Experiences with non-techies

On 18/8/2017 at 9:24 AM, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

Well, I had 2.

On a Facebook group I’m in, one guy asked if he could swap the GPU on his laptop, which was what looked like an aging Lenovo IdeaPad with a first-generation Core iX (likely Core i3) processor. 

Though perhaps the best one was a guy who just purchased an Oculus Rift and asked whether his Intel HD4600 was able to run it, and then asked whether upgrading to a Core i7 would make it playable.

I mean, wouldn’t it be wise to ask around before committing to such an expensive purchase??

Im dying over here xD 

On 13/8/2017 at 2:38 AM, valdyrgramr said:

Not sure if non-techie or fanboys, but I see this a lot on FB tech pages.  "Nvidia is a safe platform."  WTF does that even mean?

Since my mom is expecting her phone to die she bought a 5S because it was fairly cheap. Then my cousin said "Apple is the best and can't be hacked" says to my mother "That iPhone 5S you bought will serve you atleast for some years and the battery will last since apple optimizes devices every with every update". That time I showed a Chart about performance, battery, camera and all that of the 5S vs my Xperia Z3+. The she said "Oh that is completly fake, it must be. It is impossible that the iPhone has 8MP and that yours have 20.7, thats impossible!" I told her they used old technologies then the reply "No. They use the up-todate hardware and software (clearly she didn't knew what she was talking about) because my iPhone 7 is very fast and the camera is the best".

Well I don't really know If she is using her brain at 100% or something but damn, the charts I showed to her!

1 minute ago, MadOverclocker said:

My cousin says all the damn time "Apple is the best and can't be hacked" says to my mother "That iPhone 5S you bought will serve you atleast for some years and the battery will last since apple optimizes devices every with every update". That time I showed a Chart about performance, battery, camera and all that of the 5S vs my Xperia Z3+. The she said "Oh that is completly fake, it must be. It is impossible that the iPhone has 8MP and that yours have 20.7, thats impossible!" I told her they used old technologies then the reply "No. They use the up-todate hardware and software (clearly she didn't knew what she was talking about) because my iPhone 7 is very fast and the camera is the best".

Well I don't really know If she is using her brain at 100% or something but damn, the charts I showed to her!

lol

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

1 minute ago, JDE said:

lol

That's pretty much everytime when someone talks about phones so I just Say Yeah yeah whatever.

1 minute ago, MadOverclocker said:

That's pretty much everytime when someone talks about phones so I just Say Yeah yeah whatever.

My dad is suprised my Note 5 hasn't failed after half a year because "Samsung is slow and breaks quick"

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

2 minutes ago, JDE said:

My dad is suprised my Note 5 hasn't failed after half a year because "Samsung is slow and breaks quick"

facebook was preinstalled on mine and i couldn't disable it 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

47 minutes ago, MadOverclocker said:

Since my mom is expecting her phone to die she bought a 5S because it was fairly cheap. Then my cousin said "Apple is the best and can't be hacked" says to my mother "That iPhone 5S you bought will serve you atleast for some years and the battery will last since apple optimizes devices every with every update". That time I showed a Chart about performance, battery, camera and all that of the 5S vs my Xperia Z3+. The she said "Oh that is completly fake, it must be. It is impossible that the iPhone has 8MP and that yours have 20.7, thats impossible!" I told her they used old technologies then the reply "No. They use the up-todate hardware and software (clearly she didn't knew what she was talking about) because my iPhone 7 is very fast and the camera is the best".

Just wanted to say more MP doesn't mean better.

I personally would take a 13 MP camera over a 21 MP one in a smartphone any day, assuming the 13 MP camera has pixels around 1.5 micrometers in length.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

1 minute ago, DocSwag said:

I personally would take a 13 MP camera over a 21 MP one in a smartphone any day, assuming the 13 MP camera has pixels around 1.5 micrometers in length.

as long as the quality is the same or better id take the larger MP one 

my 6s+'s camera isn't as sharp as my note 5's camera :( 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

4 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

Thanks for informing me since I am not that good with smartphones, I am only good troubleshooting and all with computers :) .

Just now, themctipers said:

as long as the quality is the same or better id take the larger MP one 

my 6s+'s camera isn't as sharp as my note 5's camera :( 

Thing is more MP means smaller pixel size since you can only cram so much of a sensor in a smartphone before you need a really big camera hump. So with something like a 21 MP sensor you end up with smaller pixels in the camera sensor, which leads to more noise and whatnot in low light scenarios.

So it's a trade off of low light vs detail. Which means you need a balance. It seems for most of the market this currently is 13 MP with around 1.5 micrometer pixel size. Not necessarily quality in normal scenarios.

So if you take mostly well lit pictures moar pixels probably matters more for you.

