Anonymous Reveals Name of Officers Involved In New Jersey Fatal Arrest

SIGSEGV

Source: http://www.philly.com/philly/news/new_jersey/20150408_Vineland_police_get_anonymous_ultimatum_via_video.html

The hacking group that calls itself Anonymous, following through on a video threat, revealed the names of two of the Vineland, N.J., officers involved in a fatal arrest last week, and officials confirmed the names Tuesday.

Chief Timothy Codispoti posted recordings of the 911 call and police dispatches from the arrest of Phillip White on the department's Facebook page. A lawyer representing the three officers involved in the incident confirmed their names, as did the chief, who was cited by NJ.com.

Police used a dog to restrain White, 32, of Vineland, after they said he tried to reach for one of the officers' weapons on March 31.

White's family and a rights activist, citing witnesses, allege that the officers punched and beat White before he was placed in an ambulance for respiratory distress. They also point to a bystander's cellphone video, which they say shows a police dog biting White as he lies on the ground.

On Tuesday, the names, home addresses, and phone numbers of Officers Louis Platania and Jeffrey Travaline were posted on a website that has been used by Anonymous hackers.

Stuart Alterman, who said he has been hired by the police union to represent the three officers, called the release of names by Anonymous "unfortunate," saying the investigation should be allowed to play out.

"To interrupt the flow and to threaten the release of information is tantamount to extortion of law enforcement authorities," Alterman said.

The police chief, according to NJ.com, said Platania and another officer who responded, Rich Janasiak, have been placed on administrative leave, and that Travaline was only providing assistance.

The chief did not respond to calls and e-mails from The Inquirer seeking comment.

A man who called 911 the day of the incident told a dispatcher that he saw a man in the 100 block of Grape Street acting "crazy."

"He's screaming, I don't know what the hell's wrong with him," the caller said.

At one point, an officer yelled over the radio that the suspect was "trying to grab my gun." A few seconds later, another officer told responding units, "Slow down, he's in cuffs." A dog could be heard barking in the background.

White's family and activist Walter Hudson, who met with the family the day White died, had been calling for police to release the officers' names.

Hudson, chairman of the Salem County-based civil rights group National Awareness Alliance, called the disclosures "the first step toward justice."

But he criticized authorities for waiting until the video from Anonymous to disclose the names. "We shouldn't have to go through those extreme measures," Hudson said.

The video, which lasts two minutes and 21 seconds, demanded that two of the officers be placed on administrative leave, and that the canine officer be fired. The officers were not named in the video.

The video also threatened to hack into the websites of the Cumberland County Prosecutor's Office and Vineland Police Department if they did not comply.

"Vineland Police Department and the Cumberland County Prosecutor's Office have 24 hours to comply to our demands," a masked figure speaking in a computer-altered voice said in the video, posted Monday with no time stamp. "Or we will release the officers' names involved, including all personal information for each officer."

Prosecutor Jennifer Webb-McRae and First Assistant Prosecutor Harold Shapiro said they were aware of the video.

"I can't comment on the authenticity of the video," Webb-McRae said by e-mail Tuesday morning, "but we are taking the threat seriously."

Shapiro declined to say later in the day whether any official databases or other information had been breached.

The creators of the video appear to be tied to a Facebook group called "LulzSaints." Their page states, "We are a radical group of hacktivist that perform various methods of penetration testing on various websites."

The group claims to be part of the global network of hackers known as Anonymous.

The group that these guys are apparently somehow associated with posted this 13 hours ago:

https://twitter.com/LulzSaints/status/586419276023603200

Looks like they're DDoSing Vineland Police Department

I honestly can't say much more than this is obviously very interesting... I wonder how this will turn out.

"My game vs my brains, who gets more fatal errors?" ~ Camper125Lv, GMC Jam #15

Oh boy, this is going to be weird..

I don't know, not sure if I agree with Anonymous this time..

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

I dont care if the officer is right or wrong. I dont care if a criminal goes up and shoots someone. In the US we have due process. Theres no reason to now put those officers(or even a criminal), who may or may not be guilty, their families are at risk. GG internet.

A non a moose, what a jokeshow

Oh boy, this is going to be weird..

I don't know, not sure if I agree with Anonymous this time..

its not like there is a "this time" anon isn't an organized group its just a nickname neckbeards use to hide their identites, its not the same people every time.

I don't think this benefits anyone, they are going to go up and down the street about their anonymity while taking that right from others? please.  Police deserve the right to some anonymity otherwise the day could come that a cop is afraid to make a particular arrest

Intel i5-3570K/ Gigabyte GTX 1080/ Asus PA248Q/ Sony MDR-7506/MSI Z77A-G45/ NHD-14/Samsung 840 EVO 256GB+ Seagate Barracuda 3TB/ 16GB HyperX Blue 1600MHZ/  750w PSU/ Corsiar Carbide 500R

A non a moose, what a jokeshow

its not like there is a "this time" anon isn't an organized group its just a nickname neckbeards use to hide their identites, its not the same people every time.

