Paranoia Gone Wrong: Intel, Nvidia, and Others Barred From Selling to China

but they have coprocessors in them which are excellent for mining

Yeah, specially if you have more than 1,400,000 cores to do it

“When life gives you lemons, don’t make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don’t want your damn lemons, what the hell am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life’s manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I’m the man who’s gonna burn your house down! With the lemons! I’m gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!”

- Cave Johnson, founder and CEO of Aperture Science, in Portal 2

wouldnt be that good considering these are CPU's and not ASIC's

Still better than even a huge array of ASIC cards, these Computers CPU performance is insane

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 5800x3D | Scythe Fuma 2 | RX6600XT Red Devil | B550M Steel Legend | Fury Renegade 32GB 3600MTs | 980 Pro Gen4 - RAID0 - Kingston A400 480GB x2 RAID1 - Seagate Barracuda 1TB x2 | Fractal Design Integra M 650W | InWin 103 | Mic. - SM57 | Headphones - Sony MDR-1A | Keyboard - Roccat Vulcan 100 AIMO | Mouse - Steelseries Rival 310 | Monitor - Dell S3422DWG

Still better than even a huge array of ASIC cards, these Computers CPU performance is insane

33.86 Petaflops without the aditional 1,400,000 cores the US denied it. HOLY SHIT

“When life gives you lemons, don’t make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don’t want your damn lemons, what the hell am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life’s manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I’m the man who’s gonna burn your house down! With the lemons! I’m gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!”

- Cave Johnson, founder and CEO of Aperture Science, in Portal 2

WW3 Inc.

Ye, keep dreaming...

You`ll get to live out your boring miserable life with fantasies of being rich while being poor... just like everyone else.

This is the attitude that causes a loooot of problems. Because then this country will think it's the world police. And want to "solve" everything they don't like whether or not it is actually bad or good. Stay the fuck out of someone else's country unless they ask for your help.

And in the case of Hitler, know why he came to power before shouting your mouth, because it's countries like this that created him.

ha, hahaha. That last sentance actually made me laugh. 

The reason hitler came to power was not just because of a war before hand. Sure hitler was able to grab hold of the government because of it, but it was the endless cycle of appeasement that the allies went through in regards to germany. Completely ignoring their massive build up of army. or reports that they were slaughtering innocents in the streets. The allies didn't want to anger a country already crippled, so they did nothing until it was too late and hitler had invaded poland. The british prime minister at the time was so daft that he actually thought they could have peace if he just left germany completely alone. No big surprise shortly after his whole, "Germany is perfectly fine, in fact, we're signing a peace treaty speech" hitler began WW2. 

Evil things can only be done in a world were the good no longer care. I agree though, it shouldn't be JUST america that people look to when in trouble. The un has a piss poor record of trying to keep the peace in africa so i wouldn't expect them to do any better at all anywhere else they go. It should be a legion of nations that can actually get shit done that keep the obvious corruption, killing of innocent, and oppression of the population from having a foothold in this world. We can never reach anything close to a utopian society so long as we can allow atrocities to go unchecked, regardless of which side of the fence they happen on.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

AMD's repsonse: We'll just secretly put our FirePro in our Opterons muahaha

I wouldn't call it paranoia, but China is a geopolitical danger. From hacking US secret data bases and coping countless US military designs. Also China has copied from other 1st world countries. China has a very big problem with coming up with things on their own. So restricting them is a very wise idea. If it wasn't for Bill Clinton and big companies that banked rolled the US to allow China to be a trade partner. We wouldn't be in this predicament. 

Test ideas by experiment and observation; build on those ideas that pass the test, reject the ones that fail; follow the evidence wherever it leads and question everything.

I wouldn't call it paranoia, but China is a geopolitical danger. From hacking US secret data bases and coping countless US military designs. Also China has copied from other 1st world countries. China has a very big problem with coming up with things on their own. So restricting them is a very wise idea. If it wasn't for Bill Clinton and big companies that banked rolled the US to allow China to be a trade partner. We wouldn't be in this predicament. 

The NSA is just as bad, so China could have similar excuses if they started embargo's on the US.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

The difference is that China's economy would plummet and chaos would ensue. They don't have that sort of luxury.

I'm all for not giving China any leg up on anything. They are a huge threat, not just to the US but for the entire world.

Is it paranoia, probably; but let's face it, it's not. China is just putting on a facade to appear as nice as they can to the outside world. Kind of like Iran with their pleas for nuclear research. We all know they just want to build nukes, and that's never a good thing. Even if we can trust Iran's government, could we possibly trust them to keep it safe from terrorist organizations that rule that area. Fuck no.

Stay tuned for next episode when China bans REE exports to the U.S.

If that ever happen, I can't imagine the consequences

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

Stay tuned for next episode when China bans REE exports to the U.S.

If that ever happen, I can't imagine the consequences

The U.S. needs to ban imports from China. Our country use to make some of the best quality stuff money could buy. Now we import everything and people complain about jobs because of it. Our economy has become to reliant on imports. Which 90% of the stuff is junk anyways.

ha, hahaha. That last sentance actually made me laugh. 

The reason hitler came to power was not just because of a war before hand. Sure hitler was able to grab hold of the government because of it, but it was the endless cycle of appeasement that the allies went through in regards to germany. Completely ignoring their massive build up of army. or reports that they were slaughtering innocents in the streets. The allies didn't want to anger a country already crippled, so they did nothing until it was too late and hitler had invaded poland. The british prime minister at the time was so daft that he actually thought they could have peace if he just left germany completely alone. No big surprise shortly after his whole, "Germany is perfectly fine, in fact, we're signing a peace treaty speech" hitler began WW2. 

