overvolting when PSU is near limits?

VioDuskar
Go to solution Solved by ObeseWalrus,

PC partpicker says my system draws about 721W.

my PSU is a 750PSU bronze 80+ blah blah.

anyway, what you think about overvolting to overclock my two GPUs?

i know that overvolting isn't going to absorb that extra 29Watts, but what is your opinion?

i've put this PSU through hell before.

-force discharging it (flipped the circuit breaker)

-dunked in the mineral oil

-cut off the sides

-called it mean names

should i get a new PSU soon to have more draw room?

should i have any worries when overvolting to overclock?

pcpartpicker for those who don't want to check my profile:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/VgJjK8

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones. 

sweet, brb.

i have seen other wattage estimators, but they only allow for 1 GPU

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones. 

750W PSU 80+ bronze?. Which means you're only getting about 680W of stable power..... Yes a better PSU would be a good idea.

with 10% capacity aging that tool says minimum 712W recommended 767

but i've had this PSU like.... 3 years. running nearly 24/7

Yes a better PSU is a must... 

850w 80+ gold or higher would be ideal...

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

750W PSU 80+ bronze?. Which means you're only getting about 680W of stable power..... Yes a better PSU would be a good idea.

Yes a better PSU is a must... 

850w 80+ gold or higher would be ideal...

i've been eyeing a HX1200 from corsair, but lately other LTT forum users have been ripping on the components used in corsair PSUs.

you guys have any suggestions? i might even go to 3-way SLI later with my 980s.

i've been eyeing a HX1200 from corsair, but lately other LTT forum users have been ripping on the components used in corsair PSUs.

Take a very good look at EVGA Supernova G2 PSU's 

They are based on Superflowers Leadex platform that has been getting praise all around.

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=377

If you want to join a really cool Discord chatroom with some great guys here from LTT and outside this community then PM me!

Take a very good look at EVGA Supernova G2 PSU's 

They are based on Superflowers Leadex platform that has been getting praise all around.

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=377

i have seen alot of people talk about the EVGA supernova, why? i'm very ingorant when it comes to PSUs.

what makes the supernova better?

I would suggest Superflower PSUs but I don't think they are readily available in the USA.

PSUs from EVGA SuperNova line are quite robust (SuperFlower OEMs for them). Something like the EVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G2 would be cool.

Also.... maybe use the money for a third 980 for a more efficient CPU perhaps?  

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

I run an AX1500i PSU. I have issues with it, but once it finally recognised it had to supply power to a component it's been running flawlessly.

Also.... maybe use the money for a third 980 for a more efficient CPU perhaps?  

i don't plan on getting a third 980 until i swap over to a DDR4 MB with in intel socket. i'm done with AMD for now.

i got my 9590 because i was upgrading from a 1090T and didn't have the money to go DDR4.

i have seen alot of people talk about the EVGA supernova, why? i'm very ingorant when it comes to PSUs.

what makes the supernova better?

Excellent component quality and 10 years warranty.

If you want to join a really cool Discord chatroom with some great guys here from LTT and outside this community then PM me!

That's not how power supplies work. A 750W psu will deliver 750W. It will draw more power from the wall according to its efficiency.

Molex to SATA, lose all your data

Excellent component quality and 10 years warranty.

thoughts?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA24G28N0888

-called it mean names

Considering that, I would advise against it.  It just might take revenge.

In all seriousness though, it won't make more than a few Watts difference.  You'll need a new PSU anyway though, this one is running too close to the limit IMO.  850W should suffice.

Good deal, buy it.

any idea is EVGA offers those kick ass custom braided cables? that was kind of another thing i was going to get with the HX1200i from corsair.

i don't plan on getting a third 980 until i swap over to a DDR4 MB with in intel socket. i'm done with AMD for now.

i got my 9590 because i was upgrading from a 1090T and didn't have the money to go DDR4.

Solid choice

Found this review: http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&file=print&reid=389 

any idea is EVGA offers those kick ass custom braided cables? that was kind of another thing i was going to get with the HX1200i from corsair.

are these what i'm talking about?

http://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=100-CR-1300-B9

they say p2, which is what the 1200W seems to be.

just checked, seems to be compatible :D

I have spotted the problem , 9590.

That cpu consumes a metric but ton of power.

Yeah and you are bottlenecking those 980s quite hard , the minimum fps most be terrible.

You will probably need a 850 W psu.

Dont go tri SLI 980 , just dont .

Your cpu is already bottlenecking two 980s considerably.

Even an i3 gets better minimum fps with SLI setups.

67510.png

Cablemod has all kinds of sleeved cables for EVGA PSU's

Yeah and you are bottlenecking those 980s quite hard , the minimum fps most be terrible.

this isn't a bottle neck thread, i already know my CPU is a wattage beast. and i see your chart, but i'm not that worried.

you say HEAVY bottle necking, but it isnt that terrible. (also your chart is for a GTX770)

as i said earlier in this thread i'm going to be going intel once DDR4 gets cheaper. an i can afford to do so. (maybe next year, probably not.)

i'm getting fine performance, so i'm really not worried.

this thread is about PSUs. and i think i've got my solution.

67510.png

With the TDP of 220W, I might say that you need better PSU, around 850W+.... That CPU itself already consumed tons of power, doesn't include the 2x 980. When you add those you'll have tighter space for the PSU. You shouldn't overvolt now, later when you have better PSU.

Where I hang out: The Garage - Car Enthusiast Club

My cars: 2006 Mazda RX-8 (MT) | 2014 Mazda 6 (AT) | 2009 Honda Jazz (AT)

PC Specs

Indonesia

CPU: i5-4690 | Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 | Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB | Power Supply: Corsair CX500 | Video Card: MSI GTX 970

Storage: Kingston V300 120GB & WD Blue 1TB | Network Card: ASUS PCE-AC56 | Peripherals: Microsoft Wired 600 & Logitech G29 + Shifter

Australia 

CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G | Motherboard: MSI - B450 Tomahawk | Memory: Mushkin - 8GB (1 x 8GB) | Storage: Mushkin 250GB & Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB
Video Card: GIGABYTE - RX 580 8GB | Case: Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower | Power Supply: Avolv 550W 80+ Gold

With the TDP of 220W, I might say that you need better PSU, around 850W+.... That CPU itself already consumed tons of power, doesn't include the 2x 980. When you add those you'll have tighter space for the PSU. You shouldn't overvolt now, later when you have better PSU.

i'm going to mark this as solved so we don't keep going over the same points....