Experiences with non-techies

My whole career has been dealing with non-techies.  I started working in the IT industry in 2005, most of it hands-on hardware work, other times just general tech support. 

I was put on general tech support full time three years ago due to restructuring and politics.  Those were the worse 3 years of my working life.  And I had a McJob when I first started working.  Even that was more fun.

https://www.reddit.com/r/talesfromtechsupport Is the place for you.... Lol. I hope you aren't mentally scarred from your experiences!

I don't do signatures.

My brother once asked how to upgrade the graphics card in his laptop. He doesn't even have discrete graphics. When I told him he can't, He said I was lying and that anything is possible. LOL

You know that guy that games on a MacBook? I'm that guy.

https://www.reddit.com/r/talesfromtechsupport Is the place for you.... Lol. I hope you aren't mentally scarred from your experiences!

LOL, thanks! 

I cringe every time the phone rings at my desk.  It was non-stop answering phones from non-techie callers the whole day.

Current Rig: i5 3570K @ 4.2 GHz, Corsair H100i, Asus Maximus V Gene, Asus GTX 970 Turbo, Patriot Viper Black Mamba 8 GB DDR-3 1600 (2x4GB), Sandisk 120 GB SSD + Seagate 500 GB HDD + WD Blue 1 TB HDD, XFX 750W Black Edition, Corsair 350D - https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/b/cbxrxr

I know this non-techie guy at our school. When I joked to my friend that I should custom build a laptop, and that kid just came over and said he custom built a laptop when he was nine. Just to prove he's not that much of a techie, he uses a macbook air.

Edit: Just remembered something else: Whenever I bring my MSI to school, I turn off the RGB backlight, since it attracts WAY too much people thinking that it's an alienware. People still do when I turn them off. It's actually a joke now with my fellow techies

What testing program? Skyward? Or was it SBAC? My school recently did SBAC and they didn't have enough computers for everyone, so they went and bought some crappy ones. The keyboard kept registering keystrokes twice, and I'm sure I racked up some spelling errors because of that.

SBAC, they think we are too dumb to even turn on a computer let alone take a test on one. We had to watch a god awful presentation on how to use a calculator. 

Rich Purnell Is A Steely-Eyed Missile Man

This is all too true.  I'm the same age as you and I'm not even joking that easily 75%+ of the kids in my school hail Beats as their god and worship Apple.  One kid in my Algebra class has a macbook air she spent about $2000 on with obviously shitty specs.  She went as far as to put a nice big beats logo sticker smack dab on the apple, and then the rest of the laptop is plastered with vineyard vines stickers (or whatever that clothing brand that everyone seems to swear by is called)

On a side note, when is your bday?  I'm the 15th.

I know that feel so well bro. I'm fourteen, and it's sorta the same in our school, except even worse. The neighborhood I live in is very rich, and a lot of the kids are spoiled. Almost everyone has macbooks and beats, and they think those are the best brands in the world, although some Korean guys do indeed like Samsung.

LOL, thanks! 

I cringe every time the phone rings at my desk.  It was non-stop answering phones from non-techie callers the whole day.

After frequenting this thread and TFTS, I can almost understand your pain.

I don't do signatures.

That top-rated post on that page is golden :D

Yeah, most of them are  :P. There's always some daily gem that makes one fear for humanity Lol.

I don't do signatures.

So I'm walking by my mother's laptop, and I see this... kid watching a YT video that is skipping half the frames. I make the kid leave, and take a closer look. Incredibly slow even with that SSD I so kindly got her? Wait... could it be.... All 4GB RAM used up?!?! Really? What could be using it all?

8fHbqv5.jpg

107 tabs open in Chrome. I counted.

Well, I know what she's getting for Mother's day. She got an extra 8 gigs of memory (total 12), and a stern talking to about how to manage her browsing.

She didn't seem to understand or care about keeping her browsing habits in check, but now at least she can have her tabs and love them.

All's well that ends well.

She browses Linus Style!

Rich Purnell Is A Steely-Eyed Missile Man

I love Airz23's stories!

Pentium G3258, R9 280X, Corsair CS600M, Gigabyte GA-H81M-H, 2 Random monitors, a no-name keyboard, a cheap $15 Logitech mouse.

LG G3 Vigor

She browses Linus Style!

Lol!

Well, now she has the memory to do what she wants at least :P I'd like to see her max out 12 GB  :lol:

I don't do signatures.

I love Airz23's stories!

No kidding, the stories are always good. The spreadsheet one was great, probably my favorite tale from a favorite poster.

I don't do signatures.

No kidding, the stories are always good. The spreadsheet one was great, probably my favorite tale from a favorite poster.

haven't read that one, I had an IFTTT alert telling me when he posted new stories, but it auto deactivated. :(

Pentium G3258, R9 280X, Corsair CS600M, Gigabyte GA-H81M-H, 2 Random monitors, a no-name keyboard, a cheap $15 Logitech mouse.

LG G3 Vigor

haven't read that one, I had an IFTTT alert telling me when he posted new stories, but it auto deactivated. :(

:o Definitely great. I'll look it up and post a link here in case you have time to/are willing to read it soon... (a minute later) https://www.reddit.com/r/talesfromtechsupport/comments/3452np/spreadsheeting_happiness/ Here it is.

I don't do signatures.

:o Definitely great. I'll look it up and post a link here in case you have time to/are willing to read it soon... (a minute later) https://www.reddit.com/r/talesfromtechsupport/comments/3452np/spreadsheeting_happiness/ Here it is.

Just read it, I feel like I have read it before. Thanks for the link, though!

LG G3 Vigor

Just read it, I feel like I have read it before. Thanks for the link, though!

NP! 

I don't do signatures.

This is all too true.  I'm the same age as you and I'm not even joking that easily 75%+ of the kids in my school hail Beats as their god and worship Apple.  One kid in my Algebra class has a macbook air she spent about $2000 on with obviously shitty specs.  She went as far as to put a nice big beats logo sticker smack dab on the apple, and then the rest of the laptop is plastered with vineyard vines stickers (or whatever that clothing brand that everyone seems to swear by is called)

Sounds vaguely familiar haha

@RedOwen1177 @Mattrixx 

Airz23's stories are fucking golden, thanks for unintentionally showing it to me :D

Lol well you're welcome  :D. Sharing exciting new reads: a win for the Internet!

I don't do signatures.

@RedOwen1177 @Mattrixx 

Airz23's stories are fucking golden, thanks for unintentionally showing it to me :D

Start at number one, and read from there. You'll love them. Also, keyboards.

LG G3 Vigor

I'm gonna go through them every now and then. :) @RedOwen1177 - Fail didn't quote you. :D

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler

So I'm walking by my mother's laptop, and I see this... kid watching a YT video that is skipping half the frames. I make the kid leave, and take a closer look. Incredibly slow even with that SSD I so kindly got her? Wait... could it be.... All 4GB RAM used up?!?! Really? What could be using it all?

8fHbqv5.jpg

107 tabs open in Chrome. I counted.

Well, I know what she's getting for Mother's day. She got an extra 8 gigs of memory (total 12), and a stern talking to about how to manage her browsing.

She didn't seem to understand or care about keeping her browsing habits in check, but now at least she can have her tabs and love them.

All's well that ends well.

I've used 9 gigs of ram with <25 tabs before...

I'm gonna go through them every now and then. :) @RedOwen1177 - Fail didn't quote you. :D

It's ok! That subreddit is just golden. :)

LG G3 Vigor

I've used 9 gigs of ram with <25 tabs before...

I haven't ever used that much ram. How are you doing that?

LG G3 Vigor