What GTX 970 should I purchase?

So I'm looking to buy a GTX 970. Right now I'm contemplating between a Nvidia GTX 970 with it's reference cooler and a Gigabyte GTX 970. I love the way the reference card looks, but it's not about the looks, it's about the performance. Any suggestions?

My vote is the EVGA SSC... it's the best of both worlds, overclocks like mad, still runs quiet and cool. And they are pretty cheap. I have two :)

Edit: Make sure you know there is a difference between the SC and SSC models.

The projects never end in my line of work.

CPU: Dual Xeon E5-2650v2 || GPU: Dual Quadro K5000 || Motherboard: Asus Z9PE-D8 || RAM: 64GB Corsair Vengeance || Monitors: Dual LG 34UM95, NEC MultiSync EA244UHD || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 Pro 256GB in Raid 0, 6x WD Re 4TB in Raid 1 || Sound: Xonar Essense STX (Mainly for Troubleshooting and listening test) || PSU: Corsair Ax1500i

CPU: Core i7 5820k @ 4.7GHz || GPU: Dual Titan X || Motherboard: Asus X99 Deluxe || RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport || Monitors: MX299Q, 29UB65, LG 34UM95 || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB in Raid 0, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, 2TB Toshiba scratch disk, 3TB Seagate Barracuda || PSU: EVGA 1000w PS Platinum

Well I just got my EVGA SC GTX 970 ACX 2.0 card today, I have not tested it or hooked it up but let me tell you.. It's beautiful. 

never buy refference coolers. they suck.

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones. 

That reference card is an oven though. Gigabyte for dayz my man

AMD FX8350  2x ASUS Radeon R9 270X 4GB  ASUS Sabertooth 990FX  -  Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3 16GB

never buy refference coolers. they suck.

Unless you want to have the option to water cool it. You can't (edit: always) do that with an AIB manufacturer.

CPU: Dual Xeon E5-2650v2 || GPU: Dual Quadro K5000 || Motherboard: Asus Z9PE-D8 || RAM: 64GB Corsair Vengeance || Monitors: Dual LG 34UM95, NEC MultiSync EA244UHD || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 Pro 256GB in Raid 0, 6x WD Re 4TB in Raid 1 || Sound: Xonar Essense STX (Mainly for Troubleshooting and listening test) || PSU: Corsair Ax1500i

CPU: Core i7 5820k @ 4.7GHz || GPU: Dual Titan X || Motherboard: Asus X99 Deluxe || RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport || Monitors: MX299Q, 29UB65, LG 34UM95 || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB in Raid 0, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, 2TB Toshiba scratch disk, 3TB Seagate Barracuda || PSU: EVGA 1000w PS Platinum

All about that ASUS 970 STRIX. Or at least...its what I have and personally love.

It only has a 8 pin power and shit binning.

PEWDIEPIE DONT CROSS THAT BRIDGE

Unless you want to have the option to water cool it. You can't do that with an AIB manufacturer.

G1 Gaming has a EK WB already out..

All about that ASUS 970 STRIX. Or at least...its what I have and personally love.

If your overclocking, eh, and I personally don't like the cooler...

If you really want to do overclocking, please get a G1 Gaming.

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

I would recommend Gigabyte or MSi

EVGA lost my trust after doing that stupid thing where they misplaced the heatsink. Occasional design flaws are ok in my opinion to a certain degree. EVGA just made a completely stupid blunder in their design. If not for that I would probably recommend them along with Gigabyte.

Gigabyte is a great overclocker and so is the MSi. The Gigabyte seems to be made out of better quality material than the MSi while the MSi is made of plastic

Im so patriotic, I piss red white and blue. My doctor told me it was pancreatic cancer, I told him to SHUT HIS COMMIE MOUTH.

-A shotgun wielding redneck

So I'm looking to buy a GTX 970. Right now I'm contemplating between a Nvidia GTX 970 with it's reference cooler and a Gigabyte GTX 970. I love the way the reference card looks, but it's not about the looks, it's about the performance. Any suggestions?

Okay fixed! Now I can reply. :D

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

Initially I wanted to go with the G1 Gaming, but it's such a long cooler that, in order to fit it in my 500R, I would need to remove a disk cage. But I need them both. I got the ASUS Strix instead because there was a good discount. Plus, my previous GPU was also an Asus and I was satisfied. The backplate also made me prefer it over EVGA GPUs since these don't have one (or at least, available at the time). Turns out, I like it. It does a little bit of coil whine sometimes though.

G1 Gaming has a EK WB already out..

Not all of them have a dedicated one. Some are only the universal ones which aren't always right on.

Not all of them have a dedicated one. Some are only the universal ones which aren't always right on.

It's a dedicated full nickel block.

It's a dedicated full nickel block.

No I know, I was just saying not all of them have that option. There always is an option with reference.

I got the Asus 970 strikes and I'm loving it.  I would also recommend the evga ssc I heard good things about it.

I vote for the EVGA SSC, I have one and LOVE IT!!! 

Official Profile for Addon Customs LTD and Custom Acrylics
Addon Customs -
Custom LED Lighting | Single colour and RGB available, hand sleeved | Now making Phanteks Case compatible LED KITS
Custom Acrylics - Custom computer parts | GPU backplates, Fan Grills, NZXT H440 Fascias and PSU covers | 3D printing and Laser Cutting Service available.

At the end of the day the G1 Gaming is the quietest and best overclocker. It's just a bit longer.

Says who?

says me. they're warmer than any other partner card, and the caps on them are minimal, refference clocks are low compared to board partners. 

pros as stated above though,  water blocks.

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones. 

Asus 970 Strix dont go the referance coller they over heat to easy and usaly the specs on the board a worst on them

IAN :o

Not to be that guy, but working computer retail, the gigabyte is the most common 970 I see coming back. I'd go for the evga personally.

TekSyndicate Forum Moderator: https://forum.teksyndicate.com/users/njm1112

5930K@4.3Ghz | 16GB 4x4 2133Mhz | r9-290 | 6TB Raid5 | 250GB 850Evo | 8.1pro | RM750

Get the G1 Gaming, absolutely love the card, runs cool, quiet, and fast. (Follow linus' tutorial on vessel or wait around a week for it to come out on youtube to enable 0 rpm mode, I just did it and it worked flawlessly)

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W