The Apple Watch Reviews are Here (Verge, NYT, CNET, etc.)

-snip-

Let me add some too 

LG Watch Urbane

lg-watch-urbane-14.jpg

Huawei Watch

gsmarena_002.jpg

And Square?

Asus ZenWatch

obzor-lu-ie-smartfony-plan-ety-i-aksessu

The moto 360 is a decent looker, but has plenty of short comings, they failed to make a round display, which cuts off some notifications, it has a super old slow processor, super poor battery life etc

They failed to make a round display?

Uh...

Whatever.

The Apple watch also seems to lag and also has poor battery life.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

The moto 360 is a decent looker, but has plenty of short comings, they failed to make a round display, which cuts off some notifications, it has a super old slow processor, super poor battery life etc

The apple watch seems to have all day battery life, not forgetting its emergency time mode, which android wear does not have, middling performance is not the same as judder and slowdowns

Its not getting a free pass.. all the reviews say " probably the best smartwatch yet.. but far from perfect"

I think functionality wise, aesthetically, that it comes in 2 sizes, awesome band and colour options etc - its got more right than it has wrong, and just needs battery battery life, a bit more performance etc and I think it will be close to perfect

uh.... the moto 360 has an all day battery life by apple standards as well.

Android Wear has that its called ambient display mode.

I think you just proved what i said previously? lol

SNIP

I did not say that andriod wear watches were all bad, just that there are more bad ones than good ones, and all have plenty of shortcomings

ambient display mode yes, but at the cost of functionality, the apple watch AFAIK has the watch mode only after the battery gets low - so that if you forget to charge, the next day you still have a watch

They failed to make a round display?

Uh...

Whatever.

The Apple watch also seems to lag and also has poor battery life.

Yes, lets make a watch.. called the 360.. with a ...not round display, yet other companies have managed, its seriously a negative aspect from both a UI standpoint (cut off notifications) and from an aesthetic one, its ugly to have part of the screen missing

The battery life seems fine, I think everyone will get a full day of relatively heavy use out of it, and even when it hits low battery the clock function still works for like an extra day whcih is cool  - Android Wear DOES NOT have this function

Battery life is definately the Achilles heel of ALL smart watches , nobody can escape that (maybe the pebble but that has its own compromises)

Performance seems decent so far, not perfect, no far from..but perhaps an update or two can fix that 

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I did not say that andriod wear watches were all bad, just that there are more bad ones than good ones, and all have plenty of shortcomings

The battery life seems fine, I think everyone will get a full day of relatively heavy use out of it, and even when it hits low battery the clock function still works for like an extra day whcih is cool  - Android Wear DOES NOT have this function

Battery life is definately the Achilles heel of ALL smart watches , nobody can escape that (maybe the pebble but that has its own compromises)

Performance seems decent so far, not perfect, no far from..but perhaps an update or two can fix that 

This is what i mean in my first post

lenty of shortcommings? I mean lol are you serious. YEs they do have plenty of short comings. the same shortcomings the Apple watch have, why are we giving apple a free pass?

I've addressed the battery thing inb the previous post, But performance? LOL the moto 360 was getting whacked left right and center for stuttering in certain things and yet the apple watch which is doing the same thing gets a pass for "future" updates. it's insane.

Edit the Verge, CNET, WSJ, re/code,  would have something to say about its battery life.

This is what i mean in my first post

lenty of shortcommings? I mean lol are you serious. YEs they do have plenty of short comings. the same shortcomings the Apple watch have, why are we giving apple a free pass?

I've addressed the battery thing inb the previous post, But performance? LOL the moto 360 was getting whacked left right and center for stuttering in certain things and yet the apple watch which is doing the same thing gets a pass for "future" updates. it's insane.

Yes they both have plenty of short comings - but so far, from a functionality and design standpoint, I think the Apple watch is ahead of the pack here, 

The Apple watch performance from watching people play with it, does not seem as bad, Apple have done really well at improving performance through updates from my own experiance, people said the same for the Moto 360, but it never happened

Nobody is giving it a "free pass" every review I have read says "slow apps, 1 day battery life" etc - NOBODY has ignored those two points

About the battery life

this article says the battery life is better than expected 

QUOTE " After more than a week of daily use, Apple Watch has more than alleviated any concerns I had about getting through a day on a single charge. I noted the remaining charge when I went to bed each night. It was usually still in the 30s or 40s. Once it was still over 50 percent charged. Once, it was down to 27. And one day — last Thursday — it was all the way down to 5 percent. But that day was an exception "

http://bgr.com/2015/04/08/apple-watch-battery-life-specs-hours/

REVIEWS

Cnet - 3.5/5 - performance, battery life

Verge - 7/10 _performance, battery life

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Yes they both have plenty of short comings - but so far, from a functionality and design standpoint, I think the Apple watch is ahead of the pack here, 