I don't think this benefits anyone, they are going to go up and down the street about their anonymity while taking that right from others? please.  Police deserve the right to some anonymity otherwise the day could come that a cop is afraid to make a particular arrest

Usually I kinda agree with 'Anonymous' does. I look up to it. I understand they don't have a leader or whatever, but it is very interesting.

Once again, I understand that 99% of the officers are good guys with all good intentions, but this 1% seems to be screwing up at the moment (or the mainstream wants to show it now that it is booming).

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Good. We have a right to know their names, they are civil servants. Government has no right to hide information in order to save their own asses.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

As long as they don't DDoS me i'm happy

9590|EK-Copper|Sabertooth 990FXR2.0|16GB RIPJAWS Z|Dual MSI Gaming 290|Corsiar AX1200i|Corsair 760T|3TB Seagate+Dual 120GB Samsung 850EVO in Raid 0

LTT'S Official Radeon Master Race Club Founder-Predicts TitanX2 (Prediction Date: 3-30-15)

XFX Needs To Make A 3 Fan Cooler 

Usually I kinda agree with 'Anonymous' does. I look up to it. I understand they don't have a leader or whatever, but it is very interesting.

Once again, I understand that 99% of the officers are good guys with all good intentions, but this 1% seems to be screwing up at the moment (or the mainstream wants to show it now that it is booming).

Well my point is that its not a group that calls themselves anon, its just a banner that some net goons throw over themselves when ever they want to do something. Obviously some may carry over, but the anonymous that does this, might not be the same ones who do the stuff you do agree with, hell the ones you agree with might all be seperate people, there's no goal or ideas, because its just a name.

Good. We have a right to know their names, they are civil servants. Government has no right to hide information in order to save their own asses.

Sure you have the right to know who is a police officer or what not, but i see no reason why specific arrests should be made public, it puts officers in danger for no real benefit.

Intel i5-3570K/ Gigabyte GTX 1080/ Asus PA248Q/ Sony MDR-7506/MSI Z77A-G45/ NHD-14/Samsung 840 EVO 256GB+ Seagate Barracuda 3TB/ 16GB HyperX Blue 1600MHZ/  750w PSU/ Corsiar Carbide 500R

I dont care if the officer is right or wrong. I dont care if a criminal goes up and shoots someone. In the US we have due process. Theres no reason to now put those officers(or even a criminal), who may or may not be guilty, their families are at risk. GG internet.

I don't think it has anything to do with due process.  Only minors have the right to have their names kept from the press/public.  Bureaucrats are not afforded this by any law I'm aware of.  It's a huge problem when things are done in the name of "keeping it in house or in the family" rather then transparently and on even keel with everyone else.

Not that I'm down with vigilantism mind you.  But they're only asking for what should be available.

They're not, they hide the names to protect the families and to ensure the trial is fair and not pre judged by evidence which is leaked out of context.

Not protecting them BTW, they deserve everything they get but Anon should realise that leaking this stuff before the trial only helps the criminals and gives the defense grounds to have the case dismissed before its even begun.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Well my point is that its not a group that calls themselves anon, its just a banner that some net goons throw over themselves when ever they want to do something. Obviously some may carry over, but the anonymous that does this, might not be the same ones who do the stuff you do agree with, hell the ones you agree with might all be seperate people, there's no goal or ideas, because its just a name.

Sure you have the right to know who is a police officer or what not, but i see no reason why specific arrests should be made public, it puts officers in danger for no real benefit.

They're not, they hide the names to protect the families and to ensure the trial is fair and not pre judged by evidence which is leaked out of context.

Not protecting them BTW, they deserve everything they get but Anon should realise that leaking this stuff before the trial only helps the criminals and gives the defense grounds to have the case dismissed before its even begun.

If the evidence of their crimes being made public allows the criminals to get off of their charges, then maybe there is a very huge problem with our "justice system".

I don't think it has anything to do with due process.  Only minors have the right to have their names kept from the press/public.  Bureaucrats are not afforded this by any law I'm aware of.  It's a huge problem when things are done in the name of "keeping it in house or in the family" rather then transparently and on even keel with everyone else.

Not that I'm down with vigilantism mind you.  But they're only asking for what should be available.

names, and addresses are two very different things. with how the media has been pressing police brutality, I think there's a very high risk for vigilantism. Sure, there name should be published. when someone is arrested, there name is generally released. but there is zero reason or logic that their home/family should be at risk. 

for all we know, they are completely innocent. correct? the case hasnt gone anywhere just yet? Im just saying its a shame innocent people may be hurt over actions that we know may/may not have been justified. 

unrelated-ish its funny how the media seems the only police brutality cases are white officers on blacks. and its horrible how every crime between different races is a instant hate crime/race needs to be brought up. thats what I find a shame. 

and what, even if we are hopping on the racism train, are the police the only one who can commit interracial crime? Lately the media has been pushing a race against race agenda and it bothers me. apparently the only crime that matters is between races(even if  no co-orelation with racism) and police brutality. its a shame really

If the evidence of their crimes being made public allows the criminals to get off of their charges, then maybe there is a very huge problem with our "justice system".

