A quick PSA about Linus' latest video

megadarkwood

I just wanted to let people know that when buying really cheap LED strips from Ebay or Amazon to be very careful because lots of things can be wrongly listed/advertised. There have been many times where I have bought 5V LED strips and received 12V strips .etc or they have shorted out my whole PSU because of shitty soldering. BUY ONLY FROM TRUSTED SELLERS!

Also, most strips will be advertised to come with 3M Tape but most likely if they cost under $25 they will NOT have real 3m adhesive, it WILL fall off and ruin your day. So, I suggest getting good, proper strips with real 3m adhesive or getting a hot glue gun to go with it. 

Here are the sellers I recommend buying from: 

BEFORE YOU ORDER: Remember, these are mostly from China or Hong Kong, shipping isn't going to be very quick. 

If you have any questions, PM me or ask here.

just thought I would let you guys know.

@LinusTech

Main Rig: -FX8150 -32gb Kingston HyperX BLUE -120gb Kingston HyperX SSD -1TB WD Black -ASUS R9 270 DCUII OC -Corsair 300r -Full specs on Profile

Other Devices: -One Plus One 64gb Sandstone Black -Canon T5 -Moto G -Pebble Smartwatch -Nintendo 2DS -G27 Racing Wheel

#PlugYourStuff - 720penis - 1080penis - #KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #HashtagsAreALifestyle - CAR BOUGHT: 2010 Corolla

Thanks, ill keep this in mind when getting some LEDs for my rig once I get a corsair air 540

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Even normal 3M tape is crap. The problem is that the adhesive is very flat, and will not stick on painted surfaces like a case, especially when upside down or around tight bends.

The best option is to peel the adhesive off the strip, then buy double sided foam tape, and this will stick for years without coming off.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Even normal 3M tape is crap. The problem is that the adhesive is very flat, and will not stick on painted surfaces like a case, especially when upside down or around tight bends.

The best option is to peel the adhesive off the strip, then buy double sided foam tape, and this will stick for years without coming off.

Or like I said, Hot glue!

Main Rig: -FX8150 -32gb Kingston HyperX BLUE -120gb Kingston HyperX SSD -1TB WD Black -ASUS R9 270 DCUII OC -Corsair 300r -Full specs on Profile

Other Devices: -One Plus One 64gb Sandstone Black -Canon T5 -Moto G -Pebble Smartwatch -Nintendo 2DS -G27 Racing Wheel

#PlugYourStuff - 720penis - 1080penis - #KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #HashtagsAreALifestyle - CAR BOUGHT: 2010 Corolla

Or like I said, Hot glue!

hot glue works too, but that can get messy if youre not careful with the amount you put :P

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

hot glue works too, but that can get messy if youre not careful with the amount you put :P

All my strips are put on with hot glue, it takes practice to make it look good!

I don't know what kind of 3m tape you are using, but where we work we use the thick double sided tape, to stick moldings and emblems on vehicles, and have never had a problem with it.

I don't know what kind of 3m tape you are using, but where we work we use the thick double sided tape, to stick moldings and emblems on vehicles, and have never had a problem with it.

I'm talking about the thin 3M double sided adhesive that comes on LED strips from NZXT, Bitfenix, and almost every other manufacturer.

Spoiler

I'm talking about the thin 3M double sided adhesive that comes on LED strips from NZXT, Bitfenix, and almost every other manufacturer.

It likely is the same fake 3M tape as the cheap strips. I still personally believe that 90% of LED strips come from the same few factories in China... the increase in price on most is because they have a fancy logo slapped on them. The Bitfenix strips for instance have identical PCB markings to Supernight, which I know uses fake 3M tape.

You've just never used authentic 3M tape, even the thin stuff works just fine, but it is extremely pricey. 

or you can purchase from @Mnpctech /Dazmode line of Darkside LEDs

I haven't tried those, if he wants to shoot me some samples ;) maybe I can voice my opinion :P