead of "switching" back to the desktop I use the quick launch with subfolders where I put my shortcuts, faster and cleaner IMO ;)

exemple;

quick-launch-in-action-1.png

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

2 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

That's why I mentioned "quick launch", I also have tons of shortcuts and instead of "switching" back to the desktop I use the quick launch with subfolders where I put my shortcuts, faster and cleaner IMO ;)

exemple;

quick-launch-in-action-1.png

I think we've all seen or at least can imagine the "shortcut graveyard" desktop though :D

something like this:

cluttered.jpg

How people find that more convenient than an organized menu with search I'll never know.  Sure, everything is only one click away, but everything is only one click away, and finding the right link is going to take longer than just hitting the windows key, typing part of the name and hitting enter :P

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

3 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I think we've all seen or at least can imagine the "shortcut graveyard" desktop though :D

something like this:

cluttered.jpg

How people find that more convenient than an organized menu with search I'll never know.  Sure, everything is only one click away, but everything is only one click away, and finding the right link is going to take longer than just hitting the windows key, typing part of the name and hitting enter :P

If you have a 2TB HDD the search can be quite slow

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

1 minute ago, don_svetlio said:

If you have a 2TB HDD the search can be quite slow

The only time I've ever noticed the start menu program search being slow was right after a new install.  I've used it since I got 7 ~5 years ago on slow laptop HDDs and SSDs with other large drives in the system (just for storage) and (this is actually odd to me though) it's always bee really fast; like it comes up with results pretty much as quickly as I can type.  (Why I find that odd is that "normal" file searches of the entire machine are actually quite slow still... o.O)

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

7 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

something like this:

cluttered.jpg

Oh, I am guilty of this.

DAYTONA

PROCESSOR - AMD RYZEN 7 3700X
MOTHERBOARD - ASUS PRIME X370-PRO
RAM - 32GB (4x8GB) CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX DDR4-2400
CPU COOLING - NOCTUA NH-D14
GRAPHICS CARD - EVGA NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 980Ti SC+ ACX 2.0 w/ BACKPLATE
BOOT and PROGRAMS - CORSAIR MP600 1TB
GAMES and FILES - TOSHIBA 2TB
INTERNAL BACKUP - WESTERN DIGITAL GREEN 4TB
POWER SUPPLY - CORSAIR RM850i
CASE - CORSAIR OBSIDIAN 750D

3 minutes ago, daniellearmouth said:

Oh, I am guilty of this.

I just noticed something else - look closely at that picture.  It appears as though there are two of everything... my conclusion is that whoever made it literally couldn't fill the desktop up that much if they tried, so they got about half and just duplicated everything xD

How do you feel now? :P

Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

I just noticed something else - look closely at that picture.  It appears as though there are two of everything... my conclusion is that whoever made it literally couldn't fill the desktop up that much if they tried, so they got about half and just duplicated everything xD

How do you feel now? :P

No different, really.

Because either way, it was mostly crap that was on the desktop anyway.

DAYTONA

13 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

The only time I've ever noticed the start menu program search being slow was right after a new install.  I've used it since I got 7 ~5 years ago on slow laptop HDDs and SSDs with other large drives in the system (just for storage) and (this is actually odd to me though) it's always bee really fast; like it comes up with results pretty much as quickly as I can type.  (Why I find that odd is that "normal" file searches of the entire machine are actually quite slow still... o.O)

That's because of Windows indexing, it'll keep an index of files and programs so searches will always be faster, if you don't have an index like me, then searches are slow! lol

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indexing_Service

Just now, wkdpaul said:

That's because of Windows indexing, it'll keep an index of files and programs so searches will always be faster, if you don't have an index like me, then searches are slow! lol

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indexing_Service

I know about indexing... it's just that having it or not hasn't always given the results I would expect.  At least on windows...

44 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I know about indexing... it's just that having it or not hasn't always given the results I would expect.  At least on windows...

ok yeah I understand, that's why I always turn it off (and also because I have low-end specs PC! lol)

55 minutes ago, EmeraldFlame said:

You sir/madam need Stardock Fences.

I actually don't have that much on my desktop anymore.

And besides, when I did have it, it didn't help any.

All I did with it was troll 4chan desktop threads, with things like an obnoxiously long fence solely for the Recycle Bin.

DAYTONA

8 hours ago, wkdpaul said:

To each his own, though I think we can all agree that a cluttered desktop is very inefficient!

When I see people with more than a dozen shortcuts (at work or with family) I try to give them tips, including quick launch, when non-techies learn about that they love it! Funny how there are simple ways to fix things. lol

On my laptop I have at least 20 shortcuts on my desktop, because

A) My steam games are all shortcut-ted on my desktop, and I can't be bothered to go searching through my steam library when its already on my desktop where I can see it layed out,

B) A lot of the programs that I use on a daily basis are on my desktop, and if I am just starting up my computer I don't need to search my computer for them, (they also act as a reminder of what I was going to do before I shut down my computer last),

C) The folders that I use quite often are shortcut-ted there because they are ridiculously deep into my file-system that it just became a pain to try and find all my work

But don't get me wrong, these shortcuts ARE NOT disorganised. I totally agree with you on that. It always really annoys me when people have an unnecessarily cluttered desktop, like seriously, how do you find anything in this mess. Like every time I log onto my nan's laptop to fix something she asks me to fix, there is always dozens of files and pictures on there, and things like a program link to something that opens up eBay's webpage. WHY IN GOD'S NAME WOULD YOU NEED TO INSTALL A PROGRAM THAT LAUNCHES THE EBAY WEBPAGE AND DOES NOTHING ELSE???? WHAT IS THE ACTUAL POINT?

