Two Expansions Announced for The Witcher 3

Whats sad is that CDPR is offering a preorder season pass for a preorder game. 

And you all are lapping it up like the mindless dogs you are.

What happened to down with preorders and not supporting this pathetic money grab attempt by developers and publishers? 

I'm pretty certain there's only been one person in this thread who's said they've already preordered the game (and not necessarily preordered the season pass). Everybody else is discussing whether CDPR is going back on their word by offering paid expansions, and whether these expansions are good value.

I have no idea where you're getting this 'lapping it up like mindless dogs' thing.

EDIT: My mistake, the OP also mentioned he had preordered. But he also said he's thinking about cancelling, so that's hardly a case of 'mindlessly lapping things up'.

You lot are being thick. They promised they wouldn't charge for feature creep and small, insubstantial additions. And they aren't, that's the "free" dlc. These, the expansions, are more story content. Which is perfectly acceptable to charge for.

I don't see how I'm being thick when I said that I'd be glad to pay for it.

Their DLC is free, their expansions cost. What's the problem?

DLCs add some horse armor and other minor shit, while expansions add storyline and expand the game vastly. They will be available 6 months after rather than at release too. How come Oblivions and Skyrims expansions were all good and sexy when they came out ?

Other companies announce DLC before the game even releases "BURN THE FUCKERS"

CDPR announces DLC before the game ships "OMG WE LOVE YOU GUYS PLEASE HAVE OUR BABIES"

Thats what some people sound like. 

Expansions /=/ SC2 did the same, so did Elder Scrolls.

10HRS+ Isn't a DLC. 

Intel 4790 K - R9 295X2 - Gigabyte Z97-SLI - Corsair Vengeance Pro Black 1866 CAL9 - Corsair HX 1000 -Samsung 850 EVO SSD - Samsung HDD - H100I - Corsair C70 - G400 Logitech - Asus VS247H - WASD custom mechanical and QCKPAD! 

Staples of LTT: Getting an 4690 K will resurrect your lost family members, AMD = More heat thus AMD = Satan. 

Oh since this is CDPR everyone is okay with this? Where as EA announces premium and everyone starts bashing them for DLC before the game is even released?

@Victorious Secret you sir know what im taking about.

These guys simply can't be the white Knight everyone is looking at.

These guys have to be a wolf in sheeps clothing just like Valve. Just like the rest of the big publishers and corporations

Oh since this is CDPR everyone is okay with this? Where as EA announces premium and everyone starts bashing them for DLC before the game is even released?

@Victorious Secret you sir know what im taking about.

These guys simply can't be the white Knight everyone is looking at.

These guys have to be a wolf in sheeps clothing just like Valve. Just like the rest of the big publishers and corporations

How exactly do you want people to act? Apparently, you'll complain if people bandwagon-hate on EA for releasing DLC. And now you'll complain because people aren't bandwagon-hating on CDPR.

I understand if you dislike hypocrisy, but have you been keeping track of each user in this thread to see how they've responded to something like this in the past? No? Then you can't assume that everybody here is operating under a double standard.

Secondly, nobody here(for the most part) is groveling at CDPR's feet and calling for instant preorders. IMO, I would characterize the posts here as cautious optimism more than anything else. Mindless bandwagoning sucks, I get it. But grasping at straws to try and make yourself seem superior to everybody else is just as annoying. 

When i saw this post i thought "oh shit, i forgot to pre-order this". Then when i went to put in a pre-order, i realized that i had already pre-ordered it weeks ago. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Also, i hope they don't charge like £10 for DLC, maybe £3 at most.

It's over 20 hours of new content, you can't expect all that for just £3, that's just stupid.

How exactly do you want people to act? Apparently, you'll complain if people bandwagon-hate and EA for releasing DLC. And now you'll complain because people aren't bandwagon-hating on CDPR.

I understand if you dislike hypocrisy, but have you been keeping track of each user in this thread to see how they've responded to something like this in the past? No? Then you can't assume that everybody here is operating under a double standard.

Secondly, nobody here(for the most part) is groveling at CDPR's feet and calling for instant preorders. IMO, I would characterize the posts here as cautious optimism more than anything else. Mindless bandwagoning sucks, I get it. But grasping at straws to try and make yourself seem superior to everybody else is just as annoying. 

I agree. I feel the general consensus here is that people are happy IF they keep to their word of bring 30+ hours of added gameplay but not with the timing of it which I think is the biggest issue. I don't like DLC's because I feel that the dev is taking something out of the game to sell later on and the fact they announced it before the release adds fuel to that flame.

On a side note I hope that the added areas add them in-game rather than as a side-loadable area.

with the game time you get out of it, I have no problem with the purchase.

