Google will use Microsoft technology to finally imrpove its scrolling speed in Chrome

GoodBytes

After many years of avoiding Microsoft excellent technology, showcased in IE11 on web page scrolling, Google has decided to finally integrates Microsoft technology in Chrome. This will greatly benefit mouse scrolling and multi-touch scrolling.

If you use Chrome, you must be familiar with this problem, especially if you compare it to IE11.

Before, Google was using Touch Event technology, part of W3C to offer smooth scrolling. But now they will be joining Microsoft, Mozilla, and Opera who opted for Microsoft' Pointer Events technology (its open source technology). So what is Pointer Event? It is a set of low-level input APIs for mouse, touch and stylus introduced in IE (I believe it started in IE10 and perfected in IE11).

Google is finally adopting a standard that supports both mouse and touch navigation for its Chrome browser. If you’ve used a copy of Chrome on a Windows tablet recently then you’ll probably be familiar with the poor scrolling performance and general touch support, and it’s something Google will now address across all of its versions of Chrome. Google revealed today that it plans to support Pointer Events, a standard that was first introduced by Microsoft in Internet Explorer.

Google has traditionally focused its efforts on supporting Touch Events, a method used by Apple in its Safari browser. Microsoft, Mozilla, and Opera have all adopted Pointer Events, and Google says that feedback from the web community has led to the change in heart. With support for Pointer Events, scrolling and touch interactions should improve dramatically in Chrome. Google’s Rick Byers admits "replacing all touch event handlers with pointer event handlers will address the main longstanding source of scroll-start jank we see on Android."

Says The Verge.

Chrome and Android users won't see the change immediately. Google has announced they'll start implementing it, so it will take take before it comes out.

Source: http://www.theverge.com/2015/3/25/8291893/google-chrome-pointer-events-support

One thing that IE does better than chrome is definitely scrolling speed and touch support. For this reason I use IE only on my Surface Pro 2.

I would rather use Chrome, so I hope this works :D

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

Its about bloody time. Chrome on Windows is close to, but not quite, as friendly in some aspects as iTunes for windows. Baffling that tiny issues persist but at least Google is taking care of one. 

AGREED! Couldn't have said it any better! 

Using IE on mobile (WP 8.1), and coming from Android I can understand why Google would want to do this, the scrolling is much better, specially on phone-sized screens.

Finally, I've always hated how garbage the scrolling was in Chrome.

Every topic I post in dies.

Fuck scrolling speed.

Make chrome not lock up for 10 seconds when I first open it, regardless of the quality of my hardware. Seriously, shit is FUCKING INFURIATING.

Edit: Who the fuck has scrolling issues in chrome? Shit is instantaneous for me, except for opening the browser. If I wasn't so lazy, I'd plug my webcam in and show you. Only trouble I ever have is intermittent issues with clicking my mouse wheel and moving the mouse up and down, some times chrome doesn't want to register the mouse wheel click.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Yep, Scrolling!. it even amaze my friend who only use chrome when i show him how it's done in Firefox.

Finally, scrolling is so unbelievably laggy even on the fastest hardware in chrome.

Edit: Who the fuck has scrolling issues in chrome? Shit is instantaneous for me, except for opening the browser. If I wasn't so lazy, I'd plug my webcam in and show you. Only trouble I ever have is intermittent issues with clicking my mouse wheel and moving the mouse up and down, some times chrome doesn't want to register the mouse wheel click.

The instantaneous scrolling is the actual problem with Chrome; it is clunky and at times disorientating. When you make a directional click with the mouse wheel, it simply jumps to the new relative vertical position of the webpage and refreshes the frame. That sounds just fine, but it is not fun to read a PDF document this way, for one example. What Firefox does differently is that instead of jumping to the new position, it slides to the new area, with acceleration/deceleration in place to provide smoothness. Il this makes it better for not only reading length documents or large images, but also when you need to scroll quickly from the bottom to the top of the page, and vice versa. To add to that, it is not limited to the scroll size set in the mouse driver, which would allow the screen frame to be in any position of the page.

It is objectively better to have smooth scrolling than to be without it. Try for example a Wikipedia article on Antarctica, stock Chrome vs stock Firefox. Which provides a more comfortable reading experience?

Read the community standards; it's like a guide on how to not be a moron.

Gerdauf's Law: Each and every human being, without exception, is the direct carbon copy of the types of people that he/she bitterly opposes.

Remember, calling facts opinions does not ever make the facts opinions, no matter what nonsense you pull.

never really noticed this until I read this post  B) 

oh well, collaboration and progress is good 

wait there was an actual reason behind why scrolling was crappy on chrome lol

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

wait there was an actual reason behind why scrolling was crappy on chrome lol

Haha, I guess so. Glad its been taken care of.

- Fresher than a fruit salad.

Literally never noticed a problem and I use chrome 24/7. 

It's not even a slight problem for me???????

Sure it's not as smooth as say... the recent iterations of Office, but it's not "bad" either. It just works for me...

This is what I think of Pre-Ordering video games: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wp98SH3vW2Y

Is this referring to mobile? My note 4 doesn't scroll until I move quite a lot my finger and then it jumps a bit. On PC I haven't noticed anything.

the only time I notice scrolling issues is when i am looking at a PDF, not all but some. other than that, when scrolling through webpages, I do not notice any problems. 

CM Storm Switch Tester MOD (In-Progress) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/409147-cm-storm-switch-tester-macro-mod/

Ammo Can Speaker 02 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/283826-ammo-can-speakers-02/       A/B Switch V 0.5 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/362417-ab-switch-v0

Build 01 - The Life of a Prodigy -  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/13103-build-01-the-life-of-a-prodigy/             Build 02 - Silent Server 3000 - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/116670-build-02-silent-server-3000/

The instantaneous scrolling is the actual problem with Chrome; it is clunky and at times disorientating. When you make a directional click with the mouse wheel, it simply jumps to the new relative vertical position of the webpage and refreshes the frame. That sounds just fine, but it is not fun to read a PDF document this way, for one example. What Firefox does differently is that instead of jumping to the new position, it slides to the new area, with acceleration/deceleration in place to provide smoothness. Il this makes it better for not only reading length documents or large images, but also when you need to scroll quickly from the bottom to the top of the page, and vice versa. To add to that, it is not limited to the scroll size set in the mouse driver, which would allow the screen frame to be in any position of the page.

It is objectively better to have smooth scrolling than to be without it. Try for example a Wikipedia article on Antarctica, stock Chrome vs stock Firefox. Which provides a more comfortable reading experience?

Hadn't considered smoothness. Good point.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs