How do you stop yourself from impulse buying?

Virtual01

Chainsaw? What is this? Use an axe! This is Canadia after all!

Naw, mang. The mitten is where it's at. ;)

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Not having time to play is a first but now that I switched to PC gaming i have a huge list of games from past gen to play at 1440p max details 60fps and new current games which I also have no time to play :) Therefore I usually wait when they drop on price ;)

Naw, mang. The mitten is where it's at. ;)

By Talos! Say it isn't so!

Intel Core i7 4770k - 2x Geforce GTX 780 - MSI Z87 MPower Max - Corsair H60 - 8GB Avexir Core Series MPower Yellow + 4gb no-brand DDR3 - Corsair Obsidian 750d - AData XPG SX900 256gb SSD - Seagate Barracuda 3TB (7200 RPM) - Hitachi 250GB 2.5in HDD (3200 RPM) - WD HDD 160GB extracted from iMac via black magic (no specified RPM) - ASUS VG248QE 144HZ 3d Vision Monitor - Logitech G602 - Ducky Shine 3 TKL - AKG 172 HD Headphones - Xperia z2 - Sony Noise canceling earphones -  Nikon D5200 With Bundled Lenses - Windows 7 Home Premium - Blue Snowball iCE - Acer Aspire X with a broken case, AMD A6, and Raijintek Aidos CPU heatsink

What are some things that you guys do to avoid buying every decent looking game on steam?

I talk to my friends before I buy anything on steam (or really anything random that i dont need...)

I just talk to my dad about buying it and he down votes any idea about using money. Period. 

I keep most of my money either in either managed funds or cash, in terms of day to day money i leave a little in a debit card and i don't have a credit card at all. Keeping things like this is what prevents me from ordering a Titan X right now lol i have the self control to not go for a drive and buy one but if i could do it here from home on the PC i would probably cave in when bored. 

Im poor and to skinny for my size, i just look in the mirror or talk to my family. I spend most my money on food, i will impulse buy food, i dont have alot of time to make food thats my excuse.

I just check my band statement and remind myself how tight money is :P

I think back to the time I bought DayZ and the shame I feel from it now.. Never again. That game is a turd.

i5 4690K @ 4.5Ghz | OC'd XFX R9 290 | 8GB DDR3-1600 | 1TB HDD, 250GB SSD | Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H | 650W Rosewill PSU | Rosewill Thor White V2 Case | Windows 8.1 | 1440p 144Hz Freesync 27" |1080p 60Hz 24"

Ok, walk down to your kitchen and grab a pair of scissors, now this next part is really important pay close attention. I want you to line it up right in the middle of your credit card and cut that bitch in half. Problem solved

I did that but the only problem is that I can still read the numbers and on an impulse I gave all of my money too GabeN. Help me please.

I did that but the only problem is that I can still read the numbers and on an impulse I gave all of my money too GabeN. Help me please.

Blender and water.

I've never impulse bought anything on steam (go out of my way to avoid it), but in general, I just keep money in my transaction account that is for spending. Everything else goes into savings or term deposit or wherever.

Blender and water.

I've never impulse bought anything on steam (go out of my way to avoid it), but in general, I just keep money in my transaction account that is for spending. Everything else goes into savings or term deposit or wherever.

Thank god that worked. But I have my number written down. Oh god. GABEN SPARE ME!!!! But seriously, my steam library is worth 744 dollars in total, but with sales I've probably spent around 150-200. A lot of the games I have I did buy on impulse, but I don't regret that I did that. I have sunk a lot of hours into games that I thought would suck but bought during the summer sale and ended up being amazing.

Thank god that worked. But I have my number written down. Oh god. GABEN SPARE ME!!!! But seriously, my steam library is worth 744 dollars in total, but with sales I've probably spent around 150-200. A lot of the games I have I did buy on impulse, but I don't regret that I did that. I have sunk a lot of hours into games that I thought would suck but bought during the summer sale and ended up being amazing.

Well $750 is about my weekly impulse spend. Consider stream a cheap habit in that case!

I tend to stay away from the steam store section... and whenever I get the urge to get a game, I look into my steam library and check how many games I havn't touched after purchase and how long its been there... I crie everytime of all the money spent on games I havn't touched.

I've yet to find a way to not go overboard during the summer sale tho.

I wait for totalbiscuit to talk about it.

I did impulse buy the collectors edition of mortal combat since I wanted the statue 

Its all about those volumetric clouds

I try so hard not to spend money (it's my dads account). I've already spent 200$+ on sales. 

And now I tried to spend more in the previous sale. Steam didn't let me buy those stuff. Still isn't. Hope I haven't flushed out the money in the account :(

[spoiler=CORMAC]CPU:Intel celeron 1.6ghz RAM:Kingston 400mhz 1.99gb MOBO:MSI G31TM-P21 GPU:Will add one later on! CASE:local ROUTER D-Link 2750U, D-LINK 2730U MOUSE:HP,DELL,ViP KEYBOARD: v7 SPEAKERS:Creative 245  MONITOR:AOC E970Sw HEADSET: Sony MDRx05s UPS:conex ups avr 500va PSU:idk OD:Samsung super writemaster STORAGE:80 gb seagate+ Seagate 1TB OS:Windows xp sp3 themed to Windows 7 + Linux |Rest all pc in my house will be updated from time-time

COMING SOON

I haven't stopped myself from doing that yet... I find myself scrolling through their discounts almost every week  :(

I ask myself, "Will I play it? Will I get to the finish? Is it worth it?" *Buys game, installs, never play it* Oh...

What are some things that you guys do to avoid buying every decent looking game on steam?

I don't when it comes to sales. I mean I use to pay full retail price for every game until I discovered Steam. I went from like 4 games on Steam to over 390 games lol. I only buy when they are 75% discount or 66% discount for GOTY.

Love cats and Linus. Check out linuscattips-fan-club. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Z9QDVn and Asus ROG Swift. I love anime as well. Check out Heaven Society heaven-society. My own personal giveaway thread http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/387856-evga-geforce-gtx-970-giveaway-presented-by-grimneo/.

Just think, it'll always be in the next sale... Probably :P

Midori:

Specs: Intel i5 4690K | Asus Strix GTX 1070 |  2x4gb Corsair Vengeance DDR3 @1600MHz| Samsung 850 Pro 250GB | WD Blue 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 750W | NZXT H440 Black/Green

Cooling:|2 Stock NZXT Case fans | 2 Noctua F-A14 FLXNoctua NF-P14S-1200 |

Peripherals: Corsair LUX RGB K70 Silent| Corsair RGB Sabre | Audio Technica M40X