Roommate Fail... Thanks... Virus

ssk4212

Why yes, I will be a nice roommate and let you watch a video for class on my pc.... Come home to find programs installed, and ads spamming throughout my browser with general surfing.  

Does anyone have suggestions for the best way to clean this mess up?

-Joe

P.S. Not used to viruses, been using a mac for 4 years 

Why yes, I will be a nice roommate and let you watch a video for class on my pc.... Come home to find programs installed, and ads spamming throughout my browser with general surfing.  

Does anyone have suggestions for the best way to clean this mess up?

-Joe

P.S. Not used to viruses, been using a mac for 4 years 

CCcleaner, malwarebytes and look around Control Panel and Chrome extensions yourself to remove some stuff.

Also run a virus scanner, like the one from Avast

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Malwarebytes will destroy everything, boot up in safe mode and try to surf the web it will detect problems as you go along. Then malwarebytes will clean up the rest.

malware bytes. enable rootkits and run a full scan

eGPU Setup: Macbook Pro 13" 16GB DDR3 RAM, 512GB SSD, i5 3210M, GTX 980 eGPU

New PC: i7-4790k, Corsair H100iGTX, ASrock Fatal1ty Z97 Killer, 24GB Ram, 850 EVO 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD, GTX 1080 Fractal Design R4, EVGA Supernova G2 650W

The way I use is just wiping the entire OS and reinstalling it, but if you can download An antivirus program and Malware Bytes to remove Adware. 

Quick and easy scanning that will fix 95% of problems: JRT Scanner and ADW Cleaner. There are other utilities you should probably use as well, like Malwarebytes, but these two are easy and work exceedingly well in my experience (we use them in a corporate environment as the 1st line of virus removal after a reported infection). It never hurts to use more than one scanner, just don't use multiple installed active virus software.

CPU: i5 4670k • Cooler: Corsair H100i • Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPOWER • RAM: Crucial Ballistix Elite 2x 8GB • Storage: Samsung 840 250GB SSD, 2x WD Red 3TB • GPU: EVGA GTX 780 3GB • PSU: Corsair RM750W • Case: Corsair 750D • Mouse: Razer Naga 2012 (I actually use the thing for productivity/media buttons) • Keyboard: Ducky Shine 3 w/ Browns - Green LED • Monitor: Asus PB278Q 27" 2560 x 1440, ASUS PB238Q 23" 1920x1080 • Lighting: 2m NZXT Sleeved Blue LED Strip • pcpartpicker.com/p/3cHfZ

If you run any malware programs, run it multiple times until everything is gone. Sometimes multiple scans is needed.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

CCcleaner, malwarebytes and look around Control Panel and Chrome extensions yourself to remove some stuff.

9590|EK-Copper|Sabertooth 990FXR2.0|16GB RIPJAWS Z|Dual MSI Gaming 290|Corsiar AX1200i|Corsair 760T|3TB Seagate+Dual 120GB Samsung 850EVO in Raid 0

LTT'S Official Radeon Master Race Club Founder-Predicts TitanX2 (Prediction Date: 3-30-15)

XFX Needs To Make A 3 Fan Cooler 

Run an Antivirus and Anti-Malware, or re-install OS.

Also, grab your favorite handgun and shoot that bloke in the knee.

Basic guide to CPU's!

If I said I were 14, you would call me a kid. If I say 70, you’ll entitle me too old. If I say 20 you say I’m inexperienced and if I say 40 than I'm too boring.

龴 ͡ↀ ◡ ͡ↀ龴#locked( ͡͡ ° ͜ ʖ ͡ °)

id restore from a recovery point personally I dunno how effective that is though. If it failed id run aV software of course.

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

Also run a virus scanner, like the one from Avast

Malwarebytes will destroy everything, boot up in safe mode and try to surf the web it will detect problems as you go along. Then malwarebytes will clean up the rest.

Quick and easy scanning that will fix 95% of problems: JRT Scanner and ADW Cleaner. There are other utilities you should probably use as well, like Malwarebytes, but these two are easy and work exceedingly well in my experience (we use them in a corporate environment as the 1st line of virus removal after a reported infection). It never hurts to use more than one scanner, just don't use multiple installed active virus software.

If you run any malware programs, run it multiple times until everything is gone. Sometimes multiple scans is needed.

Awesome, thanks for all the advice everyone!  Seems to working as it was before after running all of the programs you recommended above.

You literally copied my post. Y U DO DIS?!

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

You literally copied my post. Y U DO DIS?!

I was feeling to lazy to type it myself

9590|EK-Copper|Sabertooth 990FXR2.0|16GB RIPJAWS Z|Dual MSI Gaming 290|Corsiar AX1200i|Corsair 760T|3TB Seagate+Dual 120GB Samsung 850EVO in Raid 0

LTT'S Official Radeon Master Race Club Founder-Predicts TitanX2 (Prediction Date: 3-30-15)

XFX Needs To Make A 3 Fan Cooler