On a side note, my nan is also convinced that there is a virus on her laptop because it is really slow, even though she has an i3-270m, and 2gb of DDR2 ram, running windows 10. It runs sort of fine now that I have turned off all of windows 10's animations and such but there should be a base line of your computers specs before you are allowed to upgrade (I have no idea if this is a thing or not, my laptop came pre installed with windows 10 and have never upgraded a computer to it)

Spoiler

Future build:

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/kGgNJx

Current build: (laptop)

Use the following style specs for your profile!
Specs:
Screeninator: Intel Graphics 5500
Stickaminator: Hyandai 12GB DDR3 RAM (1x8GB, 1x4GB)
Procrastinator: Intel i5-5500U @ 2.2 GHz
Noisoundacreator: TURTLE BEACH PX4
Remembrerthing: WD 1TB Blue HDD
Flat-Colorful-Thing: Samsung SyncMaster 2323Y
See-A-Move-O: Tecknet M288

2 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

something like this:

cluttered.jpg

*AHEM* i will have you know its 2 clicks away. 

“I am Holo the Wise Wolf. I know that there are things in this world that I do not know and that makes me wise!”

Spoiler

Screeninator:  Asus GeForce GTX 750Ti 2GB
Powermathingy: EVGA 500W
Stickaminator: Crucial 16GB 「4x4GB」DDR3-1600
Procrastinator: Intel i5-4460 3.2ghz
Holdametalicizor:  Corsair 200R 
Noisoundacreator:  Razer kracken pro
Attatchamajiggy :  Asrock H97 Anniversairy ATX LGA1150
Remembrerthing:  i've got a-lot of drives
Flat-Colorful-Thing:  LG not actually sure the model of it
See-A-Move-O: Razer Mamba 2012
ButtonBoard:  Razer Deathstalker 

i think we need a new story. this icon discussion is wearing on me. anyone else wanna talk about how overpriced starbucks is 

“I am Holo the Wise Wolf. I know that there are things in this world that I do not know and that makes me wise!”

Spoiler

24 minutes ago, DirtyDane said:

i think we need a new story. this icon discussion is wearing on me. anyone else wanna talk about how overpriced starbucks is 

Hilariously enough, my college has a Starbucks on the ground floor.

It's public, but you get a 30% discount if you're a student.

DAYTONA

31 minutes ago, daniellearmouth said:

Hilariously enough, my college has a Starbucks on the ground floor.

It's public, but you get a 30% discount if you're a student.

i dont drink coffee really so i have no use of starbucks but so many people i know waste money there

Spoiler

Just now, DirtyDane said:

i dont drink coffee really so i have no use of starbucks but so many people i know waste money there

I don't drink coffee either. I get tea from there. It's crazy cheap when the discount's applied.

Unpopular opinion: I can't stand coffee.

DAYTONA

1 minute ago, daniellearmouth said:

I don't drink coffee either. I get tea from there. It's crazy cheap when the discount's applied.

Unpopular opinion: I can't stand coffee.

same and if i ever need something to keep me up usually a swig of a soda of some sort is enough. its the feeling of the carbonated drink in my mouth that does it, no idea why but it just works. hell i pulled a 2 day non stop livestream with friends relying on 1 bottle of diet coke and water

Spoiler

1 hour ago, DirtyDane said:

*AHEM* i will have you know its 2 clicks away. 

not if you change the settings for a single click to launch!  ohhh! :P

1 hour ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

how many non techies are going to figure that out. 

Spoiler

Just now, DirtyDane said:

how many non techies are going to figure that out. 

1 hour ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

tell you what. if your so for it then how about this. you get to show each and every person who doesnt know how to do it how to do it one by one on your own

Spoiler

14 minutes ago, DirtyDane said:

tell you what. if your so for it then how about this. you get to show each and every person who doesnt know how to do it how to do it one by one on your own

woah where is that coming from?

A friend, knows enough to fix some things but he's also the right amount of "non-techy" (he's the one that thinks GPU powers is limited to VRAM ie: to him GT610 2GB>HD7770 1GB & GT610 2GB==HD7870 2GB)

So anyway, he's trying to get these old HP Neoware thin client to work with different Linux distros ... he says he can't make any work except for an old TinyCore. I tried to help him out through SMS and emails with distros suggestions but somehow it didn't seem to work, with his only explanation "they're not working!"

... until tonight, I asked him if he could send me exact error messages he's getting (I only learned today he's been getting error messages!!!), so when he sends me the message it read;

this kernel requires an x86-64 CPU, but only detects an i686 CPU, unable to boot

... *sigh* ... so this WHOLE time (2 weeks now) he was trying to install 64bits linux distributions on 32bits hardware, without even reading the message he was getting !!!!!!!!!!! With all the crap he throws my way tech wise, I sometimes I which I could send him a punch through email.