I think I'm getting carried away. I should stop. :P 

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Spoiler

Just now, DocSwag said:

Thing is more MP means smaller pixel size since you can only cram so much of a sensor in a smartphone before you need a really big camera hump. So with something like a 21 MP sensor you end up with smaller pixels in the camera sensor, which leads to more noise and whatnot in low light scenarios.

So it's a trade off of low light vs detail. Which means you need a balance. It seems for most of the market this currently is 13 MP with around 1.5 micrometer pixel size. Not necessarily quality in normal scenarios.

So if you take mostly well lit pictures moar pixels probably matters more for you.

the camera hump looked like it was just a bunch of filler material to surround the sensor itself

and yes, i do take mostly well lit photos :P

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

3 minutes ago, MadOverclocker said:

Thanks for informing me since I am not that good with smartphones, I am only good troubleshooting and all with computers :) .

In smartphone sensors the big factors usually are number of pixels (MP) and pixel size. More MP means a camera that takes higher resolution pictures, but it also means the size of the individual pixels in your camera sensor have to be smaller since your smartphone camera sensor can only be so big before you're looking at something that requires a bit camera bump and that potentially produces a good bit of heat. When the size of those pixels go down noise in pictures taken increases (I don't know why, and still haven't figured out why :P). This doesn't matter as much in daylight but at night this can be annoying.

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Just now, DocSwag said:

In smartphone sensors the big factors usually are number of pixels (MP) and pixel size. More MP means a camera that takes higher resolution pictures, but it also means the size of the individual pixels in your camera sensor have to be smaller since your smartphone camera sensor can only be so big before you're looking at something that requires a bit camera bump and that potentially produces a good bit of heat. When the size of those pixels go down noise in pictures taken increases (I don't know why, and still haven't figured out why :P). This doesn't matter as much in daylight but at night this can be annoying.

Image result for note 5 camera

to me it looks like its just surround (the black bit around the sensor) to protect it or some shit

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

1 minute ago, themctipers said:

the camera hump looked like it was just a bunch of filler material to surround the sensor itself

and yes, i do take mostly well lit photos :P

There's a lens in there in dat hump. That's where the aperture comes from :P 

Welp, moar pixels probably matters moar to you :P 

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Image result for note 5 camera

to me it looks like its just surround (the black bit around the sensor) to protect it or some shit

Yeah that black part is just filler as design and (maybe) protection. Or maybe something else. The lens part is the grey and purple stuff in the inside.

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Just now, DocSwag said:

There's a lens in there in dat hump. That's where the aperture comes from :P 

Welp, moar pixels probably matters moar to you :P 

wat

why the lens so big ? 

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

Just now, DocSwag said:

Yeah that black part is just filler as design and (maybe) protection. Or maybe something else. The lens part is the grey and purple stuff in the inside.

thats the only problem with that camera

damn filler making it so large

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

thats the only problem with that camera

damn filler making it so large

But but design!

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Just now, DocSwag said:

But but design!

fuck that shit ill take this over that any day

Image result for iphone 6s camera

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

8 minutes ago, themctipers said:

fuck that shit ill take this over that any day

Image result for iphone 6s camera

How bout dis

oie_1817117O8OUSYwy.jpg

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Just now, DocSwag said:

How bout dis

oie_1817117O8OUSYwy.jpg

Image result for wd black

ive actually never unboxed a HDD before.

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

12 hours ago, DocSwag said:

There's another thing that people should take note of.

The actual size of the sensor. You can absolutely have a higher resolution, but the actual sensor size has to be larger in order to compensate.

It's hard to quantify what is "better" because the big differentiators when it comes to smartphone cameras is software. I've already seen a lot of examples of great hardware utterly ruined by bad software.

And to avoid going off-topic, I'll say this.

Wannabee camera pros who think that any camera without OIS is crap. Not all of them are. If you think they all are, you're wrong. 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

11 hours ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

The actual size of the sensor. You can absolutely have a higher resolution, but the actual sensor size has to be larger in order to compensate.

Or the pixels become smaller :P 

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

My brother: why does my computer take long to boot

Me: it has no ssd

My brother: why didn't you give me one with an ssd

Me: do you even know what an ssd is

My brother: It makes things faster

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

On 2017-8-20 at 11:21 AM, themctipers said:

facebook was preinstalled on mine and i couldn't disable it 

Preinstalled bloatware that you cant remove on phones is the worst sometimes.

Desktop: Core i5-6400, 16gb DDR4, Asus H110M-K, GTX 970, 240gb Crucial BX200, 1TB 5200rpm Samsung Spinpoint, 1TB WD Green, 250gb WD Scorpio Blue, Corsair CS550M, Zalman Z1 Neo, TP Link TL-WDN4800.

Laptop: HP Stream 13: Intel Celeron N2840, 2GB DDR3, 32GB e-mmc, iGPU.

"Test Bench": Pentium 4 HT 3.4GHz, 2GB DDR2, Dell Dimension 8400 Mobo and PSU, ATI X550, random hard drives