The Apple watch performance from watching people play with it, does not seem as bad, Apple have done really well at improving performance through updates from my own experiance, people said the same for the Moto 360, but it never happened

Nobody is giving it a "free pass" every review I have read says "slow apps, 1 day battery life" etc - NOBODY has ignored those two points

About the battery life

this article says the battery life is better than expected 

QUOTE " After more than a week of daily use, Apple Watch has more than alleviated any concerns I had about getting through a day on a single charge. I noted the remaining charge when I went to bed each night. It was usually still in the 30s or 40s. Once it was still over 50 percent charged. Once, it was down to 27. And one day — last Thursday — it was all the way down to 5 percent. But that day was an exception "

http://bgr.com/2015/04/08/apple-watch-battery-life-specs-hours/

In case you didn't see my battery life thing the VergeCNETWSJre/code,  would have something to say about its battery life. I think BGR is the odd one out.

I can;t believe you;re still saying they have a lead in terms of DESIGN. that alone is a HUGE pass there in it self. when square watches came out EVERYONE and their mom hated it. called it an abomination. But I digress, its obvious you are one of the people i was referencing in my very first post here so I'm just gonna leave it at that.

Oh and btw the Moto 360 got an update that improved battery life.  and also to improve perf.

In case you didn't see my battery life thing the VergeCNETWSJre/code,  would have something to say about its battery life. I think BGR is the odd one out.

I can;t believe you;re still saying they have a lead in terms of DESIGN. that alone is a HUGE pass there in it self. when square watches came out EVERYONE and their mom hated it. called it an abomination. But I digress, its obvious you are one of the people i was referencing in my very first post here so I'm just gonna leave it at that.

Oh and btw the Moto 360 got an update that improved battery life.  and also to improve perf.

The battery life very much depends how people using it, people testing it are certainly going to drain the battery faster tahn regular users, after a few weeks of fun heavy use, eventually you will have the watch set up, and just use it normally - so we might see that change

People I know using other smart watches manage just fine 

I do think the design is gorgeous, that is my honest opinion, I think its a beautiful piece of kit

Yes it did get some improvements - and there you go, it was covered online too!

if you didnt see above, the watch review scores - hardly 10/10 - they are not giving it perfect scores or a free pass.. at all...

REVIEWS

The battery life very much depends how people using it, people testing it are certainly going to drain the battery faster tahn regular users, after a few weeks of fun heavy use, eventually you will have the watch set up, and just use it normally - so we might see that change

People I know using other smart watches manage just fine 

I do think the design is gorgeous, that is my honest opinion, I think its a beautiful piece of kit

Yes it did get some improvements - and there you go, it was covered online too!

if you didnt see above, the watch review scores - hardly 10/10 - they are not giving it perfect scores or a free pass.. at all...

REVIEWS

Okay fine. Last reply

For design, I'm not gonna say much cause I do accept it's about personal taste. but I for one still find the zen watch much nicer looking than the apple watch. And I'm giving apple a handicap by not including the round watches already.

Battery life is  very dependant on whos using it yes. But then why are you touting better battery life for the apple watch earlier? The review sites might have marked it down in their scores too yea, but have you read the conclusion? It's so flowery/rosy it's abit disgusting. (referencing the verge cause i actually read through and watched the entire video.) Thats my complaint. If you go view other smart watches reviews (Worse if you view the square ones) you see that yes they'll have their design praised yada yada. but the overall tone of it as compared to apple products is so bloody different. The moto 360 got slammed for battery life by the verge, also middling perf compared to the rest. Look at the apple watch review, It's mentioned yes but it's put across so lightly as compared to the moto 360. How is that not a free pass? Just to give you an example the apple watch has 7 as its  score  for the verge, wanna guess how much they gave the moto 360? a 5. Tell me thats not a free pass for apple?

