What graphics card would you recommend for 3 monitors setup, without the need for DP adapter?

TheRagingGamer
Go to solution Solved by GzeroD,

A 290 will run 3 1080p screens off of one card 2 dvi and 1 hdmi so will all the new 900 series after the 960. 

and yeas a 295x2 will need dongles because most of it's connectors are mini display port.

I want to run 3 1080p monitors, Id prefer if the card was AMD,  I need to get reasonable frame rates at these games. I was looking at r9 290 and r9 290x but i don't know if they need a DP adapter. 
Does r9 295x2 need a DP adapter? 
I am going to buy this on summer so hopefully by then r9 3xx will come out and i will buy that but for now what do you recommend. 

Specs: AMD FX 6300 @ 4ghz, Asus R9 270 OC, 8gb Corsair xms3, Cooler Master GX 550w PSU, WD 500 blue, Gigabyte  GA-970A-DS3

A 290 will run 3 1080p screens off of one card 2 dvi and 1 hdmi so will all the new 900 series after the 960. 

and yeas a 295x2 will need dongles because most of it's connectors are mini display port.

System CPU : Ryzen 9 5950 doing whatever PBO lets it. Motherboard : Asus B550 Wifi II RAM 80GB 3600 CL 18 2x 32GB 2x 8GB GPUs Vega 56 & Tesla M40 Corsair 4000D Storage: many and varied small (512GB-1TB) SSD + 5TB WD Green PSU 1000W EVGA GOLD

You can trust me, I'm from the Internet.

I want to run 3 1080p monitors, Id prefer if the card was AMD,  I need to get reasonable frame rates at these games. I was looking at r9 290 and r9 290x but i don't know if they need a DP adapter. 

I am going to buy this on summer so hopefully by then r9 3xx will come out and i will buy that but for now what do you recommend. 

The 290x you can use the two DVI ports and an HDMI which will work no problem with a triple setup but for the r9 295 it will need adapters to go from mini DP to HDMI or DVI to connect your monitors unelss they have a DP in.

ummmm just no. 

that card's memory bit bus is not big enough to support all 4gb

and that card is only good for 1 1080p monitor

go with a 290x

Are you new to the forums???? read the Code of Conduct HERE WANT SOME AWESOME LTT THEMED WALLPAPERS??? check out XTanksSlayerX's wallpaper thread HERE 

"May our framerates be high, and our temperatures low" - PC MasterRace

error

System CPU : Ryzen 9 5950 doing whatever PBO lets it. Motherboard : Asus B550 Wifi II RAM 80GB 3600 CL 18 2x 32GB 2x 8GB GPUs Vega 56 & Tesla M40 Corsair 4000D Storage: many and varied small (512GB-1TB) SSD + 5TB WD Green PSU 1000W EVGA GOLD

Does this mean you don't want to use display port at all? For eyefinity, one monitor has to be display port, so the only way to do this would be Nvidia. Unless you mean you just don't want to use an adapter, in which case, literally any AMD card with a display port output

Feel free to message me if you want to chat!

Does this mean you don't want to use display port at all? For eyefinity, one monitor has to be display port, so the only way to do this would be Nvidia. Unless you mean you just don't want to use an adapter, in which case, literally any AMD card with a display port output

this is wrong

like I and another have said above a 290 series card can run 2 DVI and 1 HDMI

AMDs Hawaii chipset supports 3 monitors via any connection.

You can get a DP->DVI/HDMI Adapter for ~$30 that will allow a 3rd monitor on older cards.

As others have suggested a 290x is probably your best bet.

I personally took a more cost efficient method and bought 2 7970s from a closing mining farm to run my triple display setup.

This is a good option if you have the mobo support for it and a decent PSU.

I mean i don't want to use DP at all, because active DP adapter costs $20 and i don't want to spend that kind of money. 

Specs: AMD FX 6300 @ 4ghz, Asus R9 270 OC, 8gb Corsair xms3, Cooler Master GX 550w PSU, WD 500 blue, Gigabyte  GA-970A-DS3

this is wrong

like I and another have said above a 290 series card can run 2 DVI and 1 HDMI

I may well have outdated information. Did this change with the advent of the r9 - whatever series?

The 290x you can use the two DVI ports and an HDMI which will work no problem with a triple setup but for the r9 295 it will need adapters to go from mini DP to HDMI or DVI to connect your monitors unelss they have a DP in.

That's my wife's setup actually -- 3x1080p panels, two on DVI and the other on HDMI on an R9 290X. Works like a charm. Beyond the 2xDVI, an adapter will be necessary unless you run a monitor that will take HDMI or DP.

Wife's build: Amethyst - Ryzen 9 3900X, 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3200, ASUS Prime X570-P, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 12GB, Corsair Obsidian 750D, Corsair RM1000 (yellow label)

My build: Mira - Ryzen 7 3700X, 32GB EVGA DDR4-3200, ASUS Prime X470-PRO, EVGA RTX 3070 XC3, beQuiet Dark Base 900, EVGA 1000 G6

That's my wife's setup actually -- 3x1080p panels, two on DVI and the other on HDMI on an R9 290X. Works like a charm. Beyond the 2xDVI, an adapter will be necessary unless you run a monitor that will take HDMI or DP.

as far as i am aware there are HDMI to DVI-D adapters, which cost like $3. So that should not be a problem 

I may well have outdated information. Did this change with the advent of the r9 - whatever series?

Correct, with the Hawaii chipset(200 series) they redid the output logic to allow for 3 independent displays.

Your information is correct for all older chipsets though :)

I mean i don't want to use DP at all, because active DP adapter costs $20 and i don't want to spend that kind of money. 

As @brandishwar said it works no problem you won't need any kind of adapters using DP or adapters to change from one to another. If you have all DVI monitors just get an HDMI to DVI cable, it will basically eliminate all adapters of any kind.

http://www.amazon.com/Cables-Unlimited-PCM-2296-06-HDMI-Cable/dp/B0007MWE1E/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1426622438&sr=8-2&

Edited by W-L

Correct, with the Hawaii chipset(200 series) they redid the output logic to allow for 3 independent displays.

Your information is correct for all older chipsets though :)

Nice one, thanks for that. It was what put me off AMD cards, when I was building my PC a year or two ago!

Nice one, thanks for that. It was what put me off AMD cards, when I was building my PC a year or two ago!

Just curious, why this put you off AMD cards when, it was the same for nVidia at the time?

Just curious, why this put you off AMD cards when, it was the same for nVidia at the time?

600 and later  series supported 3 screens, 

600 and later  series supported 3 screens, 

ahh I have been misinformed; thought that they also required the use of a Display port monitor.