I thinking making public who the arresting officer is could cause some people to not get arrested because it could endanger the officer and those in his life as a worst case scenario. I Just don't see why it should be public knowledge, of course i said that i agree that police officers should be public, but individual arrests being so just sounds detrimental.

I thinking making public who the arresting officer is could cause some people to not get arrested because it could endanger the officer and those in his life as a worst case scenario. I Just don't see why it should be public knowledge, of course i said that i agree that police officers should be public, but individual arrests being so just sounds detrimental.

I'll use the same argument that our government uses for spying on everyone of us.

"if they did nothing wrong, then they have nothing to fear".

If they can convince the jpjudge that their clients will not get a fair trial because of the leaked evidence the judge can dismiss the case, not likely just because of their names mind but anymore leaked info could lead to a no trial situation.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

If they can convince the jpjudge that their clients will not get a fair trial because of the leaked evidence the judge can dismiss the case, not likely just because of their names mind but anymore leaked info could lead to a no trial situation.

With evidence like this, much like the north carolina cop who shot that unarmed guy, I think a trial is pretty much going to end with a guilty verdict no matter what. We have video evidence, that's irrefutable, of them committing a violent crime.

I'll use the same argument that our government uses for spying on everyone of us.

unfortunately that isn't a two way street. an officer could do something that wouldn't be bad, but officers deal with people who break our countries laws,

Like say little wayne or some famous person gets arrested for some charge like possession or dui, and some crazed fan kills the officer or something. Whats the benefit of being transparent in 99% of cases? I think police need to have their anonymity to do their job in the most effective manner.

i see this as protections for that guys family. imagine if that was your dad and you had to go to school the next day, everyone knew what your dad just did. it should be public just now so soon, the guy will probably hang for what he did, no need to hang others too. i do completely understand where you are coming from, we do have to right to know our public servants before and after they do something like this.

Yea buddy! They were warned and they never delivered, they should of expected this :P

Does Anonymous ever take the time to highlight the good guys?

There are people out there who are dumb enough to generalize that all cops are bad, just because the stories they see on TV and the internet are about the bad ones.

CPU  5820k - 4.0GHz @ 1.27V  |  MOBO X99-Pro  |  RAM 16GB Ballistic @ 2133MHz  |  PSU HX750i 

COOLING  Kraken X61 - 6x NF-A14 iPPC  |  DRIVES  256GB 950 Pro - 2x 1TB Travelstar - 1x 1TB WD Black

GPU  EVGA GTX980 SC |  CASE  R5  |  OS  Win 8.1 Pro  |  MISC   Cablemod C-Series White Set

for all we know, they are completely innocent. correct? the case hasnt gone anywhere just yet? Im just saying its a shame innocent people may be hurt over actions that we know may/may not have been justified.

There's a difference between the benefit of the doubt and willful ignorance.  The video is there, and the man is dead.  Pretty sure this case will be about the degree of guilt, context and why; more so then "if" it happened.

And again, others do not enjoy such identity protections when they're accused of a crime.  A murderer has parents, co-workers or maybe even siblings, cousins and children who "could" get this whiplash through no fault of their own.  Does anyone give a fig then?  Do the media or cops consider that a reason to withhold the identities of the accused when it's not "one of their own"?  I think that withholding the officers identities to protect their families is a load of bollocks.

Good but remember: work dick pictures into your analogy too.

-------

Current Rig

-------

There's a difference between the benefit of the doubt and willful ignorance.  The video is there, and the man is dead.  Pretty sure this case will be about the degree of guilt, context and why; more so then "if" it happened.

And again, others do not enjoy such identity protections when they're accused of a crime.  A murderer has parents, co-workers or maybe even siblings, cousins and children who "could" get this whiplash through no fault of their own.  Does anyone give a fig then?  Do the media or cops consider that a reason to withhold the identities of the accused when it's not "one of their own"?  I think that withholding the officers identities to protect their families is a load of bollocks.

my main point is the names are okay to give up, like they are in any other case. 

my concern is their address was leaked. that opens a whole new door to family or others getting hurt. 

and just like with any case, just because someone was killed, does not mean its murder. People take the stand your ground law and abuse it, but if it legitmently is my life or theirs, Im going home to my family. not this case, but overall. 

and just like with any case, just because someone was killed, does not mean its murder.

I don't think  "context" will somehow make those 8 shots in the back "warning shots" or "self defense" against a man that's running away from you

-------

Current Rig

-------