400,000 apps in the App Store have never been downloaded says report

qwertywarrior

400000-apps-in-the-App-Store-have-never-

Would you be surprised to hear that more than 60% of the apps in the App Store have never been downloaded, even once? That's the conclusion of analytical firm Adeven. The latter even counted the number of flashlight apps and found that Apple iPhone users in need of a quick light have 1,899 choices. Christian Henschel, Adeven CEO, said that there are only a "couple of thousand apps" that get downloaded in number from Apple's on-line applications store.

The sad thing about this is that it goes against the hopes and dreams of a number of small developers who read about the success that major developers are having. It's easy to see a game like Angry Birds take off, make a ton of moola, and think that this money tree can be easily planted. The reality is that it takes money for promotion and a whole lot of luck. Adeven CEO Henschel says that without a proper search mechanism in the App Store, the only way to get noticed is through the lists showing the top titles.

http://www.phonearena.com/news/400000-apps-in-the-App-Store-have-never-been-downloaded-says-report_id32943

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Seriously ? Like the guy didn't even bother to download his own app ? 

They most likely already have it on their device before it gets on the app store.

I find this hard to believe

I don't always have time to study, but when I do, I don't.

Not that shocking. A lot of apps on all app stores are filler garbage. 

Also, August 2012. LOL. "Recent" news indeed. 

well i had this on my huge list of tabs

havnt restarted my pc in a while ......

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

@qwertywarrior, did you look at the date of the article before you posted that? LOL

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

It is kinda sad to see stuff like this. I don't think there would be any worse feeling as a content creator, having put a lot of thought, effort and passion into something, only the have it go unacknowledged by the world. That's what everything is like though. Almost everyone that tries to enter a field rarely has the luck or talent to be massively successful.

@qwertywarrior, did you look at the date of the article before you posted that? LOL

nope i had it open beside a few other newer tabs so i just assumed

nope i had it open beside a few other newer tabs so i just assumed

No worries mate! :)

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

Likely posted because it got to the front page of reddit yesterday, and no one paid attention to the date then either.

Because i saw it yesterday and thought it would be cool to post, but did notice the date.

Primary:

Intel i5 4670K (3.8 GHz) | ASRock Extreme 4 Z87 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical LP 2x8GB | Gigabyte GTX980ti | Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 240GB | Corsair RM 850W | Nanoxia Deep Silence 1| Ducky Shine 3 | Corsair m95 | 2x Monoprice 1440p IPS Displays | Altec Lansing VS2321 | Sennheiser HD558 | Antlion ModMic

HTPC:

Intel NUC i5 D54250WYK | 4GB Kingston 1600MHz DDR3L | 256GB Crucial M4 mSATA SSD | Logitech K400

NAS:

Thecus n4800 | WD White Label 8tb x4 in raid 5

Phones:

Oneplux 6t (Mint), Nexus 5x 8.1.0 (wifi only), Nexus 4 (wifi only)

Lol that article date. Still nice to know though.

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

Seriously ? Like the guy didn't even bother to download his own app ? 

That's what I do on android but since I don't have an apple phone I can't download the apps I produce there...though, if I'm working with a client I have them download it.

I knew something was wrong, I remember reading about this years ago xD.

The stars died for you to be here today.

A locked bathroom in the right place can make all the difference in the world.

This is halarious. Yet another marketing ploy by Apple.

Well played Tim Cook.

CPU: Intel i5-2400 Mobo: ASUS Maximus IV Gene-Z RAM: 8GB G.Skill DDR3 1333MHz GPU: Sapphire R9 280x Tri-X Case Corsair Obsidian Series 350D PSU: EVGA 500w 80+ Certified

It is kinda sad to see stuff like this. I don't think there would be any worse feeling as a content creator, having put a lot of thought, effort and passion into something, only the have it go unacknowledged by the world. That's what everything is like though. Almost everyone that tries to enter a field rarely has the luck or talent to be massively successful.

Plus apple takes 1/3 of all profits you make from your app.

But lots of first-time developers price their app at $5+ and everybody scrolls past them.

CPU: Intel i5-2400 Mobo: ASUS Maximus IV Gene-Z RAM: 8GB G.Skill DDR3 1333MHz GPU: Sapphire R9 280x Tri-X Case Corsair Obsidian Series 350D PSU: EVGA 500w 80+ Certified

This is halarious. Yet another marketing ploy by Apple.

Well played Tim Cook.

True but I bet the Android statistics are a bit worse, there's A LOT of crap on the play store even with Google attempting to moderate it more closely now.

well i had this on my huge list of tabs

havnt restarted my pc in a while ......

Do you know what we do to people who post obsolete stuff on these here forums?  WE has  inernetz lynch mob for obsolete folk like you!   :P 

And in further news, this is actually the first I've heard about it, so yeah, I guess it's still legit even if it was first published the day after windows 8 was released.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Very old news but whatever...

This is why I always say that the amount of apps don't matter. What matters is how good the creme de la creme apps for specific things are. When someone tells me "Windows Phone has X number of apps now!" I always go, "okay but how good is the best X compared to the best X on Android or iOS"? If it's not on par or better then it doesn't matter that you have 1500 other apps that does the same thing but worse.

True but I bet the Android statistics are a bit worse, there's A LOT of crap on the play store even with Google attempting to moderate it more closely now.

I guess thats valid... Apple is much more strict on accepting apps and also prices their development license very high to keep away the average-joe from making a crappy app and sending it in for approval.