Cheapo PSU for 4690K / windforce 960

Toxicable
Go to solution Solved by quan289,

Sorry for the 0 replies. Been at uni all day etc.

After reading over the suggestions i've found the: 

Antec High Current Gamer 520W PSU, 80PLUS Bronze for $92

They do have a cheaper one at $62 but im gonna go ahead and assume it's absolute rubbish.

As for XFX 

XFX Pro Series Core Edition 550W PSU, 80Plus Bronze for 105

and Seasonic

Seasonic S12II Bronze Series 430W 80Plus Power Supply for $100

Seasonic S12II Bronze Series 520W 80Plus Power Supply for $110

as opposed to the ones i mentioned before which were around the $80 price point

I should as probably mention that I do actually have the EVGA 500 bronze purchased a few weeks ago (before consulting you guys) but it's been suffering from coil whine so I should be able to RMA it hopefully in exchange for a slightly better quality one.

All of the unit you have listed, with the exception of the EVGA B, is based on the same Seasonic GB/GM platform (S12II-B ) internally. Get the Antec HCG-520 as it is cheaper.

So looking at over-clocking both CPU/GPU, moreso the GPU but only up to about the 1400mhz mark. Anywa ideas for cheapo PSU's that might do it?

I'm sure you've seen lots of members here say that 'cheap' and 'PSU' should never be used in the same sentence. 

Maybe you can take a look at Corsair's CX series. It's rather well regarded and not too expensive. 

So looking at over-clocking both CPU/GPU, moreso the GPU but only up to about the 1400mhz mark. Anywa ideas for cheapo PSU's that might do it?

What country are you in? Suggestions are kinda useless without knowing what market you are buying in if you're looking for cheap.

Titan: Intel Core i7-5820K | ASUS X99-A | Crucial Ballistix Sport 4x4GB DDR4-2400 | ASUS Strix GeForce GTX 970 | OCZ Arc 100 2x256GB in RAID 0 | Seagate Barracuda 2x2TB in RAID 1

EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 | Fractal Design Define R5 Titanium Window | Phanteks PH-TC14PE | ASUS BW-12B1ST

Yes, we need to know where you are from, in order to provide you recommendation(s) on what to buy. Better yet, providing links to the store(s) you are able to buy from will help the people here know what's available to you at what price.

What country are you in? Suggestions are kinda useless without knowing what market you are buying in if you're looking for cheap.

Yes, we need to know where you are from, in order to provide you recommendation(s) on what to buy. Better yet, providing links to the store(s) you are able to buy from will help the people here know what's available to you at what price.

I'm sure you've seen lots of members here say that 'cheap' and 'PSU' should never be used in the same sentence. 

Maybe you can take a look at Corsair's CX series. It's rather well regarded and not too expensive. 

Sorry im in New Zealand

Ive been looking at soemthing like;

VS 550 v2 

CX 500

EVGA 500

Those seam to be the cheapest but still enough to power the system reasonably.

Sorry im in New Zealand

VS 550 v2 

CX 500

EVGA 500

XFX PSU's are fairly reasonably priced and good quality, made by Seasonic, I would suggest the TS series if you don't need modular PSU's.

Sorry im in New Zealand

VS 550 v2 

CX 500

EVGA 500

Oh. What's your budget? $90 NZD?

Sorry im in New Zealand

VS 550 v2 

CX 500

EVGA 500

The capacitors in all of those PSUs are either cheap Samxon, Capxons,Teapos, or some other junk and sell it off with their company sticker on it.

Unless you want to risk this happening to your PC:

- The capacitors burst and went up in smoke, leaving brown liquid dripping out of the PSU.

Make sure you buy a quality PSU. That's the one part of the computer you DO NOT want to cheap out on. I don't know how many times I have to repeat this.

The capacitors in all of those PSUs are either cheap Samxon, Capxons,Teapos, or some other junk and sell it off with their company sticker on it.

Not true about the XFX ones.

But @Toxicable if XFX TS series is within your budget, they're quality units. I know that in the US they're often the cheapest quality unit available.

Titan: Intel Core i7-5820K | ASUS X99-A | Crucial Ballistix Sport 4x4GB DDR4-2400 | ASUS Strix GeForce GTX 970 | OCZ Arc 100 2x256GB in RAID 0 | Seagate Barracuda 2x2TB in RAID 1

EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 | Fractal Design Define R5 Titanium Window | Phanteks PH-TC14PE | ASUS BW-12B1ST

@RazrLeaf I should have been clearer, I meant the three PSUs the OP had posted. The XFX PSUs mentioned use good quality Japanese caps and are well designed, can't go wrong with them.

Sorry im in New Zealand

VS 550 v2 

CX 500

EVGA 500

None of those PSUs are generally that fantastic. Take a look into more better-built stuff, by Seasonic, Antec, or XFX.

"Rawr XD"

XFX PSU's are fairly reasonably priced and good quality, made by Seasonic, I would suggest the TS series if you don't need modular PSU's.

Oh. What's your budget? $90 NZD?

Not true about the XFX ones.

But @Toxicable if XFX TS series is within your budget, they're quality units. I know that in the US they're often the cheapest quality unit available.

None of those PSUs are generally that fantastic. Take a look into more better-built stuff, by Seasonic, Antec, or XFX.

They do have a cheaper one at $62 but im gonna go ahead and assume it's absolute rubbish.

As for XFX 

and Seasonic

I should as probably mention that I do actually have the EVGA 500 bronze purchased a few weeks ago (before consulting you guys) but it's been suffering from coil whine so I should be able to RMA it hopefully in exchange for a slightly better quality one.

As for XFX 

and Seasonic

All of the unit you have listed, with the exception of the EVGA B, is based on the same Seasonic GB/GM platform (S12II-B ) internally. Get the Antec HCG-520 as it is cheaper.

Relative to the EVGA 500B price the High Current Gamer is definitely worth it, but it seems to be out of stock. For in-stock products at that store specifically, the XFX ProSeries 550W will be your best bet. 

"Rawr XD"

Relative to the EVGA 500B price the High Current Gamer is definitely worth it, but it seems to be out of stock. For in-stock products at that store specifically, the XFX ProSeries 550W will be your best bet. 

I should be able to get it ordered in and I don't mind waiting since i'm still waiting on my graphics card anyway

Upon searching on a few NZ stores that I know of, if you don't mind the lack of sleeved cables, the Antec VP550P is also a good option as well for the same price point if you can buy it here: http://www.computerdirect.co.nz/products/productcode.asp?grp=&CODE=POWANT08

Here's a review on it: http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Antec/VP550P/

I should be able to get it ordered in and I don't mind waiting since i'm still waiting on my graphics card anyway

If you're able to do that then the High Current Gamer 520 is a great choice, as is the Neo Eco 620.

"Rawr XD"