1. GLaDOS: i5 6600 EVGA GTX 1070 FE EVGA Z170 Stinger Cooler Master GeminS524 V2 With LTT Noctua NFF12 Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB 3200 MHz Corsair SF450 850 EVO 500 Gb CableMod Widebeam White LED 60cm 2x Asus VN248H-P, Dell 12" G502 Proteus Core Logitech G610 Orion Cherry Brown Logitech Z506 Sennheiser HD 518 MSX
  2. Lenovo Z40 i5-4200U GT 820M 6 GB RAM 840 EVO 120 GB
  3. Moto X4 G.Skill 32 GB Micro SD Spigen Case Project Fi

I'm not against the expansion packs existing or being in development at ALL, but there's something about marketing them before the release of the base game that peeves me.  Doesn't matter who does it.  I'd rather the marketing team bug the technical team to cough up some 4K footage and make some new trailers to blow our pants off.

ExMachina (2016-Present) i7-6700k/GTX970/32GB RAM/250GB SSD

Picard II (2015-Present) Surface Pro 4 i5-6300U/8GB RAM/256GB SSD

LlamaBox (2014-Present) i7-4790k/GTX 980Ti/16GB RAM/500GB SSD/Asus ROG Swift

Kronos (2009-2014) i7-920/GTX680/12GB RAM/120GB SSD

Didn't they say there wouldn't be paid DLC or rather season passes? Well I guess it's an expansion...

I'm not against the expansion packs existing or being in development at ALL, but there's something about marketing them before the release of the base game that peeves me.  Doesn't matter who does it.  I'd rather the marketing team bug the technical team to cough up some 4K footage and make some new trailers to blow our pants off.

It's a marketing tactic specifically for console folks, to try and keep them for trading in their copies of the game. I'm not overly fond of it either, but I understand why companies do it. At least it's not coming out until several months later.

I don't understand you people.
They are releasing 200+ hours game, I say that's worth the 60$ you are paying for it. if you are happy with that just buy the base game, but you guys want them to keep making new content for the game and release it for free, I don't understand how game studio is supposed to profit here. DLC is in no way an expansion. BFBC Vietnam is not china rising form BF4.

Slowly...In the hollows of the trees, In the shadow of the leaves, In the space between the waves, In the whispers of the wind,In the bottom of the well, In the darkness of the eaves...

Slowly places that had been silent for who knows how long... Stopped being Silent.

They said there will be 16 free DLCs and these are expansions which is a bigger package and extension to the game. So I can see it having a price ofc.
Some don't even read news...

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

I have no issue here.... Base game is a great value that they are polishing up before release. After release they'll have separate teams work on the expansions and will release them when they're all polished and ready to go as well. It doesn't mean they will not have enough manpower to take care of any bugs or glitches that may arise. I'm all for extra story when it comes to the Witcher series.

CPU:i7 5930k @4.5 Mobo:x99 Deluxe RAM:32gb Corsair @2800 GPU: SLI EVGA Titan X Case: Corsair 900D Storage: 6x 4TB Seagate SSHD(raid5), 2x500gb Samsung 850 Evo Raid0 PSU: Corsair ax1500i Audio: Asus Essence STX

Well if they are asking $24.99 for 30 hours of aditionat gameplay then that is not bad at all. Most games these days last 10 hours at most and they ask $60.

Also I got Witcher 1 and 2 for $5 bundled on Steam which was a steal.. so I dont mind if I have to pay a little bit extra.

The biggest problem I have with these DLCs is that I am waiting for quite a long time for this game and months before it is relased I hear mostly about how the DLCs are going to be awesome.... Just give me the goddamn game already :(

I understand why fans of this particular studio would be upset. But I personally have no problem paying for worthwhile dlc, especially if its going to add 30 hours of content. Plus, I'm sure CDPR will deliver additional content worth playing, they don't really make bad things in my opinion.

Actual fans of the studio would know what their position on the matter has been for a long time.

http://tmi.kotaku.com/the-witcher-3-guys-promise-theyll-do-dlc-right-1595359101

http://i.imgur.com/W6MAzDd.png

It's not surprising to me the sort of people who are getting all butt hurt. The idiots in this thread that can't fully comprehend the situation at hand should probably just go to the steam discussions to complain, since that's where all the "OMG EXPANSION PASS FOR CONTENT THAT'S COMING OUT IN A YEAR OMFG! YOU SAID NO DLC!" cool people hang out.

Thank you, @carolkarine , I think I've seen you in another witcher 3 thread, sorting out at the bullcrap. I can't be bothered to read more than the first page.

The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn't understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had.

Actual fans of the studio would know what their position on the matter has been for a long time.

http://tmi.kotaku.com/the-witcher-3-guys-promise-theyll-do-dlc-right-1595359101

http://i.imgur.com/W6MAzDd.png

It's not surprising to me the sort of people who are getting all butt hurt. The idiots in this thread that can't fully comprehend the situation at hand should probably just go to the steam discussions to complain, since that's where all the "OMG EXPANSION PASS FOR CONTENT THAT'S COMING OUT IN A YEAR OMFG! YOU SAID NO DLC!" cool people hang out.

