Seagate SSHDs vs WD Black HDD series - game storage

Airwolf1984

Price wise, the Seagate SSHDs are cheaper on NCIX, but is it worth the savings over the WD Black series?

You think 1TB would be sufficient for game storage?

yep and yep.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

dont buy either

get a dedicated SSD and a seagate barracuda

it will cost the same

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1TB is plenty. I have over 100 games, some of them modded to hell (KSP, GMOD, etc) and all of them fully installed ins't even 500GB.

I might be wrong.

1TB is plenty. I have over 100 games, some of them modded to hell (KSP, GMOD, etc) and all of them fully installed ins't even 500GB.

Same but I need to get a new HDD because my 1000GB HDD is full. (I don't know how)

My Evening Prayer:

May your temperatures be low and your framerates be high.

-Gaben

Same but I need to get a new HDD because my 1000GB HDD is full. (I don't know how)

So... your saying that your hard drive is full, but instead of cleaning it out, you're going to buy a new one instead? what is wrong with you?

I might be wrong.

So... your saying that your hard drive is full, but instead of cleaning it out, you're going to buy a new one instead? what is wrong with you?

Already cleaned a few times so now I got 20GB of free space :C I will do a scan for the big files and clean it again (hopefully)

My Evening Prayer:

-Gaben

Thanks for posting this! It was a time ago since I scanned for large files! Now I have 181GB free space!

My Evening Prayer:

-Gaben

Use scanner to find old/unneeded/huge games.

Using Tapatalk

Assuming you're in the market for a 2.5 inch drive: Having tried both Seagate and Toshiba SSHD's I'm getting the impression the Toshiba is slightly better. The specs of both are the same so it must be that the learning algorithms for what needs to go onto the flash part are more efficient with the Toshiba one. It also uses SLC whereas the Seagate uses MLC NAND. The WD Black2 will outperform both of those but is much more expensive because it's basically a 1120GB drive with the first 120 being an SSD part fused onto a regular 1TB drive. It can be faster but requires a somewhat more involved setup process and is really only practical if you're doing a clean OS install.

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

Already cleaned a few times so now I got 20GB of free space :C I will do a scan for the big files and clean it again (hopefully)

Using WinDirStat will markedly improve your quality of life in this regard. https://windirstat.info/

1. Overclock until the magic smoke comes out. 2. Modify until broken. 3. Fix and repeat.

4670k - 16GB - 290X - 1440p Freesync

Hi there @Airwolf1984!

Your overall gaming experience will depend on how frequently you "call" the same file as only upto 8GB of files will be in the cache and these will be the most often used - all other files will load at the native speed of the HDD. In other words, if you do call the same files repetitively then you will see a nice performance boost, and if not very little performance boost because of the caching algorithm. 

Also, since you have a desktop I would recommend SSD+HDD configuration instead of SSHD which will suit better for laptops.

Hope this helps.

Cheers! :)

If this post helped you, please like and choose it as a best answer.   :)
http://www.wdc.com/en/

I recommend buying a 6Tb hard drive over a 1Tb Black. The storage density in the 6Tb allows for some really fast read/write speeds. My 6Tb seagate reads/writes at over 250MB/s. It's pretty rediculous. Seek times I can't recall off the top of my head though lol. I can't say anything about using a SSHD over a WD black because I never tried using SSHDs for games before.

EDIT: I guess I should mention that the 250 MB/s is sequential and for random read and writes it is probably slower but I don't think it is slower than any 1Tb Black.

I already have an SSD for the OS. How noisy are the Black drives?

Between 28-34 dBA, depending on the capacity. I personally have one WD Black and don't find it loud.

If this post helped you, please like and choose it as a best answer.   :)
http://www.wdc.com/en/

I already have an SSD for the OS. How noisy are the Black drives?

In my experience they're not too bad. If you're concerned about noise you should probably use some isolation mounts especially if you're using a tin can case like my old Antec 300 as that case made a great noise conductor. In something more modern and civilized you can hear it if you're trying, but even in my desktop eSATA HDD toaster it's not bothersome.

Honestly if you notice it without actively hunting it I'd be surprised.

1. Overclock until the magic smoke comes out. 2. Modify until broken. 3. Fix and repeat.

4670k - 16GB - 290X - 1440p Freesync

For the love of god, please download and run this:

http://www.uderzo.it/main_products/space_sniffer/download.html

Space Sniffer shows you a graphical representation of your HDD and what files are taking up space on it.

PLEASE run this and properly clean out your files :P

As for on topic, I would suggest a standard WD Blue or Seagate Baracuda for game storage. For your OS, I recommend a dedicated SSD (Anywhere around the 120GB to 256GB size should be good).

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)