TL;DR Free passes don;t mean that it's flaws aren;t mentioned. Free passes is when a product flaws is trivialised in comparison to other products

SNIP

I guess it depends on the overall impression left

Like maybe you buy a Ferrari and its just amazing fun, but it gets poor milage, there is nowhere for your kids to sit, and it breaks down every week, but overall you give it a positive score, because it looks amazing and feels great to drive

Reviews are not objective.... they are not a list of pros and cons or a mathematical algorithm to determine a score

They are subjective, written by one specific person, about how they felt when using the product - a product is more than the sum of its parts

Just something to bear in mind, if the person reviewing it, had an overall positive time and experience, their review will reflect that mind

I hope that makes sense

I guess it depends on the overall impression left

Like maybe you buy a Ferrari and its just amazing fun, but it gets poor milage, there is nowhere for your kids to sit, and it breaks down every week, but overall you give it a positive score, because it looks amazing and feels great to drive

Reviews are not objective.... they are not a list of pros and cons or a mathematical algorithm to determine a score

They are subjective, written by one specific person, about how they felt when using the product - a product is more than the sum of its parts

Just something to bear in mind, if the person reviewing it, had an overall positive time and experience, their review will reflect that mind

I hope that makes sense

Once again. I understand that.

But I think theres something to be said when just the BRAND alone causes there to be such a mindshift when using the product. And as i've mentioned in my very first post in this article, It jujst shows how much people almost seemingly blindly love Apple.

Once again. I understand that.

But I think theres something to be said when just the BRAND alone causes there to be such a mindshift when using the product. And as i've mentioned in my very first post in this article, It jujst shows how much people almost seemingly blindly love Apple.

Yeah I guess there an element of that, its hard to explain why certain brands get treated in certain ways

I mean, I am an Apple fan myself, yet.. besides iPhone an iPad, I do not own a mac, they just do not make one that suits my needs.. BUT , I still have the opinion that they are some of the best laptops available

I find it hard to explain my mindset here, its just purely based on feelings, not rational objective thought, but I spend money to make myself happy, not just to meet end goals

I mean my iPhone, there is a massive list of cons, but I enjoy using it.. just holding it, feeling it, using it - I enjoy it more than the android devices I own - even if on paper they have some pros that I could really use

I am afraid I have no answers, but yeah, reviews are a dangerous topic, they are an imprint of the mind of the review, like I love totalbisucit, but I often disagree with his view, but I respect that his view, is his opinion - however, some people will just go "oh totalbiscuit said this game is great so I will get it" or "he said it sucks, everyone spread that its shit"

Yeah I guess there an element of that, its hard to explain why certain brands get treated in certain ways

I mean, I am an Apple fan myself, yet.. besides iPhone an iPad, I do not own a mac, they just do not make one that suits my needs.. BUT , I still have the opinion that they are some of the best laptops available

I find it hard to explain my mindset here, its just purely based on feelings, not rational objective thought, but I spend money to make myself happy, not just to meet end goals

I mean my iPhone, there is a massive list of cons, but I enjoy using it.. just holding it, feeling it, using it - I enjoy it more than the android devices I own - even if on paper they have some pros that I could really use

I am afraid I have no answers, but yeah, reviews are a dangerous topic, they are an imprint of the mind of the review, like I love totalbisucit, but I often disagree with his view, but I respect that his view, is his opinion - however, some people will just go "oh totalbiscuit said this game is great so I will get it" or "he said it sucks, everyone spread that its shit"

That is true. I agree that to some extent that emotion comes into it all. and that muddles it all.

What i can;t stand however is when people start being blinded by their emotional attachment to a brand or product and try to put their emotional feelings and say it as objective/subjective qulaities...now thats where i take offense and am abit peeved at. Which was my probelm with your first few statements abotu battery life being better. when it just clearly isn't. 

Other than that I have no qualms about the apple watch. it is still just a smart watch. and nothing more. It's the people who try and forcefeed wrong info that gets me going. other than that yea. no problem with you or the watch. 

I'm just saying my piece like everyone here. and I don;t want to see wrong facts being pushed around.

SNIP

I agree and well said

Has Linus commented on weather or not he'll be reviewing one? 

Hopefully he'll manage to get his hands on one. Also looking forward to the LTT community reviews of it!

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series? 

I bet @LinusTech will make a review of it, but he will do the sport edition, not the higher cost models due to the lack of functionality for the price. 

Also, has anyone heard anything about third party apple watch bands?  A metal clasp does not cost hundreds of dollars. 

Aesthetics of rigs matter

If you're interested, participate in LTT Build Offs

I bet @LinusTech will make a review of it, but he will do the sport edition, not the higher cost models due to the lack of functionality for the price. 

Also, has anyone heard anything about third party apple watch bands?  A metal clasp does not cost hundreds of dollars. 

not yet, im sure they will come though!

Found something @ShadowCaptain

Great find! I imagine.. . i would of bet money, that somebody will make an adapter that lets you fit standard watch straps

In fact, it now makes me want one even more

• 5 months later...

douse any one know how well the watch in noise places (i drive tractors)