Thank you, @carolkarine , I think I've seen you in another witcher 3 thread, sorting out at the bullcrap. I can't be bothered to read more than the first page.

I do my best to sort the misinformation out for people when it comes to witcher 3. I love the franchise and I don't want it spoiled for people before they try it due to bad press pre-release.

Daily Driver:

Case: Red Prodigy CPU: i5 3570K @ 4.3 GHZ GPU: Powercolor PCS+ 290x @1100 mhz MOBO: Asus P8Z77-I CPU Cooler: NZXT x40 RAM: 8GB 2133mhz AMD Gamer series Storage: A 1TB WD Blue, a 500GB WD Blue, a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

Guys it isn't DLC, it is 2 new expansions with more than 30 hours of content! 30 hours of content is more than what most games have in their whole release these days. DLC is like $3 for 5 new swords, or $3 for 5 new armor sets, or mounts, or followers, or pay to win BS, etc.  Adding new world areas is not DLC, they are expansions.  This is how companies used to do it, remember, like D2: LOD or AoE: Rise of Rome for example. 

The reason we are hearing about this before the release is twofold.  1, to add hype. 2, because content development of the game has been done for a while, and it has been passed off to a bug fixing team now.  The original content development team is obviously already working on the next batch of content, which is these expansion packs.

PC: CPU - FX 8350 @4.5 Ghz | GPU - 3x R9 290 @1100 core/1300 memory | Motherboard - Asus Crosshair V Formula Z | RAM - 16 GB Mushkin Redline 1866 Mhz | PSU - Corsair AX 860w | SSD - ADATA SX900 256 GB | HDD - Seagate 3TB 7200RPM | CPU Cooler - Noctua NH D-14 | Case - Cooler Master HAF Stacker 935

Peripherals: Monitor - ASUS VN248H-P IPS | Keyboard - Corsair K70 | Mouse - Corsair M65 | Headphones - ASUS ROG Orion Pro

I love what these guys do and put out. My issue with this is the fact they've gone back on what they've said about paid DLC. I want this game to do well because of who they are and what they do but contradicting themselves isn't helping.

Didnt they just say they wouldnt do day 1 paid dlc? There's nothing wrong with an expansion 6 month or a year after release.

Didnt they just say they wouldnt do day 1 paid dlc? There's nothing wrong with an expansion 6 month or a year after release.

Nah, they said they're against paid DLC and that the DLC's they'd release will be free of charge. In that interview though they mostly referred to stuff with little content. Awesome company but they seriously need a better PR team and watch what they say in public. Also I really do hope this isn't stuff taken from the game to be developed and released afterwards. I don't think they'd do that but funny things happen in the video game industry.

I really don't see the problem. CDPRed is all about going back to the old days in distribution.

I can somewhat understand why people would get angry since DLC nowadays is a couple short hours of play for 15 dollars, but they're trying to distinguish between dlc and an expansion pack. No company in the right mind would work on post-content for several months, equaling 30+ hours of gameplay, new characters, an entirely new setting, and send it out for free. The pricing is fair, as it is barely half of what the base game costs. 

On top of that, they're already releasing 16 DLC packages for free with the base game. What more could you ask for?

Basically they gave gamers an inch, to which they now demand a mile.

I love what these guys do and put out. My issue with this is the fact they've gone back on what they've said about paid DLC. I want this game to do well because of who they are and what they do but contradicting themselves isn't helping.

They haven't gone back on it at all. They said they'd never charge for small DLC and if there was something long and big enough then they'd charge. Hence 16 free little DLC with the standard game, and £20 for 30+hours of expansion. How anyone can complain at that level of content for such a low price as well as free content is totally beyond me. 

AMD Ryzen 5900x, Nvidia RTX 3080 (MSI Gaming X-trio), ASrock X570 Extreme4, 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB @ 3200mhz CL16, Corsair MP600 1TB, Intel 660P 1TB, Corsair HX1000, Corsair 680x, Corsair H100i Platinum

Other companies announce DLC before the game even releases "BURN THE FUCKERS"

CDPR announces DLC before the game ships "OMG WE LOVE YOU GUYS PLEASE HAVE OUR BABIES"

Thats what some people sound like.

Aye, it's getting a little tiresome with projekt getting a free pass on everything.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Nah, they said they're against paid DLC and that the DLC's they'd release will be free of charge. In that interview though they mostly referred to stuff with little content. Awesome company but they seriously need a better PR team and watch what they say in public. Also I really do hope this isn't stuff taken from the game to be developed and released afterwards. I don't think they'd do that but funny things happen in the video game industry.

Well, according to the post from @ThatGuyWhoTwirlsHisPen it seems like they were pretty clear about their stance on paid DLC/expansions. I wouldn't fault their PR team for the fact that some people misunderstood/misremembered what was stated. (Unless there have been interviews/statements since then that contradict this?)