Evil things can only be done in a world were the good no longer care. I agree though, it shouldn't be JUST america that people look to when in trouble. The un has a piss poor record of trying to keep the peace in africa so i wouldn't expect them to do any better at all anywhere else they go. It should be a legion of nations that can actually get shit done that keep the obvious corruption, killing of innocent, and oppression of the population from having a foothold in this world. We can never reach anything close to a utopian society so long as we can allow atrocities to go unchecked, regardless of which side of the fence they happen on.

The reason why I said what I said is this:

Germany got dragged in to World War I because of treaties, they just so happened to be the most effective country defending their allies during the war. When they lost what should have been done is removing the old people from power (I don't completely agree with this, they had to fight because of treaties) and help the country out so it doesn't crumble. No, instead you have England, France, and essentially the United States (by not intervening) wanting to cripple the country and its citizens as revenge. If they hadn't done that then Hitler would have never rose to power. You have to understand why he did in the first place. The German economy was non-existent and the people starving, he wanted to bring them out of poverty and create a prosperous nation once again, along with getting revenge for what was done to the German and German speaking peoples. If the roles were reversed you would agree with the ideology because you would feel the unjust punishment.

My problem with the US going in to other countries to "help" is they don't know the area, the politics, and the people and always choose the wrong side essentially. We have ISIS because of al-Qaeda because the US helped out the Muhajideen rebels. Look where that's landed the world. And they do this everywhere. I could go in to further detail but let's not continue for the sake of the thread.

From hacking US secret data bases and coping countless US military designs. Also China has copied from other 1st world countries. 

Lets face this, every country, even the US, would try to do that if they can.

Hell, they probably did that already.

This is so pointless too. It's not hard to make shell companies in the U.S. to buy and then ship them overseas. Honestly what is the point in trying to snub China this way? Intel's and Nvidia's stock also took a hit over the news.

It's political posturing more than anything.  They're making it slightly harder, but the main point is to say that they're tired of China building up their computing power.

Heh, even the US government who are totally tech illiterate know AMD cpus are a joke right now

Don't be silly, this is just the U.S government's way of intervening in intel's monopoly. /s

Lets face this, every country, even the US, would try to do that if they can.

Hell, they probably did that already.

China is far more obsessive about copying ideas to the letter than other cultures.

They view cheating as acceptable and don't have a problem with bootlegs or carbon copies.

It's a bit different than seeing a design and emulating it.  China will literally copy design flaws because no one actually thought about what they were copying.   In some respects they're the yang to America's innovative yang.

4K // R5 3600 // RTX2080Ti

Real life follows the p2w model.

So fucking true. And we complain about f2p games...

MacBook Pro 15' 2018 (Pretty much the only system I use)

The U.S. needs to ban imports from China. Our country use to make some of the best quality stuff money could buy. Now we import everything and people complain about jobs because of it. Our economy has become to reliant on imports. Which 90% of the stuff is junk anyways.

Trade is solely based on comparative advantage. Trade primarily benefits consumers too. It would be economically inefficient for us to try to replace the production of many different products from Japan, South Korea, and China. The U.S. just has to move its citizenry onto more nuanced skill sets for more white collar jobs. There are still tons of open factory maintenance jobs as well which no one seems to be taking.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

The only result of this is a competing processor company emerging out of China. This is not far fetched or improbable, as China controls and exports a lot of the rare earth materials needed to manufacture computer components in the first place, and this only serves to force China's hand, and ironically give them motivation to overcome import limitations. I have a hard time believing anyone could be so dumb to believe that a move like this won't end up helping China in the long run. It's likely a large number of cpus and graphic cards will find their way through the black market, as well as the used online market, but if its easier to just manufacture their own, China is technologically dominant enough to simply pick up the slack.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

As an American this is bullshit. Don't give us such piss poor education if you want us to be competitive with the world.

Homeschool FTW. :3

Wow, this sucks. I hope this doesn't become a vicious cycle across the world. Basically cutting each other off because we can't trust each other. Then what? We can't trust each other in our own country and so forth? Sucks major balls man.

And even if there was truth or not about the matter, or the unknown seriousness of the situation. Still sucks balls.

*coughNSAcough*

Our debt is China's problem. If it tries to collect it, it's biggest consumer market will collapse due to sudden tax inflation. We both have guns pointed at each other's heads. Neither will pull the trigger of defaulting or trying to collect.

Oh my gosh, this is an incredibly great point I never thought of. We could basically borrow and borrow forever and if they ever tried to get the money back their entire economy would collapse!

Makes you wonder if politicians knew this when they started borrowing from China.

And to what of those who can't leave, but would like to? "too bad for them"?

Inaction is just that, inaction.

I don't like the opinion that the US should be the world's police. I think we should let China work out their own problems, we shouldn't force our system down their throats or down the throats of any other country.

"We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." ~Carl Sagan

OnePlus One, 64GB Black, Rooted, Oxygen OS 1.0.0
Moto 360, Silver Finish with 22mm Cognac Leather Band, Pascual watchface
iPad with Retina Display (3rd Generation), 16GB, Black, Wifi Only

CPU: Intel i5-4690K CPU Cooler: Stock Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97N WIFI Mini ITX RAM: Kingston Savage 8GB 1866MHz SSD: Sandisk Ultra Plus 256GB HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB 7200RPM Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Black GPU: Intel HD Graphics 4600 PSU: Corsair RM450 OS:
Windows 7 Ultimate Windows 8.1 Pro for Students Monitor: Acer K242HL Bhid 1080p 24" Monitor Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue Mouse: Logitech T650

Homeschool FTW. :3

Up until only recently, homeschooling was too expensive an option for most, especially since you were still paying state taxes to fund education anyway.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd