What GTX 970 should I purchase?

I hope OP doesn't mind but I want to ask. From I read here looks like the EVGA SSC is like the second good choice ? I am thinking about what 970 to buy in the hopefully near future for my new build and I wouldn't want to have G1 in a case with window because imo the cooler looks like somebody built it in a shed.

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler

Check out Zotacs AMP extreme core edition. => http://www.zotac.com/products/graphics-cards/geforce-900-series/product/geforce-900-series/detail/geforce-gtx-970-amp-extreme-core-edition-zt-90107-10p.html

• Awesome OC out of the box. Benchmarks showing it within 2 fps to gtx 980s.
  • VERY silent. Even used in some super silent builds from the guys that benchmarked Linus silent PC.
  • One of the least annoying 970 concerning coil whine, only second to the one from CaseKing (that one is a good deal slower tho).

It is on the upper end of pricing, but well worth it.

says me. they're warmer than any other partner card, and the caps on them are minimal, refference clocks are low compared to board partners. 

pros as stated above though,  water blocks.

The closed cooler designs are only a few degrees warmer.

And you said the reference cooler sucks, not card, prooving your whole point invalid

Lets all ripperoni in pepperoni

never buy refference coolers. they suck.

That's the case with AMD's R9 290/x reference coolers about it's plain wrong to say that about Nvidia's reference cooler. 

My Pc: Cpu: I7 4790k @ 4,8 Ghz @1,25 volts, Motherboard: Maximus VII Formula, Graphicscard: 2x Titan X @1,4 at stock voltage (soon to be replaced), Ram: 32 gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133 Cl 9, SSD: 2x 850 Pro 1 Tb in Raid 0, 2x Samsung 840 Evo 1 tb raid 1,, PSU: Corsair HXi Series 1000W 80+ Platinum, Case: H440. Soon to be watercooled again, maybe, probably, the Titans are too loud. 

The closed cooler designs are only a few degrees warmer.

And you said the reference cooler sucks, not card, prooving your whole point invalid

i believe you just validated my point.

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones. 

Get the G1 Gaming, absolutely love the card, runs cool, quiet, and fast. (Follow linus' tutorial on vessel or wait around a week for it to come out on youtube to enable 0 rpm mode, I just did it and it worked flawlessly)

It's @Lays tutorial

PEWDIEPIE DONT CROSS THAT BRIDGE

If your overclocking, eh, and I personally don't like the cooler...

If you really want to do overclocking, please get a G1 Gaming.

1590Mhz G1 Gaming. Can confirm.

Project Cobalt: 

CPU: AMD FX 8370 Motherboard:

Asus M5A97 R2.0

RAM: G.Skill Ares 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 2133 GPU:

Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming Case: NZXT H440 (Blue)

Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 256GB +  2x 1TB WD Cavier Blue

PSU: Corsair 750G2 

CPU Cooler: Swiftech H220X

Keyboard: Model M + a lot of others 

Mouse: Logitech G502

Vintage Gaming PC: AMD Athlon T-Bird 800Mhz, Gainward nVidia Ti200 128MB, 512MB Crucial RAM DDR, Compaq ASPEN 2 OEM Board, Soundblaster Live! 5.1, Windows 98SE

1590Mhz G1 Gaming. Can confirm.

I can hit 1558MHz max on my core with no memory overclock and 1548 with a memory overclock of 8GHz effective just fine. <3 Samsung memory

Also, I didn't try 1550MHz, but might be able to get away with that.

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

It's @Lays tutorial

Yeah, so I guess I followed linus' tutorial of lays' tutorial xD

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

G1 gaming or the Galax HoF if you can find one

Evidence Of Evil

Listen to me: 

Do the following: get the cheapes possible 970 and spend that extra money on the NZXT watercooling bracket, voila! Best cooling solution at that price point. I think the bracket costs like 20 or 30 bucks and a standard liquid cooler form them goes for 60 or a bit more. In the end you look like a badass and have the best cooling for your gup! porvided the case can support a radiator somewhere :P

I can hit 1558MHz max on my core with no memory overclock and 1548 with a memory overclock of 8GHz effective just fine. <3 Samsung memory

Also, I didn't try 1550MHz, but might be able to get away with that.

Yea I've haven't messed with the memory yet. (Have Samsung memory as well)

The G1 is one hell of a overclocker. Im still testing 1590 but for sure 1585Mhz is stable. 1600 it achieves easily, but sadly isnt stable enough for long term gaming :(

Project Cobalt: 

CPU: AMD FX 8370 Motherboard:

Asus M5A97 R2.0

RAM: G.Skill Ares 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 2133 GPU:

Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming Case: NZXT H440 (Blue)

Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 256GB +  2x 1TB WD Cavier Blue

PSU: Corsair 750G2 

CPU Cooler: Swiftech H220X

Keyboard: Model M + a lot of others 

Mouse: Logitech G502

Vintage Gaming PC: AMD Athlon T-Bird 800Mhz, Gainward nVidia Ti200 128MB, 512MB Crucial RAM DDR, Compaq ASPEN 2 OEM Board, Soundblaster Live! 5.1, Windows 98SE

My vote is the EVGA SSC... it's the best of both worlds, overclocks like mad, still runs quiet and cool. And they are pretty cheap. I have two :)

Edit: Make sure you know there is a difference between the SC and SSC models.

Well I just got my EVGA SC GTX 970 ACX 2.0 card today, I have not tested it or hooked it up but let me tell you.. It's beautiful. 

I vote for the EVGA SSC, I have one and LOVE IT!!! 

I vote EVGA as well, love mine and looks amazing.

Am I the only one around here who really doesn't like pcpartpicker?
I also like Ubisoft and Origin/EA          
Guess I'm just odd that way.

HATER OF MAIL IN REBATES!

Gigabyte G1 Gaming for its awesome cooling and overclockability .

When everything else Fails,Crowbar IT. - Half-life

Being a Linux user is sort of like living in a house inhabited by a large family of carpenters and architects. Every morning when you wake up, the house is a little different. Maybe there is a new turret, or some walls have moved. Or perhaps someone has temporarily removed the floor under your bed." - Unix for Dummies, 2nd Edition (Found in the .sig of Rob Riggs) 

Twin frozr? Looks bloody sick and overclocks pretty well due to its cooling.

So I'm looking to buy a GTX 970. Right now I'm contemplating between a Nvidia GTX 970 with it's reference cooler and a Gigabyte GTX 970. I love the way the reference card looks, but it's not about the looks, it's about the performance. Any suggestions?

I didn't troll through the 40 replies but I strongly recommend the ASUS STRIX!!!

I own two and they are awesome and don't make a sound! No coil whine in either!

Sapphire *troll*

My Main PC:

CPUi5 3570k CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper T4 Motherboard: Asus p8z77-v pro  RAM: Crucial Balistic 2x4gb  GPU: Two PNY GTX 680's in SLI Case: Some rando Antec one  PSU: Thermaltake 1000w  Display: HP Elite Display 321i 23''  Storage: Samsung 840 Evo 128gb, Seagate Barracuda 1tb

I'm in the GPU shopping boat as well and have narrowed it down to the Zotac Amp Extreme and Gigabyte G1 Gaming.

From what I've read and from the specs these seem like a couple of really good cards.

The Zotac looks freaking amazing too. Not sure which to get. I want Zotac but the price tag :/

If you can fit these cards is there any reason not to get one?

Edit: I'll throw the HOF in here as well because it's pretty much amazing too but hard to find on

Sale and the price is still really high.

Yea I've haven't messed with the memory yet. (Have Samsung memory as well)

The G1 is one hell of a overclocker. Im still testing 1590 but for sure 1585Mhz is stable. 1600 it achieves easily, but sadly isnt stable enough for long term gaming :(

Samsung stuff can have insane overclocks... And since I did beat my record in valley for an overclock since it seems my gpu is wanting to break in more, a +660 offset on the memory... Stable... That is 8.36GHz effective with no artifacts, flickering, or crashing... :o But I'd never run it at that all day, so I settle with 8GHz effective daily... Except dem idle temps with three monitors. :/

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

I went with the EVGA 970 SSC, the cooler is pretty damn good, and so are the clocks...don't even need to OC it

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.8GHZGPU: MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X (X2 - SLI)RAM: 24GB | Storage: 128GB 960 PRO M.2 SSD, 1TB & 750GB HDD | Operating System: Windows 10, MacOS High Sierra

I have an MSI 970 gaming edition card it's a beast and its like 30 bucks cheaper than the gigabyte

Whelp forgot to include a drain valve in my loop, there's always next time.